Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

Commercial Operator

Talking Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

What a weekend.

You were all right. Southport is absolutely out of this world. Later I will try to put into words what I experienced this weekend. The highs, highers and ecstatics! Right now though every single muscle in my body aches and I feel and look like like a zombie. A very happy one though. Danced all night and am now back home and my bed is calling me. Goodnight.

Re: Southport - How Was It For You

Twirlie - so glad to here that you enjoyed your 1st southport!!! and looking forward to hearing all about your adventures

Just picking up emails on way to work so tought I'd just quickly post a few unstructured thoughts.

Weather was superb ... but a bit of two edged sword ... made for a great party atmosphere and the outside area of the Blues room was superb. Flipside was that some of the workshops were very humid.

Music ... flet it was better than Feb. Especially appreciated sets by LL and Sheepman in Blues room on Sunday. Thought TWK also mad e a good contribution ... even when playing to a nearly barren Latin room. Having said that there were times over the weekend when the Latin room was packed

Highlight of the weekend for me was J&T .. more thoughts on them later, but as an intrsuctor I thought their teaching style was superb ... shame there were still elements in the corwd who had the attitude of "I don't care if I don't understand what you've shown me so far .. NEXT MOVE NOW!" ... hey ho.

Hordes of great dancers ... even though I'd promised myslef to prop up the bar all weekend ... lasting memory will be last night ... had to be in bed by 11 to get enough sleep for the drive to work ... started trying to leave the floor around 11.30 .... think I managed to escape by 12.30 (OK ... lightwieght I know) ... luscious dances with LemonCake again, great fun dnace with WB, similar with some of Sara's Jive Nights posse.

Also, BIG thanks to Caro for 'forcing' me to practice WCS even though I can't do it One day I will learn to count to 8.

OH ... before I forget ... I look forward to the impending thread of 101 uses for a Naked and Oiled KillingTime

B.T.C.

Had a great time - weather was hot which made the venues even hotter !!! - but a wonderful weekend. Only gripe - having 1 member of bar staff on most of the time with a restless queue building up.

The only problem I found was that it was so busy there were people I'd loved to have danced with but couldn't find or in some cases didn't know were at Southport till we were about to leave !

Highlight - without doubt the J&T cabaret - wow!!!!! . ALso really enjoyed watching Adam & Taz just messing about on the Blues floor on Sunday afternoon looking amazing.

Was also very surprised at how many people had the stamina, interest and brain cl left to come along to the Double Trouble class at 7.00 on Sunday. I was expecting around 15 people. but great to see everyone having fun and coping with all the moves.

Great fun.

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Re: Southport June 07 - How Was It For You?

First thoughts:

I need to get better at not sleeping.

I need to get dance shoes.

I need to try to be less fussy about music (I'm working on it, truly!)

I need to learn to manage my time better and somehow strike a balance between dancing all night and doing classes with the amazing teachers who are available.

Highs:
    • Lots of fab dances with lots of people (not nearly enough, for reasons of sleep or music-choosiness or tired feet on my part) - both forumites and non-forumites, familiar faces and new. to everyone, special mentions to Gus, Rhythm King, JiveAddicted, Alan (non-forum) and of course PretzelMeister
    • Jordan & Tatiana's performances
    • CJ's music - you never know what's next!
    • Being complimented on my dancing
    • Meeting so many forumites at the BBQ on Saturday (introductions got so much easier once I brought the cake along!).
    • Little Monkey's cheesecakes. And carrot cake. And chocolate cake.

Lows:
    • Needing to sleep/trying not to(& failing)/being too tired
    • Not having time for dances with everyone I meant to ask
    • Leaving early

See you in September!

Commercial Operator

WHAT a great weekender, don't leave it too late to book for September, well done Lynda on the BBQ, see you there!!

Just got back, need sleep. But oh god that was another fantastic Southport.
    J&T were fantastic and their teaching was great, shame their last class was so full as there was little space to try the moves properly.

The weather was fantastic but made for a very humid and hot setting in the dance rooms.
    Sorry I didn't make the BBQ or venture to LM's cafe even tho there was cheesecake saved for me, I'll try in September tho promise.
    Dances were great as always.
    Nice to see everyone again, bring on September
    Thank you John and Wes

Worked better for me this time than in February, partly I think because I stayed up late on Friday, then slept most of saturday night, and felt awake on Sunday. It felt less crowded to me on the floor than in Feb, and I managed to spend more time dancing in the blues room, even though at times I found the music a bit too tame here.

Highlight I think was seeing how the weekend transformed some of our party, and what they picked up in the blues room.

WCS classes - I like it, but it's really messing with my leading of MJ!

'Australian ceroc' - Predicted a shortage of followers in the fast and furious class, and this was backed up by one of our party saying she was terrified of being injured in this class. Can't really see the point of it myself... One well timed turn beats a double spin anytime in my book!

what a Fantastic weekend again

Highlights for me
    . Fancy dress on sat - bubbles and stripper just hallarious as with pauls ironing board and shorts, but winner very justified again by the space couple

. J and T - goes without saying really

. Weather

. Blues room music - great to see new DJS too - Frank from Manchester and Mick S did a fab set this weekend get then both back for Sep John and Wes!!!!

. Having lots of fantastic dances

Clear to say i really enjoyed myself as ever.

Southport Fantastic.John and Wes .... how long till the next one?

Very tired .. post again when head back together

Quote Originally Posted by under par View Post
    Southport Fantastic.John and Wes

The best ever.

More comments when my brain has recovered from severe sleep deprivation (just 8 hours sleep between Friday and now).

OK...here goes.

Friday

Got to Southport about 5 and went straight to the blues room. It was lovely to see so many happy, familiar faces. My first dance on the weekend was with Trampy on a hot sunny afternoon...perfect.

Only stopped dancing to shower and change for the evening. I did not venture outside of the blues room all weekend. I wouldn't do this at Camber, but I just love the breezy atmosphere of the blues room at Southport & don't feel the need to be anywhere else.

Highlight of Friday?...playing guess the chocolate with sis, DTS and Gav. Champagne truffle, my arse (don't ask)

Saturday

Prayed for the weather to stay nice for the forum BBQ and our prayers were answered. There was a slight shortage BBQ's so when the burgers and sausages did arrive, you would think the forumites had starved themselves for a week before hand.

As I was sipping a glass of Pimms and thinking what a lovely early evening it was turning out to be...the worst thing happened. It started to rain...! Well, I thought it was rain, but it was actually John with a water pistol, giving everyone a soaking. Thanks to Rhythm King for shielding me from the shower.

Can't wait to see Troubles thread called 'guess the chest'. All will be revealed.

Aleks - the crumbles were amazing, thanks for the cherry one made especially for me. I did my best to eat it all to myself too. Nice tits, by the way.

Minnie M..you are wonderful. Thanks for organising a great get together.

The fancydress was brilliant. Mr and Mys Under Par, you deserved to win. your costumes where a work of art. Trouble and DTS...you put zero effort in to your costume, but deserved to come second for comedy effect.

I got lots and lots of dances on Saturday night. I can't think why.

Sunday

Sunday afternoon was the best for me, in terms of music. TWK and Sheepman played the best sets of the weekend for me. I love you guys.

I had my 'wow' dance of the weekend on Sunday afternoon with Tigerpants. I'd never met him before and he was my find of the weekend. Lovely to meen you TP...I look forward to dancing with you again soon. You are amazing.

Funniest moments of the weekend was watching Mr McGoo bumping in to everyone, tripping over things and dropping ladies on the floor. Get some glasses, you numpty....!

The other funny moment was watching some poor unfortunate woman in the blues room on Sunday afternnon, being laughed at for hours, as she was wearing the shortest skirt with, what can only be discribed as cheese wire for underwear on. We couldn't decide what she had, had for breakfast, but we finally concluded it must have been hairy weetabix Watch out for the hilarious you tube video.

I made the mistake of having a *ahem* nap at about 10pm on Sunday. I was determined to get up at 1.30 for TWK's set...Instead, I woke up at 9am on Monday morning and missed Sunday night altogehter. Gav said you were great though Toby. I'll catch you at Funky Lush soon.

Thanks to DTS for keeping me amused all weekend. You are too funny for words. I can't wait til September.

Gav...thanks for making my weekend complete. I love you more than cake...yes...that much.

Downsides

Food in the restaurant was absolute dog poo, as usual and bar staff miserable and almost non-existent.

Blues room not bluesy enough.

Blog Entries

After a couple of months of being totally off dancing, I arrived on Friday afternoon and that was all behind me.
    I had my best weekender ever.
    Lovely dances with people I always love dancing with, lovely dances with people I've never danced with before.
    BBQ was awesome, atmosphere was great (if a little overcrowded in the evenings), fantastic company.
    Great to meet lots of new people.
    Tired, thoughts not making much sense, I'll comment on someone else's thoughts instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Friday
    Champagne truffle, my arse (don't ask)
    It's very nice, but champagne truffle?
    Saturday
    Aleks - the crumbles were amazing, thanks for the cherry one made especially for me. I did my best to eat it all to myself too. Nice tits, by the way.
    , errr about the crumbles of course
    Minnie M..you are wonderful. Thanks for organising a great get together.

Sunday

Funniest moments of the weekend was watching Mr McGoo bumping in to everyone, tripping over things and dropping ladies on the floor. Get some glasses, you numpty....!

Gav...thanks for making my weekend complete. I love you more than cake...yes...that much.
    Hehe, how about Gav with cake?

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Southport Blog
    Something slightly different this time - instead of a "the good the bad and the ugly" analysis-type post, here's a diary

Friday 1st June
    Pinch punch, first of the month.
    After fighting a little with the Ealing one way system, we're off – nice and early start, smooth drive through. Stop a couple of times – why is it that the tat in service stations always seems so appealing? I can never honestly see myself wearing a “12-compartment travel pouch” in broad daylight, but I have to resist the temptation to buy it.
    I miss the M6 toll road – eek – but fortunately the traffic going northbound is fine, although I can't say the same for the other way.
    We sail round Brum, we stroll past Manchester – and then we get stuck. In Ormskirk. 20 minutes of traffic later, we're in Suthport. Woo.
    Lunch at the Slug and Lettuce on the High Street (I can highly recommend the Slug Meze), then food shopping at Morrisons – I encounter Northern Friendliness when a nice guy shows me how to take the trolley out from the queue after watching me wrestle with it for 30 seconds

Finally, off to Pontins...

4pm: The weekend doesn't start well – the queue for the checking is massively disorganised, and it takes ages. Surely there must be some better way to do this? It can't be beyond the wit of man to devise a system that doesn't involve either queueing for 45 minutes or waiting until after 6pm to register? How difficult can it be?

It then gets worse – the pool's closed . Despite being advertised as open, it wasn't...

I find solace by flitting between the LM Cafe (Cakes, tea and Smirnoff Ice), and a “Chanpagne reception” (nuts and champagne ) for a couple of hours, which chills me out nicely

8.30pm: Tango Jive class. I'm beginning to wonder if all that champers was a good idea now, but I turn up to David and Marie-Claire's class. I honestly didn't have very high expectations of this class, but I have to say they were well-exceeded; it was very useful. David's a good teacher, plus he put in a reasonable amount of technique in the class. There was a “step and point” version of an ocho, plus an interesting tip about how you can “draw” ochos with your hands to make them look better – I'll play around with both of these ideas.

And I got to tango with Marie-Claire afterwards, which was nice

Also, the post-class music played was superb – I barely managed to drag myself away to...
    9:30 – 11:00pm: Dance Den – Tango for 90 minutes. Fantastic fun, Ian (sugarfoot) played a lot of excellent tracks, nice and eclectic selection. Lots of great dancers there too, including the lovely Mandy of course.

11:30pm: My first MJ dance of the weekend

11:30 – 2:30am: Spent time flitting from room to room, but mostly in the Latin Room, which had a larger and better floor sorted out ( )

I also like the cake on display ( ) and the clothes store - shame they don't have a bra in my size, but never mind...

I tried to do the main room, really I did – but it was too big, too noisy, too thump-thumpy. Too scary.

2:30am: Spent 5 minutes cursing the lack of electricity in my chalet, then going and buying another leccy card, before realising that the lights simply take a few seconds to turn on . It's definitely time for bed...

Saturday 2nd June

11am: Wake up, urgh.... So much for the 10am Pilates Class. Head off to pool. Fortunately it's open. Why do they have a crocodile at the bottom of the pool? It's one of those great mysteries I guess...

Lunch: Pootle around for a couple of hours, then lunch - walk around the lake next to the site, you've got to get out of the site at least once every day or you'll go mad. Mwa ha ha.

3pm-ish: A couple of hours dancing in the Blues room in the afternoon. Hmmm, that's unusual, I never thought of AC/DC as Blues music before...

I managed to miss the UK Smooth class by misreading "14.30" as "4.30", and yes I did feel pretty silly. I also for some reason assumed that the Waltz class was today at 8pm, whereas it's really on Sunday at 7pm. Doing well so far on the planning front, David

Evening: One wonderful episode of Doctor Who later, it's time for dinner - casa Italia in Southport town centre (Lord Street - as always, Southport has a lot of lovely places to eat out if you look. And as I don't have a deathwish yet I don't want to eat the food in the Queen Vic. OK, I'm a Londoner but I'm not stupid.

9pm: I suddenly develop a severe caswe of the sniffles - I blame the faffing around last night for that. Hell, fantastic timing :frown: It's probably manflu or something

I just about manage most of the milonga, but I'm suffering.

1:30am: Nuts to this for a game of soldiers - I'm off to bed. Say goodbye to Wittybird, who's sitting at a bench outside the Blues Room.

Sunday 3rd June:
    10am: out and about, wander outside to the foyer, and say hello to Wittybird, who's still sitting at the same bench outside the Blues Room.

11am: emergency visit to SOuthport to stock up on a number of cold-fighting drugs, and yet another meal at the Slug and Lettuce.

1pm (still at Southport): Oops, Ian and Mandy's AT class is on now...

1:30pm: poke head through door, goggle at the hundreds of people learning AT, then run away

Afternoon: dancing in the Blues room. The Sack the DJ concept is looking better and better at the moment...

6pm: Nope, there's no way I'm going to get through all that food tonight, yet again I've bought too much.

10pm: I finally spent some time in the main room, mainly because the Latin Room was quiet - although to Toby for playing Assassin's Tango

11pm - midnight: The Last Milonga at Southport It'd be nice if the Dance Den were a bit more equipped (maybe with a bar?) and ideally if there were something connecting it to the main complex, so you didn't need to worry about wear and tear on dance shoes. A full four-room complex, ongoing, would be mind-blowingly good.

Midnight: Strange man with a beard starts taking photos for some reason

Still afflicted with terminal manflu-itis, I call it a night.

Monday 4th June:

The Traffic Gods smile on us - up until they decide to do something else on us by closing the M40 for 4 junctions

Suffer the post-weekender blues early, sitting on the A40...

My first ever Southport - Lory said I must post a detailed review so who am I to disobey the forum bomb-shell? Here goes then:

The good

- the weather was better than forecast , Ok it was a bit humid and it did rain a little on Sunday but not enough to spoil the party.
    - the organisation. Jonah and Wes did a great job here, nearly everything was as it should be. I managed to thank Jonah (I think) personally as he happened to be in the reception just as I was handing in my keys.
    - flukely convenient parking. I arrived and parked in the first available space and when I finally got found my way to my chalet after registering found that my car was about as close to my chalet as you could get. Took it as a good omen.
    - My chalet itself was fine. Nice to be up on the first floor. Nothing missing or broken and pretty clean. The carpet looked almost new.
    - The music. Plenty of variety in the blues room where I spent 90% of my time. Some of it was pretty challenging to dance to but that added to the experience. All in all the DJ's delivered in spades. Well done guys (and ZW).
    - The blues room. Loved dancing in the almost open air. Made it a very comfortable place to dance temperature wise. The canopy / tent thing was great and kept Sunday's rain off. Atmosphere in here was special. Got a bit crowded a peak times but not as bad as I had expected. During the day and early evening it was quite often almost deserted.
    - Quality of the dancers superb. Great to watch some really talented people strut their stuff. Felt rather inadequate myself at times but hung in there and generally found the whole experience inspirational. Big thank-you to everyone I danced with.
    - The floors. I found them to be excellent throughout. The temporary flooring was just great. If flooring has been an issue before at Southport (which I seem to recall it may have been) then those problems seem to have been solved.
    - meeting lots of friendly forumites at the forum Bar-B-Q
    - DT's Pimms
    - Mr and Mrs Underparr's hand made astronaut costumes. The black umbrellas attached to their helmets with twinkly lights to represent space were an inspired touch
    - The person who came to the fancy dress night dressed as a Unicorn
    - Classes. The ones I saw all or part of were all very good. Only manged to do about four but there were others I was sorry to miss.
    - LM's Cafe. Just great. Fantastic cakes. Baked Blueberry cheesecake especially scrumptious.
    - the M6 toll road. Well worth £4 to travel on a motorway with 50% less traffic than the M6 and 90% fewer lorries.
    - Southport itself, the town that is. Arrived so early that had time for a look around. Found a tea room where waitresses in starched pinafores serve tea in silver tea-pots. Nice scones too. I am a sucker for that sort of thing.
    - someone asking "Are you a taxi dancer?"
    - School mistress Fletch nearly catching me not wearing my uniform. You looked as though you sure knew how to wield that cane
    - Gotta mention Capt. Fantastic and Rebecca's amazing spring loaded stilt walkers and fire juggling.

The bad

- seemingly unnecessarily long queue and wait to register (about half an hour). This was the one time for me when the organisation did not run as smoothly as it might have done. Needed someone to organise the queues better and it seemed to take a long time to find some of the envelopes. Not sure why. Hopefully this is one area where things might be improved in future.
    - Temperature in the main room. I could not stand it in there for more than about three tracks.
    - nearly all the rooms running out of water at one point around early afternoon.
    - bar service very slow at busy times.
    - unable to see most of the cabaret due to general crush and people standing on chairs. The top of Jordan and Tatiiana's heads looked good and I saw the odd glimpse of Joseph's legs when he somersaulted. Will have to wait for the DVD.

The ugly

- cant really think of anything.... no, wait a minute what about me trying to dance to "Heart attack and vine".

The rest

- why is it just not possible to discuss sausages in an innuendo free manner?
    - I owe MM a dance. Sorry I missed you - will you be at Breeze?

So that's about it. Bound to have missed stuff. Thanks again to everyone I danced with. Lost Leader over and out. (Marks out of 10 Lory?)

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Leader View Post
    Temperature in the main room. I could not stand it in there for more than about three tracks.
    [Rant]Those blue things that sit on the floor making a loud whooshing noise are, I believe, fans to blow air horizontally across the dance floor, and are not (as some others seem to think) personal cooling devices.

So when various numpties come along, aim them upwards at their sweaty tops, and then walk away leaving the fans aimed pointlessly upwards, the overall effect is a very well ventilated ceiling, and lots of people getting sweatier on the dance floor.[/Rant]
    Love dance, will travel

Lovely to meen you TP...I look forward to dancing with you again soon. .
    Lovely to meet you too and Gav, Trouble and not forgetting DTS (XXX XXX)......without doubt Sunday afternoon brings out the best in me and I had a great time.

I am exhausted from yet another storming SP. Great to have the opportunity to catch up with my "once-a-year" partners......none of you ever disappoint thanks to each and every one...... Sunday morning and afternoon make my Southport experience complete and this year was extra special for this time I had the wow dance from a new discovery.........The Librarian you are amazing thanks for the Southport memory

I also LOVED the final set in the Ballroom on Sunday morning....technical problems giving an opportunity to rest rather than retire for the night......the night finishing off perfectly with some incredible toons from the mighty DD...cheers mate.

My fourth SP experience and maybe you are right WB...........it might be time to step up to twice-a-year..............see ya in September ( hopefully) XX

MIGHT BE ABLE TO SUM IT UP MORE AFTER SOME SLEEP............
    Last edited by Tiger Pants; 4th-June-2007 at 06:38 PM. Reason: cause I'm knackered

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Was also very surprised at how many people had the stamina, interest and brain cl left to come along to the Double Trouble class at 7.00 on Sunday. I was expecting around 15 people. but great to see everyone having fun and coping with all the moves.

Great fun.
    Your class was brilliant, my first try at leading double trouble and when we mastered the final multi pretzel move we three jumped for joy - i think you heard us!

Well had a great weekend which I knew I would! Wasn't expecting the weather to be that good so it was a bonus although a wee bit steamy on the dance floor.

J & T were superb to watch, full of WOW factor moves.

My absolute favourite class purely for the fun factor was Joseph and Sadie's hustle - what lovely, lovely people. The whole class seemed to be having so much fun and Joseph's charismatic teaching was bang on! I hope they come back - for me they were the best!

Fancy dress was great too - well done Trouble for 'having the balls' (literally to wear that outfit!!) Fletch, you looked fab too and really got into the part - Clair and I were rooting for you! Was the first time, I've bothered with fancy dress but it was a real laugh and I'll definitely do it again.

Chalet was not great - arrived to find a flooded bathroom which the plumber mopped up with toilet roll ....nice....and then left putty/chewing gum all over the place.............yuk!

Oh my god...I so love the rhumba! Fab - must do more.

Dean's dance clothes were fab - best store I've seen for that kind of gear and he was more than helpful Knocks spots of other dance gear I've seen.

Disappointed with the dance shoes on sale - my friend and I were desperate to get some new ones but they had nothing in our sizes. Didn't seem a great variety on offer at all - shame, as they must have missed out on sales and didn't make the most of a captive audience.
    Had to make do with the ones I had with me despite them giving me several painful water blisters but thanks to Ed for the Compeed hiking plaster things - amazing! Everyone stock up for your next weekender - they work a treat!

Oh and had a lovely dance in the Latin Quarter - think with Blueshoes?? Lovely lead Shame the Latin Quarter closes early though.......doesn't seem fair!

All in all, a great weekender! Bring on the next..............

WOW!!! what a weekend. I had such a fantastic time. I met some very nice people, I thought the music in the blues room was great and i danced with some excellent dancers, it was a bit sad to go home really but i dont think my body could take any more, booked again for september and cant wait, bring it on !!!

Thread Information