Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Finally - have had enough sleep to think straight...

I've said before that Southport has never disappointed me, and that still stands true. I had an amazing time.

The combination of good company, great music, awesome weather and incredible dancers did it for me again.

A few of the highlights...

Meeting up with those people I only ever get the opportunity to see at SP, and meeting new people.

Baileys and choc cheesecake, half a dozen spoons and a free for all...

The JN's chalet block - you guys are awesome! First SP for many of you and you certainly made sure you enjoyed it.

The dancers who had so much to give in terms of their dancing, and who gave it so freely and generously. CJ, Raphael, PretzelMeister, DTS, Board-Rider, Gus, BlueShoes to name a few. You guys made a big difference to a lot of people I care about - and were at the heart of many of my memorable moments...

I had no idea that All that Jazz could be so fab! PM the word fun was invented for you... And the dance I had, late on Sunday afternoon in the Blues room with Christopher...

Line dancing - wow! How much fun was that!!!

John - You couldn't do more. You made what could have been quite a complicated and overwhelming task so simple and easy for me - I thank you.

The blues room - it never loses its magic.

Yes, there were different faces in there this time... I felt that those who were in the blues room this time added to the experience rather than detracted.

Yes, the marquee made things a little different on the decking. I couldn't see the stars unless I stepped outside, but I didn't have to worry about my heels or ankles on the dodgy floor either. We were lucky with the weather - it could have been a completely different scenario.

Yes, the music was varied, at times challenging, at times reassuringly familiar, at times it lifted my tired spirits and at times it mellowed me to my very core. I heard old favourites, I found new favourites, there were some tracks I hated and others I never thought I would enjoy but did. If some of the music didn't suit me - at times it was a relief... At least I could then grab a bite to eat and have a wander through the other rooms!

This is fast becoming an epic post for me so I will finish with my apologies...

For the most appalling singing of the weekend... To the 3 couples who had a deep and moving moment ruined by my "did I sing that out loud?" Black Velvet moment

To the guys who endured my extremely amateurish attempts at leading... I am taking the maxim 'must try harder' to heart and will attempt to have improved a little by September

And especially for my own version of 'I carried a watermelon...'

I can feel your Milky Way... Cringe....!

How many sleeps now til Southport??

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    Finally - have had enough sleep to think straight...
    I presume you found the 40 people you lost SW? How careless of you.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I presume you found the 40 people you lost SW? How careless of you.
    Even more careless of them to lose me...

Quote Originally Posted by madmadmarion View Post
    And the lovely James Mc??? is James McLauchlan, who spent nearly all his time dancing in every area but the den, even tho anyone who knows him knows how great he is at WCS. (i'm not biased, really i'm not, ok maybe a wee bit well he is my friend so i'm allowed! lol).
    He is lovely.... thank u for reminding me who he was!!!! He said i was a good b1tch! made my weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Lory View Post
    I shall be awarding the marks out of 10 later on today

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard View Post
    I had another great Southport weekend

Personal Highs
    Playing my first ever late night set in the Blues room from 4am till My Main Hall sets especially Caz falling down to audio Bullys

Other High moments

Watching Jamie dance and being soooooo good whilst eating a cake

The not so High bits
    Everything going quiet in the Main hall - but Wes was on hand and we were soon powered up - big thank you to the dancers that came back
    Not being able to keep going longer in the main hall Sunday Morning - but realise getting the room ready for the next day is a must.
    taking an evening nap & sleeping through the Cabaret

looking forward to September
    LL
    Ps had two sleeps since Southport and flying off to a weeks Rock'n'Roll Holiday in Portugal tonight..............it's a tough life but someone has to do it
    really enjoyed your sets LL - glad u liked my impromptu solo dance

glad the main room got going again after the power out.. shame we cudn't keep going on sunday night / monday morning tho

jamie is just too good isnt he

thank u so much for my dance in the blues room on sunday night too

all i can say is that i hope u r dj'ing the last slot next time at SP

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    did you get a piece of cake

and i thought it was because your were going to do a Northern Soul set

yes I got cake, but dj'ing and eating cake is a lot easier than dancing & eating cake

The Northern Soul set lost it's momentum after the power failure - the room finaly got the buzz back when I played (very loud) 'insomnia' which I thought any track with lyrics "I can't get no sleep" was appropriate for Southport - I so nearly played 'house of pain - Jump around' but chickened out
    LL

This was my 6th, and so far best, Southport.

Such a shame this will be my last one, maybe not for ever, but at least for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Caz View Post
    glad the main room got going again after the power out.. shame we cudn't keep going on sunday night / monday morning tho

jamie is just too good isnt he

thank u so much for my dance in the blues room on sunday night too

all i can say is that i hope u r dj'ing the last slot next time at SP
    We were lucky in Feb there was not another event on Monday morning so J&W let the main hall continue

But this time the venue had to be ready for pontins early Monday Morning.
    Jamie is so good - I hate him (not really mate )
    The pleasure of the dance was all mine - Thank YOU

I DJ'd last slot in the Blues Room Friday plus Main Hall Sat & Sunday
    i would love to do those slots again, I miss playing the real slow down blues room music slots.
    But i also love playing high energy music in the main hall (although I did include some mellow tracks to give dancers a bit of a rest)

Sunday night was my first ever 100% video DJ'ing at Southport - every track was played on DVD up till the 'last track' sorry about dobie grey fletch
    till the next one
    LL

Quote Originally Posted by Nessiemonster View Post
    I note (from my general skimming of comments) that most of the people saying they didn't like the marquee are male (I'm happy to be proved wrong!) From a female perspective I Prefer the marquee - it means I can spin and glide properly without risking my knees or ankles (and shoe heels) on the decking. A roof over? A small price to pay for relaxed, enjoyable dances and prolonged good health!!
    A big !

I loved the open space of the decking, but only ever had a handful of dances on it at any one weekender because of the surface. And of course if it was raining it was totally unusable and the blues room doors would need to be shut. A marquee, with open sides in sunny weather, a decent floor, and giving an extension to the blues room that can be used in all weathers, seems like a perfect compromise.

Reflections of Southport

Dances

Fantastic dances, memorable dances, enjoyable dances.
    Dance den - fun
    Blues Room - busy
    Latin Room - variable
    Ballroom - disastrous

Shoes vs. Clothes
    Shoes on sale in large cupboard tucked away out of sight in cramped space.
    Clothes on sale in main area, busy thoroughfare, masses of room in full view with constant passing trade.
    Understandably there were a few grumbles from the shoe vendors. I know which location I would prefer.

WCS
    Watched lots of WCSers in the Dance Den. I was inspired. I wanted to learn. Can I learn WCS and Tango? Can I devote enough time and attention to both? Yeah, why not. I’d made up my mind.

Sunday afternoon I watched one woman dancing WCS and it’s put me right off. Problem solved.

Tango
    He asked me to dance, he gripped me, he pulled me, he pushed me, he shoved me.
    A girl can only take so much without saying something, right?
    He apologised, he’s only had two lessons. Really! Well he did ask me to dance and it was a milonga so did I expect to be hauled around? Nope.

Salsa
    A guy led me in Salsa. The moment was short lived. He took delight in wrapping our arms into some manner of reef knot then tried to push my head through the middle. His forearm repeatedly scraping the top and back of my head as he tried to force me into position.
    A girl can only take so much without saying something, right?

Well thank you for the lesson and I’m well aware of the name of this move but I gently pointed out that it’s called ‘a comb’ because it ‘represents’ a comb, it isn’t an 'actual' comb.

Believe me this whole scenario bears no resemblance to the slow, seductive, sensuous teasing and pulling of the lady’s hair as the leader lowers her into a gentle dip. While I’m in the fortunate position of having hair that doesn’t object too much to being disturbed, like many women I care about my appearance. More than a few of us would be pissed off with his lack of consideration.

Man or ?
    I’m talking to a couple. I notice the man’s nails. He’s wearing nail varnish. I mention it. He smiles. He tells me he’s also wearing eye liner. I really don’t want to know. He tells me he’s wearing concealer to hide the bags under his eyes. I don’t want to know that either. I’ve heard enough. I’m traumatised. I walk away.

Fancy Dress
    Dashing men in uniforms, crikey, who was that gorgeous guy in the hat and white uniform? Hundreds of people publicly living their sexual fantasies. Schools and hospitals being the clear favourite. Suffice to say, I’ve been a member of the medical profession for a while and I don’t know of any Healthcare Trust which provides a uniform which has even a passing resemblance to the costumes exhibited on Saturday night.

Cake
    Never ending supply on Friday night, much appreciated

The Thong
    Blues Room, Sunday afternoon, a stir is caused by the ‘lady’ in the short grey flared skirt, chunky bare legs, stumpy boots and black thong knickers.

Her dancing involved a lot of jumping, hip swinging and twirling. Looking around the room the amazement on peoples faces was a picture. Were they admiring the movement of her skirt? Were they assessing the definition of her glutes? I’ve never seen so many distracted people with mouths open, fingers pointing and jaws dropping.

Her desire for attention was clearly her motivation, I question why she desires that kind of attention. Is her mother to blame? Was she neglected as a child? Hours of therapy may not be enough to discover the route of her issue.

The Men
    Watched two men dancing together. I know them, I’ve danced with them, yet, I was fascinated. He doesn’t lead women like that. He doesn’t concentrate on female followers with such attention, gentleness, care and consideration. Not for me to question why. Just nice to see dancers looking so… er... comfortable.

The Dance
    I had The Dance. I’ve relived it a zillion times. I’m off to the Learning Tango thread to share the experience in print…

We were lucky in Feb there was not another event on Monday morning so J&W let the main hall continue

But this time the venue had to be ready for pontins early Monday Morning.
    Jamie is so good - I hate him (not really mate )
    The pleasure of the dance was all mine - Thank YOU

I DJ'd last slot in the Blues Room Friday plus Main Hall Sat & Sunday
    i would love to do those slots again, I miss playing the real slow down blues room music slots.
    But i also love playing high energy music in the main hall (although I did include some mellow tracks to give dancers a bit of a rest)

Sunday night was my first ever 100% video DJ'ing at Southport - every track was played on DVD up till the 'last track' sorry about dobie grey fletch
    till the next one
    LL
    Fantastic sets you played to, everytime i left the main room i had to pop back in to dance to another

thinks thats the busiest ive seen it at 3am

sorry re the power cut i popped back in and thought this finished early

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    UGLY
    * Discovering that the petty feuding between Ceroc and Jive Addiction is a two way street

An explanation of this comment would be welcome please.

......I DJ'd last slot in the Blues Room Friday LL.......
    I remember not wanting to go to bed on the Friday night as I was enjoying the music so much.
    I confess I didnt actually look to see who was DJing but now I know.

Thanks LL

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    A big !

I loved the open space of the decking, but only ever had a handful of dances on it at any one weekender because of the surface. And of course if it was raining it was totally unusable and the blues room doors would need to be shut. A marquee, with open sides in sunny weather, a decent floor, and giving an extension to the blues room that can be used in all weathers, seems like a perfect compromise.
    Agree about the extra floor space.
    As someone who made one of the comments about the marquee I thought I would reply.

I loved the floor space and the quality of the floor (except when it was wet and truly dangerous as the marquee seemed to let water in).
    I would love to see the flooring back each time.

The trouble is I also preferred to dance outdoors in the sunshine.

Its a typical case of a customer (me) asking for the best of both worlds. Often thats simply not possible to provide but its my duty as a customer to ask the question!

Quote Originally Posted by CeeCee View Post
    [The Men
    Watched two men dancing together. I know them, I’ve danced with them, yet, I was fascinated. He doesn’t lead women like that. He doesn’t concentrate on female followers with such attention, gentleness, care and consideration. Not for me to question why. Just nice to see dancers looking so… er... comfortable.

[/COLOR]
    Not so facinating was the look on some peoples' faces when two men were dancing early Sunday morning........very uncomfortable for this man, anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Pants View Post
    Not so facinating was the look on some peoples' faces when two men were dancing early Sunday morning........very uncomfortable for this man, anyway
    I'm guessing you are talking about the Jamie (yes again) and Roger C dance?
    I was trying to dance next to them! It was very distracting!
    At one time, I looked over in the Blues room and there were 3 sets of men dancing together in a row! No wonder it seemed like there was an inbalance of the sexes.

I was trying to dance next to them! It was very distracting!
    At one time, I looked over in the Blues room and there were 3 sets of men dancing together in a row! No wonder it seemed like there was an inbalance of the sexes.
    Actually I wasn't.....I was talking about a dance I had with someone. I thought it was lovely...totally lost in the moment until I happened to catch the faces of some people by the dancefloor.....very unplesant.

Commercial Operator

Don't think he's referring to that one Di.....but I know who was involved, coz they were dancing just in front of the decks .....and it didn't bother me a bit..

Hey tigerpants.... i was there too ...the two of you looked amazing dancing together!!!

Actually I wasn't.....I was talking about a dance I had with someone. I thought it was lovely...totally lost in the moment until I happened to catch the faces of some people by the dancefloor.....very unplesant.
    Oh dear, i'm sorry to hear that. I guess some people are still very naive in their thinking.

Well I was stood at the bar with Wayne the bar man we were watching your dance and it looked lovely to us anyway we were very impressed.

Thread Information