• I prefer Amir and Cat

22 91.67%
  • Give me a broom stick anyday.

2 8.33%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Mary Poppins v Amir and Cat - the people decide

Re: Mary Poppins v Amir and Cat - the people decide

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    OK - so explain to me why you think what Phil and Alex did was a cabaret and not a showcase - in detailed and convincing terms: because in my mind you have no way of defining that.

And before you start I will AGAIN explain that their dancing WAS a showcase of MJ moves, WAS a showcase of some difficult aerial moves, WAS a showcase of synchronized partner dancing, WAS a showcase of beautifully danced and technically challenging choreography....

If all you got is that they wore costumes, had props and had a narrative then you just know I'm not going to accept that, because these just served to enhance what they did - in fact they helped to 'display their dancing to the best effect' (see below).

Phil and Alex fulfilled ALL the criteria that the rules set out - so you can all it whatever you like. At the end of the day they entered a competition, and created a routine that was Creative, Technically demanding, Beautifully danced, Synchronized to perfection and that was entertaining in a way that engaged the audience.
    In fact, exactly what the definition of 'Showcase' is:

'A performance or exhibit highlighting the work of a performer or group of performers'

'To display prominently, especially to advantage' '

...a setting in which something can be displayed to best effect'

Aren't we all bored of this now?

Oh dear....you got a bee in your bonnet about this one havnt you!
    I thought on this forum we are entitled to our own opinion ....apparently not!

Bored now

Quote Originally Posted by angelblue View Post
    Oh dear....you got a bee in your bonnet about this one havnt you!
    I thought on this forum we are entitled to our own opinion ....apparently not!

Bored now
    Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but whether it's worth anything or not would be based on how you back it up.

I said I was bored first!

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    .....But you want to be inspired, if you dream of dancing like you have never danced before and reaching the stars, if dancing is a personal journey of discovery to reach the infinite - do NOT go near these places. Inspiration is NOT on the Judges list (Musicality, Technical difficulty, Creativity, Dance Ability, Presentation).
    's funny, you would have thought that if a dance met all the criteria as listed above that it would, by definition, be inspiring. I certainly thought it was (and I think you may have picked up that I'm not easy to please.. )

A&C did some Tango, and very good it was too, but lets not get carried away here - it's not going to save the planet..

... So the moral of the story would appear to be -
    If you want to be entertained, go to see the Champs or other competitions. But you want to be inspired, if you dream of dancing like you have never danced before and reaching the stars, if dancing is a personal journey of discovery to reach the infinite - do NOT go near these places. ...
    Sorry, but that is nonsense. I do not go to an art gallery to see who "won", and almost certainly would not go if all that was on view was the "winner".

The real prize for a showcase is being able to be there and being able to do it.

More than one artist has shown to the judges and to the crowd to be treated with disdain, but for those who do and those who knew history has been the arbiter.

This is one reason that I want Ceroc to own the copyright of their champs videos. One day people will want to see the history of MJ, and of its "artists".

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    i think Amir is beter than a broomstick. There I've said it. Ill take the consequences.

As i walked into Jango last night my first thought was that Cat obviously doesn`t think so... Cat walking into the dance hall with none other than broomstick in hand ....luckily for us the poor broomstick was put away and replaced by Amir who then with Cat then took us through another inspiring class....

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Of course you're entitled to your opinion, but whether it's worth anything or not would be based on how you back it up.

I said I was bored first!
    ok we will call a truce x

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    Sorry, but that is nonsense. I do not go to an art gallery to see who "won", and almost certainly would not go if all that was on view was the "winner".

The real prize for a showcase is being able to be there and being able to do it.

More than one artist has shown to the judges and to the crowd to be treated with disdain, but for those who do and those who knew history has been the arbiter.

Sorry, I did not make myself too clear on that.

By saying " Do NOT go near these places" i.e. the competitions, I mean - Do not expect to see the "Inspirational" pieces be given full credit for that, Inspiration is not on the judges card, you will be disappointed with the official results, you will be upset, you will start threads on the Forum, you will question the results, you will be disrespectful to some performers.

I do not condone the treatment of any artist with disdain. If some dancers feel they have to do that, ask yourself why? the why is the disappointment, the let down, the clumsy lashout.

Rocky can say that the 5 criteria used for judging are all encompassing. That may be true for some of the categories, but Showcase .... i think not, there is something missing. Only my opinion.

Last edited by Raul; 11th-May-2007 at 11:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angelblue View Post
    ok we will call a truce x

Sorry, I did not make myself too clear on that..
    Me neither, there is a lot of it about.

By saying " Do NOT go near these places" i.e. the competitions, I mean - Do not expect to see the "Inspirational" pieces be given full credit for that, Inspiration is not on the judges card,
    We are in accord. True inspiration is not on anybody's card, except that of the creator. That is why we venerate great artists. We find something that extends the boundaries, or even breaks them.

... I do not condone the treatment of any artist with disdain. If some dancers feel they have to do that, ask yourself why? the why is the disappointment, the let down, the clumsy lashout...
    No-ones child is ugly, they are just unique.

Rocky can say that the 5 criteria used for judging are all encompassing. That may be true for some of the categories, but Showcase .... i think not, there is something missing. Only my opinion.
    A category is a limitation, it cannot be all encompassing. The measure of emotion is not transferrable. Seeing a first move executed perfectly may inspire one judge, whilst another is thinking that the music called for a Basket. We have to learn to accept the performances for what they do to us, and reject the judges opinions of them, unless we are trophy hunters. It is only the trophy hunters that worry so much about rules.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdjiver View Post
    A category is a limitation, it cannot be all encompassing. The measure of emotion is not transferrable. Seeing a first move executed perfectly may inspire one judge, whilst another is thinking that the music called for a Basket. We have to learn to accept the performances for what they do to us, and reject the judges opinions of them, unless we are trophy hunters. It is only the trophy hunters that worry so much about rules.
    Very true - at the end of the day non of it really matters except what the individual gets from it - and that applies to both competitors and spectators alike.

The judging and the politics are all irrelevant, it's about how the moment speaks to each of us.

I can see how trophies are important to some people, but the journey and the performance should be their own reward. (Of course I don't subscribe to that as possibly the most competitive person that ever lived - but it's easy to say from the outside... )

Bristol and sometimes on another planet entirely

Quote Originally Posted by Cruella View Post
    I've seen both of these 'showcases' a few times now, including sundays performances. I don't really think it is appropriate to have to choose between them. It's the same as choosing between watching The Royal Ballet perform Swan Lake and a top West End Show such as Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. Two completely different nights out. Amir and Cats performance was moving and beautiful to watch. Whereas Phil and Alex make me smile and want to sing along. Both performances are worthy of our utmost respect as to what can be achieved with a lot of hard work. Surely (as discussed in another thread) it is just an example towards the argument of maybe instead of a team cabaret and a showcase catagory, there is a cabaret catagory for couples or teams and a showcase catagory for the same. Cabaret would incorporate the Alex and Phil's and Thriller type performances. Whereas the Showcase would have the more 'pure dance' performances such as Amir and Cat, Phil and Yuko, Jango Team....
    Both Phil and Alex and Amir and Cat's performances were superb - but how on earth the judges compare the two for 'marking' I will never know. In my opinion if judging on technicality and sheer elegance and precise footwork, Amir and Cat would be the winners, and Phil and Alex would win on a pure entertainment value as in a West End Show (that's not to say Phil and Alex were not dancing well also) but maybe it is time to have two separate categories for showcases / cabarets ? Showcases being couples showing all their 'best' moves and Cabarets being couples 'entertaining / telling a story.

Respect to both couples - ALL true professionals at whatever they ALL do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiky Steve View Post
    As the only current vote for the broomstick I wanted to explain my vote.

I like fun. I would see a musical over a serious dance performance.

Spiky Steve
    Respect to both
    Not sure if's it's cricket to quote oneself.

I have changed my vote. I had a think and not really in a position vote. One I didn't watch Mary Poppins although I did see them at Blackpool and two double trouble had to follow Amir and Cat and being very nervous and getting ready mentally none of it sunk in . Apologies to both.

In hindsight with my comment on musical over serous dance. I have been dying to see "Burn the Floor" who refuse to return to anywhere near. These would be my first choice so this week my vote is for the Tango .

Steve

Thread Information