Thread: First Move Variation help...can you identify it?

First Move Variation help...can you identify it?

Probably of very minor interest to everyone but me, but it's been bugging me, and if I can't ask trivial, nit-picking questions here, then where can I?

Basically, it's a First Move variation that I've seen a guy doing at Freestyles. It looks kind of like a Penguin Walk (and I've heard him refer to it as a Two-step or Three-step). Basically, after a First Move, you end up facing the lady and leading sideways, to your left. Then (I think) it sort of changes, so that you move back and then change direction, before repeating the move in a different direction (looks like about 90 degrees of change.) It has the feel (again, though I can't be sure) of a basic Rock n Roll step (slow, slow, quick, quick).

Anyway, if anyone can help, muchos gracias.

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Re: First Move Variation help...can you identify it?

First Move Walk Through

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    First Move Walk Through
    Aha! Do you have a link to a write-up of it?

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Aha! Do you have a link to a write-up of it?

1. Step back.

2. Step in.

3. Men as you twist the lady out to the side

4. Men, pivot round 180 degrees to face the lady taking your left hand to your left hip and pulling her forward with your right hand. The ladys puts her right foot between your legs and you step back with your left foot.

&.. Men, step back right foot and the ladies step forward left foot

5. Men, step back left foot . Ladies, step back right foot . Finish in exactly the same way as the first move.

6. To the shoulder.

7. Turn

8. back.

9. Return .

10.Back.

1. Step back.

2. Step in.

4. Men, pivot round 180 degrees to face the lady taking your left hand to your left hip and pulling her forward with your right hand. The ladys puts her right foot between your legs and you step back with your left foot.

5. Men, step back left foot . Ladies, step back right foot . Finish in exactly the same way as the first move.

6. To the shoulder.

7. Turn

8. back.

9. Return .

10.Back.
    Nice one! I will try it out tonight!

This move sometimes starts to go wrong at this point (step 4) because the men end up with the men in an over wide stance and have both of the ladys feet between the mans which makes it difficult for him to step back on his right without the lady standing on him.

If you have trouble with the description that Drathzel has given try this and see if it works better.

2. As you both step together side to side make sure your right hand goes to the womans left shoulder blade (under her arm). If you try to lead the rest of the move with your hand on her waist it will be more difficult.

3. As you twist your woman out and you step with left foot back to mirror her (often called the open first move position) take weight off your front (right) foot and move to infront of and sligtly past the womans left foot. You need to do this now so that when you do the next bit your right foot will be between the ladies feet.

You now turn on your right foot 180 degrees to face your partner as you use your right hand on the ladies shoulder blade to lead her to step forward on her right foot between your feet. You should be very close now. Your weight should be on your left foot and hers should be on her right. Keeping your right hand fixed in its position turn yourself 90 degrees to your right. Your lady will go with you.

From several fairly in-depth descriptions, it seems that I do this all the time - the main problem I find is normally with the timeing rather than the pivoting:

Step1: lead an in and out.

Step2: keep hands fixed from body and step in/out with the follower to lead the same movement.

It's this fixed distance from your partner and moving with them that makes the move work. The only real difference is that instead of a 2 handed parallel hold, you are in a "ballroom" hold. The 'first move' bit is simply a convenient way to get into the ballroom hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    It has the feel (again, though I can't be sure) of a basic Rock n Roll step (slow, slow, quick, quick).
    The "First Move Walk Through" drathzel mentioned has a different timing: giving a a (quick, quick, quick, quick) feel. The move you're referring would probably be referred to as a "Travelling First Move Basic", or possibly a "Slow First Move Walk Through". In swing dances, where it comes from, it would be called a "Closed Basic" or a "Jockey".

We had a lovely 1st move variation last night:
    Step out,
    step in,
    swing the lady out,
    swing her back in front, positioning your right hand on her left shoulder blade
    pull the lady to your left, get her to travel clockwise under your left arm finishing by facing each other holding you left / lady right hand on your left hand side
    Pull and turn your lady clockwise in front of you not letting go of your left hand and when she blocked herself offer your right hand
    lady has to get her left arm over the right arm to be ready to get hold of the man's right hand
    at this point man let go with the left hand continuing to turn the lady and finish up in the exact opposite position with step back rock forward
    do a couple of travelling cha-chas changing hands on the cha-cha
    when you decide that you had enough cha-chas (holding your lady with your right hand) pull your lady under your right arm into ... anything, really, at this point - catapult, I think, was the preferred way to finish it.

We learned one last week that sounds very similar to your description above and the teacher called it "The Penguin" or "1st move Penugin"

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Marmite View Post
    We learned one last week that sounds very similar to your description above and the teacher called it "The Penguin" or "1st move Penugin"
    Well, the 1st part is "1st move underarm", but what the wrap in front is called, I honestly don't know...

Thread Information