Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do people learn about dance-floor etiquette?

Re: Where do people learn about floor management?

The issue of floor craft is universal and not taught enough. I always make sure I am aware of my surroundings and who I am near. There are some people who just have no clue and don't realise that other people are trying to dance around them. In those instances, try and dance yourselves away from them.

In our classes we always make mention of being aware of what you are doing and who is near you. Especially with beginners. Then it becomes part of their natural improvement. rather than dancing for a year and then going, oh crap, I now have to work out where I am going. or worse case scenario, I'm 'too good' to watch where I'm going. (IMO it's a sure sign that they are no where near good enough).

Re: Dance floor - etiquette

I hate it when on a fairly quiet dance floor, you're dancing and someone brings their partner onto the floor and starts dancing really close to where you are already dancing
    I understand the reason... if you dance next to me, no matter how little you can dance you're gonna look good... but it is still annoying to have your space taken when there is plenty elsewhere. Still a quick stroll and it's usually sorted. But still! Grrrr.. I may pen a letter to the Daily Mail

Quote Originally Posted by KatieR View Post

The issue of floor craft is universal and not taught enough. .........
    Indeed; and I've learned more on this issue on the forum, and when freestyling, than during lessons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    I understand the reason... if you dance next to me, no matter how little you can dance you're gonna look good...
    Sorry mate, but I have to do something to make me look good .
    I'll stop knocking you over and tripping you up though, that's probably taking it a little too far .

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    There was one person at SP who was a forumite (who will remain nameless) who seemed to have no floor craft at all. Every dance I saw him have, he seemed to penguin his partner in to someone.
    Wow, one of the few times when I have been glad I can't do that particular move
    I can guess who you might be referring to. I don't think penguins should cause any more floorcraft issues than any other moves providing
    * the 'spare' arms are not outstretched to the side
    * excessive speed of rotation is not favoured by the leader over control of movement

I hate it when on a fairly quiet dance floor, you're dancing and someone brings their partner onto the floor and starts dancing really close to where you are already dancing
    Agreed another pet hate of mine.

Have you noticed it's the same in car parks. park in an empty part of a car park. The one car parked there when you return will be in the space next to your drivers door.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    There was one person at SP who was a forumite (who will remain nameless) who seemed to have no floor craft at all. Every dance I saw him have, he seemed to penguin his partner in to someone.

Aaaagh..! The infamous Mr Mcgoo (not his forum name). Don't be too hard on him, he's too vain to wear glasses and he is vertually blind without them.

Unfortunately, it does mean he bumps in to things a lot..on and off the dance floor.

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Do you think the teachers should say it to all the dancers - no matter beginners or advanced, or even better - from the stage - please apologise if you bumped into someone, or spun your follower into somebody's dance space?

I'm sure when I first started dancing in Chester with Blitz they handed out information leaflets to beginners on etiquette and beginners move. I don't think I have seen that in London or anywhere else.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    Agreed another pet hate of mine.

Have you noticed it's the same in car parks. park in an empty part of a car park. The one car parked there when you return will be in the space next to your drivers door.
    [off-topic]
    Well - it could be worse. I remember an occasion (family holiday, when I was a kid) when we were parked in a huge, and completely empty car park. An elderly couple drove into the car park, drove about twenty yards past us, then reversed straight into our car, doing ... a considerable amount of damage. My dad was sitting in the drivers seat at the time, keys in his hand, watching in utter disbelief, and unable to do a thing to stop it.

Just to spice things up, when he got out of the car, before had a chance to speak his mind, the wife of the offending driver said, in defence of her husband: "Don't be angry with him! Can't you see he's upset? He only ever has accidents on roundabouts and at the end of journeys!"
    [/off-topic]

I've merged the two floor-craft threads together.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

I've been bumped and in turn have bumped into people in the past. I do my best to stay out of people's way when dancing but short of installing rear view mirrors, eyes in the back of the head and developing my Jedi force sense and "Stretching out with my feelings" there's only so much I can do.

I always watch where my partner is and where I'm leading her, if I'm going to step back I do a quick glance out of the corner of my eye to see if I can catch anyone right behind me. But I don't know what else to do.. it doesn't help connection if your continually turning away from your partner to look behind you.

As for when I'm not dancing sometimes the dance floor goes right up to the seating area. People will have seats encroaching onto the dance floor. I always wait to the end of a song to make a dance to the toilet/bar etc. but sometimes you do have to run the gauntlet of dancers. As said above I listen to the music and observe the dancers and try to move in sync with the dancers. Although sometimes I feel that the DJ should be playing the theme to "Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the lost ark" sometimes. .. "Arm! Duck!!! leg!! Jump!!" and all the time there's a fast spinning dancer rapidly approaching you from behind.. and you have to get out before the gap ahead of you closes.
    Last edited by Beowulf; 7th-June-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: rapidly .. not rabidly !! :rofl:

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I've been bumped and in turn have bumped into people in the past. I do my best to stay out of people's way when dancing but short of installing rear view mirrors, eyes in the back of the head and developing my Jedi force sense and "Stretching out with my feelings" there's only so much I can do.
    You may laugh, but I've seen Amir lead a follower who had her eyes closed, and who had no physical contact with him. Magic, that's the only explanation.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    You may laugh, but I've seen Amir lead a follower who had her eyes closed, and who had no physical contact with him. Magic, that's the only explanation.
    Either that, or a very compact remote-control electric-shock device

Pah ! I can do that...

Shouts "TURN LEFT! LEFT!!! ARM JIVE!! WITH A SWIZZLE!!"

Seriously though, would love to see Amir doing that.. the Force is obviously strong in that one!

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

I'm not laughing, I'm genuinely interested, can you elaborate?
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Shouts "TURN LEFT! LEFT!!! ARM JIVE!! WITH A SWIZZLE!!"
    p-m-s-l....!

Reminds me of some numpty at Southport giving me verbal instructions of what move he was going to do next.

.....aaaand triple step..! and in the blues room too......!

Re: Where do people learn about dance-floor etiquette?

In relation to your question about where people learn dance floor etiquette, I'd double check with SilverFox but I do believe the correct answer is Fulham.

I believe they use the Vinnie O'slap technique.

I learned a lot from what was my regular venue... very busy and packed with people. Most of what I learned was "combat dancing" {how to create space to move you/your partner into} and "defensive dancing" {how to keep the space you've claimed} (Actually I had already developed some of these skills from muggle dancing and mosh-pits )
    I moved venues from that one mainly because of the cramped conditions and I didn't like how I was having to dance.

Then I learned dancing small and contained, avoidance and moving with the flow of people on the dance floor.

Then I learned moving through the dance floor; seeing a gap and moving through it, taking my parter with me.

I'm still practicing the last one Great fun, with the unfortunate side-effect that it scares some dancers who I whizz by/round

Had a lovely dance last night with a chap. Found ourselves in a fairly cramped spot, so he lead me out with a bouncy step around half of the dance floor into an emptier space. Was fun, and solved the problem.
    As for when I'm not dancing sometimes the dance floor goes right up to the seating area. People will have seats encroaching onto the dance floor.
    Fair enough - but when it isn't, they've finished the dance, and still stand on the dance floor? arggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    People standing chatting right on the dance floor - isn't that just rude?!!! One wildly gesticulating woman almost took my eye out with dangling jewellery on her wrist when we were moving - dancing - past her. In her defence, she did try to apologise, but by then, I was so angry, I didn't want to know. She was taking the valuable floor space, chatting up a guy I wanted to dance with (I had to settle for second-best as a result - no offence! ) and also gave me a dirty look at first. It's only when she saw who she's hit, she was all apologetic!
    Most dancers feel safer dancing on the edge of the floor - I remember a poll a few months ago.

Personally I always feel safer in the middle of the floor, due to pedestrians.

The other thing is, that if you go clubbing, it's quite acceptable to walk all over the floor. So a newbie would be genuinely ignorant. Announcements are called for.
    Last edited by Astro; 8th-June-2007 at 01:28 PM.

Thread Information