Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Class/Workshop Contents

Question Advanced Class/Workshop Contents

Inspired from all the talk of what actually constitutes an advanced dancer and how to make sure that the level of dancer equates to the level of workshop/dance:

Assuming you could do everything that would make you an 'advanced' dancer, what would you like to see in a workshop?for example....
    <li>Kenetics - flowing moves together and using one move to enter another
    <li>Musicality - finding the counter-beats, breaks, melody, lyrics and really "listening" to tracks
    <li>Styling - body language and shapes that can be used to emphisise your dance
    <li>Lead Following Lead - reading where your lead will take your partner and making best use of it
    <li>Body Leads - hands on forearms, shoulders, hips to lead rather than just hand to hand
    <li>Floorcraft - recognising the space you have to work with and keeping within it
    <li>Telepathy - non contact dancing, leading without touching and how to lead through breaks

{These are things that I would like to be able to do better; most of them are already workshops, but the idea is to refine the concept of them to an 'advanced' level}

Blog Entries

Re: Advaced Class/Workshop Contents

Originally posted by Gadget
    <li>Musicality - finding the counter-beats, breaks, melody, lyrics and really "listening" to tracks
    <<
    musicality - Connellyesque visions of Trampie bashing out Maries Wedding on an old piano shouting "appreciate"
    NB - I KNOW this is not what it is all about.

TELEPATHY !!!!!!

Telepathy!!!!!!

I'm beginning to think that some members of this Forum are losing what tenuous hold they ever had on reality!!!

Sorry, must dash off to see if my Spirit Guide is free for the Glasgow dance tomorrow evening !!!

Heather.

Blog Entries

Re: TELEPATHY !!!!!!

Originally posted by Heather
    Telepathy!!!!!!

I'm beginning to think that some members of this Forum are losing what tenuous hold they ever had on reality!!!

Sorry, must dash off to see if my Spirit Guide is free for the Glasgow dance tomorrow evening !!!

Heather.
    reality sucks. 'speshly on a Friday afternoon!!

see you tomorrow!!!!! :

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: TELEPATHY !!!!!!

Originally posted by Chicklet
    reality sucks.
    Yeah, but you are better.

Re: TELEPATHY !!!!!!

{says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}
    Telepathy is defined as moving things with the mind. When you are trying to lead without physical contact, what else are you using? I cannot think on another more apt word to describe it, can you?

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Telepathy is defined as moving things with the mind.
    Nope
    That would be telekinesis!
    Telepathy, is the ability to read minds, and I can see that would be very useful...

I am pretty sure that it happens a lot in fact , thinking of recent dances

Franck.

{says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

Sorry Gadget but i fail to see the connection between Heathers tag and Telepathy.

Salmon do not use telepathy, they have a lateral line they use for senses etc.

picky picky picky.
    I'm sure that telekenesis and telepathy would both come in handy on the dance floor... Franck, who can you get to teach this one? {}

Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

Originally posted by michael
    Sorry Gadget but i fail to see the connection between Heathers tag and Telepathy.

Salmon do not use telepathy, they have a lateral line they use for senses etc.
    Thanks Michael, personally I can't see the connection either and I've mean trying to communicate telepathically with Gadget for the last hour!!!!Obviously, he needs practice!!!
    Never mind, I'll consult my crystal ball andmaybe figure it out by myself!!!

The salmon reference is actually from the KitKat advert - you know the one where the guy describes how the salmon heroically swims upstream, against all the odds, to the place of it's birth and then promptly snuffs it. I think the message is 'don't let life/work kill you, give yourself a break!!! (A kitkat)
    But then I'm sure I don't have to state the obvious to the few remaining 'sane' Forum members!

Heather.

Good Question

picky picky picky.
    I'm sure that telekenesis and telepathy would both come in handy on the dance floor... Franck, who can you get to teach this one? {}
    Perhaps Franck should combine one of his future workshops with a Psychic Fair!!!

Heather.

The Oracle

When you are trying to lead without physical contact, what else are you using?
    Your eyes? Your voice?

I've led several ladies in freestyle into beginner moves like a first move and a yoyo without holding hands. The lady picks up so many clues from the man's shaping and hand position that it is relatively easy to lead. (I started doing it when someone told me I was leading one move with my hand, but a different move with my body.)

There is also a technique called 'flashlighting' that builds on this. You imagine you each have a torch shining out from your solar plexus. The idea is to keep this torch illuminating your partner. Obviously this doesn't work for spins, but you can do a surprising amount with this idea. It also gives a look that you are dancing together.

A true telepathic lead is when you do nothing with your hands, or your body, you don't say anything, and you don't have a routine. It can work when you know your partner so well that you think of the same ideas. I've seen it done, but I can't even come close to it.

And can someone explain the salmon?

David

Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

I've mean trying to communicate telepathically with Gadget for the last hour!!!!Obviously, he needs practice!!!
    I was wondering why I kept having those strange thoughts and lust for chocolate...
    The salmon reference is actually from the KitKat advert
    I know; it just seems a surrealy obvious statement, like "remember; when the lights go out, it's harder to see." or "remember; pain hurts." or "remember; for a fish to swim, it needs water."...
    Perhaps Franck should combine one of his future workshops with a Psychic Fair!!!
    I never understood why they have posters up advertising those things - I mean, surley if they are psycic then people would just know
    Originally posted by DavidB
    I've led several ladies in freestyle into beginner moves like a first move and a yoyo without holding hands.
    I've often 'shadow' led when my partner throws themselves out of reach (and not just the novices ), but it would be nice to have a workshop dedicated to developing/improving this sort of thing.

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

I've often 'shadow' led when my partner throws themselves out of reach (and not just the novices ), but it would be nice to have a workshop dedicated to developing/improving this sort of thing.

well funnily enough Gadget .............

Saturday 16th August:

10.30am 'til 12.30pm: Lead and Follow Technique - David and Lily Barker

See you there?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Re: Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

I've often 'shadow' led when my partner throws themselves out of reach (and not just the novices ), but it would be nice to have a workshop dedicated to developing/improving this sort of thing. [/B][/QUOTE]

I have danced a whole routine without touching my partner (no drops tho) plus taught it at weekend events and as an ice breaker at dances, we even considered taking it to Blackpool.

The lady I was dancing with reckoned she could do the dance without any contact, so we tried it and it worked.

turned out to be great for attracting the crowd.

the class was split 50/50 with those that enjoyed it and the doubters (nothing new there!).

It makes you really focus on your partner and although sometime verbal leads were given, majority of the moves were 'shadow led'

Re: Re: Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

[

It makes you really focus on your partner and although sometime verbal leads were given, majority of the moves were 'shadow led' [/B]
    I really enjoy shadow dancing and also dancing with my eyes closed. I find it very relaxing and I agree with you Mr Lizard it really helps focus on your partner and in my case concentrate on following.

fran

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

Originally posted by Fran
    I really enjoy shadow dancing and also dancing with my eyes closed. I find it very relaxing and I agree with you Mr Lizard it really helps focus on your partner and in my case concentrate on following.

fran
    could this be a basis for a future workshop?
    p

The Oracle

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
    could this be a basis for a future workshop?
    Please keep these ideas coming - we have 2 hours to fill in Perth!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line..

Originally posted by DavidB
    Please keep these ideas coming - we have 2 hours to fill in Perth!!!
    I hear there are some good assessments down there to while away the hours.

dance ideas -
    shadow dancing
    Lead blindfolded (well we reckon we can do it with our eyes closed)
    Snowball class - one teacher does a move, then another etc.
    great at events with lots of teachers.
    Dancefloor craft - boy do some dancers need this.
    Different styles for different music (same moves tho)

development of advanced moves - from beginners onwards.
    Dance shape - circular or linear, close or big, Latin or 'the bounce'

Re: Re: Re: Re: {says she with the "remember, you are not a salmon" tag line...}

Originally posted by Sheena
    10.30am 'til 12.30pm: Lead and Follow Technique - David and Lily Barker
    See you there?
    Try and keep me away!
    What I was actually referring to was not so much the "Lead and Follow Technique" {although I have no idea exactly what this will entail} but more of how to read your partner and convey your intents when you are in a break. I think that with a regular partner you could develop subtle visual leads that looked like part of the dance - what I'm trying to avoid is when a break is lead, the look of two people dancing at the same time {or the lady dancing and the man watching} and progress it to two people dancing together.

Thread Information