Thread: Bank Charges

Bank Charges

Not sure if anyone has already posted a thread on bank charges and if they have I apologise for doing a repeat thread.

What I would like to know is if anyone on the forum has claimed back their bank charges? Yes I know I shouldn't have gone overdrawn etc but, my bank has charged me over a grand in the past 6 years and I am not happy about it.

I have gone through all the necessary procedures writing to the bank etc. Had a reply within 7 days as promised. Waited another 28 for the next reply saying they needed more time. Then blow me down with a big stick they offer me £50!

Should I carry on fighting or get a professional in on this.

Re: Bank Charges

You might find this interesting.

Martin Lewis is a regular on the Jeremy Vine show on radio 2.

He likes to save people lots and lots of money.

Bank charges: Reclaim them, they're unlawful, so you can get six years money back | MoneySavingExpert: Consumer Revenge, Credit Cards, Shopping, Bank Charges, Cheap Flights and more,

Thanks DT i was following another site which wasnt as helpful as this.

Good luck!

I have heard a lot of stuff on the Money Programme on Radio 4 about this, so looked it up to see if there was anything on the website - take a look at this

There's a URL at the bottom (not a link) which might be useful too.

Hope you get most of it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy D View Post
    Thanks DT i was following another site which wasnt as helpful as this.
    Pleasure.

Watch the video on the website. DO NOT settle for £50. Martin Lewis knows what he is talking about. All the templates are there to make it easy for you. You should get all, if not a high percentage of that £1,000 back if you fight them.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Not sure if anyone has already posted a thread on bank charges and if they have I apologise for doing a repeat thread.

What I would like to know is if anyone on the forum has claimed back their bank charges? Yes I know I shouldn't have gone overdrawn etc but, my bank has charged me over a grand in the past 6 years and I am not happy about it.

I have gone through all the necessary procedures writing to the bank etc. Had a reply within 7 days as promised. Waited another 28 for the next reply saying they needed more time. Then blow me down with a big stick they offer me £50!

I heard on the radio - can't recall which station - that if you take it to the through the banking omsbudman the banks settle rather than being bothered with dealing with it

Lloyds TSB just won a case which may set a precedent ... see here

Ceroc Franchisee

I went overdrawn by £4.50 for 1 day recently, my first ever trangression. Abbey charged me £50 for it! However, I did write to challenge them saying it was extortionate and referred to the various inquiries going on into bank charges. Lo and held I got my £50 back!

Mike
    Mike Walker
    Too much is never enough

Quote Originally Posted by Icey View Post
    Was just about to post that - you beat me to it Icey! I think people need to be a bit more careful about reclaiming now.

Commercial Operator

But it probably won't.
    That was a judgement by a "low order" district judge, and certainly came as a surprise. But that ruling has no bearing on rulings made in other courts, and it seems quite likely that it will be appealed. (Also the crucial point in the ruiling seems to be that the charges were not seen as "penalty" charges, so if other accounts have any conditions referring to "penalties" or such like, then this ruling will be irrelevant.)

If I did have any charges to contest ( :smug git: ) I would still be persevering. It seems the usual order of things is that claims are brought about by customers in the small claims court, then the bank either pays up just before the court date, or they don't turn up at court at all, and the case is awarded to the customer.

Greg

My perception was that the judge in this case didn't go any further than reading the contract to determine what the fees were for, and hence there is a high chance of the decision being apealled. (just because the contract defines the charges as service charges doesn't make them reasonable or legal)

Have been following the various tips/ advice given out on daytime TV about all of this and am quietly watching from the sidelines as to what is going to happen because this has got the potential to blow out of the water.

My concern is..if you are successful, are you going to be refused to be offered a service by that bank after the claim is paid out? If so, what are the repercussions going to be?? Other banks not accepting you etc etc.
    I know Jeremy Vine has said this behaviour is illegal BUT we all know how loopholes can be found in any legislation..ESPECIALLY where money is concerned.

Anyone got any info on this?

If I got my charges back, would be able to pay for us all to go to Southport AND have an ice cream!

Quote Originally Posted by angelique View Post
    My concern is..if you are successful, are you going to be refused to be offered a service by that bank after the claim is paid out?

Martin Lewis advices that you open another account at a differnt bank, in case they close your account.

You make the bank money. Its not a charity, there are plenty of other banks that would like your business.

If you are owed money, don't let the banks intimidate you. They know you will be worried and will try every trick in the book. I say fek em...! get your money back and go elsewhere.

Registered User Tazmanian Devil's Avatar

I have also been claimiing back bank charges they gave me £984 visit this site to find out more and read many sucess stories. Sorry if anyone else has put this link up.

Thread Information