View Poll Results: Quite simply (no fence-sitting!)...

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • City

16 47.06%
  • or Country?

18 52.94%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: City or country?

City or country?

At heart, are you a city-boy/girl or country-lover? I'm sitting in my lounge at the moment, from which I can see (albeit a very tiny portion of) Canary Wharf, and it gives me a bit of a buzz.

I love the countryside and it can be particularly breathtaking, but, at least for now, I think I lean more towards a citylife for its lights, reflecting on the main river, surrounded by grand buildings and a striking human history.

Whatever your criteria, whether it be that you have more cityscape than landscape photos in your albums, that you take more holidays in the country than citybreaks, that you've grown up in one and never wanted to move to the other... which do you prefer and why?

Re: City or country?

Country country Country all the way for me.......nothing better than getting up in the morning a looking out the window to see my horses grazing in the fileld and nothing but beautiful landscape.....

Country-girl at heart I'm afraid. Love going to find the buzz of city life whenever I want to, but really love coming home to peace and quiet for well deserved recovery...

I live in the middle of nowhere (sat-nav nor vodafone nor any other mobile phone provider can find me!) but am yet within surprisingly easy reach of pretty much anywhere I want for the times I fancy something more lively.

Waking up and seeing mature trees and fields all around me, and even a little "lake" where they used to punt in Victorian times, makes my heart sing <sigh>

I love the convenience of living in a city, though I don't think it could just be any city. Glasgow though isn't just any city.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Tecnically i am a towny. But if i had to choose city or country, it would be country. I am not a city fan. If i want to go to the city i can do but i dont like the thought of having to live in one

I am London born and bred, I lived most of my life in North London... I LOATH the place and everything to do with cities and towns

For the past near on 20 years I have lived right on the edge of villages, only two of them. From my bedroom window I look out over open fields. If I can possibly help it there is no way that I will go back to living in even a small town, I love the quiet and the space, I am now a confirmed country boy

I live in the country...it's pretty for sure but I really do love the city at this point in time. I live right by Liverpool...not keen on it there but I love London, Paris, New York...there's just a kind of atmosphere. But my heart will always belong in the countryside.

Don't think that made a whole lot of sense. I think what I was trying to say is that I really couldn't choose.

xXx

In this day and age I see no valid reason to live anywhere where you cannot buy a pint of milk 24 hours a day. I was born and brought up in the countryside, until I managed to escape and I have never looked (or wanted to go) back

The countryside is a necessary evil to be driven through when moving from one town to another. Quite frankly, the sooner they fill it up with houses and Tesco superstores the better it will be for all of us

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, I'm going to be awkward and say SUBURBS!

Quote Originally Posted by Keefy View Post
    I am London born and bred, I lived most of my life in North London... I LOATH the place and everything to do with cities and towns
    I live in North London but right on the outskirts and I love it!

Its a short walk (less than 5mins) to get to the tube station, walking through a beautiful brook. And I can be in West End in 25mins.

I can also get on the M1, N circ, A41 and A1, all within 5mins

And, there's also fields with horses in up the top of my road.

I'd recommend it to anyone!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Well, I'm going to be awkward and say SUBURBS!

I live in North London but right on the outskirts and I love it!

Its a short walk (less than 5mins) to get to the tube station, walking through a beautiful brook. And I can be in West End in 25mins.

I can also get on the M1, N circ, A41 and A1, all within 5mins

And, there's also fields with horses in up the top of my road.

I'd recommend it to anyone!
    I can also recommend the suburbish location - I live next to the Thames (about 40 feet away!), and fairly close to Staines. This gives me a fantastic view from my lounge window, but I'm just 10 mins from the M25, and 30 mins from Heathrow.

I can walk to Staines in 30 mins, or take a small boat that I have access to in 15 mins (there's a mooring point very near to Sainsbury's, so shopping by river is a sinch)

The only bad point I can think of, is that public transport is appalling. No buses run after 6:30pm, and the last train back from London is around midnight

I can't choose.

I grew up in the country in NE Scotland and loved every minute of it! I lived in the middle of nowhere with nothing but a few farms and fields!

However at this point in time I like living in a City. Ok Aberdeen's a very small city I know but I'm hopefully moving soon for a new job (Gotta get one now that I'm no longer a student!) I know that I'll probably end up in a bigger city. And I'm happy about that. I look forward to it as most people have said there is a buzz about cities! I also like haveing everything on my doorstep!

I will probably end up back in the country tho. If I ever have children I don't think a city is a place to bring them up. It would definately have to be a village or right on the edge of somewhere so that the country side is right there!

So I can't choose I like them both for different reasons!

Mrs Pretzelmeister

I'm a city girl, definitely, for the convenience, the facilities (theatres, galleries, airport, supermarkets) and availability of company if I want it. (also ease of dancing!). I enjoy seeing countryside (from a nice dry car usually), and even occasionally get out for a stroll. I love living in Glasgow's south side because I've got a big green park just up the road and a good-sized chunk of tame countryside with highland coos, small stately home and jewel-like art gallery planted in it just 10 minutes drive away.

Considering I'm planning a move to London I guess me answering "Country" is a little odd. However, I'm a country lad at heart. Lived in Wigtown (Pop 900) moved to Dumfries (Pop 31000) then to Aberdeen (Pop 185,000)

And I thought Aberdeen was big!!!

As long as I can drive out to parks or countryside I'm happy

I do like the convenience of big shops etc but even in a city, when you don't drive things can be hard to get to.

Commercial Operator

Somewhere where I'm in very easy reach (ideally walking distance) of a city centre, but where I can walk out of my door, walk for five minutes, and feel like I'm in the middle of the countryside, with not a house to be seen....

I like to have my cake and eat it. Luckily, that's pretty close to describing where I currently live. Even if the city's a very small one.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Considering I'm planning a move to London I guess me answering "Country" is a little odd. However, I'm a country lad at heart.
    And I'm a City girl! I grew up (from age 12 anyway) in a small market town in Wiltshire - and hated it. Whilst the countryside is lovely round there, the town itself is dull, small-minded and oh so parochial! I moved to London as soon as I could as a student at 19.

However, I do love the countryside too. And now I have my car, I can get out into it in a way I couldn't do before (even if I feel guilty about polluting it).

Whilst I plan on luring Beo down to the big smoke initially, and will hold his hand and be his guide here I'm not convinced that I want to stay in London forever, and would be quite content to move to a smaller city eventually, even to the outskirts so long as I have a car. I did seriously consider moving to Bristol/Bath a few years ago, and still dream about it sometimes A place with life, culture, dancing and beautiful countryside - and yet not too far away from London for when I need it. Now, just have to convince Beo

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Now, just have to convince Beo
    < jedi >

You want to live in Aberdeen... You do not like big cities.. These are not the droids you are loo.. erm sorry!

< / jedi >

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    I love the convenience of living in a city, though I don't think it could just be any city. Glasgow though isn't just any city.

30 mins West - you have the Isles

An hour East you have Auld Reekie (Edinburgh) - i usually only migrate for the Festivals - though that might change if I have enough time to go to Marcos

An hour South you have the Borders

An hour North you have the Lochs and the start of the Highlands

Glasgow Can't - Sorry Will NEVER lose in my Heart

Though If I was allowed to fence sit - I would have to say that Loch Fyne tied for my heart
    IMHO it is the most beautiful place on earth (but maybe that is partly because my Grandparents lived up there. (Many happy sunshine drenched holidays up there when I was a nipper )

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    < jedi >

You want to live in Aberdeen... You do not like big cities.. These are not the droids you are loo.. erm sorry!

< / jedi >

Eh?

Anyway - have just booked us a holiday cottage in Cornwall, so we can both be in the countryside (and by the seaside) for a week. Get your bucket and spade and knotted hanky out Beo!

Well, even if i am living in a city at the present (Dundee), i am still country girl as i grew up in Ellon, a wee town surrounded by fields 18 miles out of Aberdeen, I love it and would move back if i had the chance to.
    However... Dundee do have everything at the doorstep for me, One hour to Aberdeen or Glasgow or Edinburgh by train, car, bus if on time. and easier to get supplies if run out at like 12am , as there are 24 hours tesco/asdas here.

So i still like country but city can have it advantages!

City for me as far as living goes, i do like my jaunts out into the countryside though..

Thread Information