Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Scotland the Blaze, May 07: The aftermath

Taxi Dancer

Re: Scotland the Blaze, May 07: The aftermath

Thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend, even if the Cuban Blues class was a bit of a blur due to too much grape juice being consumed. Having bought the dvd and looking forward to watching the showcases again, it was a bit disappointing to say the least that Ben and Carla's grand finale was spoiled by the camera angle, with it finishing behind a pillar. (Can showcasers and cameraman have a rehearsal next time so that it doesn't happen again please). To those who felt a bit cold due to the lack of heating in their accommodation, came across this little ditty recently -

A wee Glesga wumman went intae a butchershop, where the butcher has just came oot the freezer, and was standing with his haunds ahint his back, and his bum aimed at an electric fire.

The wee wumman checked oot the display case then asked, "Is that yer Ayrshire bacon?" "Naw," replied the butcher. "It's jist ma haun's ah'm heatin'."

Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    {snip all the bits that weren't so good that are going to get fixed}
    I have to say, that's listening to your customers

Sounds like it's going to be a hell of a weekender... I'm already looking forward to it.

PS: Although I'm curious for this one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Franck View Post
    - We will bring the Boudoir in the same building (Restaurant) to avoid mixing with the 'muggles' and easier access with better directions.
    sounds like a great idea (enable us to walk back and forth from workshops to dancing all afternoon if we want), but having had a couple of breakfasts in there, creating an atmosphere suitable for a bit of blues dancing might be a challenge....
    Impossible n'est pas Francais, though

Mrs Pretzelmeister

Ok so it's taken me over a week to come to this but thought I'd put some thoughts down anyway...

This being my first full weekender I didn't know quite what to expect although sleep wasn't high on the list! I think I managed to do ok on that front but only at the cost of missing workshops I was keen to do. I had to sacrifice them though because I knew that if I tried to do everything I'd end up burnt out, grouchy and not enjoying myself.

Caravan: We booked a budget 3 bed for six to share. Cosy but not unbearably so (although this may not be the opinion of those in the minute twin rooms!). I was pleased with the modernity of the place, good cooker, excellent level of cleanliness. We were missing some bed linen but even at 2am there was a security guard available to get us some more. The heaters were straightforward to use and all worked (AFAIK). Having been warned in advance not to bring a toaster we managed to keep our power all weekend The existence of only two keys for a caravan of 6 was a frustrating nuisance.

Classes: Did half a class, watched one. Would have liked to do/watch more. Slightly hampered by having another engagement on the Saturday afternoon but more so by the classes I wanted to do being on at 10am. As a newcomer to the weekender experience I wondered what the urgency is to have something available to do nearly 24 hours a day - we're not robots and do need SOME sleep at least! Particularly if we're going to be any use in a class, absorb the words of wisdom and learn anything of value, rather than feeling zombified. Teachers of that quality deserve full, alert attention. Given that dancing went on til the wee small hours would it have ruined anyone's weekend to have classes starting at noon? If the entire teaching schedule had been moved back by 2 hours and that bit of late afternoon/early evening freestyle lost, would anyone really have noticed? I'd like to be able to dance til the end of freestyle and enjoy that unique atmosphere but ALSO to learn new stuff, not feel like it's an either/or situation. Also I agree with the issue raised elsewhere about experience levels - that's partly why I left halfway through the class I was in. Being led by people too inexperienced to master the more complicated stuff actually gets uncomfortable. This is accentuated in class environment where the move is done over and over. Please don't think that I think I'm amazingly good, I don't, but it is a more pronounced problem when the leader is below the required standard (good leads being better able to lead a less experienced follower than when levels are reversed).

Freestyle: I'm a fussy madam for music but even I had enough to keep me entertained and having new things introduced is good (even if I decide I don't like them!). Fab dances with lots of people, both new and old acquaintances. I shuttled between main and blues rooms (never found the Boudoir for Sack The DJ, sorry ). Sunday evening was a bit heavy going to start with for an end of weekend winding-down evening but brilliant later on. Although the blues room was closed for lack of interest earlier on the main room got almost too busy for comfort about 10.30pm-midnight, so perhaps a greater degree of flexibility would have helped - could the blues room have been reopened?

Lowlights:
    • Pouring rain / general chill (in my excitement I forgot to pack any jeans so spent whole weekend in swirly skirts - fun but not the warmest!)
    • Having a miserable sniffly cold all weekend

Highlights:
    • Particular to Gus for a dance to Pump It that rivalled my favourite instances of dancing to that track. Even more so for the fact that it came straight after 'Whaddaya Want' - was the DJ trying to give us all heart failure?!
    • Feeling small (as in not tall) dancing with Mr UP
    • Lots of fab massages from McJester, Gadget & MagicHans
    • Watching Elaine dancing in an exquisitely swirly chocolate-brown dress (I went through the other side of skirt envy into pure adoration)
    • Bacon & avocado pita pockets at 5am on Sunday
    • Lots of happy cake-eaters

I'm sure there's more but can't think of it now. Thanks to Franck & Sheena for working their (Ceroc orange) socks off to give us a fab weekend!

LC

Quote Originally Posted by LemonCake
    ..........Lots of happy cake-eaters

thank you

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Just out of interest, does anyone know anything about where the official photographer's shots can be found on the web? Or are they not available yet?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Tessalicious View Post
    Just out of interest, does anyone know anything about where the official photographer's shots can be found on the web? Or are they not available yet?
    She told me at the time it could be a few weeks...

Looking forward to the photos of my Sack the DJ slot.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Thread Information