View Poll Results: Should Scotland become independent of the UK?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 50.00%
  • No

10 50.00%

Thread: Scottish Independence?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Commercial Operator

Scottish Independence?

So the SNP is the largest party in the Scots parliament. I have no preconceptions that a poll here will be more definitive than the ballot box, but unlike the voting form, there is "space below" to give your opinion.

Do the Scots want independence, or were the election results a case of giving the unpopular ruling party a kick up the a**e?

What would the long term effects of independence be?

Are the Liberals scared of a referendum?

And with those complex ballot papers, did people really know what they're voting for?

I'll bring my passport next week...

Greg

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Re: Scottish Independence?

Hi Sheepman.... you shouldn't have to bring your passport!!!

1) The lib Dems up here campaigned negatively.. i.e. only way to stop the SNP and Devolution is to vote Lib Dem.... bad move... peed a lot of folk off

2) A lot of people wanted to give Labour a boot in the bahoochie (bum!)

3) Although there is a percentage of the scottish public who want devolution... there are also those of us who DON'T!

4)The SNP will still have to hold a referendum on the issue - I believe the long term effects of a devolved Scotland would have a weakening effect on both the Scottish and British economies... bad move.. they keep basing the figures on the whole Scotland's Oil thing... only it's running out!

I'm Scottish and proud of it but.... United we stand.. Divided we fall..(IMHO)

well said that woman. We don't have the financial idependance to actuall get any where at this point in time (as we - as a nation - among other things sold our rights to the North sea oil revenue) once we have an independant financial and the like why not but you are asking what i think at this point in time not with a lot of what if's

FP

ps am dyslexic so please excuse any spelling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Flushed Phoenix View Post
    well said that woman. We don't have the financial idependance to actuall get any where at this point in time (as we - as a nation - among other things sold our rights to the North sea oil revenue) once we have an independant financial and the like why not but you are asking what i think at this point in time not with a lot of what if's

FP

ps am dyslexic so please excuse any spelling issues.
    Only a few minor mistakes with only 1(2) spelling mistakes and a missed "y" which is a LOT less than many of the mistakes seen on this forum !!

Anyway, if everybody who voted for the SNP this time round and I was one of them, actually voted for independence in the forthcoming referendum there still wouldn't be enough votes to carry independence through, so none of us needs to worry about splitting the union yet, that said, I think an independent Scotland would make a fortune selling water to England in a couple of hundred years or so; roll on global warming

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I think an independent Scotland would make a fortune selling water to England in a couple of hundred years or so; roll on global warming
    So ... outside a dwindling oil reserve, a potential site for call centres and a bit of tourism ..... how exactly would an independant Scotland finance itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    So ... outside a dwindling oil reserve, a potential site for call centres and a bit of tourism ..... how exactly would an independant Scotland finance itself?
    Whiskey & shortbread? Works for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    How would England finance itself? How does Denmark or Holland or Finland finace itself?

Why should it be hard for Scotland to finance itself?

Unionist parties have spent the last 50 years telling Scots that Scotland is like an invalid that needs looked after. I don't believe it. Not for a minute.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    3) Although there is a percentage of the scottish public who want devolution... there are also those of us who DON'T!

4)The SNP will still have to hold a referendum on the issue - I believe the long term effects of a devolved Scotland would have a weakening effect on both the Scottish and British economies...
    We already have devolution... The parties that predicted disaster for Scotland with a devolved parliament are looking quite stupid now.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    We already have devolution... The parties that predicted disaster for Scotland with a devolved parliament are looking quite stupid now.
    we have a devolved parliament granted - and that I agree with completely... I just have grave concerns about dissolution of the union

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    we have a devolved parliament granted - and that I agree with completely... I just have grave concerns about dissolution of the union
    Why??

Commercial Operator

My biggest single concern about independence is that Scotland has always been Labour territory, and the thought of them holding power here just leaves me cold.

I would hope our growing up period would be over soon, and that we can get to some real politics.... not just, "My Dad voted Labour, so I'm gonna too..." stuff which is spectactularly ignorant.

On an optimistic note, perhaps a shift like this will persuade more Scots to take an interest in their political well-being and become better informed.

What makes me laugh are the ludicrous bleatings of the labour party to the effect that they are the saviours of the union. The fact is that it is labour's implementation of devolution and its failure to deal with the West Lothian question that have led to the position where the break up of the union is a real possibility.

When labour came to power in 1997, my biggest concern was their proposed changes to the constitution. In the long term, their constitutional meddling is extremely damaging for all of us, whether we are talking about devolution or the dogs dinner reform of the Lords.

An Eclectic Toaster

Quote Originally Posted by CJ View Post
    My biggest single concern about independence is that Scotland has always been Labour territory, and the thought of them holding power here just leaves me cold.

I would hope our growing up period would be over soon, and that we can get to some real politics.... not just, "My Dad voted Labour, so I'm gonna too..." stuff which is spectactularly ignorant.

On an optimistic note, perhaps a shift like this will persuade more Scots to take an interest in their political well-being and become better informed.
    With you on this, CJ.

This parliamentary election showed some good and bad signs on that score. For the first time, we saw the SNP and LibDems take seats off Labour outside of one-off by-elections. On the downside, we saw a new generation of Labour apparatchiks appearing - people like David Whitton, who has strong media ties (worked for both Scottish television and the Daily Record for many years).

However, I actually think the real breakthrough is taking root in the councils. The Labour party has now only got 2 absolute majorities in the West of Scotland, and even there, large effective opposition groups have come into being thanks to PR. It will have to set up coalitions to continue in many former strongholds. The dreadful complacency and arrogance, which used to poison local government in the West of Scotland, will have to come to an end. I remember living in an area which had the temerity to vote for an SNP councillor in the 80s, in a by-election. It was left to rot as "punishment".

Thread Information