Thread: Religious images

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Religious images

We see them in the news all the time. Christ in a crip. God in a floor tile. Rolf Harris in a potato but this one I thought was great....

An 81-year-old lady from Chicago, Illinois claims the image of the Virgin Mary has appeared on the stomach of a sand turtle her grandson bought for her.
    Shirley McVane claims the Virgin Mary, one of the most revered figures in the Roman Catholic Church visited her home because their house if "holy."
    Her daughter Dolly Fordyce, 58, told the Chicago Sun, "I thought we were going crazy the first time I saw it. I looked at it and said, 'It can't be.' But then I looked again. I mean, you can't deny it."
    McVane adds, "She came to a holy house. I think she came to visit us so God knows she's happy and safe."
    But the Archdiocese of Chicago said the church tolerates such things if it brings the faithful back to God. Dianne Dunagan, spokeswoman for the Archdiocese said "If something like that causes people to think about God and pray, that's a good thing.
    "Time usually takes care of these things. If it gets to the point where people are flocking to this thing, the church will call in experts. If people forget about it, it may just fade away."
    The traditionally conservative Roman Catholic Church conducts exhaustive investigations into reported apparitions before confirming if it is genuine or not.

Re: Religious images

If she's right, god is either an idiot or an idiot.

Of course, she's not right, it's no more an image (of anything) than it is a triple decker sandwich.

You notice, however, how the church hedges its bets? It's OK if it brings people back to god, meaning "us clever dicks know that this is the sort of nonsense that amazes people whose mouths move when they read, but we can't say that or the dummies will get hacked off..."

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Of course, she's not right, it's no more an image (of anything) than it is a triple decker sandwich
    < Homer >

Hmmm.. triple Decker turtle sandwich. Hmmm Crunchy.

< /Homer >

What about this holy image?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    If she's right, god is either an idiot or an idiot.

Of course, she's not right, it's no more an image (of anything) than it is a triple decker sandwich.

You notice, however, how the church hedges its bets? It's OK if it brings people back to god, meaning "us clever dicks know that this is the sort of nonsense that amazes people whose mouths move when they read, but we can't say that or the dummies will get hacked off..."

I dunno, It's converted me.

Im going to church at lunchtime. Will find the vicar and tell him I have been converted and it's all down to a dodgy image of Virgin mary on the bottom of a turtle I saw on the internet.

I guess the world is turning into a giant religious ink-blot test...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information