View Poll Results: How should the UK play the Eurovision game next year?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue firing blanks and be good sports

1 10.00%
  • Look at recent winning entries, sell out and copy them

0 0%
  • Separate entries from Wales, N Ireland, Scotland & England - we might get more mutual votes

2 20.00%
  • Enter more distinctive, individual styles to try and stand out

3 30.00%
  • Pull out altogether in disgust - it's all got too political - and face the bad-sportsmen criticism

1 10.00%
  • Other cunning plans... please divulge!

3 30.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eurovision - where to go from here

Re: Eurovision - where to go from here

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I'm amazed, frankly, that anyone with a normal IQ between the ages of 8 and 80 actually gives a damn.

(outside of the music biz types who expect to make money from it all)
    about 11,000,000 in the uk , 100,000,000 or 200,000,000 elsewhere I don’t know ?

Given it’s the people that vote its one of the most interesting ways of getting a snap shot of society cira 2007 . You could publish a well received PHD on the subject but would probably need a IQ of 150 +

Don’t know what the ‘answer’ is regarding the voting. The inherent bias of people from the countries voting is astounding but worthy of further debate and review

Maybe a phone scam will come out and UK will have one ??

Quote Originally Posted by Wouldbe View Post
    We were joint 3rd-from bottom with France on 19, with only Ireland scoring lower (5 - shame really. The song could have been quite attractive, but the singer was dreadful). Only two countries gave us any points at all, one I can't remember, and Malta who oddly gave us 12!
    Ireland gave us 5 points

I'm amazed, frankly, that anyone with a normal IQ between the ages of 8 and 80 actually gives a damn
    Ah, I see, it's because we're a cut above the rest, fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Russian View Post
    Wow, that’s a really good reason for the Maltese to give you 12 points. We saved Serbia and Bulgaria from the Turkish yoke. But, for some reason, they didn’t give us 12 points. ...
    Serbia and Bulgaria, and various places in between, did not submit to colonisation by us in 1800. The official languages of Malta are English and Maltese, and the Broadcast Authority uses English predominantly on its website. I suspect there is a strong residual BBC influence on their TV. but, not of course, any suggestion of bias ...

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Ireland gave us 5 points
    It's great to see that Ireland are continuing to desperately avoid the costs of hosting the thing again by using Father Ted tactics (i.e. putting in the worst possible entry). Now however they've taken the cheapskate thing one step further, by voting for the UK (even in the face of musical reality), in the hope of cutting their travel costs.

The voting is now soooo predictable - I mean Cyprus might as well just post their 12 points for Greece for the next decade now, no?

BTW I didn't watch it - was at a wedding on a ship - but I assume Cyprus did give Greece 12 points...?

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Serbia and Bulgaria, and various places in between, did not submit to colonisation by us in 1800.
    ...at a wild guess, I think Crazy Russian was speaking from a Russian perspective about Serbia and Bulgaria....

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart M View Post

The voting is now soooo predictable - I mean Cyprus might as well just post their 12 points for Greece for the next decade now, no?

But why is it so predictable ? Its the people not judges that vote

Its hardly likely the English would give 12pts to the scots for yrs to come (If we split etc)

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    But why is it so predictable ? Its the people not judges that vote

Its hardly likely the English would give 12pts to the scots for yrs to come (If we split etc)
    Agree 100%. But the relationship between Scotland and England isn't quite the same as that between Cyprus and Greece. Try imagining one-third of Scotland being occupied by (say) Germany, and England supporting the Scots efforts in wanting them to leave...

Having looked at the results, it looks like Cyprus did indeed send its usual 12 points Athens-way. You might also care to note the usual Scandinavian love-fest. Have a look at Sweden's scores, only 6 countries gave them any points, and you can guess 4 of them without even trying

Having looked at the results
    Were there any songs involved? You could fill in that scorecard without having to subject people to the excrutiating cr*p that is rumoured to resemble music

Agree 100%. But the relationship between Scotland and England isn't quite the same as that between Cyprus and Greece. Try imagining one-third of Scotland being occupied by (say) Germany, and England supporting the Scots efforts in wanting them to leave...

Having looked at the results, it looks like Cyprus did indeed send its usual 12 points Athens-way. You might also care to note the usual Scandinavian love-fest. Have a look at Sweden's scores, only 6 countries gave them any points, and you can guess 4 of them without even trying
    what about all the Baltic states etc No got to dig deeper for PHD

Maybe we have western Europe and the rest ?

An Eclectic Toaster

Turns out the 12 points Malta gave the UK was just a protest vote

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Serbia and Bulgaria, and various places in between, did not submit to colonisation by us in 1800. The official languages of Malta are English and Maltese, and the Broadcast Authority uses English predominantly on its website. I suspect there is a strong residual BBC influence on their TV. but, not of course, any suggestion of bias ...
    Thanks for your detailed explanation. However, Stuart M is right. I was speaking from a Russian perspective. Pour tout dire, when I say 'we', 'our', etc., I mean 'Russia', 'Russian(s).' J'estime das liegt auf der Hand, n'est-ce pas?
    Last edited by Crazy Russian; 14th-May-2007 at 11:57 PM. Reason: I was drunk => Problems with German

Innocent, check. Pointless, check. But in what sense is it entertainment? You know, for people, e.g., who like music.

If someone said, for example, "would you like to come and see my holiday photos", and the alternative was Eurovision, wouldn't you be out the door like a shot?
    I'm not saying it was universally entertaining. I'm saying that we'd LIKE it to be, it SHOULD be, it's what it was INTENDED to be. But... it's not. At least not for the right reasons. And it's NOT innocent, because of backhanders and politics.

And, honestly, I'd rather watch Eurovision than sit through someone's holiday photos, unless I had a particular interest in where they went. At least it gives us a bit of a laugh.

Thread Information