Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scotland the Blaze, May 07: The aftermath

Re: Scotland the Blaze, May 07: The aftermath

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Someone had a nibble of my hot dog while I wasn't looking!
    Were you distracted by me feeling up Freudian Hips' pecs?

You must of been really hungry cause they didn't look that appealing. Though i suppose might be eattible with mustard, and ketchup.

My mind kept on going back to simpons with the hotdogs that Abu keeps completely out of date and only Homer eats them. I rather take my chances with BK

The weekend was brilliant. Fantastic to meet up with old friends and make some new ones.

domesticity
    The caravan may have been cold, but since I was only sleeping there, two duvets made it nice and snugly. {Disappointed that I got no offers of anyone to keep me warm } Limit on the number of keys was a bit of a pain.

The site is a family holiday park - and just because we were there didn't mean that other folk didn't have holidays. However it would have been nice if folk could have been clumped together as neighbours rather than spread throughout the park.
    On a related note, I liked the fact that the security checked your wrist band on the door every time you went in and out; added a level of 'comfort' to the weekend.

The venue was really good, although the contrast between floors in the two main rooms was quite dramatic (Ironically the second room was never better than when it closed on Sunday )
    The "Sack the DJ" room was a bit of an adventure to find, and could have done with some banners/advertising rollups (since it was open to the holiday makers as well). Seemingly the plan was to have it in the dining area which was just below the main room, but the craig-tara people re-organised things.

workshops
    The usual technical expertise I have come to expect from the workshops Franck puts on. I did notice a fondness for these 'triple step' dance forms, but glad to say I didn't dance with anyone who put them into their dancing {well, with the exception of Carla, but she is exceptional }

I did go to bed relatively early (3-4am) so that I could make it up for the 10am workshops,... not sure I remember much of them though
    Thank you especially to Amir who did stretches before his 10am workshop - very much appreciated

dancing
    The standard of followers was a dream - I don't think I had anyone back-leading*, noodle-arms or treacle responses. I had more dances over the weekend with people where we moved as one unit {rather than "lead.follow."} than I have ever had.
    (* there were a few hi-jacks and sabotages of course , but they were done with a smooth skill that made them part of the dance }

Thank you to everyone who danced with me And apologies to UP who tried to lead me.

music
    Only heard a couple of tracks repeated, and the mix was about spot on for the workshops and everything - a slight bias towards some swing and tangoesque stuff.
    To be perfectly honest I couldn't really distinguish between the DJ's that much - they were all playing tunes that I wanted to dance to

people
    If I was to thank everyone I wanted to personally for making it such a good weekend I may as well get the attendance list from Sheena and read it out.
    Special mention should go to Lemoncake
    {And public thanks to the other donations to the Gadget belly fund }

And another mention for the selection of party dresses that made such a pleasant distraction.

Roll on the next one
    {hmmm... smilie overload }

Blaze was my first experience of a cross channel Ceroc event and very enjoyable it was too! A good many of us folks from the Emerald Isle were quite mesmorised by the standard of the dancing. Ceroc has only been on the go in Belfast since January 2006 and Bangor March 2006, thus it will take a while before we reach the standard on display in Ayr, so please be patient with us both male and female alike during a dance.
    It was a great priviledge and pleasure to have a brief dance with Lorna (?) the teacher of the Musicality class on the Sunday afternoon, very enjoyable and helpful class.
    The only downside of the weekend were the caravans, the least said about those the better!
    And finally, some of our ladies had a few dances with a very talented guy, possibly from Scotland, on the Sunday afternoon, don't know his real name, but he was soon christened, 'Patrick Swayzee' by these particular females, who went home on the train and boat with big grins on their faces
    So to Franck and all the folks in Scotland thank you for the hard work.

Registered User Little Yellow Fish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Hans View Post
    Jealous??? Nah!!!! ... I was just pervin!!!!
    What was it you said again about being 20 years older ... ??

Lory visits Madame Tussauds......

Well, after lots of sleep and reflecting on this weekend, I'm ready to post

It was good, the end.

Well after organising everyone in my caravan and sorting out keys, I ended up being the one without a key! But thankfully Gadget and I had similar body clocks so we both ended up going to and from the venue together.

So off we went to the venue (the walk almost killed me!) to play, got a fantastic response from KillingTime ("JAMIE!!!!!!!!")... Closely followed by drathzel ("AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH") and LittleMonkey ("oOoohh ahhhHHAAH" - Monkey like impressions)...LYF looked disturbed bless her cotton socks.

The main room was the best room all weekend, as many people have said the blues room floor was terrible.

I learned them Fouette Pirouettes from Rebecca! Got Tornadod by Dan Got to throw fire round my head and ended up on the floor after a 'Tatiana' spin with Freya

The group orgy was lots of fun, Paul F, Rebecca and me won the cereal box game, we still have to finish that game guys!

Was also funny trying to explain the term "fletcherette" to Ben and Carla who were looking a bit puzzled when they saw my "I'm a Fletcherette" t-shirt!

Fab dance with Carla and a funny Rock-Paper-Scissors dance with Ben. Trampy threw me around to Candyman, after which I was completely knackered! Had a gentle dance with NessieMonster. A couple of fantastic dances with JiveAddicted. Lovely dances with both Dan and Rebecca. Nice dance with a slightly scared-looking Wuzzle! Special thanks to Isabelle and drathzel for my blues dances, you're both fantastic! Caro for the WCS! Nice dance with Franck & Sheena and Mr & Mrs Underpar! Freya for just being you hunny! Love ya!

Special thanks to FireFly for the Galaxy at the end of the night on Sunday!
    The last dance on Sunday was hilarious, the foto's on the forum with us all on the floor at the end!

Caravans were sleepable-in... if that makes sence, couldn't really tell a difference between Budget/Silver/Gold caravans other than random dog ornaments! oh - and random power failures if u decide to make toast!

Chubby Bunnys... Lets not start on that!

More special thanks to Dan and Rebecca for putting on a private fire show for me and Freya at the end of the weekend.

Can't wait for Blaze II... This was a fantastic weekend by Franck and Sheena & crew, I felt welcomed and felt fine travelling up on my own, I'd do it again, but Caz wants to come next time!

Probably forgot loads, will post when I remember!

Love to all

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    got a fantastic response from KillingTime ("JAMIE!!!!!!!!")... Closely followed by drathzel ("AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH") and LittleMonkey ("oOoohh ahhhHHAAH" - Monkey like impressions)...LYF looked disturbed bless her cotton socks.
    Had almost forgotten that! Hilarious!! We also shocked other random passers by when we did our usual monkey-shriek greetings.....

Ooooh, and I can't wait for Southport, so I can tickle you again!

Well here we go..

Thursday, Mrs Par Minnie M and I go to St Albans for a dance pre Blaze as we are staying in a travelodge near Stansted overnight. Had a cracking night at St Albans, Mick Wenger teaching and a cracking dance floor. Very friendly.

Friday. Up early drive to airport easy check-in ...meet up with Lory .. flight good managed a seat with leg room arrive Prestwick, quiet gin and tonic at Yates and a chat. A short wait until Franck picks us up and takes us to Craig Tara.

Beautiful scenery as to be expected on the west coast.

The whole of Craig Tara is buzzing with guests cerocers and loads of muggles .

lovely home made soup at "scrummy yummies" with Sharon, Lory and Lynda.

Get our keys and find we have a fabulous caravan. 100 yards from the venue.
    Heating in every room and large powerful shower. Worth paying for a Gold caravan except that there were no towells Spoke with reception who said i could catch a bus that could take me to the 24 hour Tescos!

a big thanks to Aleks and Azande for a loan of a couple of towells..

Go out Friday night loads of great dances and music to match.. floor in blues room not as good as main room but great seeing so many familiar faces.

Walk on the beach between rain showers. Nice walk but beach quite untidy.
    Saturday after getting absolutely fabby foot massage from Aleks Mrs Par and I were wandering around getting together bits for tartan theme in the afternoon when Amir approaches. " Hello what are you doing?" "we're going to our caravan."
    " Oh! I need a demo for my class" Sharon open mouthed said nothing ! long pause! " She'll do it! When is it? " " 40 minutes."

Mrs Par well chuffed got to do the jango lesson as the demo.

Then another chance meeting with Amir and Mrs Par whisked off to video the lesson for the Blaze DVD.

Saturday night another great nights dancing.

As Franck and Tiggerbabe were so busy I said I would arrange a little after dance party for them.
    It was going along quite nicely at about 4 am when I decided to make some toast. Blew all the electrics/fuse and spent the next four hours lit by the rising sun.

Chubby Bunnies , Zip Bop and cereal boxes were the order of the night
    Some very stretchy, supple bodies, well done to Rebecca, Jamie and Paul F
    To those that left us at 0830 and went on to have breakfast

Sunday woke up 3 pm.

Got out earlier about 8 after a chinese noodle meal. Bit quiet to start with.
    Had a dance with Gadget and another with LM in the Blues room before it was closed and everyone moved to the main room. A wise decision as a number of dancers had left early. The atmostphere in the room was great. loads of great chilled music from the Djs.

Finally got a chance to dance with Sheena She and Franck had been so busy they weren't able to get on the dancefloor much.

Then due to a variety of circumstances..misreading the time on Sharons watch, running out of dry shirts, and tiredness we left earlier than we wanted on sunday night and missed out on some of the fun although we had a great time.

Monday was the nicest day weather wise .. we had a late flights so we used the left luggage place and went to Ayr for the day shopping (well Minnie M and Mrs Par did. )

I tried to give Franck the box of eggs he asked me to buy for him on Saturday but he refused repeatedly..

At the airport Minnie M introduced us to baby Aston and Linda Ellard and we managed again to get a seat with leg room.

Russell and Elaine were on the following flight but some how managed to land in London before us ..

Ryan air produced our bags in treble quick time and then we considered stopping off at Twickenham on the way home but the lure of my bed made us pass it up.

Big big thankyou to Franck and Sheena for putting on the event.

There were a few teething problems with checking in and some of the caravans.. I don't think sack the dj worked as well as at other weekenders..as said by others it would have been nice to have all the dancers in one community of caravans.. i think Franck and Sheena and all the crew worked their socks off and deserve loads of credit but it may be that the crewing levels need to increase.
    Franck and Sheena are stars in their own right and should be out their all weekend dancing, meeting and greeting their customers and doing a little less behind the scenes.

I'm sure many of these points have been covered by others and that F & S will have noted the feedback.

I will definitely be back and look forward to as many laughs and dances

Ch####y B#####s

Quote Originally Posted by Little Yellow Fish View Post
    What was it you said again about being 20 years older ... ??
    What? About you're being too much for an old and weak heart , then makin' away with all my millions???

.... Nope, can't remember!!

So finally i get around to posting on the weekend!!

I had a fantastic time overall i didnt dance all that much really but it was just nice to sit and watch a lot of the time and i was'nt exactly feeling on it with my dancing. I couldnt belive the amount of people there who could west coast so well it kinda knocked me a little as ive not jumped on that bandwagon yet!

The best night had to be sunday night for me i got there just as the blues room closed but then got the whole of marc's and sheepmans sets which were fantastic and i got a good hour or so of sheena's set which was amazing too! And by the sunday night i was up for some playing about after the hi-jacking the connection class which was brilliant learnt a hell of a lot but also had a good laugh while learning!! I also got my first dances with Jamie on the sunday night!! Wow is all i can say being that close to his spins left me astounded!! Im now very jealous that i cant move like that!

Saturday night ive got to say was a bit of a disappointment for me i was expecting a lot more tartan. Tho i loved Tess' set in the main room just the right level of funk for my liking.

Witty i dont think i have ever laughed so hard after seeing the look on your face (i just wish it hadnt have been so cold out!!)

I loved the caravan's ours was huge we even had a double bed that was vaguely comfy and another room for changing in the gas fire was great once we figured out how to turn it on. Well worth the money paid.

So a big thankyou to Franck and Sheena for putting it all on and another big thankyou to everyone who danced with me :-)

M

Quote Originally Posted by jiveaddicted View Post

Witty i dont think i have ever laughed so hard after seeing the look on your face (i just wish it hadnt have been so cold out!!)
    that was just way funny

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    that was just way funny
    That it was tho i wasnt expecting you to be that eager for a look!! :-)

M

In my attempt to reduce carbon footprints etc we opted for the train rather than flying – a mistake as we had problems both ways. A delayed train meant missing out on the Friday night, opting to go straight to bed. However, getting good sleep on night 1 and day 3 set us up for the rest of the weekend (the best sleep I’ve ever had at a wkender). Nights 2 and 3 were late ones – one of the last to bed on both.

Only managed Trampy’s class (which was fab). I would have liked to have done many more but, like others, my preferences were for the early classes, and that wasn’t ever going to happen! Tiggerbabe did suggest going to Amir’s class straight after the party at UP’s but breakfast and bed won out (not sure how well received I would have been turning up 10am Sunday morning in Saturday night’s clothes with the distinct aroma of wine).

Re the caravan: We went for gold, but I’m not sure if it was any different to anyone else’s by the sounds of it. Great to spread out though.

Re the venue: For me it had great positives when compared to other weekenders (e.g. caravans rather than apartments, the scenery, the bar staff), but sharing the site, and being such a small part of it was strange for me - I felt a bit like the other holidaymakers would think of us as some bizarre cult, and TBH the snob in me came to the surface a few times (I’ve seen the whole arcade thing at the other resorts but it’s worse when busy!) At one point Dan and I felt we had to ask a little girl to stop ripping a tree apart (until I saw her father on his way over!).

Re the rooms: As suggested, if it could be arranged for the boudoir to be in the same building next time I think it would make a big difference. I personally preferred the temporary flooring as I seem to have soles like glass!

(Warning, mushiness to follow):

Overall, when looking back at Blaze my over-riding memory is of laughter. The relaxed, friendly and welcoming attitude of the whole weekend (the tone very much set by Franck and Sheena) was what made it for me. Having not danced much recently I had my usual anxieties to begin with, and when I mucked up a couple of WCS follows on Saturday afternoon I was a bit despondent, but Saturday night was awesome, and by the time the Sunday-night-dream-state set in I was on Cloud 9.

Thank you to all who led me so beautifully and mindfully – there were too many wonderful experiences to mention individually. A final thank you to forumites who before I had considered fabulous associates but now I consider friends. So looking forward to seeing you at Southport.

(end mush)

The group orgy was lots of fun, Paul F, Rebecca and me won the cereal box game, we still have to finish that game guys!
    Now there's an invitation!

More special thanks to Dan and Rebecca for putting on a private fire show for me and Freya at the end of the weekend.
    You're very welcome And big for having a go, despite all the shivering.

P.S. Dan has some fab photo's to share. I'll try to remember to upload them next week (no internet at home)

Well Hello there, My Scottish Friends!

I must say, you guys have a really active forum and it is interesting reading so many reports about the weekender, amongst other things as well.

I think I am finally recovered from Jet Lag and lack of sleep, but managed to come down with a bit of a cold

Anyway, back to the main topic here, as I seem to easily digress.
    First of all, it was really a unique experience for me attending this workshop weekend and I mean that in a most positive way.

I met some wonderful individuals and had a blast dancing.
    Thank you for being so welcoming and for letting us Lindy folk share your dance floor

Thanks to all the leaders who let me triple step to my heart's content too.

The Good:
    Meeting new people and having super fun dances!
    Opening up my perspective about dancing
    The venue was nice and I liked all the open space.
    So many people attending a variety of workshops!

The Mediocre:
    The walk to and from our cabin. I should have brought a coat!
    Normally, I really like going for walks, but was terrible at remembering to pack warm things!
    The available food for vegetarians and people who can not eat dairy products *me*

The Bad:
    Never enough time to sleep and meet new people at these weekend events!
    Never enough time to dance with more people before the plane takes off for the US.
    My aching feet!
    The lack of SOAP in the Women's restroom. I am glad I had my own hand sanitizer with me.
    Watching Ben eat mostly hot dogs and donuts all weekend long

Hope all of you lovely dancers are doing well and perhaps we will meet again on a dance floor somewhere in the world!!!

all the best
    Carla Heiney

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    Watching Ben eat mostly hot dogs and donuts all weekend long
    nothing wrong with that! I lived on donuts this weekend! They were warm and freshly made and ever so tempting! I couldnt walk past!

Quote Originally Posted by Carla View Post
    {snip review}
    Carla Heiney
    how cool is this to have you posting on here ???

I have to say I was impressed at how you and Ben stayed and danced with the rest of us until the early hours.

You are both so inspiring...

oh and the cabaret...

It's about time I posted some feedback, I guess!

Fab weekend ..... mostly, in part, due to friendly Scots, and real easy-going relaxed atmosphere.

It was odd to come on site and see loads of families and kids about. At Southport, there's generally about 5 or 6 maybe!

Personally, I liked it that everything was open, and there was more (or certainly a different) energy about the place. It means that a family could come along, and enjoy the weekend, even if one of the partners doesn't dance! [Maybe Franck can introduce family tickets where not all the participants have a dance ticket?]

As far as accommodation goes, I thought that the caravans were lovely! Better than the chalets, and far better than the Southport accommodation (not that that's so important for me). I get the point about the cold though. Again, I was ok, but bricks and mortar will always be a better defence against the cold than thin metal or those chalet walls.

As far as workshops go, I didn't really go to many ... watched a few though. [Missed the connection hijacking, which looked good]

Workshops: it's a tricky one. Some fab teachers .... some dancers who refused to pull out when the going was too tough (in my opinion). I'm not sure about the Lindy teaching. Lovely to have them there, but was there both the demand and the required level of ability to make best use of them?

Dancing - was absolutely fabulous. The extra dance space tiles worked really well, I thought, and far better than the MDF board or whatever it is at Southport, even though it's a bit spongy.

Shame I had to leave Monday morning, next time I'll plan for a longer Sunday night! Having said that, I had a fab few dances on Sunday. On with Nottingham Alex, Suzy from Manchester .... and Lorraine from Belfast was a highlight that will fade only after many years! [Lorraine .... I think I want to marry you!! ]

Great to meet Mr and Mrs Parr .... what a charming couple, and to reconnect with some of the London lot.

Someone (who I cannot remember) said something about dance events sometimes being quite superficial .... ie arrive, then dance after dance after dance, then departing. Mind I think that I certainly have been quite guilty of that.

So ... my two insights from the weekend are .... sit and chat a little!! ... makes the event involved (and sociable) ...... and ..... the music is more important to the dance event than I thought [I always thought it important ... but not /that/ important!

Well done Franck and crew ..... I'm sure you've made some mistakes this time through, and I'm equally sure that the next one will be better .... if not bigger!!

Omnipresent Administrator Franck's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now that I've had the chance to catch up on some sleep, I wanted to thank everyone who made it to the first ever Blaze week-ender. I have read all your feedback and can assure you that we are already working on fixing the bits that didn't work so well and improving further the great bits too!

Overall for me, the week-end was made by everyone who was there, you are an incredible bunch of people and without the glamorous visitors, famous Scottish hospitality, friendliness and great dancing, the week-end wouldn't have been half as good. So big to all of you and thanks for everyone who hugged Sheena or myself over the week-end, it made a huge difference.

I too loved the Sunday night, but mostly because finally I had the chance to dance... I'm sorry for all the promised dances I didn't get to return, I'll do better at Blaze II.

To address some of the points raised:

- Sheena and I will be more available next time, we needed to be involved at ground level for the first one so we could appreciate all the work involved, but we'll make sure we have more crew on duty for future events.

- The timetable of classes will be improved and re-shuffled to allow the more challenging classes to be later in the day.

- We will bring the Boudoir in the same building (Restaurant) to avoid mixing with the 'muggles' and easier access with better directions.

- Check-in will be improved too, with more staff on duty, and better signs / directions for late arrivals (after 9.00pm).

- Whilst we were a bit unlucky with the weather (first week-end of rain in 2 months in Scotland!), I know some of you will be worried about October, so I'm purchasing fan heaters which will be available for hire at future Blaze events. Gold caravans and Silver appartments come with heating in the rooms, so might be a better solution for anyone sensitive to the cold. Remember, gas & electricity are included in all levels of accommodation, making our week-ender great value.

It was fantastic to see all of you, and I cannot thank you enough for helping us make this first week-end a success!
    I would like to specifically thank everyone who worked over the week-end, whether at the desk, teaching, setting up sound & light, at the decks, providing massages and filming for the DVD which is of brilliant quality and a good way to appreciate the line-up of teachers we had at the week-end.

Roll on Blaze II with more and better, let's keep the fire burning...
    Franck.

There's an A.P.P. for that!

Thread Information