Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spinning videos thread

Re: Spinning videos thread

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    See that advice is usefull.
    That advice is not just useful Woodie, if you manage to take it on board and change your lead as a consequence, it will revolutionise your ability to lead, and make following you so much more enjoyable and easy.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    That advice is not just useful Woodie, if you manage to take it on board and change your lead as a consequence, it will revolutionise your ability to lead, and make following you so much more enjoyable and easy.

We talking about dancing or in the bedroom?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

oooh insulting AndyMG now!!!
    Andy should be honored.

We talking about dancing or in the bedroom?
    I just puked. Some images are not made to ever cross my mind.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I just puked. Some images are not made to ever cross my mind.
    Sorry. Should have know putting Andy and Bedroom in the same thread would have had that result.

Dang. What's the minimum annoyance threshold I have to cross before I start getting free private lessons too?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Dang. What's the minimum annoyance threshold I have to cross before I start getting free private lessons too?
    I think someone mentioned recently the idea of putting up videos of yourself dancing and getting forumites to critique it and give advice. Sounds like a cross between an excellent idea and World War 3

Commercial Operator

Sorry. Should have know putting Andy and Bedroom in the same thread would have had that result.
    In my experience this is a normal reaction

Back on topic. I too have spent time with woodface helping correct his dancing! I think his problem is that he's trying to copy the great dancers and missing out on learning the fundamentals. I think this is one of the problems with the way MJ is taught. However, woodface has taken this to an extreme!

Unfortunately, more MJ classes are really not the answer. Nor is working on moves with a friend in private: neither will help him improve his technique. Woodface has so much enthusiam and so much potential it would be a shame if he didn't realise that potential. What I think woodface needs is private lessons with a professional dancer. My only concern is that he would be unbearable if he was actually right!

Come to think of it. He's unbearable on the Forum now - because he actually thinks that is IS right

Come on woodface, how many times do you need advice from the great and the good before you start taking it?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    You crossed that annoyance threshold years ago. However, it was nothing to do with your dancing

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Back on topic. I too have spent time with woodface helping correct his dancing! I think his problem is that he's trying to copy the great dancers and missing out on learning the fundamentals. I think this is one of the problems with the way MJ is taught. However, woodface has taken this to an extreme!

Unfortunately, more MJ classes are really not the answer. Nor is working on moves with a friend in private: neither will help him improve his technique. Woodface has so much enthusiam and so much potential it would be a shame if he didn't realise that potential. What I think woodface needs is private lessons with a professional dancer. My only concern is that he would be unbearable if he was actually right!

Come to think of it. He's unbearable on the Forum now - because he actually thinks that is IS right

Come on woodface, how many times do you need advice from the great and the good before you start taking it?
    I have never had advise from the great and good. Only you.

Actually Andy as I said earlier in this thread, I have had loads of advise and I am always after it. I like getting constructive criticism from my dancing, which is why I post vids on here and ask for comments on them. I think it is the best way.

I have taken advise onboard from alot of people, from newish dancers who have said one way of doing a move looked nicer than another way, through to David Franklin's advise on not locking fingers doing a swan and even your advice about slotted'ness and dancing with beginners.

If I was to give an honest, non-forum, rating of my dancing ability, I would prob put it around the average mark. I don't think im beginner, nor am I advanced. If posting on the forum, then I would rate my dancing as better than everyone elses

I don't think my dancing is lacking fundamental basics, it's just different from what most people do. I like alot of slides, spins and unusual moves, some people like perfecting the basics. Each to their own.

The spin vid posted is not really the best vid to comment on my dancing as, as you can see from it, we were only messing about with BlueEyes leading me in some of it.

A better one to watch is But even then it aint great but puts some of the spins in to a propper dance so at least it can be seen in context.

Re: You Tube Dance videos

Any forumites want to come forward and say when I have danced with them and done more than 2 spins? It does'nt happen and if it does it'[s rare.
    Ok serious question (it may have been asked / answered before, but I don't remember the answer)

Why the interest in being able to do more than 2 spins? Dont get me wrong, I know moves I'll never use in freestyle, but I learnt them because I like them for a variety of reasons despite their complete impracticality. It's just that the best advice I know for doing multi-spins is to really perfect doing one spin first. Then 2 spins. Because all the little errors compound the more you do and the worse the ones towards the end become. So if you just like doing 269 spins just for a laugh then fair enough; but if you're trying to do multi-spins well, try a "less is more" approach. Of course you may well be doing it for an entirely different reason........

Oh and I'm sure there's advice on the Forum about spinning technique somewhere

Commercial Operator

I don't think my dancing is lacking fundamental basics, it's just different from what most people do. I like alot of slides, spins and unusual moves, some people like perfecting the basics. Each to their own.
    This is where we differ. The clips you have posted online demonstrate a real lack of the fundemental basics - I've described one such above, Andy's talked about similar, and I'm sure other people have. It doesn't make your dancing 'different' or distinctive - these are understandable faults shared by a large number of other beginners, and they're nothing to be ashamed of - most of us have been through similar stages, and wrestled with similar problems. It is however, a key factor in what makes a beginner look beginnerish - and you need to sort them out if you want to rise beyond that.

But as you say - there's no need for you to do that if you don't want to, and if you're completely happy with your dancing, good for you.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Ok serious question (it may have been asked / answered before, but I don't remember the answer)

Why the interest in being able to do more than 2 spins? Dont get me wrong, I know moves I'll never use in freestyle, but I learnt them because I like them for a variety of reasons despite their complete impracticality. It's just that the best advice I know for doing multi-spins is to really perfect doing one spin first. Then 2 spins. Because all the little errors compound the more you do and the worse the ones towards the end become. So if you just like doing 269 spins just for a laugh then fair enough; but if you're trying to do multi-spins well, try a "less is more" approach. Of course you may well be doing it for an entirely different reason........

Oh and I'm sure there's advice on the Forum about spinning technique somewhere

It's just a nice little trick to have. As I said and you quoted, I very rarely do it with anyone other than BlueEyes. Sometimes though I get complaints if I don't do it .

It's just one of those things. Jamie and Central Alex are better at it than me.

If you can do more than 2 an put it in to the music, then why not? Watch the clip. Think at one point do 4-5 but the were with the intention of getting from one spot to another.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you can do more than 2 an put it in to the music, then why not?.
    Because you tend to lose your connection with your partner.

More spins = more time not connected = A Bad Thing.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Because you tend to lose your connection with your partner.

More spins = more time not connected = A Bad Thing.
    There is more to partner dancing than physical connection belive it or not.

What about Hip Hop partner dancing, where there is hardly any physical connection at all.

Broaden your mind with dancing. It's not all Blues this, Tango that.

It's just a nice little trick to have.
    Fair enough
    As I said and you quoted, I very rarely do it with anyone other than BlueEyes.
    Ah well that's an entirely different matter (sorry I missed the reference to Coni before)

If you can do more than 2 an put it in to the music, then why not? Watch the clip. Think at one point do 4-5 but the were with the intention of getting from one spot to another.
    About 1 min 10?

Actually I'm coming at this from a slightly different viewpoint. It's not that I have any objection to you doing 5, 6 spins etc. All I'm suggesting is how much better it would look if you sorted out all the associated technique. The 1 min 10 could look much cleaner But then I'm kinda assuming based on your comments that you're after constructive help. Like all things it's up to you. If you prefer it to just be something "fun" with Coni and don't want it to become a chore re-learning fair enough.

It's just one of those things. Jamie and Central Alex are better at it than me.
    As has been suggested, maybe get a private tuition with them, particulalry if you like their style. They could probably save you a LOT of trial and error grief.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    {snip}
    In all honesty, im not overly bothered about spins. I can do quite a few. in the right conditions, can easily get in to double figures, but yes it does get messy.

I have started working on techniques for it recently and developed a few things that help i.e Placing hands on chest. If you watch the me and BlueEyes spinning vid, you will notice she can do 5-6 with one hand behind back and one across stomach, something I suggested but couldn't do myself.

It's all practise. One day I might be able to beat that lass who done 31 spins, then again, I might just get bored of it.

You would be supprised who many people come up to me during classes and ask for spinning tips and how I do it etc, so to the average dancer, It can't look that bad.

In all honesty, im not overly bothered about spins.
    Fair enough

I have started working on techniques for it recently and developed a few things that help i.e Placing hands on chest. If you watch the me and BlueEyes spinning vid, you will notice she can do 5-6 with one hand behind back and one across stomach, something I suggested but couldn't do myself.
    Yeah , I was toying with suggesting that you ask her for advice

It's all practise. One day I might be able to beat that lass who done 31 spins, then again, I might just get bored of it.
    Ah in that case, maybe go and ask some ballet people - there's a French and Sauders clip I saw years ago where they literally tell this ballet dancer to "practice her spins" and she does them continuously, perfectly, while French and Saunders do a minute's dialogue

You would be supprised who many people come up to me during classes and ask for spinning tips and how I do it etc, so to the average dancer, It can't look that bad.
    and to be fair - the people offering advice aren't looking at it from the eyes of an average dancer. Have fun.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is more to partner dancing than physical connection belive it or not.
    Well, thanks for letting me know that.

But I didn't say, "physical connection", I said "connection". It's a technical term us dancers use.

It's a very good exercise to lead without a physical connection (no touching). It's also useful to lead without a visual connection (partner's eyes closed). In both cases, there is a connection.

And, I've seen Amir lead with no physical or visual connection (i.e. no touching of partner and she had her eyes closed). But clearly there was a still a connection, even if only through the Force.

Hmmm.... why do I get a "deja vu, wasting my time with explanations" feeling here?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    Well, thanks for letting me know that.

But I didn't say, "physical connection", I said "connection". It's a technical term us dancers use.

It's a very good exercise to lead without a physical connection (no touching). It's also useful to lead without a visual connection (partner's eyes closed). In both cases, there is a connection.

And, I've seen Amir lead with no physical or visual connection (i.e. no touching of partner and she had her eyes closed). But clearly there was a still a connection, even if only through the Force.

Hmmm.... why do I get a "deja vu, wasting my time with explanations" feeling here?

I know what you are saying but don't see why there can't be connection whilst one partner or another is doing multiple spins.

Do you feel different if it is the follow doing it?

Thread Information