Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Does experience matter?

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Does expereince matter?

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    When advice is offered, it is up to recepient to decide whether to take it up or not. And I wouldn't come to the same person and say - don't listen to his advice, as he's rubbish, listen to mine, as I am better/more experienced/teacher, etc, etc, etc... Would you?
    Rocky would. Dunno about everyone else

Commercial Operator

When advice is offered, it is up to recepient to decide whether to take it up or not. And I wouldn't come to the same person and say - don't listen to his advice, as he's rubbish, listen to mine, as I am better/more experienced/teacher, etc, etc, etc... Would you?
    Would I? If I'm completely honest, I can see situations where I'd do this, yes. Maybe with more diplomacy, and I'd make every effort not to criticise the other advice-giving party, but if, within my own sphere of expertise, I saw advice being given which I considered to be dangerous, or that could result in serious problems for the recipient, or would leave them gravely misinformed, then yes. I can see myself trying to rectify that.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    Would I? If I'm completely honest, I can see situations where I'd do this, yes. Maybe with more diplomacy, and I'd make every effort not to criticise the other advice-giving party, but if, within my own sphere of expertise, I saw advice being given which I considered to be dangerous, or that could result in serious problems for the recipient, or would leave them gravely misinformed, then yes. I can see myself trying to rectify that.
    As we are talking about the matter of experience here, would you honestly come up to the person and say that JUST because YOU are more experienced, they should listen to your advice instead? If you would do it diplomatically, and NOT criticising another party, then you are just giving ANOTHER advice. Which the recepient, in full possession of his/her wits, is free to accept or ignore just like the first one.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

As we are talking about the matter of experience here, would you honestly come up to the person and say that JUST because YOU are more experienced, they should listen to your advice instead? If you would do it diplomatically, and NOT criticising another party, then you are just giving ANOTHER advice. Which the recepient, in full possession of his/her wits, is free to accept or ignore just like the first one.

Thing is about advice on the forum is there are too many people willing to just shoot down that advice for the hell of it.

Some of it's very valid advice.

I once advised people that spotting doesn't work for everyone. I get grief all the time from that post no matter how true it was.

Commercial Operator

As we are talking about the matter of experience here, would you honestly come up to the person and say that JUST because YOU are more experienced, they should listen to your advice instead?
    Probably not - for a start - how would most people know whether I was the more experienced party? The advice would have to speak for itself - and being the more experienced party, I would hope that my advice would do just that. Bearing in mind that the other party would have to have come up with something I considered pretty dire for me to be doing this.

If you would do it diplomatically, and NOT criticising another party, then you are just giving ANOTHER advice. Which the recepient, in full possession of his/her wits, is free to accept or ignore just like the first one.
    Indeed they are. My pride is not at stake in terms of influencing their actions. It would simply be at stake if I did nothing and left them ignorant of what I consider to be the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Thing is about advice on the forum is there are too many people willing to just shoot down that advice for the hell of it.

Some of it's very valid advice.

I once advised people that spotting doesn't work for everyone. I get grief all the time from that post no matter how true it was.
    Spotting? Sorry, I am not sure in what context you are employing it here? Is it relevant to the discussion?

Commercial Operator

Spotting? Sorry, I am not sure in what context you are employing it here? Is it relevant to the discussion?
    No

Probably not - for a start - how would most people know whether I was the more experienced party? The advice would have to speak for itself - and being the more experienced party, I would hope that my advice would do just that. Bearing in mind that the other party would have to have come up with something I considered pretty dire for me to be doing this.

Indeed they are. My pride is not at stake in terms of influencing their actions. It would simply be at stake if I did nothing and left them ignorant of what I consider to be the facts.
    Agreed to both, with the exception that the "facts" might be not be, in fact, facts!!!

Commercial Operator

Agreed to both, with the exception that the "facts" might be not be, in fact, facts!!!
    Which is why I qualified it as 'what I consider to be the facts' - there's always the possibility that I'm wrong.

Which is why I qualified it as 'what I consider to be the facts' - there's always the possibility that I'm wrong.
    Hence the """""""....

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Does experience matter?

yes it is

No
    yes...

Basicly I got told that because Nina had told people to spot and that I told people that spotting doesn't work for some people, I got told I was wrong and the idiot. How could I contradict something someone with tonnes of experiance says. Even got called dangerous for it!!!

It's true though, not everyone does spot when they spin. so no experiance doesn't matter that much because you can still be wrong about something.

yes it is

yes...

Basicly I got told that because Nina had told people to spot and that I told people that spotting doesn't work for some people, I got told I was wrong and the idiot. How could I contradict something someone with tonnes of experiance says. Even got called dangerous for it!!!

It's true though, not everyone does spot when they spin. so no experiance doesn't matter that much because you can still be wrong about something.
    It also depended on how you and Nina have phrased your advices.
    Did they really call you an idiot to your face? If yes, then your anger is understandable. If not, then you are being rude.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Did they really call you an idiot to your face? If yes, then your anger is understandable. If not, then you are being rude.

The thread can be found here.

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/l...-spotting.html

Resulted in quite a few neg reps too for me.

Commercial Operator

Here's the thread. I'm afraid I'm not going to try and summarise it (partly because I don't have the energy, and partly to avoid any kind of biased account from myself)

[EDIT] Beaten to the punch, I see

In fact, your exact words were:

Don't try and spot. Works for some, not for most.
    Subtleties of language often seem to escape you, but there is a distinct difference between advising "You don't have to do X" and "Don't do X".

(Incidentally, I thought your "once you throw yourself in to it with force, there is no stopping" advice was far worse, but I don't pretend to be an expert on spinning, so...)

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    In fact, your exact words were:

Subtleties of language often seem to escape you, but there is a distinct difference between advising "You don't have to do X" and "Don't do X".

(Incidentally, I thought your "once you throw yourself in to it with force, there is no stopping" advice was far worse, but I don't pretend to be an expert on spinning, so...)
    Later on in the thread I clarified that point. And so did you (just reading through it again now.

It's true. If you throw yourself in to it with force, it's alot harder to sudenly stop. Laws of physics.

The thread can be found here.

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/l...-spotting.html

Resulted in quite a few neg reps too for me.
    Just looked at the couple of the posts - I think it was the tone of your advice - quite categorical, really - yes, subtlety might be a good thing to learn....
    Having said that Andy shouldn't have jumped on you with such an excruciating response either, so...
    ... on the other thought ... no more comments from me outside of topic...

At the risk of being told off by Nebula again ( ), once again WF is making this thread about himself, and his past infamous advice.

Surely Woodie (now that I'm not ignoring you anymore, why not getting all familiar while we're at it...), you realise the forum doesn't revolve around you ?

I don't think DJ would be kind enough to put all WF's advice into one, big thread, for us punters to have a fountain of knowledge readily available, by any chance ?

PS: giving up on this thread now, I think... yeah it took a while, I know.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Just looked at the couple of the posts - I think it was the tone of your advice - quite categorical, really - yes, subtlety might be a good thing to learn....
    Having said that Andy shouldn't have jumped on you with such an excruciating response either, so...
    ... on the other thought ... no more comments from me outside of topic...
    It is on topic though. Look at the last page and Alex Faulkner agrees with the stuff I put on the first page.

Thats the bloke who teaches the ceroc teachers agrreing with what I said.

Now if Alex had posted that, would he have come in for the same amount of stick or did I get it because I had less experiance than him?

At the risk of being told off by Nebula again ( )
    PS: giving up on this thread now, I think... yeah it took a while, I know.

I am not going to tell you off, I am just giving up, too. I think this thread has exhausted the dance experience discussion points.

Thread Information