Thread: Workshops

Workshops

How do Ceroc's Beginners Workshops compare to their regular class nights?

I'm thinking of booking myself and my poor, dance challenged boyfriend on one, soon, and since I'm both prone to silly ideas, and skint, I'm having a whole argument in my head about it!
    On the one hand, it's a great idea, because there'll be no freestyle - which is always the difficult part for me, and since me and him are quite similar.... There'll also be fewer people for him to worry about seing again, and I just can't wait to dance with him
    On the other hand, it's a silly idea, because it seems quite expensive for what it is, when I think about it.....there'll be no freestyle...which we both need practise at....We might get bored of a three hour long lesson...

So, help me out, here - pros and cons?

Re: Workshops

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post

I'm thinking of booking myself and my poor, dance challenged boyfriend on one, soon, and since I'm both prone to silly ideas, and skint, I'm having a whole argument in my head about it!
    On the one hand, it's a great idea, because there'll be no freestyle - which is always the difficult part for me, and since me and him are quite similar.... There'll also be fewer people for him to worry about seing again, and I just can't wait to dance with him
    On the other hand, it's a silly idea, because it seems quite expensive for what it is, when I think about it.....there'll be no freestyle...which we both need practise at....We might get bored of a three hour long lesson...

So, help me out, here - pros and cons?
    there is no downside IMHO to workshops....I reckon they are worth about 10 regular ceroc nights of tuition ! As they only allow 10 couples per workshop they are more in depth and intensive, you`ll get around 12 moves in the workshop and you could also go to a freestyle afterwards, although i would suggest going to a couple of freestyle nights first and helping your partner through some of the basics like the hand hold, tension, footwork, smiling etc etc then your workshop experience will be better i`m sure....in short worth every penny methinks....

Do it! It's not a silly idea at all. It will be really helpful - you'll learn a lot, have a bit of fun, and you definitely won't have the chance to get bored!

Blog Entries

Speak to your local teacher before you book it!
    I booked one after about 4 months, no-one said anything when I booked, then at the first break the teacher & demo pulled me aside and told me I would benefit from doing it, but I really should've gone on an intermediate workshop.
    If you think it's expensive, best to check you're doing the right level before handing over your hard-earned cash.
    I believe there are also beginner plus workshops now too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythical View Post
    In my experience, a three hour beginner workshop is more or less equivalent to six regular beginner lessons. There are some "extras" in the way of one-to-one attention and such, but that's not the primary focus. Valuable for getting a beginner to the stage where they're comfortable in freestyle.

One of the big advantages I found was that you get to know people who are at the same (relative) level as yourself - you've got a shared dance experiance and will have someone to dance with other than your immediate partner without feeling intimidated.

{oh yea; they also give you some advice and direct feedback that improves your dancing. }

Go for it - I bit the bullet and went after about 3 weeks and that gave me the very (!!!) necessary confidence to ask more advanced people for a dance. Before then I just hid in the corner!!!

Workshops are always useful as points of reference. They are not designed as segues to freestyle, just a way of developing your dancing into the next phase. Richard Oliver teaches down in London and I think these are some of the best investments you can make if you want to progress as a serious social dancer.

The most interesting thing that I learnt from Richard is that your dancing goes down in quality for a little while after you do a workshop, because your mind and body etc is absorbing all the points you learn, but then picks up again because you have fine-tuned the new moves and style to your previous level. Things like interpretation, posture and footwork are all covered to some degree.

From what I recall when I booked, the first part of the workshop covers what people's bad habits are and how to get away from these. The second half is utilising ideas and pointers.

I did the full range of Ceroc workshops and found them to be very helpful. If you go, be sure to take a notebook and pen, because otherwise you'll never remember everything.

johnnyman's point is correct about post-workshop dancing. Initially you start to notice more what you are doing wrong, than what you are doing right, but it soon falls into place and you will notice a step-change in your dancing. Workshops are especially good for the leaders, helping to instill confidence.

Thread Information