Thread: (Parking near) Glasgow's Jumping Jak's

(Parking near) Glasgow's Jumping Jak's

We tried going to Jumping Jaks last night but failed as we couldn't find anywhere to park - we drove around for nearly 30 miutes and then gave up and came home. We have been before and found places to park but now its getting warmer there are more tourists and people about, so no parking.

So, where does everyone else park?

Bop

PS Public transport doens't work for us - the last bus from Glasgow is 6pm! Glasgow is our nearest venue and its already a 50 mile round trip.

PPS What's happening to the Glasgow Freestyles.....no freestyle in May or June and then the July one has swapped from the second to the third Saturday (and we've booked something else we can't change, so cant go). Will there be one in August? I'm really missing dancing

Omnipotent Moderator Tiggerbabe's Avatar

Re: Glasgow Jumping Jaks

Quote Originally Posted by Bop View Post
    Will there be one in August? I'm really missing dancing
    There is a Glasgow party on Saturday the 18th August in Rutherglen Town Hall
    "If you rebel against high heels, take care to do so in a very smart hat.'' George Bernard Shaw

Commercial Operator

FWIW, Marillion were playing 3 doors down, so parking was heavily affected, apparently.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

I am a pretty lazy parker (I like being close to the venue) but it doesn't always happen, a short walk is usually necessary. I'm surprised you couldn't find anything - how familiar are you with the area? It can be a confusing muddle of one-way streets that send you round in circles on the same space-free loop.

Blythswood Square usually comes up good, or Bath Street can have spaces on the single yellows which are ok after 6pm. Failing those, go out of the other side of Blythswood Sq (Blythswood St, one way downhill and back into the square up Douglas St) and use either those or the streets round about. If all else fails at that time of evening there are usually spaces on Bothwell St (about 5 minutes walk).

You could even use one of the paying car parks in the area - there's one behind the King's Theatre (possibly NCP?) and a Council one up on Cambridge Street which is open all hours and only charges £1 for an evening's parking. (altho I don't like paying for parking it's worth it to save wasting a 50mile round trip!).

Be careful about parking on the hill up the side of Yates next door to Jaks. It's often temptingly empty but the ticketing is wierd (not from a machine you've got to get them from local shops or something), restrictions there last until 10pm and yes there are traffic wardens out at that time of night

Hope that helps!

Thanks to you all.

Glad to here there will be a party in August - will keep that date free.

As for Marillion playing - perhaps we should have gone to see them instead, although I was disappointed last time I saw them (albeit about 5 years ago). At least that means it hopefully won't be that bad every week.

We don't know the area thatwell but did try Bath Street, Blythswood Square, Renfrew Street and lots more - we've spotted the dodgy parking next to Jumping Jaks before and even that was full last night! As for pay parking - one we saw closed too early (not sure which one) and another was going to be about £7 (and by that time I was also really annoyed) - will have to try and remember (and find) the Cambridge Street one.

Anyway, hope to see you again soon - perhaps Thursday?

Bop

I think this should help with your parking dilemma

Glasgow City Council's own list of car parks and the respective charges

Yell.co.uk can help out with maps if you need them

Cheers
    Whitetiger

Mmm forgot to say that the GUU doesn't seem to have been easy to get a hold of for freestyle parties over the summer - but there is a Saturday party there during the Utopia Blues weekend (Saturday the 21st July), which I think is pay on the door.
    Cheers
    Last edited by whitetiger1518; 7th-June-2007 at 02:57 PM.

Thanks Whitetiger

The list of car parks is really useful, although hopefully parking wil be easier next time; if not we'll head for Cambridge Street. I think we must have found Sauchiehall Street first and then tried Buchanan Galleries as we knew where that was.

Mmm forgot to say that the GUU doesn't seem to have been easy to get a hold of for freestyle parties over the summer - but there is a Saturday party there during the Utopia Blues weekend (Saturday the 21st July), which I think is pay on the door.
    Cheers
    Utopia - the website says its the 21st (when we're busy)? Would have loved to go to the party and some of the workshops.

Thanks again
    Bop

Thread Information