Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceroc Champs - when are you up for it?

Ceroc Champs - when are you up for it?

Just been thinking for a couple of days, and decided I need some advice. A bit of PRE-history:
    A chap I know came back from Ceroc champs and was blaming himself for not getting higher in competition, as he thought he wasn't adventurous enough.
    So many discussions were on the forum before about whether it's better to go for flashy moves rather than clean execution. Admittedly, smaller collection of flashy moves is more boring to watch, but surely it has to balance somehow?
    So, I've downloaded the whole lot of descriptions, rules, etc for Champs, and tried to read as much of it, as humanely (to my family) possible. What caught my attention is the "connection" between the dancers that the judges are - apparently! - looking for!
    The reason I am going through all this, is that I now want to go! The BIG question is - when do you feel that you CAN? Do you have to have absolutely no doubt in your mind that your standard is sufficient to compete? Or do you go just for a laugh, with standard-can-go-to-hell attitude?
    The other question is - how do you get a partner? Now, I would really, really, love to dance with one guy, but he is very good, and I don't want to hinder him with my mistakes - of which, I am sure, there would be plenty!!! He is quite ambitious, too, so if he'd go, he'd go to win, not just for fun. Do I really want to be blamed afterwards? Hmmm... NO.
    So, do you stalk your preferred dancer for next 3 months before you - OK, me! - pluck the courage to ask him if for the next year's champs? Or do you just go up to any dancer you like and have the "connection" with and ask?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Ceroc Champs - when are you up for it?

We entered the double trouble cat for the champs on the Thursday before they were held and only got about 4 hours rehersal in so no way were we ready to win. Esp as Double trouble is something i have never really done before and I feel it's abit cheesy.

Our plan was to go for thw Wow moves rather than clean execution (though we did try to get as clean as poss). We thought it would be the only chance we had.

Remember prior to and even on the night thinking we wouldn't place and it came as a major shock that we won.

Soooooo....

I guess with regards to when you are ready, the answer will be never. You will always feel that something can be done better or there is more moves to be learnt. My advice is just to go for it and have fun. If you don't enter because you feel you are not ready, you would have to wait a year to try again.

With regards to finding a dance partner...... Either start dating a dancer (but make sure they are either good or that you can make them good ) or just find someone who is relaxed and is not to wound up about winning. Nothings worse than committing yourself to something with someone you don't get on with.

Hope that helps.

My guess is that the answer to your question very much depends on what you want to achieve by competing.
    Anybody can enter, but you will not go in the same mindset if you want to win or just have a laugh.

If you're taking this seriously, and practice a lot with your partner, you will create expectations for yourselves, which can be met () or not ().

Why do you enjoy dancing ? Do you like the social and spontaneous aspect of it ? Do you like to 'perform', do you enjoy people watching you and doing lots of complicated moves ?

Do you want to 'measure' yourself compared to other dancers, get recognition by your peers ? Or are you just happy dancing ?

I've done only one competition for which I practiced (albeit just 5 hours spread on a week!) with my partner, and even that little practice created expectations, and stress . We didn't make it to the finals, and I really was disappointed. Since then, I've realised this is not why I dance and I don't want to get through that anymore. I still compete when given the occasion, but just for fun and certainly don't practice for it or worry about it. As a result, whatever the outcome of the comp, I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Why do you enjoy dancing ? Do you like the social and spontaneous aspect of it ? Do you like to 'perform', do you enjoy people watching you and doing lots of complicated moves ?

Do you want to 'measure' yourself compared to other dancers, get recognition by your peers ? Or are you just happy dancing ?
    The answer is - all of it! I do like flashy moves, but I equally like execution of a smaller set, cleaner. I do enjoy people watching me - if I didn't, I wouldn't have had the guts to go on stage.
    I like the fact that I get to dance with different people, that I know I am getting better at it, I like the music, I like the atmosphere, I like the workout, and that it keeps me in shape. So, I enjoy dancing for all those reasons.
    Which is very different to competing. I am not sure what I want to achieve by it - I suppose, just to say to myself - I can do it, and go and do it?!
    What was your original reason to go for a competition?

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    What was your original reason to go for a competition?
    hey I thought I was the one asking the questions here !

I had to think about it, because I didn't remember straight away. But now I remember it was because I wanted to get more practice, and to use the comp as 'an excuse' to dance more and improve. So, somehow, that didn't work too well... as even the little practice that we did was enough to create expectations. Mind you, I'm a very competitive person in life in general, so I suppose I was deluding myself by thinking that dancing was the area where I wouldn't be.

So if I ever had another comp for which I would get a partner well in advance, I think I would just dance socially with said partner but not spend time actually practicing moves etc. In any case, I think the best comp are the jack'n'jill / DWAS ones as you really get to see lead, follow and improvised musicality at its best - and that's what I'm interested in dancing (for example, I couldn't care less about flashy and complicated moves). Others prefer different things, and that's fine

I hadn't given the Scottish Competition much thought last year, but when Franck mentioned it during the class, and I happened to be partnered with one of my favourite dancers at the time, I asked her there and then.

I did it for a bit of fun but also to stretch myself. We spent some time practising which I think helped my dancing. On the day I did a DWAS and we entered the Intermediate category. I got through to the second round in the DWAS (and my partner got further), but we crashed out after the first round of the intermediate competition.

Oh well, disappointed not to do better, but we had fun.

Going to go for it again this year (with a different partner) but I have no great expectations of success. My dancing isn't about flashy moves and although there is a focus on good technique, ultimately it's the showy dancers who tend to win the competitions.

My advice is to go for it – ask your ideal partner, and if he says no, ask anyone else you enjoy dancing with. If you worry about letting your partner down and disappointment beforehand, then your fears might just happen. Try your best, enjoy yourself and remember to smile – no-one can expect anything more.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Nebula, you should go for it ...but how do you find the right man?
    I would like to compete in the near future, but Im finding it difficult to find a partner. I guess you need to find someone who you have connection with, your styles compliment one another and your at the same standard...but how do you know?
    My reasons for wanting to do competitions are that I think the practice would improve my dancing and therefore increase my enjoyment and It will give me something new and fun to do! Although the idea of dancing in front of so many people and being judged.... ....scary!!!

Zara xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    ...but how do you find the right man?
    I would like to compete in the near future, but Im finding it difficult to find a partner. I guess you need to find someone who you have connection with, your styles compliment one another and your at the same standard...but how do you know?
    On a typical freestyle night, I presume you'll have a fair number of really enjoyable dances. Any of the leads responsible for those good dances are worth asking.

If you can rank the dances, and thus the dancers, start at the top and work down. If doing well in the competition is most important to you, rank according to how good you think the dance looked. If it's more about having fun, rank by how much fun you had.

Finding partners to ask isn't difficult. Asking them is only a little bit more tricky. Getting a positive response is where it may get difficult.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    On a typical freestyle night, I presume you'll have a fair number of really enjoyable dances. Any of the leads responsible for those good dances are worth asking.

If you can rank the dances, and thus the dancers, start at the top and work down. If doing well in the competition is most important to you, rank according to how good you think the dance looked. If it's more about having fun, rank by how much fun you had.

Finding partners to ask isn't difficult. Asking them is only a little bit more tricky. Getting a positive response is where it may get difficult.
    Just make sure it is someone you will be getting on with if you are going to spend time practising. Can all become very stressfull.

I have heard tales from a few people who have had short tempered dance partners. Not a nice situ to be in.

If doing well in the competition is most important to you, rank according to how good you think the dance looked.
    Hmmm... as I don't see myself, how do I know? To think it looked good and to actually be able see that it looked good are two different things.
    If it's more about having fun, rank by how much fun you had.
    That's easy!!!

I like your logical steps!!!

Hmmm... as I don't see myself, how do I know? To think it looked good and to actually be able see that it looked good are two different things.
    Did he do any especially flashy moves with you? If you watch him dancing with other people, how does it look?

Good luck!

Did he do any especially flashy moves with you? If you watch him dancing with other people, how does it look?

Good luck!
    He does really nice drops - nothing too flashy for me to be uncomfortable with, but really nice. He is fast dancer - which I like, but he does breaks, too. he is a very good spinner - now, that I envy! It looks really good from the side when he and his partner match their pace. I know I am a more smooth dancer, but I like fast AND smooth at the same time - does that sound daft as a combination?

I like fast AND smooth at the same time - does that sound daft as a combination?
    Not at all. The ability to lead and dance smoothly allows for faster dancing.

Getting a positive response is where it may get difficult.
    Say impossible - so far, my two best shots have fallen down dead...

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post

With regards to finding a dance partner...... Either start dating a dancer (but make sure they are either good or that you can make them good ) or just find someone who is relaxed and is not to wound up about winning. Nothings worse than committing yourself to something with someone you don't get on with.

Hope that helps.
    Cant help thinking that dating a dancer to groom for a competition is a waste of the potential of dating someone for much more sincere reasons call me old fashoned , but hey!

Its healthier to establish a professional rapore with a dancer who has the same aims as you.

Having a relationship with someone you intend to compete with will most likely cause huge emotional problems that will only fog your ambition and focus.

You would need to be in a strong relationship first I think for other motives.

Just get out there and dance and enjoy

Commercial Operator

my two best shots have fallen down dead...

Hint - try not shooting them.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    We entered the double trouble cat for the champs
    You entered Double Trouble Category? WOW, you kept that quiet How did you get on ?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    You entered Double Trouble Category? WOW, you kept that quiet How did you get on ?
    We won. Kept it quite though. Don't want everyone to know.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Must not press the "move posts" button must not press the "move posts" button must not...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Must not press the "move posts" button must not press the "move posts" button must not...
    Do you have the move posts button hot keyed? I can imagine you have a big customized control desk with all the forum functions as big red buttons.

Anyway....

With regards to dating a dancer just to get a dance partner, it was tounge in cheek. If you are dating someone who turns out to be a great dancer then thats a plus.

Thread Information