Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Class/Workshop Contents

The Oracle

Perth Workshops

Originally posted by Gadget
    but more of how to read your partner and convey your intents when you are in a break.
    The way I'm planning the lessons at the moment, this is more likely to be covered in the Musical Interpretation workshop.

The Forum Legend

Re: Perth Workshops

Originally posted by DavidB
    The way I'm planning the lessons at the moment, this is more likely to be covered in the Musical Interpretation workshop.
    You plan lessons

Novel idea. Must try that sometime

Steve

Entrance

Another workshop idea that I think would be good is one that focuses on making an entrance and 'starting' to dance:
    One of the first revolations to me as a beginner was that the dance did not have to start by walking onto the dance floor, catching the beat and doing a semi-circe:step-back. This is such a waste of an entrance - and we all know that first impressions are vital.
    There is the rare {very rare} occasion that I start with a complete beginner by the 'semi-circles', but most of the time I use the first 'lead onto the dancefloor' move to set the tone for the rest of the dance.
    Your dance does not simply start when you find a blank space on the floor, it starts when you offer your hand and the lady takes it; from here you lead her onto the dance floor and into the dance in one smooth movement. {well, that's the theory anyway }

Re: Re: Perth Workshops

Originally posted by TheTramp
    You plan lessons

Novel idea. Must try that sometime

Steve
    So what was that piece of paper with a list of moves you turned up with at Lindsays workshop - sorry that constitutes planning.

It also fringes on being organised!

The Forum Legend

Re: Re: Re: Perth Workshops

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    So what was that piece of paper with a list of moves you turned up with at Lindsays workshop - sorry that constitutes planning.

It also fringes on being organised!
    Nah. That was the shopping list for the week

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Perth Workshops

Steve
    Looked more like a 'pick up' list to me!

"Planned" shopping list was that??? And why not

Interesting point re: possible workshop by Gadget. this going onto the dancefloor and starting by other methods. Could those that have been dancing for just a few months do the workshop as well. Seems a good idea with perhaps (my wee suggestion) we could learn how to finish properly as well!!!

Surely the start and finish are fundamentals that we should at least know how to do properly. Then we can add to our long list of what we still have to do. But at least we could get ther start and finish right.

Re: Nah. That was the shopping list for the week

[QUOTE]Originally posted by michael
    [B]"Planned" shopping list was that??? And why not

Seems a good idea with perhaps (my wee suggestion) we could learn how to finish properly as well!!!

I have been teaching that one fo 5 years!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Nah. That was the shopping list for the week

Originally posted by michael
    Interesting point re: possible workshop by Gadget. this going onto the dancefloor and starting by other methods. Could those that have been dancing for just a few months do the workshop as well. Seems a good idea with perhaps (my wee suggestion) we could learn how to finish properly as well!!!
    I have looked with a lot of interest at the shopping list all the things that are considered advanced, and would make great workshops.
    All the points above, are being taught every month at regular Intermediate or Style workshops.
    A case in point is how to start / finish the dance. A great topic, but in itself, not sufficient for a full day workshop, however, at every Style workshop I have taught recently, we have spent a lot of time on that subject, with some great ideas / variations.

Other ideas like shadow dancing (which I usually refer to as 'air' dancing), Spinning, blindfolding and Dance shape - circular or linear, close or big, Latin or 'the bounce' are also taught from Beginners workshops onwards, all the way to Intermediate / Style workshops.

It probably is a failure to advertise the content of those workshops, but it seems everyone who looked at the above and thought they would like to do that, should look closer to home and book an Intermediate / Style workshop ASAP (and possibly apply to be a stand-in man / woman as a refresher Beginners' workshop... so much to learn that you thought you knew )

Franck.

Re: Re: Nah. That was the shopping list for the week

Originally posted by Franck
    A case in point is how to start / finish the dance. A great topic, but in itself, not sufficient for a full day workshop,
    Perhaps not a full day for each individually, but I'm sure that you could spend a morning on starting and at least the afternoon on finishing.
    From all the workshops I have been on {admittedly limited to a very small number} I found that the actual "moves" are really suplimental to the concept behind the workshop; they are just examples to give you good practice into how the concept can be applied to 'real' dancing. The concepts can be gone over in 5 min, it's the practice and fine-tuneing{sp?} of these to put them into practice that expands a workshop to fill the time slot.
    at every Style workshop I have taught recently, we have spent a lot of time on that subject, with some great ideas / variations.
    This is it exactly - "general" workshops get side-railed by concepts and ideas that, while excelent and worth delving into, detract from the main point of a specific workshop. "Advanced" workshops would (I hope) remain focused on the single concept and not divert onto other ideas - I would hope that it would be pointed out where this concept can be used in conjunction with that one, but not dwelt uppon.

Re: Re: Re: Nah. That was the shopping list for the week

Perhaps not a full day for each individually, but I'm sure that you could spend a morning on starting and at least the afternoon on finishing.
    I think you need to bear in mind that the format of a workshop is to teach a new thing, practise it, get feedback from the teacher, practise some more, etc. Perhaps you'd want to spend this amount of time on these aspects, but I think most people would get INCREDIBLY bored spending a day ONLY dancing the first or last 10/20 seconds of various tracks!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nah. That was the shopping list for the week

Originally posted by Graham
    ...but I think most people would get INCREDIBLY bored spending a day ONLY dancing the first or last 10/20 seconds of various tracks!
    I think that if you were dancing to the first 10-20sec of tracks all the time, then you would get really bored. You only get bored if what you are doing is repetative and you are not learning anything new as you go; I can think on at least six different styles to enter a floor with, then you have the variables of the amount of space on the dance floor, hand led on with, known or unknown partner, waiting for a partner's hand, navigating the dance floor to a space, starting with a bang or easing in, lead/follow not making an entrance... and this is before you add any elements of musicality.

You could also add elements of how to ask for a dance (both sexes) - I think that practice and being told that it's OK to ask may remove a few wallflowers from the walls

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nah. That was the shopping list for the week

I think that if you were dancing to the first 10-20sec of tracks all the time, then you would get really bored. You only get bored if what you are doing is repetative and you are not learning anything new as you go; I can think on at least six different styles to enter a floor with, then you have the variables of the amount of space on the dance floor, hand led on with, known or unknown partner, waiting for a partner's hand, navigating the dance floor to a space, starting with a bang or easing in, lead/follow not making an entrance... and this is before you add any elements of musicality.

You could also add elements of how to ask for a dance (both sexes) - I think that practice and being told that it's OK to ask may remove a few wallflowers from the walls
    I think I have to agree with Gadget on both points - asking how to dance and moving onto the dance floor could easily take a half day.

Dance is a conversation. Inspire, compliment, entertain, amuse your partner, invite them into your world for the next three minutes, set (or suggest) the tone of interpreting the music by your manner, body language. Draw from classics - look at how Fred Astaire romances a partner onto the dance floor (even one he hasn't the slightest interest in outside the dance), look at the rich traditions of tango often acted out in the dance.

This is just *one* take on it, and, as gadget says, even before you add more dance-related elements such as musicality. Others may prefer a more social, laid back approach. But there is so much that can be covered, both for giving beginners confidence (in some taxi consolidation classes we would even get beginners to rehearse asking for a dance) and for advanced dancers who may have touched on this sort of stuff in ballet or contemporary dance.

I'm really interested to learn more on this.

(Other stuff on Gadget's hit list - how about sending this off to top visiting guest teachers?)

I am in violent agreement about the amount of stuff there is to learn in this area. My point was questioning whether a workshop was necessarily the best format for learning it.

Commercial Operator
    Agree with Gadget/Chris/Graham- there's a huge amount of stuff in this area.

You should invite along the Relationship Academy to relate basic interpersonal skills/principles to dance. They did a presentation at the Scottish Swing Riot and it was extrememly interesting and successful.

The Forum Legend
    You mean a quick nod of the head from on the dancefloor to your next intended vict....partner isn't the way to go?

So that's where I've been going wrong.....

Steve

You mean a quick nod of the head from on the dancefloor to your next intended vict....partner isn't the way to go?

So that's where I've been going wrong.....

Steve
    You mean you have to nod your head, surely not!

All day workshop to walk on and off the dance floor - sorry not for me.

I would be surprised if the interest in this subject was reflected by dancers paying for the workshop.

Imagine the scenario: A record finishes (hopefully without the end being cut out or two tracks mixed in) - the traffic onto and off the dance floor is like the first day of the January sales, so stylish walk on's are somewhat restricted.
    You prowl the edge of the dance floor, find your victim (sorry partner) and lead her to the only empty space over 20' away - to impress you get her step turning across the dance floor you get to the spot with a smug look on your face.
    Your partner has stopped spinning (but the room hasn't) and behind you is a trail of devastation caused by you both crashing into every dancer in your path.
    You console your fellow dancers by advising them it is ok as you learnt the technique in a workshop!

However if it was for Showcase routines then....

Commercial Operator
    Originally posted by Graham
    violent agreement

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    Your partner has stopped spinning (but the room hasn't) and behind you is a trail of devastation caused by you both crashing into every dancer in your path.
    You console your fellow dancers by advising them it is ok as you learnt the technique in a workshop!

That's not meant to happen then ?? Oh dear.
    That's why I included "navigating the dance floor to a space" in the list of stuff.

I agree with Graham that perhaps the classic "workshop" is not the best method of conveying these ideas; I think that the teaching method and subject matter would have to change to a more informal "pub discussion with examples" sort of thing.
    And LLizard has a point about paying for a workshop that, while improving your general dancing, will not really add to any floor craft, repertoir or style.

The "Exiting" the dance concept I was thinking on was more on timing your move to finish with a flourish, dip, drop, pose... on the last dying chords of a track rather than saying your thank-you's and sharking for your next partner.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I think that if you were dancing to the first 10-20sec of tracks all the time, then you would get really bored. You only get bored if what you are doing is repetative and you are not learning anything new as you go;
    Yes, you would, and I'm sure that any decent teacher could devise an interesting workshop around it, though the example you give are more to do with Musical interpretation than starting the dance.
    I am pretty sure that what we learnt with Adam in Aberdeen, and what David and Lily are about to teach on musical interpretation on Saturday, will do more in 2 hours to help you start / finish the dance than a full day workshop learning every single variations.

As I said before, on a typical Style workshop, I would spend half an hour on the intro / finish. Not to teach every possibility, but to open people's eyes to the possibility of varying the intro. The rest will depend on the partner, the track you're dancing to and as Peter (Lounge Lizard) says, the condition of the dance floor

I also agree with Peter that few people would be willing to pay for a whole day workshop on that topic alone, but I could be wrong... Though I'm not sure that would be the best area to focus efforts on! Most people have a lot to learn on the dance itself, never mind walking on / off the floor

Franck.

Thread Information