Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finding the 'line/country dance side' of the WCS dance scene

Finding the 'line/country dance side' of the WCS dance scene

Something that I have been thinking about for a while, and now that Gus' thread has disappeared (on the grounds of advertising, I suppose, and fair enough), I was wondering if people knew about events from the line/country dance side of things that include WCS. Obviously I live in scotland, so the closer to here the better

Everytime I see those dancers at one of the MJ/WCS events, I am amazed at their grace, footwork, and musicality. And I want to see more of that

So, any tips ? Where do you find info? Have people 'crossed the line' and gone to some of their events ? If so, what is it like ? Are we (westies born in a modern-jiver body ) going to feel out of depth ?

Re: Finding the 'line/country dance side' of the WCS dance scene

I've been trying to find if anything is happening in Ireland as I know there is always a WCS couple over at the UWDWC Shamrock event in October. I've been in touch with the organiser and there has been talk of workshops maybe taking place but I don't know if anything has happened. I don't know that there would be anything close by, but even within a couple of hours drive, it would still be nice to be able to go to a workshop or event without having to catch a flight first!

Its interesting that many of the good dancers we had/have in our area came from line dancing; Pistol pete, Lillian, Chris Taylor (WCS instructor), Donna to name but a few. The line dancing world seems to be having its own 'interesting' events happeneing. Seems like the Eurpoeans have finally cast off the 'shackles' of the American oppressors (or something like that) and set up a new governing body. I'm not sure what the outcome will be, but there may be more UK WCS intrsuctors coming to the fore, if anyone is intereseted in searching them out.

Yes I guess this is all leading to the fact many of the leading WCS dancers appear to be top 'Liners'. To name but a few Cat' Wiles (a LD world champion, also currently 2nd place World Masters LD Champ with Lee Easton), Paul Warden (numerous World titles in LD) , Lee Easton (currently world champion in 2 LD worldwide federations and I understand second in the third LD WW Federation, along with abve with Cat) and the Forums lovely Blue Angel was an under 16 World Champ' a few years ago.
    Bit of a theme here somewhere!
    Interestingly recently in a Berkshire's New Lodge at a private party (no advertsing), PW taught at request an LD routine to the dancers to the score for . Sorry I forget the choreographer who is a line legend . It certainly was all of that, and no casulties bar a few bruised egos and throbbing brains. It appeared all healthy stuff and not a cowboy boot or Stetson in sight .
    From information it appears WCS makes up the masters 8 dances in the country and line scene along with ChaCha, Hustle, Night Club 2 Step etc.
    All very interesting it shows the cross dance skills and disciplines all help build up these amazing levels of ability we admire so much on the floor.
    Last edited by Keith J; 21st-May-2007 at 12:02 PM. Reason: typos typos

I used to line dance. That's what made the footwork side of WCS easy. It also means now I've got a good basic anchoring in WCS, I can easily adapt my complex linedance footwork into my WCS.

guys... I know some line dancers are great WCS dancers, but the point of this thread was to try and gather information about line/country dance events (whether local or national) and classes...

Nobody's got links to relevant websites ? Surely that can't be advertising (well unless you copy and paste the content of the website!), since I am (desperately) asking for it ? Pretty please ?

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    guys... I know some line dancers are great WCS dancers, but the point of this thread was to try and gather information about line/country dance events (whether local or national) and classes...

Nobody's got links to relevant websites ? Surely that can't be advertising (well unless you copy and paste the content of the website!), since I am (desperately) asking for it ? Pretty please ?
    Did you try a search tool called Google? Within <1 minute I found line dancing events coming up in Aberfoyle and Rothesay for example - and loads of others.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    Did you try a search tool called Google? Within <1 minute I found line dancing events coming up in Aberfoyle and Rothesay for example - and loads of others.
    yes I did, and that's kind of the problem, you always end up with loads of things you need to go through and filter to find out what's relevant for you.
    I was hoping that some forumites might actually know that scene and would advise what events they've been to, liked, and so on.

I guess you could always *buy* a copy of line dancer magazine -- or send them an email -- it might make a good article for them?

SpinDr

I've been to a couple of UCWDC events in the USA this year, and although I used to teach Line Dancing I was more interested in the partner dancing, in competition there are eight: Polka, Cha Cha, Waltz, Triple 2, Night Club two step, Two Step, East Coast Swing and West Coast Swing.(No Hustle as was suggested in an earlier post)
    If you want to make the most of the social dancing at these events it's worth knowing WCS and 2 step, and a bit of Cha Cha, waltz and night club, and if there's a separate Swing room then also Hustle and Salsa.(At some events there are also Strictly Swing competitions and Jack & Jills in WCS, Hustle and Salsa and Two Step)
    Here is a link to an event in Glasgow later this year

Home

Don't be fooled by the list of invited instructors, at this stage they are "invited", my experiences of other events is their attendance wont be confirmed until nearer the time, there are some amongst the list that I have met in my travels and would definitely want to catch up with again if they come over.
    Last edited by Crossa; 22nd-May-2007 at 02:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    I know there is always a WCS couple over at the UWDWC Shamrock event in October.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crossa View Post
    I've been to a couple of UCWDC events in the USA this year
    Sorry, UCWDC - shows how much I know!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith J View Post
    Interestingly recently in a Berkshire's New Lodge at a private party (no advertsing), PW taught at request an LD routine to the dancers to the score for . Sorry I forget the choreographer who is a line legend . It certainly was all of that, and no casulties bar a few bruised egos and throbbing brains. It appeared all healthy stuff and not a cowboy boot or Stetson in sight .
    It was "Have fun, go mad", choreographed by Scott Blevins.

Click here to see it on You Tube (not a very polished version and dark) ....

or click here for the instructions.

Best of luck!
    Last edited by Peter; 25th-May-2007 at 11:41 AM.

Nice one Pete just need some of those NATO night vision glasses and it'll all be clear.

try headliners.co.uk caro
    or ucwdc website and also
    cwdc website.

Quote Originally Posted by angelblue View Post
    try headliners.co.uk caro
    or ucwdc website and also
    cwdc website.
    better than that PM forumite HEADLINERS (check out his profile) he also is a Ceroc champ

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

thanks all for many helpful links and tips ! Will investigate and let you know what happened...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I used to line dance. That's what made the footwork side of WCS easy. It also means now I've got a good basic anchoring in WCS, I can easily adapt my complex linedance footwork into my WCS.
    I used to linedance alot yonks ago and will be starting WCS as soon as my exams are over, I hope that I find the footwork for that as easy as LD.

Thanks for the heads up Jamie, I wouldn't have made the connection.

Paul Warden is teaching a couple of line dance routines at Southport. He wants that main room filling and he was kind enough to give us a preview of the routines he's going to be teaching at the end of our WCS workshop yesterday. Looks like fun and I'll be there ready to fall over my feet.

Quote Originally Posted by robd View Post
    Paul Warden is teaching a couple of line dance routines at Southport. He wants that main room filling and he was kind enough to give us a preview of the routines he's going to be teaching at the end of our WCS workshop yesterday. Looks like fun and I'll be there ready to fall over my feet.
    Noticed that on the programme, I'd like to try something a bit different so think I'll give that a go too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Noticed that on the programme, I'd like to try something a bit different so think I'll give that a go too.
    me three.

Thread Information