Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New here

Smile New here

Hi all, I just joined this site tonight. I have been wanting to join ceroc dancing classes for over a year now, but haven't had the guts as I've never danced before. I really really want to learn though. I am from the Edinburgh area. Just wanted to know if it really matters that I've never danced before? Any advice on what to wear? Just basically any advice at all would be appreciated? Really want to learn. My favourite film is dirty dancing

LuLu xx

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: New here

No it does not matter that you haven't danced, you'd find Ceroc too easy if you had Advice? Turn up to the class wearing normal clothes and shoes that won't stick to the floor; and have a good time.

Theres a film called Dirty Dancing ? whats that about then ?

Hi Lulu,

Firstly, welcome to the forum - you've picked the weekend when nearly everyone is away at Southport so there's not many home to say Hi

Ceroc is great fun and you'll get to meet loads of new people. I would advise wearing something comfortable for your first class and shoes that you can turn easily in (not trainers as they will grip the floor).

The structure of the class means that you don't need to arrive with a partner because you will get to dance with everyone in the class by being moved around very 5 minutes or so. It certainly doesn't matter that you haven't dance before either.

I would certainly read the FAQ of the forum (if you haven't already) which will tell you quite a bit about the forum and what things are expected.

Hope you enjoy for your first class,

Icey x

Quote Originally Posted by LuLu Baby View Post
    .. I have been wanting to joi.n ceroc dancing classes for over a year now, but haven't had the guts as I've never danced before...
    I suspect that you might regret that time spent dithering. Ceroc is so successful because it is designed for those who are new to partner dancing. There may be some first week culture shock or it may be at first dance. It hope that you will find that it is such a rewarding hobby in so many ways just as all of us on this forum have done. Enjoy.

Hey, thanks for the replies

I will really need to give it a try, have wanted to for so long, so I will!

Had to laugh as I picked the weekend to join this site when most are in Southport ha ha!

I am definintely going to go and give it a shot. So will let you all know how it goes

Thanks for all the advice, and I think I've spent way too long thinking about going, and not actually doing it. Really looking forward to going now.

LuLu xx

Welcome
    If you like music and have been known to dance about your livingroom/bedroom on the odd occasion, then I'm sure you will love it.

...but it does become slightly addictive... as does this forum... Have a quick look through some of the threads in the beginner section and you will see some other people have asked exactly the same question (and what to expect, how they got on, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Welcome
    If you like music and have been known to dance about your livingroom/bedroom on the odd occasion
    Well..... Ha ha! Yeah thats me! Not sure about the odd occassion though, more like regularly! Yeah I'm sure I will love it

Thanks I will look through some of the threads etc. Thanks for the reply

LuLu xx

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Welcome
    ...but it does become slightly addictive... as does this forum...
    Slightly addictive??? Do I detect some slight understatement, Gadget ?
    Otherwise, spot on!
    I am a newbie too, and have received plenty of good advice and encouragement here. My only advice is don't wear anything dangly (eg. bangles, and large hoop or drop earrings are a bad idea), and prepare to have a great evening.
    Welcome!!!

Well..... Ha ha! Yeah thats me! Not sure about the odd occassion though, more like regularly! Yeah I'm sure I will love it

Thanks I will look through some of the threads etc. Thanks for the reply

LuLu xx
    Hi Lulu

I'm a regular at Edinburgh (at least until end of this month anyway!!). You may see me sneak in with my fold up bike in the middle of the beginners class at the start, and fold it up in the corner, before going for a quick drink from the bar.

Which night are you planning on going? Tues or Thurs?

Ian

Welcome - sorry to add this late on, but I just wanted to say welcome . Remember that the Dear Green Place has parties and classes too, drop in and meet us sometime. You would be very welcome

Whitetiger

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Hey Lulu Baby... welcome to the madness...

I've been dancing about a year now (one class a week - but I'd love it to be more!) and I love it.... great way to get some exercise!!

Mezzo

Thanks everyone for replying

Ian - I will be going on Thursday, going to maybe drag my mum along with me! What nights do you go? I will look out for you if you are going on Thursday.

Whitetiger - I'm not sure where the dear green place is, but will maybe at some point see you if I go there

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated, really looking forward to going now!

LuLu xx

purplehyacinth

The dear green place is just the other end of the railway line (otherwise known as Glasgow).

Hi Lulu,

Just thought I'd join the other voices saying "welcome".

My advice (tho' I'm sure this is repeating what has already been said on this thread) is to go along and give it a try at Marco's. You won't know whether or not you love it or hate it until you've been. And don't dither too long

Re Clothes - go for whatever is comfortable to dance in. Lots of people go for the t-shirt and jeans/comfortably-danceable trousers option. Others go for skirts. (My own preference is to dance in a skirt, but that's just personal taste). If you opt for a skirt, again make sure it is wide enough that you can move freely and dance comfortably in it. Also, I would recommend that you "swirl-check" it. Ceroc can involve the lady being twirled/spun (sometimes a lot, depending on the leader with whom you are dancing ), so it is wise to check skirts in advance to make sure that they don't flare/swirl up to a level higher than you are comfortable with.

Shoes - anything comfy that you can spin in without it gripping the floor too much. If you have done dancing before, things like unblocked ballets, jazzies or character (or ballroom, come to that) shoes are fine. But they don't have to be "proper" dance shoes, so long as they are comfy and you can spin in them etc etc etc.

Afraid I'm not going to be at Marco's this week (I do sometimes dance in Edinburgh). Hope you enjoy it whenever you do go, and - to steal a line from a certain film - hope you have "the time of your life"

Let us know how you get on.

Thanks everyone for replying

Whitetiger - I'm not sure where the dear green place is, but will maybe at some point see you if I go there
    Sorry for being obscure - Glasgow just means the Dear Green Place - a pretty fair knickname considering the amount of rain we get if you stay on the forum for long then you will probably get used to my daft humour, and off the wall obscure knowledge

Cheers

Whitetiger

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger1518 View Post
    Sorry for being obscure - Glasgow just means the Dear Green Place - a pretty fair knickname considering the amount of rain we get if you stay on the forum for long then you will probably get used to my daft humour, and off the wall obscure knowledge
    LOL! Ok I feel really daft now! I thought the dear green place was an actual place in Glasgow! I didn't think you just meant Glasgow itself! LOL! Ok that has really cheered me up today!

purpleheather - yes I will go along and give it a try, going to go on Thursday at Marco's, see how I get on I will maybe see you at some point if you dance at Marco's sometimes, and thanks for all the advice, much appreciated

I will let you all know how it goes!

LuLu xx

How did Thursday go? Did you make it?

I looked out for someone new with their mum, without much luck!!

IAn

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    How did Thursday go? Did you make it?

I looked out for someone new with their mum, without much luck!!

IAn
    Hi Ian,

Sorry, I didn't make it on Thursday. I hurt my hand on Wednesday, thought I had dislocated my knuckles or something, was very painful.

It still hurts, can't straighten it out or clench my fist. If it is better by Tuesday then I will go then. I was really looking forward to it aswell.

I would have let you know that I wasn't going, but my hand was really sore so wasn't on the computer. Sorry. Are you going on Tuesday?

LuLu xx

Hope it heals soon.

Hi all,

I went to my first ceroc class last night! I wasn't able to take part last night as my hand is still not 100%, but my mum took part. She loved it. It was a really good night, and I wish I had been taking part! I actually really want to go back tomorrow night and maybe try it. I suppose if my hand gets sore I can sit out! It was so busy, I didn't imagine it being so busy!

It looks really hard, but I suppose if I am actually doing it and taking part I will get used to it.

Really impressed with everyone dancing though! Can't wait to go again!

LuLu xx

Welcome to the addiction - enjoy your new life (the old one vanishes after a while )

Whitetiger

Thread Information