Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ballroom acceptance

Re: Ballroom acceptance

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    There's usually 2 or 3 adverts in the weekly free newspaper here for ballroom/latin lessons...

I've never seen an advert for a MJ class in any newspaper or magazine.
    Maybe a ballroom advert works for someone who thinks they are able to dance but wouldn't work for MJ?

For me the joy of what we do is the fact that lots of people who do MJ never thought they could dance.

Busking seems to be an advertising method for a new venue and then maybe word of mouth?

Does anyone know of any advertising used?

Steve

Yep, it's a meaningless combination of two words that sit in embarrassment next to each other.
    Personally I think it's a pity they didn't settle on French Jive; a term which was, and still is, in limited alternative use. A hint, by association, of the sexy and sallacious; who can help entertaining subliminal thoughts of knickers and letters ?

There's usually 2 or 3 adverts in the weekly free newspaper here for ballroom/latin lessons...

I've never seen an advert for a MJ class in any newspaper or magazine.
    Our local newspaper has a weekly 'What's On' compilation on Friday of the forthcoming week's events and attractions as line ads. Both Ceroc's two venues and the two local Lindy outfits advertise their classes; so MJ has a stronger presence than any other dance form; even Salsa. Ballroom does feature, but not very strongly, and it would seem that it's taught mainly in dance schools and the occasional community hall. A more fragmented and smaller scale scene than MJ. However they do put on seasonal Ballroom Balls at the Town Hall, which is hideously expensive to hire, so they must attract the numbers to make this feasable.
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 23rd-May-2007 at 04:59 PM.

Commercial Operator

...Modern Jive...

Yep, it's a meaningless combination of two words that sit in embarrassment next to each other.
    Sorry but I can't see a problem with the term.
    To non-dancers, 'jiving' means a certain style of partnered dance( but not Ballroom) and Modern denotes either it's up to date musically or that it's similar but different to the 50's style jive.
    I know it doesn't communicate all the nuances that enthusiasts would like to
    convey to the general public but it seems broadly adequate.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    ...Modern Jive...

Sorry but I can't see a problem with the term.
    To non-dancers, 'jiving' means a certain style of partnered dance( but not Ballroom) and Modern denotes either it's up to date musically or that it's similar but different to the 50's style jive.
    I know it doesn't communicate all the nuances that enthusiasts would like to
    convey to the general public but it seems broadly adequate.
    But that's the point it's not a certain style of partnered dance and the jive means people expect us to be dancing to jive music and when they see our dance it's not what they expect at all. A good example of this was when the resident band at swish played a set of music suitable for us "Jivers". It was unsuitable.

Music has evolved just as dance has but we dont call it modern jive music or modern swing or modern rock. Music has a new name for it's evolvement, hip hop, rap or R 'n' B or simply dance etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    A good example of this was when the resident band at swish played a set of music suitable for us "Jivers". It was unsuitable.
    Music too fast for you? One of the things that distinguishes Modern Jive from older folk jives is that it is typically danced to slower music. Hence the word "Modern", I guess?

Commercial Operator

But that's the point it's not a certain style of partnered dance and the jive means people expect us to be dancing to jive music and when they see our dance it's not what they expect at all. A good example of this was when the resident band at swish played a set of music suitable for us "Jivers". It was unsuitable.
    Out of interest, what do you see as 'jive' music? (as opposed to 'modern jive' music?)
    And what kind of stuff was this band playing?

Live music can be a problem with bands who are inexperienced at playing for dancers - the long-term ones who are good at this are, alas, rare - although they're definitely out there (eg: Jive Aces, King Pleasure, Blue Harlem)

Music has evolved just as dance has but we dont call it modern jive music or modern swing or modern rock. Music has a new name for it's evolvement, hip hop, rap or R 'n' B or simply dance etc etc etc.
    In my (fevered) opinion, there's a far too much modern 'music', which has, alas, devolved, rather than evolved ... but that's a whole other debate...

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Out of interest, what do you see as 'jive' music? (as opposed to 'modern jive' music?)
    And what kind of stuff was this band playing?
    With jive music I meant music to the original jive. they played rock 'n' roll stuff. There is no modern jive music. We dance to all types of music that are suitable for our dancing as you well know.

Dance is many things to many people I guess we all want different things from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitebeard View Post
    Personally I think it's a pity they didn't settle on French Jive; a term which was, and still is, in limited alternative use. A hint, by association, of the sexy and sallacious; who can help entertaining subliminal thoughts of knickers and letters ?

Thing is, it is not "French Jive". French Jive is done in a slot, as I discovered when dancing in Paris in the clubs.
    We had to adapt to a slot or get bumped into a lot.
    It is also less "flashy"
    In fairness to the froggies, a lot of the dancers asked me and my dance partner for a dance... It was a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Thing is, it is not "French Jive". French Jive is done in a slot, as I discovered when dancing in Paris in the clubs.
    It is also less "flashy"
    In fairness to the froggies, a lot of the dancers asked me and my dance partner for a dance... It was a lot of fun.
    Hmmm, I fancy getting out more Any tips on some good Parisian Clubs.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Ceroc, LeRoc, and most other brands of Modern Jive class are taught in a slot ...only for that discipline to fly out of the window as soon as freestyle dancing starts.
    ...Funny that...!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Andy View Post
    Ceroc, LeRoc, and most other brands of Modern Jive class are taught in a slot ...only for that discipline to fly out of the window as soon as freestyle dancing starts.
    ...Funny that...!
    I cannot agree here, MJ is certainly mostly taught in "rows" but many of the moves are circular in nature or wider than a "slot" as in the way the French dance and WCS.

Thread Information