Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Marketing Idea ?

Commercial Operator

Re: New Marketing Idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake View Post
    I still wish I could get my spare arm looking half as good though
    This "looking good" thing is a tender trap. We all want to dance like Viktor. So we go to his workshops and do what he does. Even if we can copy what he does exactly, we won't look like Viktor

Viktor is a great dancer as well as having the looks. But some people have the looks but are average dancers - their attractiveness carries the day. So we have good looking people being told they are brilliant dancers. Before you know it they're setting up workshops and telling other people they can look like them when they dance. They can't

What you need is a short, balding, slightly overweight, ageing dance teacher. If he can look good when he dances it must be because he can dance - go to his workshops

Videos as marketing tools

In principle they sound like a fairly good idea, at least for the student rather than the teacher. I have always found that videos are great as aids to memory but fairly poor as a primary tool for learning because it is way too easy to miss (visually) the small but important details that the teacher will cover in the lesson.

When I go to weekenders I am often in the situation of thinking, from the description of the class, that I would like to attend but that it conflicts with another class that I also want to attend. I turn up at the class I am most interested in and watch the demo at the beginning of the class and then make a decision as to whether I will stay or go to the alternative class. An online video of the content of a workshop would allow me to make a more informed decision about whether I want to spend time and resources travelling to the workshop. The overall effect of these online videos MAY be to put off people from attending and thereby decrease numbers of people attending.

In the particular case of the video used on this thread I feel I must give them the benefit of the doubt and say that I have seen some video encoders that have produced files where the sound and motion were out of sync. As for the other faults in their dancing I would suspect that if you knew enough to be able to spot these you probably know enough to not find anything of value in the lesson

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    Viktor is a great dancer as well as having the looks. But some people have the looks but are average dancers - their attractiveness carries the day. So we have good looking people being told they are brilliant dancers.
    Despite my natural tendency to cynicism, I don't buy this. Yes, there are a few people who are that shallow, but I wouldn't pin that label on the majority.

What you need is a short, balding, slightly overweight, ageing dance teacher.
    Hey - maybe I should apply! (two out of four ain't bad )

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Despite my natural tendency to cynicism, I don't buy this. Yes, there are a few people who are that shallow, but I wouldn't pin that label on the majority.
    Welcome to the real world. Think about dance competitions, they're part dance, part fashion, part beauty contest. Put two equal dancers in a competition, dress one couple in a sexy way and make them up to look lovely, put the others in no make-up and boiler suits and see who wins.

In the world of dance we compete for the attention of our students. Us tall, dark, handsome and young teachers are bound to be more popular than short, fat, balding old gits

The couple teaching on the DVD will produce a cohort of dancers who repeat their bad habits.

Which brings me back to an old topic. Where is the QC in MJ teaching?
    Wish I'd ommitted to the link now

John and Sungy are LeRoc trained/qualified. You can make of that what you will. I'n not sure about their class teaching and I think Andy's comment is unjustified without seeing that. I must admit I think their move into teaching Blues/Dirty Dancing is a bit ambitous. I think you need some significant teaching AND Blues experience before you should try teaching it. I don't know exactly what the content of the workshop is ... but the type of thing in the demo would probably take about 3 separate workshops to teach properly (IMHO). Especially with new instructors and workshops is that they tend to teach too much, teach just the moves and omit teaching the feel / balance / lead implications.

ANYWAY ... I still think the DVD and/or YouTube concept is excellent.

Welcome to the real world. Think about dance competitions, they're part dance, part fashion, part beauty contest. Put two equal dancers in a competition, dress one couple in a sexy way and make them up to look lovely, put the others in no make-up and boiler suits and see who wins.
    Another reason I liked the Strictly Swing category at the Grand Nationals. Costumes were forbidden.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Another reason I liked the Strictly Swing category at the Grand Nationals. Costumes were forbidden.

What, completely naked? Count me out, I wouldn't know where to look!

Daisy

(A Fully Dressed Little Flower)
    Last edited by Daisy Chain; 31st-May-2007 at 12:18 PM.

Commercial Operator

The ones who dance better on the night. Clearly

In the world of dance we compete for the attention of our students. Us tall, dark, handsome and young teachers are bound to be more popular than short, fat, balding old gits
    We just let our dancing, teaching & events speak for themselves. If people like what we do, they keep coming. (Yes - we advertise, but that's aimed to remain in people's consciousness & to keep them informed as to what's going on)

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    I'm not sure about their class teaching and I think Andy's comment is unjustified without seeing that.
    I didn't comment about their teaching. There was none of that on the clip. I commented only on their dancing. Anybody who publishes their dancing on the net must expect a critique of their dancing. Plus, any dancing links posted on a dancing forum are bound to be analysed for the quality of the dancing. IMHO, Gus is unjustified in criticising me - if he didn't want a critique of this couples dancing to appear on the forum he shouldn't have posted a link to it.

Thread Information