Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Commercial Operator

Re: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    3pm-ish: A couple of hours dancing in the Blues room in the afternoon. Hmmm, that's unusual, I never thought of AC/DC as Blues music before...
    Would sleazy song, in compound time at approx 100 bpm count as blues??

Tired as a tired thing... comments to follow..

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    Would sleazy song, in compound time at approx 100 bpm count as blues??
    Err, dunno. But I don't know what the "Blues room ethos" is either - out of interest, were any of the DJs provided with guidance, or was it all left up to them to decide what to play?

Quote Originally Posted by killingtime View Post
    [*]Not meeting DJ. I don't even think he was there, I think he's just making stuff up about the weekend based on what he read in the programme.
    Blast, you've found me out.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Have started to post youtube vids of the weekender and have done a sperate thread.

They will apear over the course of the day and can be found under my profile at YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Still in two minds to post the one DJ said he would remove. What if I got permission from the other dancer DJ? or maybe explained the content and had a poll? The only offensive bit would be DT's commentry but that was more funny than rude.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Still in two minds to post the one DJ said he would remove. What if I got permission from the other dancer DJ?
    I can't stop you putting vids on Youtube of course, but I think, as a general rule, you should only put vids of other people up for a positive reason, rather than a "laughing-at-someone" reason.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    I can't stop you putting vids on Youtube of course, but I think, as a general rule, you should only put vids of other people up for a positive reason, rather than a "laughing-at-someone" reason.
    What if the other person took part in the laughing. One of the funny points was your face when you walked past.

In all honesty, it prob wont go up unless she says it's ok to. She knew it was being filmed and played up to the camera too.

I asked sam to film me dancing and was on my way to grab a forumite when she grabbed me on the way past. Was just abit unfortunate that it was her that got filmed.

Think she was pretty cool with it. I mentioned to her whilst dancing near the end that her skirt was comming up when she span and she just said I know. Someone else came over to her after our dance and told her as well. She didn't go and change at all so it must have not been bothering her.

I know you can't control youtube but I wouldn't post it up there out of principle. I thought I danced alright though.

Well, I had a good weekend.

This definately wasnt one of my favourite Southport weekends though. I felt quite a few areas let me down - not personally but from a general dance perspective.

I wrote one of my usual long reviews but I decided not to post it as it sounds as though I hated it. Not true. I did enjoy it.

I am still not working at full throttle this morning but at least I can put down a few words:

The Good

- Jordan and Tatiana generally - their cabaret and classes were totally inspirational and I learnt such a lot from them this weekend. . Not only are they inspirational teachers but two of the nicest and approachable people too.

- Impromptu WCS set - It was great to just have a place to go and do WCS for hours. I have mentioned in previous posts but I did not dance much in the room but stood and watched the trully inspirational dancers, which was great.

- Line Dancing class - This has to have been my favourite class of the whole weekend - it was such fun and great exercise. Everyone I have spoke to about it enjoyed it too.

- Thanks to Dave Hancock and Jennifer for allowing me to partner with them in the advanced WCS class as I don't think I could have fitted into the room otherwise becasue there was so many people there.

- Some fantastic dances over the weekend - both jive and WCS. It really increased my confidence to dance with such good dancers.

- Cakes!! Thanks to LC for bringing the cakes over to the Blues room - the gingercake was yummy and also to Aleks for apple and blackberry crumble - to die for!!

- Thanks to KT for being my chalet mate - never a dull moment!! Also big thanks to Nessiemonster for allowing the invitation to dinner extend to me.

- Costume party - Some great uniforms were out there - the UP's especially and various men in army uniforms . Sexy ladies included Sparkles and LYF.

- Having an attack of underconfidence on sunday night, I was failing miserably in my mission to ask Jordan and Paul Warden to dance, Gav cheekily stepped in and went straight up to Jordan and asked him to dance with me . Thanks Gav

The Bad

- blues room overcrowded between about 11 and 3 in the morning. It made the whole room so hot.

- The advanced WCS class in the Dance Den was so overcrowded that people could not fit in to do it. This was especially annoying as I know that there werer dancers in there who could not even lead a sugar push and had only had their first lesson the day before . It did spoil it for the dancers who had been doing WCS for a while and truly wanted to learn more advanced techniques.

- I didn't manage to get to LM's cafe . I had 4 books with me to swap and was really looking forward to tasting cheesecake but was so absorbed in the classes and atmosphere that I completely forgot.

- I don't really know why but I don't think that the blues room had the same atmosphere as the previous Southports. It amy have been the gazebo, the heat, the music, the fact that certain dancers were missing this time - I could not place it.

- The heat in all the rooms at certain times was unbearable. I did try and dance a few dances in the Latin room and Main room over the weekend but could not stand the heat for that long. The gazebo did help in that respect but I think that it did enclose the heat a bit as you did not get the breeze.

- The music in the Blues room seemed to be a bit hit and miss this weekend. There was faster music played in there at various times during the weekend which I don't think worked.

- my feet and legs hurt beyond description

Overall this weekend has been so fantastic mainly because it has been Southport . You cannot get that same atmosphere anywhere else and John and Wes pull out the stops every time to make sure it lives up to its potential. Well Done Guys

Most of the good points have already been said so no need repeating them

Improvements for me on February were the effort made by people on the fancy dress a more broader theme appears to have appeal and the cabaret was good and not too long. Well done the plebs for a fun set

Only down points the heat in main room , again just an extra cooler would have been nice and some more bar staff but didn’t notice major waiting times. Didn’t attend any classes and dance with as many people id have liked to.

Big thanks for all forumites and non forumties who made Caroline so welcome . Her first time ever dancing and to be thrown in at the deep end at a weekender could have been problematic but she was amaze how nice the forumties and non forumties are and how much time some of you gave her .

To the DJ fader in the main room (im sure I heard booing to one song he faded) and the DJ who played mid 70s bouncy theme for the blues room, there was no change to what I expected from these two. The blues room isn’t so blue as before

Overall felt the gap between the Southport weekender and Ceroc weekender continues to widen and would suspect September to be sold out shortly ?

ps respect to the Pars for wining again

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepman View Post

And rep due to Twirlie Bird, I think you were the only other person still in costume for breakfast on Sunday morning, I bet you didn't get the same strange looks as you went back to your chalet though!

Greg
    I was still in my school uniform at breakfast, dont you remember Sheepman, we looked like twins, in fact, Spikey Steve said only our mother could tell us apart

Zara xx

Thumbs up Re: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Wow,

My first Southport (or indeed weekender of any sort) and what a weekender it was. I managed to have the grand total of 8 hours sleep between waking on friday morning and leaving on monday morning, plenty I thought. The one and only problem arose when I needed to stay awake long enough navigate as far as the motorway. I failed, and woke to the sound of the driver cursing because we were not only lost but heading in entirely the wrong direction!!! How the map book did not find itself somewhere dark I will never know!

I don't believe I have ever felt such a mixture of emotions in such a small space of time. In summary, pre Southport excitement , initial SP intimidation , mid SP love and end of SP total exhaustion would prbably be quite accurate.

My weekend highs would have to include CJ's 3 amazing sets in the blues room. 2 fantastic mariachi sets (I may start to follow you around the country to catch more of these) and a fantastic set on the saturday evening that manged to keep the blues room packed despite the unfortunate clash with the cabaret. CJ you are a God , thank you.

I also have to mention the fantastic dances I had with the guys from SW's Jive Nites. You guys were amazing, friendly, welcoming and soooooo much fun. I look forward to my next chance to catch some of you on the dance floor.

Big to the organisers, you did a fantastic job and I am sure I speak for the majority when I ask 'how many sleeps left till sept?'

HF

Talking Re: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

It was my first southport. What can i say it was great!

My custom made tshirt arrived just as i was leaving. So that was an added bonus!

Went to the forum meet and greet now that was scary! I must admit to fleeing the scene.

Went through did the icebreakers class. Then came back through to say hello and dance. It was really nice to meet you all and dance a little It didn't take me long to settle into southport at all.

You were all so great and welcoming so that made a huge difference to SP!

I spent most of my freestyling time in the blues room. Was ok didn't armjive too much had a wee lesson from Tessalicious which helped alot ! Thankyou

Stayed up till breakfast call once. Must remember to bring food next time. (Also a jumper when it gets cold... brrrrr...) No redbull was needed cause of all the wonderful dances i was having. More than a enough to keep me wide wake

Still looking up the tunes that were played in the blues room. Think I'm a blues convert.

Didn't really bother dancing in the latin room. That room was way to warm and smelt rank! Main room was warm but still good if i needed to heat up the main room was best place to be.

BBQ was lovely kind of happened onto it while going to get my wallet for a pair of feet. For all my oh 's about choclate cake i didn't make it to the LM cafe. Was told there was cake at the BBQ but must have missed that cause i optted for a snooze.

Costumes were great! Main room during the main event was soo warm. Well done to Mr and Mrs Par in winning the fancy dress award. Trouble and DTS had i think the most fun outfits.

I think Southport as a whole wasn't to bad. Though i doubt i'd go on holiday there.

Main thing that will stick in my memory of SP was loosing count of how many fantastic dances i had. how small a dance space everyone had when it was busy. Loved the double trouble workshop think thats really quite fun. Also the dips, drops and seducers was great.

I could go on but while the wheel is turning the hamster is dead. Need to recharge before dancing tonight.

Blog Entries

Well what a fanstastic weekend. For me my best yet.

Great bits...

>>>>Starting the weekend at service station with Minnie and having a good chinwag with all who came.

>>>>My first weekend dances with MikeyR who grabbed me the minute i stepped my foot onto the decking - what a compliment and what a great start.

>>>>>DTS - hysterically funny and loving all weekend.

>>>> FANCY DRESS - im sure pics will be on soon so you can see why this was a highlight. We got second place but Under Pars were above and beyond the winners. thanks WITTY great fun

>>>>> Minnies barbeque - lovely relaxing couple of hours with pimms and great conversation.

>>>> Homemade cheesecake shared with Sara and her gang in the sunshine with whisky....

>>>>>lesson with CJ and Sara - learnt a lot .. thanks guys

>>> DT and Gav - great chalet partners

>>> RUBY RED - kept DTS smiling all weekend

>>> SEAHORSE - find of the weekend for me.

>>> getting a card from a load of the forumites for my birthday .... so sweet xx

bad bits
    <<<< FAR TOO SHORT PASSED BY TOO QUICK

<<<< missing CJ's set sunday afternoon

<<<< not getting too dance with all that i wanted too

<<<< not knowing WCS was going on in DEN

<<<< bloody shower and holding that knob - how annoying.

cant wait for September...xxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    bad bits

cant wait for September...xxxxx
    You should have told him to wait outside until you'd finished

Talking Re: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

My very first Southport! Where to start... umm WOW!

I had been to Chill and everyone was telling me that I hadn't experienced a weekender until I had been to Southport. I must admit that I thought that there couldn't be that much difference between a Ceroc event and a JiveAddiction one. I mean take 1,000 or so dancers, add music, add classes, add great DJs and allow to simmer for 72 hours, et voila. Could I have possibly been more wrong? Not wishing to take anything away from the fun and enjoyment I had at Chill.... Southport is in a completely different league. Now I understand. Now I get it. I can't explain it - but I get it. It completely deserves the description of the UK dance Mecca.
    Wes and John have created something really special, and something that they are rightfully very proud of

OK, enough gushing praise... what was it like for this Southport virgin? I was amazed at the speed the atmosphere built with. Within a couple of hours it was just soooo laid back and relaxed. The venue was well laid out (huge thank you to UnderPar for the guided tour when we first got there - it was really useful to get our bearings from the get-go) The people were so relaxed that I felt I could ask anyone to dance. Nobody seemed up themselves in the blues room at any time. I even asked Tatiana for a dance in there on Sunday night... I came grinning off of the dance floor straight up to Twirly Bird and announced "I just did my sh1t West Coast on Tatiana"! I was on a high for the rest of the night... OK I still am on high. I could have danced MJ with her I guess, but with six WCS lessons under my belt I thought I would unleash my moves on her

It did get VERY hot, but this was not such an issue for me as I lived in the blues room marquee for the weekend. I was surprised not to see those big propeller fans as they really do shift some air about. Free iced water on the bar all night was a huge plus, and the bar staff were very quick with more water and ice when I asked. So no complaints on that front.

I didn't do any classes. I just danced right through the nights and slept for as little as I could get away with. I even got a free breakfast (eventually... "I work in the shop you know!" ). It was lovely putting dances to forum-names. I inflicted my WCS on the lovely Caro, who was very patient and forgiving (although she did look a little puzzled at some of my amazing attempts to lead WCS)... fortunately my ploy of not trying to wedge a Stokie Slide into my WCS worked and I managed to get a second dance with her (MJ not WCS she's patient but there are limits) on the promise of a Stokie Slide.

It was fantastic to see everyone at the BBQ. Thank you Minnie M for sorting that out. We were all having a blast and your place got invaded! Brilliant party! I got to juggle fire, and managed to encourage Under Par onto the stilts... just what he needed, a little more height! Thanks again Minnie M

I would love to list my stand out dances, but there were soo many, lots of them with people I didn't know - sorry. Ruby Red Trouble Tatiana (natch) Lory WittyBird Caroline (Stewart38's very brave lady) Lynn Yuko Rebecca (the BBQ stilts girl - she wasn't wearing stilts when we danced) and I spent ages on Sunday afternoon in the blues room on a quiet floor having dance after dance after dance with Twirlie Bird to CJs blisteringly good set (best couple of hours of the entire weekend for me - soppy maybe, but there y'go).

Ohh there really is too much to say. But, at least next time I will understand why I am getting so excited! Dancing is a spiritual experience if you do it at the mecca of dance - Southport! Roll on September
    Last edited by StokeBloke; 5th-June-2007 at 03:10 PM.

next time shower alone

Commercial Operator

GO on tell us more, the standard that WES & JOHN have achieved is un matchable but with honest opinions they can only improve. This was my 6th Southport and I have such a buzz from this event, one can only want more.

Tell us more??

Bluey

Commercial Operator

[QUOTE=Paul F;378166]Well, I had a good weekend.

This definately wasnt one of my favourite Southport weekends though. I felt quite a few areas let me down - not personally but from a general dance perspective.

Opps failed to hit right button sorry

GO on tell us more, the standard that WES & JOHN have achieved is un matchable but with honest opinions they can only improve. This was my 6th Southport and I have such a buzz from this event, one can only want more.

Tell us more??

Bluey

My first ever Southport and it will not be my last.

I had so many good experiences and i will not bore you with them all but the stand outs are - the dips and drop workshop - Mariachy with CJ - saturday night in the blues room - line dancing - and seeing DTS dressed as bubbles, i could go on.

The badish bit, some of the sets in the blues room reminded me of a 70s disco. Thank god for CJ's change in tempo and his mariachy set. But it certainly did not spoil my weekend i just moved rooms.

Thank you to all those dancers who taught me so much without saying a word, but just let me stand and watch. Thanks to the guys who danced and looked after my wife so well, i would name you but i do not know your forum names sorry.

I did not understand or get the Southport hype until now, however we cannot wait till September, have already booked the weekend off work, bring it on.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Zara View Post
    I was still in my school uniform at breakfast, - snip - Spikey Steve said only our mother could tell us apart
    Oops, sorry we were at different tables.

Should I be worrying about Spikey Steve? Didn't he notice my legs are hairyer than yours?

Greg

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well you shouldn't have agreed to share the shower with DTS then!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Thread Information