Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Madeleine

Re: Madeleine

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    Agreed. My complaint is against the media who, I believe, would not be as interested in the story given a different situation e.g. a single mum. In fact newspapers have not been averse to reporting tragedies in peoples lifes in a harsh inhumane way if it suited them.

I dont see this thread as nasty, I'm sure everyone has every sympathy with the family, but they did leave their child with no adult supervision. We can sympathise with the situation whilst mentioning our dissaproval of what they did not do to prevent it : get a baby sitter!

Harsh I know, but where best to talk about this if not on a forum ? These are thoughts many of us will have.

And maybe by highlighting the fact that it was the children being left alone that allowed this incident to take place (not caused it - clearly this was the criminal intent), it might make other parents think twice about doing the same thing, and thus preventing something similar happening again - be it a kidnapping or an accident (fire, drowning, poisoning, etc.) to some other children.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post

And maybe by highlighting the fact that it was the children being left alone that allowed this incident to take place (not caused it - clearly this was the criminal intent), it might make other parents think twice about doing the same thing, and thus preventing something similar happening again - be it a kidnapping or an accident (fire, drowning, poisoning, etc.) to some other children.
    Something good has come of this, well done Twirly for pointing it out.

IMHO supervising your children is a balance between the needs of the child and having a life you can call your own. Different people place the fulcrum in different places. When our children were very young I remember leaving them sleeping in our locked hotel room while we went down one floor for breakfast. One of our little girls never slept much and we were glad to take the opportunity to have a meal where we could talk. We'd left the baby alarm on and taken the battery powered receiver with us so we knew if they woke up. You will not believe how quickly I rushed to the room when I heard the door open and somebody go in! When I got there it has housekeeping, ignoring the "Do Not Disturb" sign and checking if the room had been vacated. In the light of the current situation I wonder if I'd do the same again.

We must not lose sight of the fact that what has happened is a crime committed by a criminal. Some situations make it easier for criminals to go about their work. However, criminals are often determined and resourceful. If they really want to do something to you they will find a way no matter how vigilant you are - because the normal rules do not apply!

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: Madeline

I saw the parents got a hard time from the German media recently.

I suspect there are two factors at work here:

Firstly, there's a natural tendency for people to try to find fault with victims of crime, as a mechanism to pretend that "bad things only happen to bad people". In other words, not wanting to think it can happen to us, by blaming the victims.

Secondly, now, people are bored with the story to some extent, so they resent being told about it when there's no progress. We want instant gratification with our news, so if the story then turns into an examination of "What the parents should be doing", that's a new angle which may sell a few more papers.

Neither of these factors are nice, they're an indictment of society's attitudes towards crime and news in general, but I think that's what's driving the news agenda at the moment.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    We must not lose sight of the fact that what has happened is a crime committed by a criminal. Some situations make it easier for criminals to go about their work. However, criminals are often determined and resourceful. If they really want to do something to you they will find a way no matter how vigilant you are - because the normal rules do not apply!
    Yes, but most people ARE vigilante. I would do what you did and leave them in a locked room if the baby monitor was in range, I would certainly not be completely out of contact in another street entirely.

I agree it is quite negative to criticise when Madeline is still missing, but now the initial shock of the story has worn off its understandable that people will discuss the fact that the parents made it far too easy for the criminal - the normal reaction at this point would be to say "there's was nothing you could have done" to ease the guilt of the other person , but can we in this case?. Everyone has invested in the story and put themselves in the place of the parents - that's why we are seeing this criticism - it's directed at ourselves.

Well, well, well....! The parents are now officially suspects.

Are the authorities clutching at straws or could they really have murdered their own daughter?

I don't know what to think. It's such a terrible world we live in, I suppose anything is possible.

Blog Entries

It doesn't even bare thinking about does it. The parents doing it. The first possibility of abduction was bad enough but this would be even worse. I hope it wasn't them, they will be unlikely to see the year out alive. Somebody will get to them. Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    It doesn't even bare thinking about does it. The parents doing it. The first possibility of abduction was bad enough but this would be even worse. I hope it wasn't them, they will be unlikely to see the year out alive. Somebody will get to them. Awful.
    Yes but after the court case wouldn’t you go see the film ?

It would keep this thread going for a year

What about truth serum being used wouldn’t the parents want to do that ? Not that would happen its not a Arnie movie

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Well, well, well....! The parents are now officially suspects.

Are the authorities clutching at straws or could they really have murdered their own daughter?

I don't know what to think. It's such a terrible world we live in, I suppose anything is possible.
    Is that confirmed?
    Radio 2 just said that they expect Portuguese authorities to name the mum as a suspect.
    I think in cases of parents finding children dead or missing, there always comes a point when the parents become suspects. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, yet.

Formerly known as DavidJames David Bailey's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    It doesn't even bare thinking about does it.
    I imagine that they always were suspected by the police - simply because close relatives / friends are usually the first ones to be suspected in these things. And that's because it's not usually a mystery stranger / internet stalker / whatever who commits these crimes, it's usually friends or family, simply because they have access.

So that's probably where all those Portugese media stories came from - the police have clearly suspected them for a while.

But, given that the Portugese police have already marked one man as suspect for the crime of looking a bit shifty, I've no faith that they know what they're doing,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DavidJames View Post
    But, given that the Portugese police have already marked one man as suspect for the crime of looking a bit shifty, I've no faith that they know what they're doing,
    Let's face it, if the British police adopted the same tactics, you'd have been locked up long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Is that confirmed?
    Yes.

I'm watching Pip and Ruth (I know...sad innit) and they have had Madeline's aunt on the phone doing her nut because she is now officially a suspect.

Her opinion is that the Portuguese police do not have a clue what they are doing and that it is inconceivable that the McCanns would murder or seriously injure their own child and then go for tapas.

A bit more about this from this morning's Times (am clearly spending far too much time reading this paper - and I used to be a Guardian reader too!) suggests that it's not quite as clear cut as her simply being a suspect:

The status of suspect or arguida confers certain legal protections under Portuguese law, including the right to remain silent in interviews and to have a lawyer present. It is not uncommon for people caught up in criminal investigations in Portugal to declare themselves arguidos in order to receive this protection.

Asked about the implications of arguido status yesterday, their spokeswoman said: "In order to ask certain difficult questions in any case, Portuguese police have a legal responsibility to declare people arguidos."
    Maybe she did, maybe she didn't, but it's good to remember that the legal system over there is very different. The articles I've read this week talk about the lack of information which is standard in such cases in Portugal - and which is probably why there has been lurid speculation in the press here. They feel they've got to print something...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    A bit more about this from this morning's Times (am clearly spending far too much time reading this paper - and I used to be a Guardian reader too!) suggests that it's not quite as clear cut as her simply being a suspect:
    Jeremy Vine was just saying that maybe we're mis-interpreting the Portuguese word and it's not actually the same as "suspect".

Blog Entries

didn't i read somewhere they had found DNA evidence. It all appears to have happened or took a step up since this was found.?

BBC news reports that they have found Maddie's blood in the McCans hirecar that they rented 25 days after her dissapearance

I feel sick to my stomack

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    BBC news reports that they have found Maddie's blood in the McCans hirecar that they rented 25 days after her dissapearance

Yes, I just heard that on the Jeremy Vine Show. It does all sound very damning.

That would suggest that the Mccanns disposed of her body in a hire car almost a month after she went missing, and under the glare of the worlds media.

Highly unlikely, but you can't argue with DNA evidence.

After reading that the family had hired a press relations guy whose job it was to keep this girl on the front page of newspapers, I just dont believe anything any more.

Whats worse is that I am sick and tired of hearing about it. I just wonder what the family of other missing children must be thinking with all this press about 1 missing girl.

Blog Entries

and yet close family are still saying it's unthinkable that such loving parents, people who were utterly distraught, could possibly do such a thing.

Is it possible there was a terrible accident and they got scared and panicked because it happened while they were out getting pissed and tried to cover it all up?

They're pretty well educated people so it seems unlikely, but I guess it's another possibility.

Whatever happens, if they do have any involvement in it, there will be millions of angry people who were suckered in and gave their love, time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post

Is this on the radio or TV? Can't see anything on the BBC or CNN websites right now apart from the being made suspect announcements.

It was on BBC News 24

Also widely reported in the Danish on-line newspapers as on the german ones I normally read.

Here it's reported on the daily mail website

Madeleine's 'blood found in car parents hired 25 days AFTER she vanished' | the Daily Mail

Thread Information