Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WCS or Tango?

WCS or Tango?

I think it's time that I branched out and tried out something other than just Ceroc if I want to develop my dancing. I don't feel that I need to go to Ceroc classes every single week now - I'm getting more out of going to freestyles.

I've often toyed with the idea of trying tango again (I did a little about three years ago), but I also read a lot on here about WCS, and since there's a course starting up at Clapham early next month, I'm wondering if I should give that a go. The nearest tango class to me is also on a Tuesday... so it's one or the other for now (and I don't want to get confused by trying to do both).

I know there are advocates of both styles on here, so I thought I'd canvas opinion as to what I might be likely to get out of each one in order to help me make my mind up. I'm looking to have fun, learn, develop my dancing, though I'm not sure in what direction.

What could each of these dance styles give me?

Re: WCS or Tango?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I think it's time that I branched out and tried out something other than just Ceroc if I want to develop my dancing.....

I've often toyed with the idea of trying tango again (I did a little about three years ago), but I also read a lot on here about WCS, and since there's a course starting up at Clapham early next month, I'm wondering if I should give that a go. The nearest tango class to me is also on a Tuesday... so it's one or the other for now (and I don't want to get confused by trying to do both).

WCS is a bit trendy now, but it could be a fad - might be good to take the opportunities in WCS - Tango isn't going away.

I'd guess that a few weeks of WCS would be more beneficial to a follower, and a few weeks of Tango would be more beneficial to a leader, in terms of improving dancing generally rather than as a goal to dance those styles.

for both of them you will develop your following technique , based on a set of different rules. They can both influence your MJ beautifully. You might get a bit more funky and playful if you do WCS, and a bit more subtle and dramatic if you do tango. Although WCS footwork and styling will tend to be easier to incorporate into your regular MJ (unless you dance regularly with jango people), IMO.

Go for the music you like best, you won't enjoy a dance if you don't like the music that goes with it.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, how snooty do you want to be?

OK, seriously, it depends on what you want to develop. AT will develop one way, WCS will develop another.

In AT, you'll learn a lot about technique, posture, connection, following the body not the hand, and continuous following.

In WCS (I think) you'll learn a lot about styling, musicality, patterns, dancing in a slot, and so on.

They're both fairly painful learning curves, I believe.

One other thought - have you considered salsa?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    In AT, you'll learn a lot about technique, posture, connection,
    you'll learn that in WCS too

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    you'll learn that in WCS too
    Yep, and in AT you'll learn styling, musicality, etc.

The point was to emphasis what both forms focus on. Blimey...

Yep, and in AT you'll learn styling, musicality, etc.

The point was to emphasis what both forms focus on. Blimey...
    ooooh getting picky, aren't we

Still, I feel it would be very wrong to say that WCS doesn't focus on connection and technique. I'd go as far as to say that it's the most important aspect of it, way before musicality and styling.
    It's hard to say what you will develop more with each dance, as I said you will develop your following and dancing technique, but based on a different set of rules.

Or may be I just want to pick up a fight with DJ

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Well since I'm just back from my first WCS class (one-two-trip-le-step, one-two-trip-le-step) I think it's a good variation from learning Ceroc. Totally different but still more related than tango would be, I think - tango always seems more ballroom-y & formal.

.........Go for the music you like best, you won't enjoy a dance if you don't like the music that goes with it.
    absolutely

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Go for the music you like best

I gave up doing salsa after 2 and a half years because the music was just painful after an hour or so.
    It was either that or take Spanish lessons

I've only done and watched a very little WCS so I'm not really qualified to comment - but since when did that stop me?! I have been dancing AT for 5 years so I'm a little more knowledgeable about that.

I think dancing WCS would do more to extend and invigorate your MJ, certainly in the short term. I've noticed that our local MJ scene has benefited enormously since regular WCS classes became available; we leaders are even more spoilt by having more really good followers to dance with. I know I'm going to have to "up my game" if I'm to do them justice! I'm told that it's having a similar, though less dramatic, effect on those leaders doing the classes.

At least superficially, the difference between MJ and AT seems greater than the difference between MJ and WCS so I imagine it would be harder to make a direct connection between AT and MJ skill sets. I was delighted by the connection, smooth grounded movement and opportunities for subtlety and expression in WCS during those few lessons I have done and would love to have the time and brainpower to learn it in addition to AT. Those followers who have surprised me with the change in their dancing have certainly taken those elements on board and added a new confidence, a willingness to "play", to their MJ that wasn't there before (in some instances, despite dancing MJ for several years).

As you'll know from your previous exposure to AT, the dance will certainly develop those same skills although I fear the "learning curve" will offer fewer early rewards. As David points out, it will also develop your ability to follow continuously - every element of every step or pivot is led and followed - in a way that I suspect WCS will not. I'd guess that, being slower tempo, both dances demand better balance than MJ although I suspect that AT places more of a premium on that skill; being able to maintain your own axis is essential.

I agree about the music - I stopped learning Salsa for the same reason as Paul F. AT music can be pretty obscure until you get used to it. I've grown to love it but there is, heresy of heresies, a lot of "Tesco Tango", which is downright awful, played at milongas. (That's no different to any other dance form, I guess; we all want to shoot the DJ sometimes).

I'm passionate about AT so part of me wants to scream "Dance AT" regardless of any other argument! AT is, to my mind, the most wonderful, passionate, sensual, intense, deliciously difficult and rewarding way to express emotions through movement to music with a partner. But then I haven't done many other dances.

Realistically I think WCS would make a greater impact on, and is a better "partner" for, MJ if that's what you're looking for.

I think it's time that I branched out and tried out something other than just Ceroc if I want to develop my dancing. I don't feel that I need to go to Ceroc classes every single week now - I'm getting more out of going to freestyles.

I know there are advocates of both styles on here, so I thought I'd canvas opinion as to what I might be likely to get out of each one in order to help me make my mind up. I'm looking to have fun, learn, develop my dancing, though I'm not sure in what direction.

Hiya Twirly,

Like JonD said, I reckon WCS would be a good idea. The Clapham class sounds interesting. Its a Ceroc thing isn't it? Hopefully the Ceroc happy culture, etiquette, Taxi dancers etc will all be place to give the class the right kick off.

martin x

Quote Originally Posted by JonD View Post
    AT is, to my mind, the most wonderful, passionate, sensual, intense, deliciously difficult and rewarding way to express emotions through movement to music with a partner.

Can you make it to Fulham tonight?
    Last edited by Tiggerbabe; 7th-June-2007 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Advertising.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    Well since I'm just back from my first WCS class (one-two-trip-le-step, one-two-trip-le-step) I think it's a good variation from learning Ceroc. Totally different but still more related than tango would be, I think - tango always seems more ballroom-y & formal.
    I wouldn't call AT "ballroom-y" or "formal" - but it's much more technique-oriented than most people are used to. CeeCee's first class in AT spent an hour simply forcussing on technique for walking forwards and backwards, for example.

I think it's probably true that there's more overlap between MJ and WCS, in terms of dancers, culture, and so on, and possibly also in terms of the dance itself. So the transition to WCS is possibly easier than to Tango.

I also think (from what people have said) that AT is a harder dance to master than WCS anyway, so that probably also makes the transition more difficult to AT. Also, there are some fairly poor AT teachers around, whereas I think most WCS teachers seem to be well-regarded.

Having said that, WCS in the UK seems to be "clumped" in a few specific areas, whereas AT is more evenly-spread out.

So yes - it really depends what you want to achieve.

But AT's better, and to Caro...

AT's great if you want to shuffle around the dance-floor looking serious (and at your feet.)

WCS is great if you want to play, have fun and look cool. (But be prepared to spend a lot of time not smiling, counting and feeling stupid until you get good.)
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    AT's great if you want to shuffle around the dance-floor looking serious (and at your feet.)
    That's my aim in life, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    WCS is great if you want to play, have fun and look cool. (But be prepared to spend a lot of time not smiling, counting and feeling stupid until you get good.)
    It sounds very much like salsa in that regard.

Interestingly, I don't think most MJ-ers who've learnt AT are trying very hard to convert others - whereas I see a lot of MJ-ers who've learnt WCS, trying to persuade other MJ-ers to learn. And I don't think there'd be a WCS scene in the UK without MJ, but I'm sure there'd still be a thriving AT scene without MJ.

Maybe AT is more of a personal journey? Or maybe WCS and MJ are closer than AT and MJ?

Thank you for the input both here and by PM folks. Very useful - still weighing things up.

One other thought - have you considered salsa?
    I've done a bit of salsa in the past, but never really got into it. Any particular reason you suggest it?

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Can you make it to Fulham tonight?
    Sadly no, nor next week and the week after I understand Paul is away so there won't be a WCS class.

Sadly no, nor next week and the week after I understand Paul is away so there won't be a WCS class.
    I am going over to the US that week unfortuantely - or fortunately, depending on how you look at it.

As for which dance to do.....tricky one.

I can only talk from a ballroom tango standpoint here. If that was the direct comparison (Ballroom Tango vs. WCS) I would suggest WCS purely for the social side of it.

AT, from what I understand as I dont do it, is much more sociable. In that case I would plump for whichever music genre you prefer.

Then again, I've heard AT is really easy to learn and that even a baby could do it.

Doesnt seem much point

Thread Information