View Poll Results: How should the UK play the Eurovision game next year?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Continue firing blanks and be good sports

1 10.00%
  • Look at recent winning entries, sell out and copy them

0 0%
  • Separate entries from Wales, N Ireland, Scotland & England - we might get more mutual votes

2 20.00%
  • Enter more distinctive, individual styles to try and stand out

3 30.00%
  • Pull out altogether in disgust - it's all got too political - and face the bad-sportsmen criticism

1 10.00%
  • Other cunning plans... please divulge!

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision - where to go from here

Eurovision - where to go from here

So another year, another Eurovision, another fix, another waste of time. What do/can we do about it?

Not one to take Eurovision seriously, nor to support the UK entry blindly when, for yet another year, it wasn't a lot of good, but does anyone else feel that we're being laughed at in this country? I find it a bit distasteful, bordering rude, that we seem to be one of a very select few countries that "play fair" in this contest and as a result, our entry sinks to the political bottom... again. And it wasn't by any means the worst entry on any front I can think of. It's not a great song, but it wasn't bland, it wasn't out-of-tune, it wasn't "too British", it wasn't over-the-top and it wasn't the most gimmicky. So what's going wrong?

I feel a poll coming on...

Re: Eurovision - where to go from here

Quote Originally Posted by Wouldbe View Post
    So another year, another Eurovision, another fix, another waste of time. What do/can we do about it?

Not one to take Eurovision seriously, nor to support the UK entry blindly when, for yet another year, it wasn't a lot of good, but does anyone else feel that we're being laughed at in this country? I find it a bit distasteful, bordering rude, that we seem to be one of a very select few countries that "play fair" in this contest and as a result, our entry sinks to the political bottom... again. And it wasn't by any means the worst entry on any front I can think of. It's not a great song, but it wasn't bland, it wasn't out-of-tune, it wasn't "too British", it wasn't over-the-top and it wasn't the most gimmicky. So what's going wrong?

I feel a poll coming on...
    it`s a complete waste of time IMHO....the whole eurovision thing lacks any real credibilty,class and entertainment value is non existent.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 13th-May-2007 at 08:57 AM. Reason: Quote fix

To me Eurovision is the epitome of everything that is the EU - it is pointless, unrepresentative, political, expensive... and nobody gives a sh*t about it

=...
    Not one to take Eurovision seriously, ..

Exactly
    but watch out
    Vampires are alive

Well...I've bought the papers and watched the news and no mention of the winners. I take it, it wasn't us.

Does anyone know the outcome?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Well...I've bought the papers and watched the news and no mention of the winners. I take it, it wasn't us.

Serbia won. UK was second-last (jointly). Better than "Nul Points" I guess.
    Love dance, will travel

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post

We were joint 3rd-from bottom with France on 19, with only Ireland scoring lower (5 - shame really. The song could have been quite attractive, but the singer was dreadful). Only two countries gave us any points at all, one I can't remember, and Malta who oddly gave us 12!

Serbia won, and to be fair, was on my list of the slightly-better-than-the-average-standard songs. Most of them were a bit non-descript. Ukraine came 2nd with a ridiculous novelty act looking rather like a vocal and aesthetic cross between Timmy Mallett, the creepy German from Cabaret and the Tin Man! Truly, TRULY awful. I think Turkey was somewhere in the top 5, with a remarkably (and ironically) similar entry to Greece based on a sort of Ricky Martin/Latin flavour in forced English.

A somewhat disappointing evening, surpassing all previous ones I've seen for the lack of any meritable contribution to the music industry. There's usually one or two songs that are worthy of a 2nd listen beyond the evening. If I hadn't have been unwell and forced to watch TV, I would definitely have been out dancing, somewhere, anywhere!

Only two countries gave us any points at all, one I can't remember, and Malta who oddly gave us 12!
    Must be a lot of holiday makers over there at the moment They gave us our third highest number of points last year (some sort of commonwealth thing? - maybe we should get Gibraltar involved ) Ireland was the other country giving us seven points. They gave us 8 points last year.

In fact the previous year saw only four countries give us any points - Ireland giving us 8, cyprus gave us 5, malta gave us 4 and turkey 1 - who says the voting is predictable!
    Last edited by Jhutch; 13th-May-2007 at 02:21 PM.

The Dashing Moderator

So is there a parallel with the discussions over Ceroc Champs and Jivemasters, and whether you should allow people (or countries in this case) to vote (by implication mainly for their mates) rather than having a panel of judges?
    Love dance, will travel

Usually a country that comes close to the bottom of the Eurovision list gets relegated into a qualifying competition. But because the BBC heavily bankrolls the event with licence fee money, we get to stay in the main competition despite our score.

We should get relegated properly, pay a fair share and only pay if we actually qualify.

This way, in a few years, Eurovision will only be on Challenge TV

Commercial Operator

Serbia won Bet won

Always bet on the Eurovision Song Contest and have won for the last three years.

Maybe I should pick our entry next year

...Only two countries gave us any points at all, one I can't remember, and Malta who oddly gave us 12! ...
    We did manage to save Malta from invasion during WWII.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

it's the worst year so far for songs though... man, what a mish mash of awful it was... only the big tub of Cherry Garcia (I ran out of Haagen Daaz!) saved the evening for me!

I do however have a cunning plan.. next year we dont enter as the UK we enter as greatislaviva Britonia - 'cos I reckon you need to have an "ia" to make it sound Balkan enough.. they might be confused and think we're one of the block vote?!

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    it's the worst year so far
    Isn't that the point though?

I love watching eurovision and listening to Terry Wogan gradually getting more and more p!ssed on Baileys as the night goes on & his relentless p!ss taking of the entries and their dyer efforts.

You can't beat it. I'm gutted I missed it last night, but I had a great night dancing, so I can't complain.

I'm amazed, frankly, that anyone with a normal IQ between the ages of 8 and 80 actually gives a damn.

(outside of the music biz types who expect to make money from it all)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    I'm amazed, frankly, that anyone with a normal IQ between the ages of 8 and 80 actually gives a damn.

(outside of the music biz types who expect to make money from it all)
    I think people give a damn because we want it to be a bit of innocent, pointless entertainment. It should be a friendly celebration of diversity - good, clean, wholesome competition - not a playground of cliques conforming to unhelpful stereotypes, reinforcing hostile barriers and watering down even the potential entertainment value.

I guess we cling on to the hope that one year, the various constituents of this part of the world will have outgrown all the back-stabbing, petty squabbling and suspicion, and pull together to enjoy harmless, non-discriminatory fun. It ought to be like how kids play before they become tainted by awareness of environment and the prejudices of the people closest to them. There's no ultimate worth in Eurovision per se and so no, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but the undercurrent signifies that something unpleasant is going on behind the scenes and spoiling it.

I will confess to watching the Eurovision (I can't dance due to back trouble so I was stuck at home). Most of the songs, predictably, were utter crap. Only two things made it worth watching:
    1. Terry Wogan's wonderful commentary, laden with sarcastic wit and p!ss-taking
    2. Copious amounts of alcohol.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Well, where else can I find a Steps tribute band and the lovely Apocalyptica on the same bill?

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    We did manage to save Malta from invasion during WWII.

Wow, that’s a really good reason for the Maltese to give you 12 points. We saved Serbia and Bulgaria from the Turkish yoke. But, for some reason, they didn’t give us 12 points. What’s the matter I wonder? Hm, we should have reminded them of that, I fancy.

To tell you the truth, I am not a Eurovision fan. But yesternight I watched the show. Not sure, it was great, but not so bad. I voted for Serbia. They sang a fantastic song, no doubt. It was engraved upon my heart.

As for our performance (“The Song #1” by Serebro), it was rubbish. I don’t think we deserved the third place. I am not sure that the parade of faggots from the Ukraine deserved the second place either.

Because of the Bronze Soldier controversy and the following strain on the relations between Russia and Estonia, I didn’t expect the Estonians to give us 12 points. I was pleasantly surprised.

I think people give a damn because we want it to be a bit of innocent, pointless entertainment.
    Innocent, check. Pointless, check. But in what sense is it entertainment? You know, for people, e.g., who like music.

If someone said, for example, "would you like to come and see my holiday photos", and the alternative was Eurovision, wouldn't you be out the door like a shot?

Thread Information