Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What has happened to Woodfaces thread?

Re: What has happened to Woodfaces thread?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    I have to agree with DTS.

Woodface started a trolling thread. People (including me) responded.

IMHO, the appropriate action would have been to move it outside. Not delete it.

Over-moderation in the extreme. Sorry David, but IMHO your actions were wrong on this occasion.
    I'm guessing the overreaction is because a moderator was actively involved in the fracas (and because people kept quoting what he'd posted faster than the moderators could keep up with. Possibly because many agreed with him).

However, I'm strongly of the opinion that a forum can't work if people keep picking at the moderators' decisions, so I'll shut up now...

(Although how come I didn't get a message about my post that got deleted in the crossfire? Sulk!)

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    no, that would be "asking stupid questions soliciting annoyed responses", not "any" question
    What did I miss? What was the question? Oh I hate not knowing stuff.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Re: So how should we post questions

Quote Originally Posted by TheTramp View Post
    If you post obviously inflammatory questions that you apparently don't hold as your actual thoughts, then yes, it's trolling.
    Everyone has had that thought in the back of their head at one point or another. Everyone has danced with a beginner and thought "they will never get it". Even you Trampy. All I asked was A) should they be told (IMHO no I dont think they should) and B) should Taxis say when A beginner should up classes.

Def of Trolling - For example, a neo-Nazi approaching a Jewish forum with the intention of attacking the members, purely because the neo-Nazi knows the forum to contain Jewish members, will be considered a troll.
    The general element, that determines whether a malicious user is a troll or not, is the level of indignant emotions present in the person, coupled with the person's history with the forum or group. An indignant user who has had a previous normal relationship with the group is not a troll, even if the user uses methods of attack that are characteristic of a troll attack.
    The term Troll is often used as an insult in online communications, resulting in it being largely misapplied.

Have to say personally I'm fed up with the 'wind up/stirring' threads on dance related topics. Fine - mess about as much as you want with chit chat, but don't try to put newbies off by having dance threads where they are not sure if their posts will be taken seriously or mocked. I know they're 'stirring' threads/posts but new members won't.

And posting to stir things up then sit back and laugh at those who try to join in with a considered comment is not the same as raising debate and discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    All I asked was A) should they be told (IMHO no I dont think they should) and B) should Taxis say when A beginner should up classes.
    Sorry Woodface - I know you're not the only person who does this, but I think you may have done the 'wind up' thing a few too many times and its knocked your credibility in starting/engaging in serious dance discussions.
    Last edited by Lynn; 17th-May-2007 at 01:34 PM.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post

Basically I started a thread saying something like the following" -

We have all danced with people who have been dancing a few weeks / months and thought they should give up and take up darts/snooker/ cards instead. Should they be told this and also should Taxi dancers be responsible for putting people in to the intermediate classes?

All went blah blah blah. Hate woodface. Woodface is trolling blah blah blah. No one answered question properly. Posts got deleted, then thread got removed. I got done for Trolling

Part-timer!

No one answered question properly.
    Actually, some of us did.

BASICALLY A QUESTION WAS ASKED BY WOODFACE ALONG THE LINES OF,
    SHOULD A BAD DANCER BE TOLD THAT THEY ARE BAD AND A SUGGESTION MADE TO THEM TO TAKE UP DARTS ETC.

We was all having a slightly heated debate about this when one of the moderators said something silly and backed himself into a corner, on a motorbike.

Things were said and egos bruised and then posts were deleted with no good explanation, AND THEN THE WHOLE THREAD WAS DELETED AND NO REASON GIVEN TO THE POSTIES.

I for one am still waiting for the reasons for the thread deletion, if i did something wrong i want to know about it so i can avoid the same mistake in the future.

I mean can we or can we not disagree with moderators?
    XXX XXX DTS

Ps if this is not a good enough explanation i will endeavor to explain better at SP.

XXX

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    Actually, some of us did.
    I think you did twirly along with one or two others but a majority didn't.

A majority moan about stiring when it is them themselves that are doing the stiring whether they know it or not.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dave the scaffolder View Post
    I for one am still waiting for the reasons for the thread deletion, if i did something wrong i want to know about it so i can avoid the same mistake in the future.
    You are wrong about why the thread was deleted. Several posts were reported on the thread, and after considering what to do, the 'offensive' posts were deleted. This left the thread in a confusing mess and made no sense.
    Moreover, Woodface himself stated that he started threads with views he doesn't share in order to bait a reaction on the Forum. This is a definition of trolling, so rather than spend the afternoon trying to extract sense out of all the postings, I deleted the thread.

If there is a valid discussion to be had on whether Beginners should be told that they are awful and encouraged to take up another hobby, I'd gladly have it, but not in the way Woodface originally launched it.

Dave, you seem to have strong views on moderation, and like to SHOUT a lot, this does not make you right, and most of the time you are not aware of the other reports on any topic. Constantly whining or having a go at moderators does you (and the forum) no good whatsoever.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    You are wrong about why the thread was deleted. Several posts were reported on the thread, and after considering what to do, the 'offensive' posts were deleted. This left the thread in a confusing mess and made no sense.
    Moreover, Woodface himself stated that he started threads with views he doesn't share in order to bait a reaction on the Forum. This is a definition of trolling, so rather than spend the afternoon trying to extract sense out of all the postings, I deleted the thread.

If there is a valid discussion to be had on whether Beginners should be told that they are awful and encouraged to take up another hobby, I'd gladly have it, but not in the way Woodface originally launched it.

Dave, you seem to have strong views on moderation, and like to SHOUT a lot, this does not make you right, and most of the time you are not aware of the other reports on any topic. Constantly whining or having a go at moderators does you (and the forum) no good whatsoever.
    Franck i thank you for your insite and i will endeavour to comply to your valuable advice in the future.

XXX XXX DTS

Commercial Operator

For what it's worth, I don't think woodface was trolling at all. I think he posted his actual view in a provocative way. It was deliberately provocative but I don't think that he actually held the opposite view in that particular case. I believe that he claimed that he was posting the opposite of his view because it became obvious that everybody disagreed with him.

I see this as a sign that woodface is growing up. Three months ago he wouldn't have detected that everyone was disagreeing with him. Well done woodface: you've just emerged from the swamp but will still need to return to the water to breed

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Where did I say this?

Franck you wouldn't be doing what some of the others do and read things in my posts that aren't there would you?

Where did I say this?

Franck you wouldn't be doing what some of the others do and read things in my posts that aren't there would you?
    I think we should all have a group hug and make up and be bestest friends again.
    XXX XXX DTS

And i mean that most sincerley (cant spell it, but you get my meaning).

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    posting a thread to discuss trolling when you clearly don't know what it is? This thread is , hopefully , going to be deleted too.
    Not only has it not been deleted it appears to have reproduced by binary fission.

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Where did I say this?

You said this in the thread we just deleted, here is the quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Woodface
    I always play Devils Advocate. Never give my own opinions if you read read any of my threads that get the abuse flowing, I never give and opinion out.

It's how people read it. They read it as if that's my opinion even though I havn't stated what my opinion is.
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

You said this in the thread we just deleted, here is the quote:

Nowhere have I said that I post to bait the forum. !!!!!!!!!

Had 9 posts dissapear the poof.

Got an email saying the thread was trolling. lol

Was just writing a post saying why it wasn't trolling. Hit send then got a thread gone message.

Maybe we need and unmoderated area of the forum for posts.
    I love you will you have my babies ?

will that cancel the bad Karma I gave out

If your going to be PM get the thread back

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I to am getting fed up with Moderators deciding to take hole threads off or sending we have deleted this re 'personal insults'

This post no doubt will be deleted soon
    True. Even when there was no "insult" and the subject of the so-called insult hasn't actually been insulted

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Err no.

Err Yes. Seems like an accurate assessment to me.

Thread Information