Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    Yes but who was it that was nominated to go and knock on the door, to get him up all I kept thinking was I hope this isn't john chalet
    Fletch!!.....would I feed you incorrect information about something that important.......

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Dance Demon View Post
    Fletch!!.....would I feed you incorrect information about something that important.......

The truth is DD that I well and truly heard your hint that it was time for me to get up on Sunday Morning when I heard (with a slightly 'turned up' volume) ''HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR EGGS IN THE MORNING'' So, no worries, I was getting ready to provide brekkies for you all, (on behalf of Jiveaddiction by the way) when Fletch came and knocked.

Well I said I'd post again when I was lucid. I've been running high on adrenalin and endorphins since Monday morning, but now the sleep deprivation has caught up with me and I've crashed. Lucidity isn't going to return until Utopia on Friday, so I'll share some stream of consciousness now.

I estimate that I:

had 500 dances over the weekend

danced with 200 plus women (and Jamie)

had no more than 8 hours sleep in total

Every single dance that I had over the weekend was in the range of lovely to absolutely jaw droppingly beautiful.

I genuinely enjoyed the queue on arrival on Friday afternoon. There was an amazing sense of excitement and, as I queued it was good to chat to friends from all over the country, all of whom were positively buzzing in anticipation of the weekend ahead.

After queuing for an hour, I was truly desperate to dance, so desperate that I was in the zone (which can often take an hour or two) immediately. Apart from the 8 hours sleeping and eating, and just 3 or 4 dances in the main room, I didn't leave the blues room all weekend.

The blues room is so very cool. In the early hours of each morning I always think to myself how wonderful it is to be in this little world that is THE most happening place in the UK at that time.

It's invidious to name names because, particularly when you are other planetary as I am at the moment. But just for once I'll break the rule. Many gorgeous dances with Zara (and hey she can lead well too) who I'd not met before. Beautiful dances with Twirlie Bird (and that's a great pic Stoke Bloke at post 88 of this thread). As ever wonderful dances with Fletch (where was the lollypop this time?!) and our rolling around on the floor dance was hilarious (for me at least). My fastest ever pivot turn with Lory at around 5am Saturday morning ( I loved the scream). Lovely dances with Caz to my own choice of music (see below). Fantastically smooth dances with the people I know from Daventry, including Ava. And many perfect dances with two of my favourite Fulham partners, Sandre and Debbie, and also HelenB, who I know from Utopia. Then there is Cat from Manchester, Lucy from Berkhamsted, Claire from Scotland, Cruella, Toni from Fulham, Sharon from Aylesbury............. (I really wish I hadn't started this!). I mustn't forget Jamie from the roll call - I've got a huge black bruise on my left chest from where we collided when my spin dryer move went wrong! Then there's the amazing expressive Fran from the West Country, and Sapphire ditto and........

The Saturday morning breakfast club was fun. Thanks to Lounge Lizard for some great music and amazing stamina in doing a set from 4 am until 9am. Thanks to Freudian Hips for helping to keep us awake and to Raphael (?) for his excellent stealing games etc between 8am and 9am.

The Sunday morning breakfast club was brilliant. A lovely crowd of people, and so beautiful to dance as the sun rises. It's amazing how you can dance all hours but then you try to speak over breakfast and gibberish is all you can manage.

The Monday morning breakfast club gave me the unexpected privilege of playing the last set in the blues room. We debated whether to carry on dancing or go play in the park, and the dancing won. I brought my stereo over and we danced for maybe an hour before we were thrown out (politely) by the cleaners.

Music - a truly wonderful set from ZW ( wish we'd had more dances and I love the Sexy Eyes track). And I enjoyed CJ's set. And I really enjoyed my own set!

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Did anyone see the couple dancing to "Pump it" on sunday night in the main room at all?
    That's a very vague question! I saw several couples dancing to it, mostly as I was dancing to it too. Fab track

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by johnah View Post
    Come on Robd, you've made a very strong allegation. I posted [sent you a PM too] hours ago requesting an explanation from you in respect of your claim, and I'm still waiting. So please, let's be having your evidence to support it.

Robd, you posted over 12 hours ago. I first asked for an explanation 8 hours ago and again 4 hours ago.

As a matter of courtesy, if nothing else, an explanation would be welcome, as I'm very interested to hear about your alleged two-way street.

Robd, you posted over 12 hours ago. I first asked for an explanation 8 hours ago and again 4 hours ago.

As a matter of courtesy, if nothing else, an explanation would be welcome, as I'm very interested to hear about your alleged two-way street.
    Give the man a break, according to his profile he hasn't been online since 2.44 this afternoon.

I'm not sure what he's talking about, but since you ask for it, as far as I am concerned, the 'send-off' you gave to Trampy last february, although I do understand and have sympathy for the frustration and the anger, didn't reflect well on you on a business perspective.
    Last edited by Caro; 6th-June-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Give the man a break, according to his profile he hasn't been online since 2.44 this afternoon.
    Fair point Caro

To be honest, I tend to avoid such issues but such a sweeping allegation deserves an explanation, don't you think?

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    I'm not sure what he's talking about, but since you ask for it, as far as I am concerned, the 'send-off' you gave to Trampy last february, although I do understand and have sympathy for the frustration and the anger, didn't reflect well on you on a business perspective.
    You might well be right, but I'm not a robot and my emotions got the better of me when I saw Trampy crying, because it was his last gig at Southport, I could feel his pain.

However, that could hardly be termed in the same context as Robd's "two-way street"

You might well be right, but I'm not a robot and my emotions got the better of me when I saw Trampy crying, because it was his last gig at Southport, I could feel his pain.
    I know and it's fair enough, that's why I said I understand it.

Did anyone see the couple dancing to "Pump it" on sunday night in the main room at all?
    It wasn't Jordan & Tatiana, was it? - I've heard they do not a bad to 'Pump It'.

PM

Finally getting a chance to post...hope that keeps those who have been pointing out my tardiness happy, he, he!!

Well, my first SP and OMG did it far exceed my expectations!! I think I'm still floating!

Thanks for all the amazing dances, particularly later in the Blues room when it got quieter. I had couple of notable dances in the Latin Room where everthing just seemed to click!

Thanks also to my 'weekend regulars'. I really enjoyed our dances from those I've had the pleasure of dancing with before and also from some new people that it was good to meet. Thanks also for all the compliments and words of encouragement - I really appreciate it!

It was great to have the opportunity to get to know some of the crowd down from Scotland better especially Firefly, Nessiemonster, Passion Harem, Alan, P-Meister and being introduced to Lemoncake.
    Oh, and Killing Time - how can I forget the bananna moment! I'm scarred for life!!
    And thanks to the ladies who offered me a lift back to Edinburgh. It was such a laugh in the car. I wonder if the white van man recovered from his excitement!

It was also good to catch up with some of the Norn Ireland group - Lynn, Paul, Mike. See you all on the 16th.

The uniform theme was great fun. Most people put in a lot of effort, particularly some of the finalists and of course the winners. My cheerleader's uniform seemed to go down well as I hardly got to sit all night. At one point I thought I would never take it off, ever, but that might have an adverse effect after a while!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post
    The flapjack material certainly seemed to go down well - maybe I should market it next time as great dance food?!
    Definately! I could have done with some several times before breakfast on Sun. Dancin till breakfast was cool.

Saving the best till last, thanks to Minnie M and the gang for the BBQ and for making us new folks so welcome.

Roll on Southport Sept!!

Sheena

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    ... thanks to Ed for the Compeed hiking plaster things - amazing! Everyone stock up for your next weekender - they work a treat!
    After the mess I made of my feet at Blaze by wearing beautiful new shoes that I hadn't broken in, I came supplied with a stock of these 'second skin' things - they were a godsend. I put them on before blisters developed and it was fine.
    Feet were still aching though but only because I refused to give up wearing heels till at least 5am!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post
    I note (from my general skimming of comments) that most of the people saying they didn't like the marquee are male (I'm happy to be proved wrong!) From a female perspective I Prefer the marquee - it means I can spin and glide properly without risking my knees or ankles (and shoe heels) on the decking. A roof over? A small price to pay for relaxed, enjoyable dances and prolonged good health!!
    (see above - I just have to wear heels!!)

Johnah

As Caro pointed out, I was not online after about a quarter to three yesterday.

I'll PM you. There's nothing to gain by going into detail on the forum. It was one downside to a weekend which, on the whole, was as good as any of the Southports I have attended. Let's keep this thread for the positive aspects.

Robert

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    keep this thread for the positive aspects.
    Why start now?

But I could always split your stuff into a separate thread if you want...

Yes I did ,It was it was Dora and Franck from Paris they were amazing , lucky enough to get some dances off her earlier that evening. One of my highlights of weekend.

Would have made a good Cabaret.

Well hard to say as there were lots of couples dancing to it...obviously!

I know I had one of my most memorable dances of the weekend to that with an amazing dancer at the bottom end of the dance floor but sadly I don't know who he was. Got lots of lovely compliments from onlookers after though which made my weekend! This is a great song which really brings out the best of everyone - love the beat! Noticed lots of people really going for it!
    Last edited by littlewiggle; 7th-June-2007 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
    Reflections of Southport

Dances

Fantastic dances, memorable dances, enjoyable dances.
    Dance den - fun
    Blues Room - busy
    Latin Room - variable
    Ballroom - disastrous

WCS
    Watched lots of WCSers in the Dance Den. I was inspired. I wanted to learn. Can I learn WCS and Tango? Can I devote enough time and attention to both? Yeah, why not. I’d made up my mind.

Sunday afternoon I watched one woman dancing WCS and it’s put me right off. Problem solved.

Tango
    He asked me to dance, he gripped me, he pulled me, he pushed me, he shoved me.
    A girl can only take so much without saying something, right?
    He apologised, he’s only had two lessons. Really! Well he did ask me to dance and it was a milonga so did I expect to be hauled around? Nope.

Salsa
    A guy led me in Salsa. The moment was short lived. He took delight in wrapping our arms into some manner of reef knot then tried to push my head through the middle. His forearm repeatedly scraping the top and back of my head as he tried to force me into position.
    A girl can only take so much without saying something, right?

Well thank you for the lesson and I’m well aware of the name of this move but I gently pointed out that it’s called ‘a comb’ because it ‘represents’ a comb, it isn’t an 'actual' comb.

Believe me this whole scenario bears no resemblance to the slow, seductive, sensuous teasing and pulling of the lady’s hair as the leader lowers her into a gentle dip. While I’m in the fortunate position of having hair that doesn’t object too much to being disturbed, like many women I care about my appearance. More than a few of us would be pissed off with his lack of consideration.

Man or ?
    I’m talking to a couple. I notice the man’s nails. He’s wearing nail varnish. I mention it. He smiles. He tells me he’s also wearing eye liner. I really don’t want to know. He tells me he’s wearing concealer to hide the bags under his eyes. I don’t want to know that either. I’ve heard enough. I’m traumatised. I walk away.

Fancy Dress
    Dashing men in uniforms, crikey, who was that gorgeous guy in the hat and white uniform? Hundreds of people publicly living their sexual fantasies. Schools and hospitals being the clear favourite. Suffice to say, I’ve been a member of the medical profession for a while and I don’t know of any Healthcare Trust which provides a uniform which has even a passing resemblance to the costumes exhibited on Saturday night.

Cake
    Never ending supply on Friday night, much appreciated

The Thong
    Blues Room, Sunday afternoon, a stir is caused by the ‘lady’ in the short grey flared skirt, chunky bare legs, stumpy boots and black thong knickers.

Her dancing involved a lot of jumping, hip swinging and twirling. Looking around the room the amazement on peoples faces was a picture. Were they admiring the movement of her skirt? Were they assessing the definition of her glutes? I’ve never seen so many distracted people with mouths open, fingers pointing and jaws dropping.

Her desire for attention was clearly her motivation, I question why she desires that kind of attention. Is her mother to blame? Was she neglected as a child? Hours of therapy may not be enough to discover the route of her issue.

The Men
    Watched two men dancing together. I know them, I’ve danced with them, yet, I was fascinated. He doesn’t lead women like that. He doesn’t concentrate on female followers with such attention, gentleness, care and consideration. Not for me to question why. Just nice to see dancers looking so… er... comfortable.

The Dance
    I had The Dance. I’ve relived it a zillion times. I’m off to the Learning Tango thread to share the experience in print…
    Guess we wont see you back then but thats the best definition of a hot shot i could find I thank you

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Guess we wont see you back then but thats the best definition of a hot shot i could find I thank you
    Which particular part - the bit where she's referring to not liking her hair being yanked involuntarily?

Or the bit where she doesn't like being yanked around?

If so, I think that makes all women hotshots.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Maybe not a hotshot but certainly a post that comes across as being negative, derogatory and snooty.

Did I just say all that?.....

Nice to see the 'walkers' giving the 'westies' a run for their money in the snoot stakes though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    Oh, and Killing Time - how can I forget the bananna moment! I'm scarred for life!!
    What? As FireFly will attest to I was just eating a banana .

Quote Originally Posted by Shea View Post
    And thanks to the ladies who offered me a lift back to Edinburgh. It was such a laugh in the car. I wonder if the white van man recovered from his excitement!
    Sounds like it was a fun trip. I was a little disappointed you didn't come up with us .

Thread Information