Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Cameras what’s the point ?

Speed Cameras what’s the point ?

I’m sorry its an old thread but I thought id start it again as times move on and things change

I’ve driven extensively in the USA and generally people don’t speed ,if you speed you get caught. Nice police officer pulls you over ,reads your UK licence and fines you

In the UK people speed all the time so cameras don’t work

Going up the A41 yesterday (60mph limit) I saw cars must be going 90mph + at least 15mph faster then I was going

You know how its goes see a speed camera and break sharply (which is dangerous). The famous M40 one !

What I want to know is where are the Police ??

I’ve said before im generally anti cameras , out side schools real accident hot spots etc However mainly there cash generating cows (e.g. average speed 40mph on M1 etc)

I tend to ignore them and they go away , most people pay if caught which allows some people to ignore them

If the police nicked all the 110mph nuts and allowed the nice 80mph people to get on with their business the roads would be a safer place ? I saw a fruit cake kid must be doing 70mph along 40mph road in Hemel the other, no way would he get away with that in the USA

Re: Speed Cameras what’s the point ?

Twenty's plenty.

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    I’ve driven extensively in the USA and generally people don’t speed
    My experience here in Atlanta is that folks consistently drive faster than the speed limits. Average speed on the interstates here is probably 75mph, whereas they have a 55mph limit.

In France you can drive at 85mph on the motorway in the dry. If it starts to rain the limit drops to 75mph. I think it's a good system, although like all laws in France, this too seems to be a mere suggestion

Speed limits are more important around accident black-spots. By putting a speed camera ("safety camera") in these places, hopefully it can cut the number of accidents.

Sure, not all speed camera are in accident black-spots, but then there are others reasons to have them.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    although like all laws in France, this too seems to be a mere suggestion
    you understand France perfectly well

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    My experience here in Atlanta is that folks consistently drive faster than the speed limits. Average speed on the interstates here is probably 75mph, whereas they have a 55mph limit.
    I simply don't buy S38's assertion that everyone keeps to the speed limit in the US, it's not my experience from the holidays I've had over there.

Big news story when I was in LA about someone almost splitting a Ferrari in two hitting a telegraph pole while doing in excess of 150 on PCH.

Is it coincidence that road injuries and deaths are significantly down since speed cameras came onto the scene?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    Is it coincidence that road injuries and deaths are significantly down since speed cameras came onto the scene?
    I imagine it's difficult to prove, because car safety has also improved a lot during the same time - many more cars have better NCAP crash safety ratings, and safety features like ABS, multiple airbags etc.
    Love dance, will travel

I simply don't buy S38's assertion that everyone keeps to the speed limit in the US, it's not my experience from the holidays I've had over there.

Big news story when I was in LA about someone almost splitting a Ferrari in two hitting a telegraph pole while doing in excess of 150 on PCH.

In the 10,000 or so miles ive driven in USA inc Atlanta its just a subjective opinion based on fact
    ----------------------------------
    Minnesota trooper writes 205 mph speeding ticket
    WABASHA, Minn. (AP) — With a State Patrol airplane overhead, a Stillwater motorcyclist hit the throttle and possibly set the informal record for the fastest speeding ticket in Minnesota history: 205 mph.
    --------------------------------------

there is no evidence speed camera save lifes in fact the opposite

As a newcomer to driving, my experience is obviously limited. However, it's clear that sticking to the speed limit here is not the norm for many people. Speed limits are there for a reason, and are legally binding. If someone doesn't agree with them, then they should campaign to have them changed rather than simply breaking them and putting everyone else at risk. That's just arrogance.

You know how its goes see a speed camera and break sharply (which is dangerous). The famous M40 one !

What I want to know is where are the Police ??
    I can't understand why there are warnings about the presence of speed cameras, and those white lines on the road which mark the point where you aren't supposed to exceed the limit or you'll have your pic taken. Why help the speeders? It almost implies that the speed limit only applies to that part of the road and as S38 says, it causes sharp breaking, and then presumably speeding off again. Take away the hints - we are supposed to be driving within the speed limits, therefore shouldn't need these warnings.

As for the value of speed cameras themselves, I really don't know. But yes, more police might also deter. But then police are expensive - who is going to foot the bill?

The Dashing Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    I can't understand ~SNIP~those white lines on the road which mark the point where you aren't supposed to exceed the limit
    Probably depends on the type of speed camera, but for the most common ones round here, the white lines are required to make the pictures taken by the camera usable.

The local cameras have a series of white lines like the edge of a big ruler, and they do the same job, because they allow the police to measure the distance travelled between the two photos taken by the camera. Because the two photos are taken a set time apart, if you know how far someone went (by lookng at the white lines), you can measure their speed.
    Love dance, will travel

You know how its goes see a speed camera and break sharply (which is dangerous).
    Oo, I meant to say yesterday I agree that breaking is dangerous, no matter what you break.

Except bread, I suppose, breaking bread is OK.

And molds; 'breaking the mold' is usually a compliment.

'Breaking with tradition' - opinions differ, I guess. A traditionalist would probably think that was dangerous.

'Breaking up' - hmm, well that's just hard to do...
    Last edited by Barry Shnikov; 10th-May-2007 at 01:43 PM.

there is no evidence speed camera save lifes in fact the opposite
    Don't be silly, of course there's evidence that speed cameras save lives. I accept that there's no proof,

As a newcomer to driving, my experience is obviously limited. However, it's clear that sticking to the speed limit here is not the norm for many people. Speed limits are there for a reason, and are legally binding. If someone doesn't agree with them, then they should campaign to have them changed rather than simply breaking them and putting everyone else at risk. That's just arrogance.

I can't understand why there are warnings about the presence of speed cameras, and those white lines on the road which mark the point where you aren't supposed to exceed the limit or you'll have your pic taken. Why help the speeders? It almost implies that the speed limit only applies to that part of the road and as S38 says, it causes sharp breaking, and then presumably speeding off again. Take away the hints - we are supposed to be driving within the speed limits, therefore shouldn't need these warnings.

As for the value of speed cameras themselves, I really don't know. But yes, more police might also deter. But then police are expensive - who is going to foot the bill?

How many times to you break the speed limit each day ? 100 ?

If you happy to have 40mph on derserted roads on the M1 at 3am (average speed cameras) then no argument will reach you over cash generating cows
    Last edited by stewart38; 10th-May-2007 at 01:46 PM.

Don't be silly, of course there's evidence that speed cameras save lives. I accept that there's no proof,
    I think you'll find that it's driving within the speed limits that saves lives... the speed cameras are an incentive to do that (well, the incentive is to not actually get fined or points on your license).

Pedantic enough for you?

How many times to you break the speed limit each day ? 100 ?

If you happy to have 40mph on derserted roads on the M1 at 3am (average speed cameras) then no argument will reahc you
    I'll tell you when I've done it - haven't even been on a motorway yet! So I will probably be quite happy driving at 40mph

But as I said before - if you think the speed limit is wrong, then campaign to have it changed. In the meantime, stick within the law. (In this case, I doubt that mass civil disobedience would have the right... impact.)

I can't understand why there are warnings about the presence of speed cameras
    Because the point of a speed camera is safety first and foremost - to get people to slow down. Put one at an accident black spot and give clear warnings and people will slow down. Little point in putting them up otherwise, unless you just want to generate a bit of revenue

Having a speed camera without clear warning is completely defeating the point IMO.

I think you'll find that it's driving within the speed limits that saves lives...
    I'm sorry but that's just not true! Plenty of fatal accidents happen well within the speed limit. Let's not jump on the 'speed kills' bandwagon. Speed can be a contributing factor in an accident as can a whole host of other things - speed just happens to be something that you can measure arbitrarily and therefore is easy to police instead of concentrating on proper issues (driving appropriately for the weather conditions, not tailgating people, being observant etc etc)

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTomato View Post
    Because the point of a speed camera is safety first and foremost - to get people to slow down. Put one at an accident black spot and give clear warnings and people will slow down. Little point in putting them up otherwise, unless you just want to generate a bit of revenue

Having a speed camera without clear warning is completely defeating the point IMO.
    Fair enough - as I said, I'm new to this game Although that does make me wonder why they don't randomly just put signs up instead - so you never know whether you actually have a camera there or if it's just a sign up to make you want to slow down. Surely that'd be cheaper and just as effective, and you'd still get some revenue. Or are you suggesting that they are mostly revenue generating devices?

I'm sorry but that's just not true! Plenty of fatal accidents happen well within the speed limit. Let's not jump on the 'speed kills' bandwagon. Speed can be a contributing factor in an accident as can a whole host of other things - speed just happens to be something that you can measure arbitrarily and therefore is easy to police instead of concentrating on proper issues (driving appropriately for the weather conditions, not tailgating people, being observant etc etc)
    My point was related to speed cameras, whichis what this thread is about. I agree that there are a whole other range of things which would help to reduce accidents. Do you agree that people should drive within the legal speed limits? If so how:

a) would you encourage them to do that if speed cameras aren't going to be used (and let's say for the sake of arguement that there aren't enough traffic police at present to do the job)

b) encourage the other driving skills/styles that will help to reduce accidents?

The Dashing Moderator

I don't see why.. say we had a system where speed cameras (ideally really small and hard to spot) could be placed anywhere and moved around at random with no warning. Don't you think people would slow down if that was the norm?
    Love dance, will travel

Thread Information