Thread: Jive friendly non jive venues

Jive friendly non jive venues

I love jive venues. Everyone is friendly etc etc. But sometimes you might want to have a little more chat and a little less dance without someone whisking you away or the person you are talking to. Something different for a birthday or celebration perhaps.

I want to know if anyone knows any venue that would be good to take some dancer friends where there is space and suitable music for some MJ.

I am looking for something in or near London or maybe Brighton. Other places might be of interest though.

Cheers

Steve

Re: Jive friendly non jive venues

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    I love jive venues. I am looking for something in or near London
    The Pigalle in W1, London is a great venue...choose a night when the Jive Aces are playing and book a table for dinner.

The food is very good and its a nice venue...NCP car park, just over the road.

That's exactly where I would go if I wanted something more special than an average night out, say, for a birthday or something, but you can still dance if you want to. See link below

VPMG

I've also been told that the 100 club is a must...but I haven't had the opportunity to go yet.
    Last edited by Double Trouble; 6th-June-2007 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    The Pigalle in W1, London is a great venue...choose a night when the Jive Aces are playing and book a table for dinner.

That's exactly where I would go if I wanted something more special than an average night out, say, for a birthday or something, but you can still dance if you want to. See link below

VPMG

I've also been told that the 100 club is a must...but I haven't had the opportunity to go yet.
    Thanks, it looks great.

Commercial Operator

I love jive venues. Everyone is friendly etc etc. But sometimes you might want to have a little more chat and a little less dance without someone whisking you away or the person you are talking to. Something different for a birthday or celebration perhaps.

I want to know if anyone knows any venue that would be good to take some dancer friends where there is space and suitable music for some MJ.

I am looking for something in or near London or maybe Brighton. Other places might be of interest though.

Cheers

Steve
    In the Brighton area there is the bowling alley at the Marina. It has a real dance floor, not very big, but it is right next to the bar. Not only is there a bar and a cafe, there's, not surprisingly, a bowling alley! Quite a nice night out can be had with non-dancing friends. I've done it a couple of times although not since May last year. Things might have changed so it's probably worth giving them a call before setting it up.

I have been to the 100 club on a number of occasions on a Monday Night(although not for a while) and seen some good bands.Most of the dancers were only interested in doing Lindy so will happily leave you alone.

Quote Originally Posted by mick s View Post
    I have been to the 100 club on a number of occasions on a Monday Night(although not for a while) and seen some good bands.Most of the dancers were only interested in doing Lindy so will happily leave you alone.
    When I rarely get to the 100 club I invite the tourist ladies to dance, and have had some superb evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    When I rarely get to the 100 club I invite the tourist ladies to dance, and have had some superb evenings.
    Quote Originally Posted by mick s View Post
    Thanks for the tip
    Do you know what it's like on a Friday or Saturday night?

Thanks for the tip
    Do you know what it's like on a Friday or Saturday night?
    The sound system is great.
    The 100 club is not that big though - gets rather crowded. Also it needs a refurb.

I have only been on Monday nights. Sorry, I should have said. It also does no qualify as a non-jive venue as there are Lindy classes before the music. I arrived after those and just lapped up the band and the tourists who just came for the music too.

London Swing Dance Society: swing, lindy hop, jive events and classes in London, UK

For a friendly and really great venue with a decent chill-out area where you can chat & have a drink (including hot drinks) and a nosh (including home made cakes) it has to be DORKING HALLS

There is a swimming pool next door, if you fancy a dip

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post
    For a friendly and really great venue with a decent chill-out area where you can chat & have a drink (including hot drinks) and a nosh (including home made cakes) it has to be DORKING HALLS

There is a swimming pool next door, if you fancy a dip
    Thanks. I actually did a lot of learning there when I was working in Surrey.

The thing is at the end of each dance you lose your partner, if you know what I mean and any group disintegrates.

I'm looking for non-jive venue where friends roughtly stay together as a group and it's friendly to non jivers and people.
    Thanks though.

.......I'm looking for non-jive venue ........
    whooops.......... didn't read the thread title properly - sorry

Actually for the south coast, I agree with Andy Mc the David Lloyd at the Marina is perfect - there is a small dance area and a very large seating bit - not sure what events go on there.

And there is the Funky Fish - I have been told this a friendly place, Ceroc use it on a Sunday evening - but there is dancing going on there most nights
    (non-jive ones)

--ooOoo--

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.

whooops.......... didn't read the thread title properly - sorry

Actually for the south coast, I agree with Andy Mc the David Lloyd at the Marina is perfect - there is a small dance area and a very large seating bit - not sure what events go on there.

And there is the Funky Fish - I have been told this a friendly place, Ceroc use it on a Sunday evening - but there is dancing going on there most nights
    (non-jive ones)
    Thanks. Looks like I may arrange a trip to Brighton

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

VPMG

I finally managed to arrange a venture to the Pigalle Club. We saw the Swingin Little Big band and really enjoyed a different night. The band is a must for anyone who likes Michael Buble. Original interations of different tracks. It's not a cheap night though if you are eating in.

The 100 club next me thinks.

Thanks for the tip.

Steve

....and it's friendly to non jivers and people.

It sounds like modern jivers are coming over all superior - I know that's not what you meant but it made me smile.

If you're ever down Wiltshire way Steve....the Lava Lounge in Swindon on a Fri, Sat,or Sun night is excellent for a decent dance and appreciative audience. Music isn't too bad (70-90's fast paced dance tracks) and the dance floor is OK

We (that is, Peter from my local Ceroc class and myself) got a round of applause after dancing there last night - most unexpected and a great end to the weekend!

I finally managed to arrange a venture to the Pigalle Club. We saw the Swingin Little Big band and really enjoyed a different night. The band is a must for anyone who likes Michael Buble. Original interations of different tracks. It's not a cheap night though if you are eating in.

The 100 club next me thinks.

Thanks for the tip.

Steve
    The Pigalle is a nice club, but gotta say that I found the food average and waaaay overpriced. Best to pop in just for a drink and a dance when there is a good band on, although the dance floor is on the small side. The lady that sang at our wedding blessing Hazel Holder plays there on occasion in a band called The Ronnie Scots Rejects, and they are brill.

The 100 club is a legendary place but it is a bit of a shithole I'm afraid. I went there recently and the air con wasn't working, it smelt, the floor was sticky and there was literally sweat running down the walls - in fact, perfect for lindy hoppers....

You could also try The Dover Street Wine Bar. Again the food is expensive, but I personally think it's better priced than the Pigalle based on the quality. You can again just go for a drink and see a band and we went to see Earl Thomas a few months ago (of 'The Way She Shakes That Thang', fame) and had a fab night. They normally have live bands from Thurs through to Sat and in between play a mix of older style dance tracks mixed with some Motown and soul. However, the dance floor is small so if you want to strut your stuff it's better to do it earlier. As the night goes on the place gets stuffed full of inebriates and old trollops, professional ladies, balding solicitors and has been lotharios on the pull. So yes, I fitted right in...

First star to the right and straight on till morning...

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post

The 100 club is a legendary place but it is a bit of a shithole I'm afraid. I went there recently and the air con wasn't working, it smelt, the floor was sticky and there was literally sweat running down the walls

believe it or not we played the 100 club a couple of weeks ago and they had actually renovated. Yes, to those who have frequented the place you know how extraordinary this is. Its even been painted and new photos on the walls, probably first time since Louis Armstrong jammed there. Some may even say it could ruin the atmosphere

Quote Originally Posted by jiveknight View Post
    believe it or not we played the 100 club a couple of weeks ago and they had actually renovated. Yes, to those who have frequented the place you know how extraordinary this is. Its even been painted and new photos on the walls, probably first time since Louis Armstrong jammed there. Some may even say it could ruin the atmosphere
    I used to go to the 100 club as a young teenager, it was REALLY grotty then, with the band playing down the end (where the Ladies toilets are).

They did a 'remake' of about 3/4 years ago I think (might have been longer)went they put air conditioning in, sorted the ladies out too, they were changed to new units and the layout changed too - but haven't been back for over a year or so - very interested what they have done to it now,

--ooOoo--

..........They did a 'remake' of about 3/4 years ago I think (might have been longer)went they put air conditioning in, sorted the ladies out too, they were changed to new units and the layout changed too - but haven't been back for over a year or so - very interested what they have done to it now,
    I need more sleep !!! (late night last night as Utopia) .......... (or is it old age)

"sorted the ladies out too, they were changed to new units and the layout changed too"

what I meant was :-

The ladies had a refit, and they put in air conditioning units in the main area

However the walls seemed to be the same, so I would love to see the "new decor & photos" - as jiveknight says, I do hope it doesn't affect the great atmospher there

Sorry
    Last edited by Minnie M; 12th-July-2008 at 05:08 PM.

--ooOoo--

Thread Information