Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Does experience matter?

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Does expereince matter?

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    That's unfortunate.

You may have some insightfull information to pass on. You may have some genius teaching that will help every reader of the forum. You may say something on musicality that everyone sighs and 'clicks' with. You may have ideas and views on Double Trouble dancing that make everyone sit up and listen.... you may...

...but no-one will listen to you or take it seriously because it's all a bit of a pantomime to you. Who wants to learn from the experiance of a comic dame?
    {cue andy}

"It's behind you!"

So you are saying you will only get taken seriously if you are bland, boring, never have a joke, Conform to the same thing as everyone else and say what the majority want to hear?

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    So you are saying you will only get taken seriously if you are bland, boring, never have a joke, Conform to the same thing as everyone else and say what the majority want to hear?
    funnily enough, I wouldn't think of Amir as being "bland, boring, never have a joke, Conform to the same thing as everyone else and say what the majority want to hear". Yet he doesn't seem to get the same kind of reactions that you get...

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    funnily enough, I wouldn't think of Amir as being "bland, boring, never have a joke, Conform to the same thing as everyone else and say what the majority want to hear". Yet he doesn't seem to get the same kind of reactions that you get...
    Because I post more and a few don't get my sense of humor.

Also Amir has been dancing along time and is a well known teacher. If his posts said exactly the same as mine, he wouldn't get grief would he.

Commercial Operator

Because I post more and a few don't get my sense of humor.
    Oh - I 'get' your sense of humour - it's not what I'd call subtle. I just see it as (for the most part) somewhat puerile.

Also Amir has been dancing along time and is a well known teacher. If his posts said exactly the same as mine, he wouldn't get grief would he.
    Just this once, I'll give in to the pantomime thang.

Just this once.

Oh, Yes He Would....

If his posts said exactly the same as mine
    but that's about as relevant as talking about the time when chicken will get teeth

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    but that's about as relevant as talking about the time when chicken will get teeth
    But it's true.

Commercial Operator

But it's true.
    Oh no it....

Ahem.

I think you'll find it isn't. Actually, you won't find that because it's hard to enviasge him doing anything of the kind - but in general, if a respected figure started coming out with that kind of rubbish on such a regular basis, I think you'd be stunned at how fast people lost respect for them. People's respect is very hard to earn, and very easy to lose.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Yes, he'd get grief for posting like Woodface

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: Does experience matter?

Give me one example of one of these posts.

Give me one example of one of these posts.
    WAKE UP WF, that's exactly what this is about... But since you don't get it, I'll type it all clear for you: you won't find any idiotic post from Amir!

Now if you want to see a post full of wit, childish humour(TM) and knowledge, I suggest to look at ANY of his posts!!!

Sorry to get in on your very meaningful conversation, WoodFace, StrayCat and Caro, but as a newer member, I really would like to see some dance-related post exchanges on the forum dedicated to ... erm... dance?... Would you mind taking your remarks out of this thread, and maybe outside?...

Quote Originally Posted by nebula View Post
    Would you mind taking your remarks out of this thread, and maybe outside?...
    that's the most valid point in the past few pages of this thread Nebula, and FYI I have already asked for it.

Commercial Operator

Sorry to get in on your very meaningful conversation, WoodFace, StrayCat and Caro, but as a newer member, I really would like to see some dance-related post exchanges on the forum dedicated to ... erm... dance?... Would you mind taking your remarks out of this thread, and maybe outside?...
    Fair point. I stand admonished.

Quote Originally Posted by straycat264 View Post
    I think you'll find it isn't. Actually, you won't find that because it's hard to enviasge him doing anything of the kind - but in general, if a respected figure started coming out with that kind of rubbish on such a regular basis, I think you'd be stunned at how fast people lost respect for them. People's respect is very hard to earn, and very easy to lose.
    To prove the point, I can think of one fairly obvious forumite (not Amir!) who (in the real world) is a well respected teacher and has won competitions, but whose posts here have caused responses along the lines of "Does Mike Ellard know what you're posting? Because you're an embarrassment to Ceroc." (not an exact quote).

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    To prove the point, I can think of one fairly obvious forumite (not Amir!) who (in the real world) is a well respected teacher and has won competitions, but whose posts here have caused responses along the lines of "Does Mike Ellard know what you're posting? Because you're an embarrassment to Ceroc." (not an exact quote).
    Are we talking about his experience - as per this thread's OK, long forgotten title, or about the tone of his posts?

Are we talking about his experience - as per this thread's OK, long forgotten title, or about the tone of his posts?
    Both.

To relate it back to the start of the thread: if two people are debating a point coherently, with neither giving ground, then you should probably listen to the person with greater experience.

But if one person's posts are nonsensical, abusive or causing trouble for the sake of it, they don't get a pass on that behaviour because of their real-world experience.

Commercial Operator

Ooooh. Careful. It all starts like this - with a sensible question that's a veering maybe a tiny bit off-topic, and then suddenly.... you're in the middle of a front-line skirmish in Forum War XXIXV, wondering how on earth you got there, and trying to prise a winning retort out of the cold dead fingers of a fallen comrade-in-arms...

ahem.

Back vaguely on topic. With a completely reliable, barely-remembered story I heard from someone-or-other.**
    At one of the big swing-dance camps, a few years back, they got in an superb (and award-winning) performance team to demonstrate & teach - only to find that while their performance skills were top-notch, as teachers they were pretty dire. Cue quite a few complaints.

Several years on, I know of one member of said group who is now a superb teacher. Just goes to show what others have been saying on the thread - teaching is a very distinct skill, and doesn't automatically come with dance ability.

**Actually, I think it might have been Nina.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

If I was to give the following advice on Aerials -

1) ensure you are warmed up

2) Remember your back is very easy to damage

3) Ensure saftey at all times

4) do not push past what feels comfortable

5) only do them with a dance partner you have practised them with.

Would you or do you think, any aerial expert would disagree with this advice.

Do you think it would be invalid advice because it has come from me?

Commercial Operator

If I was to give the following advice on Aerials -

[advice]

Would you or do you think, any aerial expert would disagree with this advice.
    Do you think it would be invalid advice because it has come from me?
    I was about to say that I would ignore the source**, and treat the advice on its own merits, but that's not entirely true.

To be completely honest, turning this around, if someone I considered to be a god-like aerial expert gave me this advice, I'd lose a lot of respect for them.

With a less experienced person giving the advice, I'd take that into account and cut them some slack.

**I mean, of course, ignore who the source is***

***unless the source was ignoring me

Several years on, I know of one member of said group who is now a superb teacher. Just goes to show what others have been saying on the thread - teaching is a very distinct skill, and doesn't automatically come with dance ability.

**Actually, I think it might have been Nina.
    I thought we were talking about giving advice? As a trainer myself (nothing to do with dance, I am afraid, I am too impatient, probably, to ever be a dance teacher!!!), I know it's a hell of a lot of difference to go and do it, and to stand in front of the group for x amount of time and try to explain what you are doing. But ... and I think it's a big but... say, I am in the training done by somebody else - and I am not an expert, by any means, but do know something - or other, about the subject. And I see that somebody is struggling with a concept, or whatever. Should I be ignored if I offer advice on how to do it because I AM NOT A TEACHER? Maybe. Or maybe I can see it from another point of view - not from the lofty heights of esteemed tutor, who's done it the same way for donkey's years.
    When advice is offered, it is up to recepient to decide whether to take it up or not. And I wouldn't come to the same person and say - don't listen to his advice, as he's rubbish, listen to mine, as I am better/more experienced/teacher, etc, etc, etc... Would you?

Thread Information