Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ballroom acceptance

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Ballroom acceptance

I was wondering if the world of Ballroom have accepted modern jive?, something I heard at the weekend would suggest that they have not.
    Apparently It's all about structure, set footwork ,teach-ability, exams and all that goes on within the whole ethos. I dunno really much about it . does anyone?. Has anyone had any experiences?

Glitter Queen

Re: Ballroom acceptance

Maybe you could explain a bit more about what you're tryng to find out, please?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Thing is with Ballroom, everyone sets out to get an Ideal and therefore they all dance the same.

With modern Jive, most people set out to be different and have their own style.

Don't know if this helps with what you are after but thought I would put it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Swinging bee View Post
    I was wondering if the world of Ballroom have accepted modern jive?
    Accepted in what way?

I'd guess MJ is no more or less accepted in the ballroom world (whatever that might be ) than WCS or Lindy Hop.

I think there would be a difference between organisers and the dancers.

Friends of mine have done a cabaret at a ballroom event.

Steve

Ah! Interesting thread.

This is a topic that I have been investigating myself.

During the last couple of years I have been asking people on the ballroom circuit what they think about MJ. I have probably asked about a dozen people, both dancers and coaches alike. I too was interested what people thought of MJ.
    More or less the response has been - "Whats that"

Those that have heard of it know it as "Ceroc" (whether thats good or bad i dont know).
    I cant exactly remember what people said word for word but I do remember that most of the comments were similar in that they were happy it got people interested in dance.

The thing is, this was the dancers and coaches I was asking. There may well be a change of heart when asking studio owners and operators or event organisers. Im guessing here but, from the feedback I have had, it seems that the coaches dont feel threatened by MJ as they are now busier than they have ever been - well a lot of them anyway.

If there is no perceived threat then I cant see why they would take offence to it.

As for a unified ballroom approach, such as from the ISTD etc, I cant really comment. You would have to contact them directly.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    I think there would be a difference between organisers and the dancers.
    You read my mind

Commercial Operator Swinging bee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
    Maybe you could explain a bit more about what you're tryng to find out, please?
    We offered to advertise a ballroom event on our website and the gentleman concerned said he did not wish for a ballroom event to be mentioned on a "non recognised dance".. website ( whatever that is ) ...perhaps this is an example of dance snobbery I am still gobsmacked..can you understand it?

We offered to advertise a ballroom event on our website and the gentleman concerned said he did not wish for a ballroom event to be mentioned on a "non recognised dance".. website ( whatever that is ) ...perhaps this is an example of dance snobbery I am still gobsmacked..can you understand it?
    It's what I expected of the dance world ordganisers and why I love MJ. It's like the football of the danceworld.

On the Sunday after the Blackpool competition we went to the famous ballroom for the sunday T-dance. It turned out to be ballroom dancing to the famous Wulrlitzer organ . With no flight home until later we had our tea and although worried at the reponse, we danced double trouble and played steal and swap partners. Some ballroom dancers said it all looked great fun. So I still feel the dancers are fine although the organist stuck to his playlist. I don't think he would have known Justin Timberlake anyhow

Steve

Glitter Queen

No, I can't understand it.
    I would have thought any chance for advertising and getting more people dancing (no matter what sort of dancing) would be a good thing.
    Seems a very strange attitude to me.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Thing is with Ballroom, everyone sets out to get an Ideal and therefore they all dance the same.

With modern Jive, most people set out to be different and have their own style.
    I understand there's also a problem with the surfeit of moves in Modern Jive. Ballroom judges want to be able to look at a couple and say "nice American Spin", from a list of twelve moves in the bronze curriculum, rather than merely noting that they look generically awesome. That doesn't fit with the Modern Jive philosophy on collecting dozens of moves and improvising more.

Before wishing too hard for ballroom to include Modern Jive, look at how they incorporated Tango, or Jive. I doubt many of us would be too happy with the results.

To the untrained dancer they may all look the same. But believe me, most are world apart. Modern Jive is very young in the dance world and its time may come in the future. For now though, it best to accept were it stands in the dance world and just enjoy it as best you can.

No, I can't understand it.
    I would have thought any chance for advertising and getting more people dancing (no matter what sort of dancing) would be a good thing.
    Seems a very strange attitude to me.
    People go to learn Ballroom and Latin American dance, other people find out about modern jive. Basically people line up for ballroom and most people have never heard of ceroc or modern jive.

Glitter Queen

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth View Post
    People go to learn Ballroom and Latin American dance, other people find out about modern jive. Basically people line up for ballroom and most people have never heard of ceroc or modern jive.
    I'm not sure I agree with this.
    I never see ballroom classes being advertised - and until the whole SCD phenomenon I thought the uptake of ballroom dancing classes was fairly low (apart from kids and OAPs) especially in comparrison to things like football.
    Ceroc/MJ on the other hand actively seeks and encourages people to dance - they don't have to go find classes, the classes go and find them.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I never see ballroom classes being advertised - and until the whole SCD phenomenon I thought the uptake of ballroom dancing classes was fairly low (apart from kids and OAPs) especially in comparrison to things like football.
    Ceroc/MJ on the other hand actively seeks and encourages people to dance - they don't have to go find classes, the classes go and find them.
    I agree with Sparkles.

I wanted to learn Ballroom when I was in Hastings. There was 4 MJ classes a week but no ballroom.

Non dancers are more likley to have heard of ballroom. Infact when I have to describe MJ to people, I tell them to think of a very modern ballroom crossed with 50's jive to hip hop music. Norm gives them some idea.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    I agree with Sparkles.

Infact when I have to describe MJ to people, I tell them to think of a very modern ballroom crossed with 50's jive to hip hop music. Norm gives them some idea.
    I still think Modern Jive is not the best description of what we dance. People say it looks nothing like jive. The title is not worthy of the variety of what we do in my opinion.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

I still think Modern Jive is not the best description of what we dance. People say it looks nothing like jive. The title is not worthy of the variety of what we do in my opinion.
    It looks nothing like jive. Think Modern Jive or French jive, infact the whole 'jive' thing to be really dated.

Sure some people dance in that way but quite a few don't. All depends on styles. Then again with WCS you don't really see much 'swing'

Kids are the future, and whether it be football or dancing if kids are doing it then the future looks good for both. However, you mentioned that ceroc actively seek and encourage people. Ballroom does not actually need to do this as much. Like when the movie "Shall We Dance" was playing in the theatre's. How many people started ceroc compared to how many started ballroom/latin? I see ballroom classes advertised often, but rarely do I see ceroc advertised. And being a dancer I look for these things everyday.

I never see ballroom classes being advertised ...
    There's usually 2 or 3 adverts in the weekly free newspaper here for ballroom/latin lessons...

I've never seen an advert for a MJ class in any newspaper or magazine.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Yep, it's a meaningless combination of two words that sit in embarrassment next to each other.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information