Thread: What marketing works in MJ?

Commercial Operator

What marketing works in MJ?

Based on a few questions asked in another thread, I was wondering what people had found attracts new beginners to classes.

Where are the successful ads placed?
    What do they say?
    Where do you busk?
    What do you do on busks?
    How do you promote word of mouth?
    etc?
    etc?

I've been in the game for a few years now and have no magic formula. I've tried many things. Sometimes they work really well, and when you repeat the promotion it has no effect at all

I was wondering if, out there in the forum, there was knowledge of something I'm missing?

Re: What marketing works in MJ?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Based on a few questions asked in another thread, I was wondering what people had found attracts new beginners to classes.

Where are the successful ads placed?
    What do they say?
    Where do you busk?
    What do you do on busks?
    How do you promote word of mouth?
    etc?
    etc?

I've been in the game for a few years now and have no magic formula. I've tried many things. Sometimes they work really well, and when you repeat the promotion it has no effect at all

I was wondering if, out there in the forum, there was knowledge of something I'm missing?
    Well if anyone asked me for the formula for Success I would point them in your direction, you transformed the Shoreham club, have a very popular Soul Night & had 350 dancers (max capacity) at your Brighton dance last week
    LL

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard View Post
    Well if anyone asked me for the formula for Success I would point them in your direction, you transformed the Shoreham club, have a very popular Soul Night & had 350 dancers (max capacity) at your Brighton dance last week
    LL

What about a quick survey of how forum folks got into it - or since we aren't supposed to be representative would that not be of any use? Did any marketing attract us?

I got brought along by an acquaintance - at my request when I found out he did Ceroc and he'd tried some out on me at a party. I've also talked a few others into it - so for me, word of mouth seems the best way. So the "bring a friend" and get a free night seems a good idea. So far I've "recruited" 5 new dancers, plus one who is getting into it but not quite hooked as yet and I'm keeping one existing dancer at it And for gender balance - four of those seven are men. Not that I've ever got any thanks from Ceroc

Here in the US they do a couple of things that seem less popular in the UK:

100% free beginner lessons. Do the lesson and leave before the freestyle, and you pay nothing.
    Dances held on university/school sites and promoted via a university/school society/club, often with reduced entrance for students.
    Dances held in hotels with free entrance+lessons for all hotel guests (everyone else pays a cover to get in).

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Here in the US they do a couple of things that seem less popular in the UK:

100% free beginner lessons. Do the lesson and leave before the freestyle, and you pay nothing.
    Dances held on university/school sites and promoted via a university/school society/club, often with reduced entrance for students.
    Dances held in hotels with free entrance+lessons for all hotel guests (everyone else pays a cover to get in).
    In my view these are 'sales' techniques, rather than marketing, if giving something away can be called sales.

Marketing is about motivation. There is strong demotivation towards men dancing, it is seen as a girly thing. Demotivators for women are that dancing it is often seen as flaunting yourself in order to attract men. The fact that dancing can be enjoyable just for itself is something that does not apply to everybody and is only really believed once discovered for oneself.

Marketing MJ as a pulling resource may have a very limited success. We had a guy used to come in, look around, then leave saying "No totty in tonight." and move on to another venue. It only takes one visit to see that there is no-one there you want to chase, and only two or three to establish that you are not going to be successful, or succeed. In either case a fourth visit is unlikely. The 'might meet someone' is a good secondary motivator, but not one likely to go down well with existing partners.

Marketing MJ as a keep fit device, and aid to slimming are good motivators for long term attendance, and one that can be used as justifications.

My guess is that one way to get people in is to play to their fear of being isolated on social occasions. Can't dance at a wedding? Look like a **** at the office party? Come along for three weeks and we will teach you enough to dance all night, to almost any party music. You will make new friends along the way. The images will show that these 'new friends' are desirable and willing to dance with people like the average Joe and Jane.

For men use the 'its not for you' ploy. Give your partner a treat, take her to a dance class. Back it with the keep yourself fit and supple and improve your stamina and coordination messages.

that is the sort of marketing intellectual line I would pursue, backed with the emotional ones of images people having a wonderful time.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Lounge Lizard View Post
    LL
    Thank you for the compliment

I never really enjoy the success. Each week I feel like I need to do more and am scared that the bubble will burst

We did have a successful ball. It was a one-off and will be difficult to repeat - and even more difficult to improve upon.

This is the reason I've asked the question. We have successful nights, and we have quiet nights. What do we need to do to attract people to our quiet nights? And what do we need to do to attract people to our busy nights?*

* we also have one class that is so busy we'd rather not get new people - but we know that failing to recruit new dancers is the route to failure

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    In my view these are 'sales' techniques, rather than marketing, if giving something away can be called sales.

Marketing is about motivation. There is strong demotivation towards men dancing, it is seen as a girly thing. Demotivators for women are that dancing it is often seen as flaunting yourself in order to attract men. The fact that dancing can be enjoyable just for itself is something that does not apply to everybody and is only really believed once discovered for oneself.

Marketing MJ as a pulling resource may have a very limited success. We had a guy used to come in, look around, then leave saying "No totty in tonight." and move on to another venue. It only takes one visit to see that there is no-one there you want to chase, and only two or three to establish that you are not going to be successful, or succeed. In either case a fourth visit is unlikely. The 'might meet someone' is a good secondary motivator, but not one likely to go down well with existing partners.

Marketing MJ as a keep fit device, and aid to slimming are good motivators for long term attendance, and one that can be used as justifications.

My guess is that one way to get people in is to play to their fear of being isolated on social occasions. Can't dance at a wedding? Look like a **** at the office party? Come along for three weeks and we will teach you enough to dance all night, to almost any party music. You will make new friends along the way. The images will show that these 'new friends' are desirable and willing to dance with people like the average Joe and Jane.

For men use the 'its not for you' ploy. Give your partner a treat, take her to a dance class. Back it with the keep yourself fit and supple and improve your stamina and coordination messages.

that is the sort of marketing intellectual line I would pursue, backed with the emotional ones of images people having a wonderful time.
    Big DJ is a great guy, but he's just guessing. What I'd love to hear is what has actually worked. What promise did you find attractive? What promotional medium worked? etc? etc?

Groovemeister

Andy, I don't know if you have had experience of other types of events where you are advertising a niche product.

I have to some degree over the years with soul and house music and it is hard to come up with a magic formula that works consistently. The only way I have found in the past is to keep going, keep the events regular make it a no brainer for people to come along, look at what else is on, make sure you get everyones email address or mobile number so you can keep them informed and send out a text on the day before etc, etc.

Again getting people in the door in the first place is hard, posters and flyer's work to some extent, fast food places and taxi offices I think are the best where people are waiting around. For maximum coverage you really have to go for the local free paper this can be expensive though and again you need to keep it going with a fairly substantial advert. You can get deals on these sort of things you have to be imaginative. I just got a half page advert for job recruitment 1/2 price by working with another company for example.

All the get in early half price deals, free for the first time etc. work for a time but won't keep people coming back.

The other thing I think about when I go to MJ events is that there seems to be very little put into the production. People want to feel they get value for money. For someone who wants to learn to dance £7-8 is good value but for someone who just wants a night out a disco with a few cheesy lights in a school hall might well you know.

I have had places packed by doing this but I have also had a handfull of people turn up. People have complicated lives these day's and that has a bigger effect than you could ever overcome. As long as your costs aren't to high then you just have to battle on in my experience

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Groovemeister View Post
    As long as your costs aren't to high then you just have to battle on in my experience
    This is pretty much my experience so far.

I've found the free offers attract people who like free stuff. In the main they come until they have to start paying. It's a good way to fill the class with beginners - which is a great way of putting off the experienced dancers.

IMHO the most important thing is getting your product right and getting the first batch of dancers in through the door. After that it's almost all word of mouth. In this thread I suppose I'm asking "how have other people got in that first batch of dancers?"

Groovemeister

One thing I have to ask though and I know this is probably more of an understanding/gentelmens agreement than anything else.

Your biggest market is the dancers that are already out there, like wise with any venture you are better of getting the people in who are already hooked.

If these people are going to other events why not (as most nightclubs do) have people standing outside the other events with flyers. I personnally have been out on the streets, outside clubs handing out flyers at 3am.

Also the amount of times I hear people or I get asked whats on and there is never any advertising material to point people at. If the dates are different from the competition then why not?

Everyone goes on about the domenance of Ceroc surely if you feel that way you should attack their market.

Thread Information