View Poll Results: Quite simply (no fence-sitting!)...

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • City

16 47.06%
  • or Country?

18 52.94%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City or country?

Re: City or country?

There's only one place in the world I would like to live & that's a little village called Branscombe.

I'm going to retire there one day & listen to birds singing, knit, drink pimms, take the dog for coastal walks and do the crossword. Bliss.

Country for me

Grew up in it then lived in a city (Southampton) for 7 years before heading back to the rural life

As much as I enjoyed being able to walk to the shops/theatre/train station whilst living down south, nothing beats sitting at the bottom of my garden with a glass of wine looking over the fields at a beautiful sunset (and I get to grow my own veggies )

Though, I must admit it's easy for me to get to London from here (M25 in an hour) and MK for shops is only half hour away.

It's easier to find somewhere more busy/noisy to go then to find somewhere quiet

Quote Originally Posted by HelenB View Post
    It's easier to find somewhere more busy/noisy to go then to find somewhere quiet

I have commented to Twirly on this in the past, Aberdeen , For all it's smaller and much less of a sprawling metropolis, is less green and less quiet than where Twirly is in London!!

I looked out her window once to see a Fox in the garden !! I've never seen a fox in Aberdeen! Her nearest park is a mere 2 / 3 minutes away whereas mine is at least a 15 min walk !!

You rarely hear traffic or post Pub/club hubbub at Twirly's yet in Aberdeen I'm frequently awoken by drunken brawls etc at closing time.

So it's not just the size of a place that affects how quiet etc it is.

Where Twirly lives is like a little town, local shops, people that know you etc. Twirly knows her neighbours down the street.. I don't even know the people in my block of flats !!

Little Miss Jazz Shoes Jazz_Shoes (Ash)'s Avatar

I can't decide! I live in the suburbs! I love Glasgow (most of the time). I prefer the City, but also need a little time in the country, even if it's just for a day or so to chill and enjoy the scenery... funny that I am going to two cities on holiday this year huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post

I have commented to Twirly on this in the past, Aberdeen , For all it's smaller and much less of a sprawling metropolis, is less green and less quiet than where Twirly is in London!!

I looked out her window once to see a Fox in the garden !! I've never seen a fox in Aberdeen! Her nearest park is a mere 2 / 3 minutes away whereas mine is at least a 15 min walk !!

You rarely hear traffic or post Pub/club hubbub at Twirly's yet in Aberdeen I'm frequently awoken by drunken brawls etc at closing time.

So it's not just the size of a place that affects how quiet etc it is.

Where Twirly lives is like a little town, local shops, people that know you etc. Twirly knows her neighbours down the street.. I don't even know the people in my block of flats !!
    Ah yes, the delights of leafy East Dulwich! More of a village really. Have a chat with the local shopkeepers on a Saturday morning, can get almost any food from anywhere in the world in my local shopping street, there's a nature reserve just up the road...

I remember staying in a friend's cottage on a farm in Shropshire... although it was about a mile from the main road up a rough track, you could still here the traffic. It's quieter in my flat (at least when the police aren't chasing criminals in Peckham up the road!).

Oh, and the shopkeepers have started asking after Beo now too... do your local ones do that in Aberdeen Beo?

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Just the seaside for me - love the sound of the waves crashing on the pebbles and the fresh sea air, but failing that the country it is. I am not really a big city girl (it's coz London is such a big dangerous place don't you know..well so my Mum says!)

When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life: Samuel Johnson
    Gotta agree with Sam (but NZ is nice too).

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post

30 mins West - you have the Isles

An hour East you have Auld Reekie (Edinburgh) - i usually only migrate for the Festivals - though that might change if I have enough time to go to Marcos

An hour South you have the Borders

An hour North you have the Lochs and the start of the Highlands

Glasgow Can't - Sorry Will NEVER lose in my Heart

Though If I was allowed to fence sit - I would have to say that Loch Fyne tied for my heart
    IMHO it is the most beautiful place on earth (but maybe that is partly because my Grandparents lived up there. (Many happy sunshine drenched holidays up there when I was a nipper )

Whitetiger
    I'm a highlander through and through... I even spent 3 years in Australia and came home because I missed the Highlands so much. Grew up in a tiny village beside a small town... now living in the Highlands only "city" which is really just a big town.... but I'm a country girl at heart....

If I had to live in a city it would be "that dear green place" (Glasgow) ... a great city - so many Highlanders already live there... the Piping Centre is there.... the shops are great...great nightlife...

I just take wee trips down the road when I want a burst of city...

Blog Entries

Born and bred just outside London.
    Spent 10 years traveling with the Army.
    Spent the last 7 years in the wilderness of Norfolk.
    Juts moved back to the city and I love it.
    Give it a few years and I'll be pining for the country again.
    The grass is always greener...

BTW, I'm working in Canary Wharf at the moment so if anyone else is thereabouts and you fancy meeting up for a lunchtime drink and bitch about the forum , drop me a line.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    In this day and age I see no valid reason to live anywhere where you cannot buy a pint of milk 24 hours a day.
    I find myself saying this all the time - totally agree. Though even in London you can find yourself walking around for quite some time until you find somewhere that does!

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    The countryside is a necessary evil to be driven through when moving from one town to another. Quite frankly, the sooner they fill it up with houses and Tesco superstores the better it will be for all of us
    Ooooh. Controversial. Wouldn't personally go that far. I associate that policy with the delightful specimen that is John Prescott, spoiling what little there is left of the picturesque South-East. I still like my walks/drives through the rolling hills etc as a place of calm now and again. Hopefully his bout of pneumonia has knocked some sense into the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Gojive View Post
    The only bad point I can think of, is that public transport is appalling. No buses run after 6:30pm, and the last train back from London is around midnight
    Aargh! Isn't it just? I'm working my towards the centre of town for that very reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz_Shoes (Ash) View Post
    I can't decide! I live in the suburbs! I love Glasgow (most of the time). I prefer the City, but also need a little time in the country, even if it's just for a day or so to chill and enjoy the scenery
    That sums me up quite well too, even though the suburbs are for fence-sitters! For me, for the everyday, it's people, buildings, convenience and bustle over animals and plants, tranquility and picturesque scenery. The latter(s?) are for visiting on an occasional basis to detox and enjoy as a special treat... for me, and for now, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriouslyAddicted View Post
    Just the seaside for me - love the sound of the waves crashing on the pebbles and the fresh sea air, but failing that the country it is. I am not really a big city girl (it's coz London is such a big dangerous place don't you know..well so my Mum says!)
    The seaside...? God's waiting room?! At your age?! Again, like the country, the coast is what I associate with breaks away and holidays, to enjoy once in a while and value it each time rather than take it for granted having it on my doorstep. And anyway, nothing more dangerous than those reckless doughnut sellers or deckchairs!

Right in the heart of the city - 24 hour shops and bars, cafe's and lots of other stuff. Walk to everywhere.
    Why have a big house in the county when you can have a big house in the city...

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Well, I'm going to be awkward and say SUBURBS!

I live in North London but right on the outskirts and I love it!

Its a short walk (less than 5mins) to get to the tube station, walking through a beautiful brook. And I can be in West End in 25mins.

I can also get on the M1, N circ, A41 and A1, all within 5mins

And, there's also fields with horses in up the top of my road.

I'd recommend it to anyone!

I live very close to Lory and love the area too.

I only wish the sea was a little closer though! I love to watch the sun setting into the sea. The moon on the water and the clear starry skies at night.

I grew up for most of my childhood in the beautiful countryside around Co Monaghan in Ireland. I have lived in both cities and countryside and favour the peace of the countryside everytime. However I like to be able to indulge my hobbies and of course where I live now affords me the opportunity to get on the M6 and be where I want to be in a matter of no time really. Then I can return to the fields, the canals and the lancashire hills and plain [40mins from Blackpool]. So have the best of both worlds, and so nice to have a home in Ireland where I may go for a while, beside a lake and a forest which my grandfather worked on, without seeing another soul for a day or two, which in the busy world I live in over here is heaven.

I was brought up in suburbs - on the very edge of Belfast. Not that Belfast is exactly big! So I'm used to having green around me, but also access to everything.

I've never lived completely out in the countryside, but I have lived in the city and the advantage was being able to walk most places you needed to get to.

I love where I live now - just outside the Belfast boundary. I'm 10-20 mins drive from almost everywhere I want to go (nearby town, work, Belfast city centre, cinemas, restaurants and shops) and there are a range of lovely green places all under 10 mins drive - canal towpaths, park with rose gardens, forest park, meadow walks.

And although I live in a 'suburb', its one that has grown up around an existing village and the village heart is still there, with a range of local shops all within walking distance of my front door, plus good rail and bus links. (10 mins on the train takes me into Belfast city centre.) Plus a choice of large supermarkets nearby if I want to do a 'big shop'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I love where I live now - just outside the Belfast boundary. I'm 10-20 mins drive from almost everywhere I want to go (nearby town, work, Belfast city centre, cinemas, restaurants and shops) and there are a range of lovely green places all under 10 mins drive - canal towpaths, park with rose gardens, forest park, meadow walks.

Lynn I want to work in the beautiful surroundings where your office is based, it must be great going to work in the forest park with all that fabulous scenery around.

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    Well, I'm going to be awkward and say SUBURBS!

I live in North London but right on the outskirts and I love it!

Its a short walk (less than 5mins) to get to the tube station, walking through a beautiful brook. And I can be in West End in 25mins.

I can also get on the M1, N circ, A41 and A1, all within 5mins

And, there's also fields with horses in up the top of my road.

I'd recommend it to anyone!

Yes Suburbs! This is the best for me.

to the countryside or centre of London within 30 mins and a MJ, Salsa or Tango venue everyday of the week within 30/40 mins. Heathrow also within 30 mins and any part of the world (if you can stand the bl00dy 2 hours hanging around). London is one of the best cities in the world in terms of the opportunities available to you, IMO.

regarding the vote options, if there is no fencesitting (i like the pun!) then City!
    Last edited by Raul; 17th-June-2007 at 01:24 PM.

It's got to be the countryside for me. Fresh air, a more relaxed pace of life, less traffic noise and pollution, no traffic jams, lots of wildlife to eat... er, I mean, enjoy , generally friendlier people than in a city and less chance of getting mugged.

I hate cities in general. To me, they're a necessary evil that I put up with for the purposes of dancing, shopping and watching the occasional international rugby match.

I personally live just outside a small town, within walking distance of beautiful countryside but within driving distance of Cardiff for when I want my weekly dance fix. It's a good compromise between my wife and me. My wife is from London, a city girl at heart, though she's fallen in love with the Welsh countryside and "gone native" (she's even learning the language). I, on the other hand, am more of a country boy at heart, and I'd be happy living in splendid isolation halfway up a mountain somewhere.

ex.Brum, now in limbo somewhere in the Midlands

I spent the first 18 years in B'ham then moved to Stratford upon avon,then London, and Denmark,before I got married ,and moved to Leics when I got married as that is where he was from,three cities and a town. When I got divoced I moved to Sydney for a short while and Aukland which was my fav city as I love being near the sea and the beautiful countryside on your doorstep. I then moved to South east London near Hampton Court and once again I like being near to where it is happening but living near the river when you have those nice walks. At the moment I am back in Leics don't ask, but it is my least favorite city I just find it bland but I have many nice friends which helps, so when I want to stay in the country I go to my daughter's in Lancs and she lives on a hill over Pendle Hill, and my other daughter when I want the bright lights in central London, so I would say I am a city girl but has to be by the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Lynn I want to work in the beautiful surroundings where your office is based, it must be great going to work in the forest park with all that fabulous scenery around.
    The building itself isn't the greatest (its pretty cold today) but yes, the location is lovely and on a nice day a walk up the lane to a local shop is a pleasant lunchtime stroll.

It is a good start to the day driving down a tree lined road to a large spacious car park with views out over the forest to the hills beyond.

There is also a lovely walk from my work carpark that goes through forest, beside the river, across meadows and rolling grassy hills - occasionally meet up with friends after work to do that on a summer evening.

Thread Information