Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting worse rather than better - advice?

Re: Getting worse rather than better - advice?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Keefy - can I suggest going to Ashtons for one of the Friday freestyles. It's close to the end of the M1, so should be relatively easy for you to get to. I remember the first time I ever went there; I admit that I was a little nervous on the way there, but found it so rewarding, and drove home afterwards with such a massive smile on my face. There aren't too many hotshots there, and I found that going there improved my dancing enormously.

(And as an extra incentive, you may get to meet lots of other friendly forum members there as well!)

I'm not sure when the next Friday freestyle is, but strongly recommend that you try it!

and they ask YOU to dance well some of us do

so if you wan't to avoid the 'hot shot's' don't go down the front by he DJ

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    Keefy - can I suggest going to Ashtons ........I'm not sure when the next Friday freestyle is, but strongly recommend that you try it!
    This friday I believe. Venue here.
    Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    so if you wan't to avoid the 'hot shot's' don't go down the front by he DJ

You'll find me here Keefy! I promise I won't bite if you come and seek me out. (Well not very hard anyway)
    Last edited by Cruella; 15th-May-2007 at 08:28 AM.

Thank you one and all for all of the advice, comments and offers. Once again the friendly and supportive nature of the MJ scene shines through, as well as the public support on here I've been getting PM's as well

RIGHT!!!! Knowing that this is very common and it's not just me helps a lot, it's put things into perspective as well and given me a much more positive attitude which is helping already. I've been keeping a diary for some time, I note all of the moves done in the classes and annotate some of them if I need to. I've been going back over that, I'll concentrate on all of the beginners moves plus of few intermediate moves and variations that I like. I like the sound of the "one new move" approach, I'll try that.

I'm going to be sticking to the local venues and classes for now. Things seem to go better when I've got the safety blanket of the class structure to give me that kick start. I used to dread the "twice through and into freestyle" bit but recently it's been at that time I've been dancing my best and enjoying myself, I look forward to it now. At the moment getting out of my comfort zone means just keeping going through the after class freestyle

Personal circumstances mean that a weekender will be out of the question until August or September time, but I'm going to stick my neck out and book immediately for the October BFG when that comes online - there, I've said it, I'm going to go for it Right now the likes of Ashtons is just too far outside of my comfort zone, that would be counter productive. But I've set myself Ashtons/Hammersmith etc. as a personal target to work towards, things are already looking up at a local level and once I'm more comfortable there I'll try stretching myself to the bigger venues. Give me a break here folks, I'm finding even the local freestyles hard going at the moment I'm on the lookout for some intermediate workshops as well (hint to Ceroc UK - how about collating a central list?), the four hour workshop format seems to suit me.

So I'm not going to give up (I had seriously considered that a week or so ago) as I'm enjoying it too much. I'm going to try and get out at least a couple of times a week and concentrate on what I know plus a new (or reawakened) move now and then. I've got some challenges to work towards like Ashtons in a month or so and Blaze II later in the year.

So cheers all, see you on the dance floor I hope

Keith L

Lots of good advice, just to add in my 2p...

it seems like you're OK when you know what you're expected/going to do - ie in classes and workshops. Someone's telling you "these are the moves and in this order".
    Now you go into freestyle and no-one is telling you what to do - so many options you know you know, but have no idea how to get there!

I would try going into freestyle by carrying on with the routine - and thinking on one move. Then trying to put it in somewhere. You have the routine to return to as a 'safety net' and once you've got that move in, work out how to get back into the routine and think on another move (or the same one).

Once you've broken this block of not knowing what to do, it's relativly easy to find some moves you think work well together and have a few micro-routines to put in rather than just the one move. Your 'safety net' grows bigger and bigger and you will find that sometimes you 'fall off' intentionally simply to see where you will land

Most of freestyle is about confidence - knowing you have a 'backup plan' that you can go to boosts this dramatically and allows you to have more fun without worrying so much about the moves, leading, the music, your partner, ...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    Lots of good advice, just to add in my 2p...

it seems like you're OK when you know what you're expected/going to do - ie in classes and workshops. Someone's telling you "these are the moves and in this order".
    Now you go into freestyle and no-one is telling you what to do - so many options you know you know, but have no idea how to get there!

I would try going into freestyle by carrying on with the routine - and thinking on one move. Then trying to put it in somewhere. You have the routine to return to as a 'safety net' and once you've got that move in, work out how to get back into the routine and think on another move (or the same one).

Once you've broken this block of not knowing what to do, it's relativly easy to find some moves you think work well together and have a few micro-routines to put in rather than just the one move. Your 'safety net' grows bigger and bigger and you will find that sometimes you 'fall off' intentionally simply to see where you will land

Most of freestyle is about confidence - knowing you have a 'backup plan' that you can go to boosts this dramatically and allows you to have more fun without worrying so much about the moves, leading, the music, your partner, ...
    The best advice I can give you is to completely ignore Gadget's advice. The guy is over-analytical and a total twerp - he can't even splel. Get out there and get sweaty by dancing a lot...

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think there's phases you go though and I reckon you've just hit the phase when your actually becoming 'aware' of your faults, as your beginning to be able to 'feel' if something's wrong, rather than just going through the motions.. CONGRATULATIONS!

It feelS daunting, as the moments when things don't run smoothy, tend to stand out the most .. but rest assured, one of these days, maybe sooner than you think, something will just click

Weekenders, are where a lot of people first really get the sense that they're not having to 'think' anymore, its just happening..

Go for it!
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    The guy is over-analytical and a total twerp - he can't even splel.
    And he says I can't splel - it's spelled "G-E-N-I-U-S", not "t-w-e-r-p"

Quote Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
    And he says I can't splel - it's spelled "G-E-N-I-U-S", not "t-w-e-r-p"

I don't think you're a Twerp.. no matter HOW you spell .. sorry.. splel it.

I am new here, and I am new to dancing, so feel free to ignore this post. But my hubby hit the wall you are bouncing your nose on. I read through posts on this forum, and I suggested we work out a routine of a seven or eight of his favourite moves, to fall back on in freestyle,(we also practised before class, probably not practical for you?). It may not work for you, but it worked for us, and it is certainly worth a try. The repetition is good for you, providing you are leading the moves correctly, because you will build up a "muscle memory" of each. And have a couple of "thinking time" moves on standby (like octopus/loophole, or first move), for when you are really stuck. After a bit, you will get bored with your routine, (much sooner than your partners, don't worry) and you will get brave, and throw in a different move. Or you might play "simon": start with a set of moves, repeat them, adding a another at the end, repeat those, adding another move, until you get stuck, when go back to the original set of moves. (obviously, you can vary the moves you start with).
    While you are learning, don't worry that your attempt to lead will be a total yawn for your partner. As a follower, I really don't mind if the dance is made up of a set of simple moves, so long as the lead is clear, gentle, and smooth. (I think most followers -not just newbies like me- agree: search through old threads if you don't believe me). What I hate is when a panicky beginner starts yanking my arm because he has just remembered (a beat too late!), how a move goes, and he wants to "catch up" with the music (much better, please, to slow down: there will be another "...and 5 6 7 8" along soon!)
    So don't ignore Gadget!
    But keep in mind the spirit of Andy's advice: your goal is not to perfect a little routine(and that is not what Gadget was saying); your goal is to get out there, relax, and have fun dancing; with luck, even improving!
    In other words, build yourself a comfort zone, but then escape from it as soon, as often, and for as long as possible!

Geez - just reread this - it goes on a bit! but I'll post it anyway, 'cause I think there may be some good advice buried in there somewhere (mostly recycled from wiser forumites !).

Thread Information