View Poll Results: Should Scotland become independent of the UK?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 50.00%
  • No

10 50.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scottish Independence?

Commercial Operator

Scottish Independence?

So the SNP is the largest party in the Scots parliament. I have no preconceptions that a poll here will be more definitive than the ballot box, but unlike the voting form, there is "space below" to give your opinion.

Do the Scots want independence, or were the election results a case of giving the unpopular ruling party a kick up the a**e?

What would the long term effects of independence be?

Are the Liberals scared of a referendum?

And with those complex ballot papers, did people really know what they're voting for?

I'll bring my passport next week...

Greg

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Re: Scottish Independence?

Hi Sheepman.... you shouldn't have to bring your passport!!!

1) The lib Dems up here campaigned negatively.. i.e. only way to stop the SNP and Devolution is to vote Lib Dem.... bad move... peed a lot of folk off

2) A lot of people wanted to give Labour a boot in the bahoochie (bum!)

3) Although there is a percentage of the scottish public who want devolution... there are also those of us who DON'T!

4)The SNP will still have to hold a referendum on the issue - I believe the long term effects of a devolved Scotland would have a weakening effect on both the Scottish and British economies... bad move.. they keep basing the figures on the whole Scotland's Oil thing... only it's running out!

I'm Scottish and proud of it but.... United we stand.. Divided we fall..(IMHO)

well said that woman. We don't have the financial idependance to actuall get any where at this point in time (as we - as a nation - among other things sold our rights to the North sea oil revenue) once we have an independant financial and the like why not but you are asking what i think at this point in time not with a lot of what if's

FP

ps am dyslexic so please excuse any spelling issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Flushed Phoenix View Post
    well said that woman. We don't have the financial idependance to actuall get any where at this point in time (as we - as a nation - among other things sold our rights to the North sea oil revenue) once we have an independant financial and the like why not but you are asking what i think at this point in time not with a lot of what if's

FP

ps am dyslexic so please excuse any spelling issues.
    Only a few minor mistakes with only 1(2) spelling mistakes and a missed "y" which is a LOT less than many of the mistakes seen on this forum !!

Anyway, if everybody who voted for the SNP this time round and I was one of them, actually voted for independence in the forthcoming referendum there still wouldn't be enough votes to carry independence through, so none of us needs to worry about splitting the union yet, that said, I think an independent Scotland would make a fortune selling water to England in a couple of hundred years or so; roll on global warming

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Doolan View Post
    I think an independent Scotland would make a fortune selling water to England in a couple of hundred years or so; roll on global warming
    So ... outside a dwindling oil reserve, a potential site for call centres and a bit of tourism ..... how exactly would an independant Scotland finance itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    So ... outside a dwindling oil reserve, a potential site for call centres and a bit of tourism ..... how exactly would an independant Scotland finance itself?
    Whiskey & shortbread? Works for me!

Commercial Operator

I'm as patriotic as the next Scot, but I don't want Scotland to be independent, for much about the same reasons that Mezzosoprano stated. I have never voted SNP and probably never will. I also think that once Mr Blair has gone, a lot of the support for the Labour party in Scotland will return. Curious to see how the SNP will cope with power, since the only common view shared by their politicians is independence. There are many different colours of politics in there though, so it will be interesting to see how often they disagree with each other on important issues.
    Would be interesting to see how the result would have gone if the huge number of spoilt papers had been taken into account. SNP won one seat by a margin of 48 votes from labour, but may have lost it if there hadn't been so many spoilt papers.

How would England finance itself? How does Denmark or Holland or Finland finace itself?

Why should it be hard for Scotland to finance itself?

Unionist parties have spent the last 50 years telling Scots that Scotland is like an invalid that needs looked after. I don't believe it. Not for a minute.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    3) Although there is a percentage of the scottish public who want devolution... there are also those of us who DON'T!

4)The SNP will still have to hold a referendum on the issue - I believe the long term effects of a devolved Scotland would have a weakening effect on both the Scottish and British economies...
    We already have devolution... The parties that predicted disaster for Scotland with a devolved parliament are looking quite stupid now.

Commercial Operator

So far, at a very statistically insignificant 4 for, 7 against. The poll is more in favour of independence than the make up of the scottish Parliament, (about 3 to 1 against I think) This does assume that all the SNP MPs are in favour, and all the other MPs are against.

I wonder how many ineligible votes there are on this poll - ie those living South of the border, (or East, West, North for that matter.)

Greg

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    We already have devolution... The parties that predicted disaster for Scotland with a devolved parliament are looking quite stupid now.
    we have a devolved parliament granted - and that I agree with completely... I just have grave concerns about dissolution of the union

Quote Originally Posted by Mezzosoprano View Post
    we have a devolved parliament granted - and that I agree with completely... I just have grave concerns about dissolution of the union
    Why??

Commercial Operator

My biggest single concern about independence is that Scotland has always been Labour territory, and the thought of them holding power here just leaves me cold.

I would hope our growing up period would be over soon, and that we can get to some real politics.... not just, "My Dad voted Labour, so I'm gonna too..." stuff which is spectactularly ignorant.

On an optimistic note, perhaps a shift like this will persuade more Scots to take an interest in their political well-being and become better informed.

What makes me laugh are the ludicrous bleatings of the labour party to the effect that they are the saviours of the union. The fact is that it is labour's implementation of devolution and its failure to deal with the West Lothian question that have led to the position where the break up of the union is a real possibility.

When labour came to power in 1997, my biggest concern was their proposed changes to the constitution. In the long term, their constitutional meddling is extremely damaging for all of us, whether we are talking about devolution or the dogs dinner reform of the Lords.

How would England finance itself? How does Denmark or Holland or Finland finace itself?

Why should it be hard for Scotland to finance itself?.
    Hmmm ... what level of industrialistion does Scotland have? How does its Financial powerbase compare to London. What type of exports could it muster? If the Wall went up tomorrow, do you think that Scotland would have a positive or negative balance of payments?

Commercial Operator

Hmmm ... what level of industrialistion does Scotland have? How does its Financial powerbase compare to London. What type of exports could it muster? If the Wall went up tomorrow, do you think that Scotland would have a positive or negative balance of payments?
    Well, consider, alone, the RBS makes enough profit per second to finance most African countries, we have a good start. Add in
    Quote Originally Posted by some clown
    a bit of tourism
    , IT, finance centres and world wide exports of food stuffs and one or two idiosyncratic beverages, we have the makings of an economy.

In essence, Scotland could feed itself. Everything else would come. Our BoP would be positive. Would England's?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Gus
    Hmmm ... what level of industrialistion does Scotland have?
    We have electricity, and we are hoping to get the telephone soon.
    Last edited by CJ; 5th-May-2007 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spin dryer View Post
    The fact is that it is labour's implementation of devolution and its failure to deal with the West Lothian question that have led to the position where the break up of the union is a real possibility.
    Considering that the West Lothian Question concerns only the governing of England, it can hardly have had an impact on the number of Scots demanding independence.

Considering that the West Lothian Question concerns only the governing of England, it can hardly have had an impact on the number of Scots demanding independence.
    Correct, but it has influenced the English. Until recent years, most English people would have thought of and described themselves as British. Nowadays, the majority think of themselves primarily as English.

Sadly, it's now not only a question of whether the Scots want independence, but whether the English want independence (or at least their own parliament).

Scots get to give England an unpopular Labour government despite an in-built Conservative majority within England and get cash from London to pay for the privelege. Surely Scotland wants to maintain this just to annoy the Sassenachs?

Can Scotland fund itself by renting the nuclear sub bases back to England?

Commercial Operator

Hmmm ... what level of industrialistion does Scotland have?
    Like the north of England, it used to have a very big Coal industry, Steel Industry, Ship building industry, manufacturing industry, but Mrs Thatcher sorted that out.....

Thread Information