Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teach Me Something NEW!!

Blog Entries

Teach Me Something NEW!!

i have finally joined the ranks of no longer attending classes on Ceroc nights as they bore me stupid, the teachers manage to annoy me at their own self importance and the beginners bless em, DO MY HEAD IN.

I am only going to attend the odd freestyles now and have to find something new to do.

CEROC - SURELY YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP AND REALISE, US EXPERIENCED PEOPLE NEED INSPIRATION TOO.

Why do we end up like this...?

Blog Entries

Re: Teach Me Something New For Christ Sakes

Time to concentrate on a new dance style?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    Time to concentrate on a new dance style?
    yes i know i have no choice but to do that but it still grates me when i have invested 4 years into a dance style that reaches a certain point and thats it. I am not at advanced level, there is so much more i could learn, styling, footwork etc and they just do not cater for us at this level at any of the ceroc venues that i have been too unless of course your prepared to stomp out more money on workshops.

Why not? - do we not deserve some advanced training after spending god knows how much week in week out.

Blog Entries

I guess you have 3 options:

1. Give up.

2. Travel lots to do the workshops etc that cover the aspects that you want.

3. Master a new dance style and bring what you've learnt back to MJ.

Because, frankly (as has been thrashed out elsewhere) Ceroc and others won't see immediate financial returns from catering for those of us that want more. They make their money from getting loads of newbies through the doors and showing them that even spakkers like me can dance.

Blog Entries

I guess you have 3 options:

1. Give up.

2. Travel lots to do the workshops etc that cover the aspects that you want.

3. Master a new dance style and bring what you've learnt back to MJ.

Because, frankly (as has been thrashed out elsewhere) Ceroc and others won't see immediate financial returns from catering for those of us that want more. They make their money from getting loads of newbies through the doors and showing them that even spakkers like me can dance.
    yes and they rely quite heavily on dancers at the venues being polite and helpful to encourage even more spakkers through the door. Where is the pay back. There isn't. Its wrong, greedy and not acceptable.

You could look at what the independents are doing in your area. We have found a place that teaches WCS in a second room whilst the beginner lesson is on. We are learning so much about connection, tension, lead and follow, as well as footwork and musicality. And we have only been three times so far!! Of course this all spills over into any dancing that you do - I just have to remember to stop triple stepping when I get back out on the MJ dance floor

You could try Salsa or something like that too. I know it doesn't address the underlying problem of Ceroc not catering for the more accomplished dancer like you, but it does at least make you feel like you're getting value for money - rather than turning up and paying full price to dance just for the 90 minute freestyle

I agree with Gav when things get like this for me I have to move out of the MJ world for a bit and concentrated on other styles of dancing. Other hobbies help too, walking, going to the theatre, opera, ballet,just finding other things to interest me gives me a new perception on things. Sometimes it is not just that we keep learning the same things in MJ, but we go to the same places, see the same people, have the same conversations wear the same things, hear the same music and get into a rut.Another thing for me which helps is travelling to new venues.Time for a change perhaps.? Good luck

Spakker? I love that word. I'm going to use it more ofter. Its right up there with Numpty.

I have been told that if you do something regularly for 6 months, you are likely to continue doing it for years to come. Maybe Ceroc have heard this too and feel that us spakkers that have been going for years will still come dancing rain or shine.

Basically, you get the feeling Ceroc's attitude is 'yeah...whatever'.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    Other hobbies help too
    Just don't take up motor racing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    You could try Salsa or something like that too. I know it doesn't address the underlying problem of Ceroc not catering for the more accomplished dancer like you, but it does at least make you feel like you're getting value for money - rather than turning up and paying full price to dance just for the 90 minute freestyle
    Ive done Salsa, ive started WCS but ive dedicated the last 4 years to Ceroc. Yes we can move on, stop going etc etc but why should we.?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    Ive done Salsa, ive started WCS but ive dedicated the last 4 years to Ceroc. Yes we can move on, stop going etc etc but why should we.?
    I too would prefer not to have a lesson as I just want to dance all night.

I must be odd. I'm still happy with standard Ceroc nights. An Independent operates in my area who offers advanced and 'different' lessons. I tried it but to be honest, I was bored and would rather freestyle.

My answer is to freestyle every weekend and do a different week night class every week. I find sampling different DJs is enough for me. Variety spices my life

Daisy

(An Unteachable Little Flower)

Why the should question?
    Dancing is about enjoying yourself. You should do whatever pleases you - whether it is ceroc or not. No need to get involved in dance politics if you can avoid it.
    Yes most of us have a loyalty sort of feeling towards ceroc because we are grateful it brought us to the world of dancing, but there's nothing wrong with doing other dance styles as well to get more inspiration when you need it. At the end of day, even ceroc will benefit of it, indirectly (as you will become a better dancer and inspire others to dance, for example).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caro View Post
    Yes most of us have a loyalty sort of feeling towards ceroc because we are grateful it brought us to the world of dancing, but there's nothing wrong with doing other dance styles as well to get more inspiration when you need it. At the end of day, even ceroc will benefit of it, indirectly (as you will become a better dancer and inspire others to dance, for example).
    We will become better dancers by going elsewhere yes we will but why cant we become better ceroc dancers without having to go outside ceroc. Why are we forced to spend lots of money to advance further.

I believe that they do advanced classes at Fulham...

*runs and hides*

Commercial Operator

I went through this phase some time ago - I'm much older than Trouble

I'd outgrown what was available locally and had nothing to learn from them. So I started to travel and started to try other styles of dance. I'd already been through the ballroom thing and didn't really enjoy the social side of that. So I tried other dance styles. But I always went to MJ freestyles and classes every week. I found the other dance styles frustrating because I was a beginner again and I found that there was very little freestyle on offer for Lindy, WCS, etc.

So, I came out of the other side and decided to get better at MJ. The first thing I did was to start competing. This immediately added another dimension to my dancing as I was always looking for something new and interesting, I watched a lot of videos (no DVDs in those days). Then I saw videos of myself competing and realised how far from "good" my dancing was I realised I needed to work on the little things to improve my dancing. It wasn't about moves at all It was a painful realisation but it spurred me on to find better and better teachers and to practice more and more.

In those days I had nobody to guide me. There was no forum for me to turn to for advice. But the forum is here for Trouble and we will tell her what we would do now. Don't do what I did, I went down a load of blind alleys before I found my way. My advice is really simple. STICK WITH MODERN JIVE. You are already a good dancer and great fun to dance with. All you need to do is feel like you're making progress. Have yourself filmed and take a long hard look at your dancing: compare yourself to other dancers you admire and work out what the differences are. And, having done that, get private lessons from a proper dance teacher. Nina, Kate, Amir, Kat, etc. Do not pay money to any dance teacher who says they will teach you difficult moves. Find somebody who says they will teach you HOW to move. Now I think about it, a private lesson or two is probably the first thing you should do.

My last bit of advice is specifically for followers. And it goes against everything I believe modern jive is about. If you want to improve quickly, don't dance with beginners. Seek out the better dancers and stick to them like glue. For leaders, I don't think this applies - I find that I learn a great deal about lead and follow by dancing with total beginners.

Finally, I would like to talk about another option. Teaching. I have found that teaching has opened up a whole new dimension in Modern Jive. Learning to teach has really changed the way I see the dance and has produced a whole new source of enjoyment. It is a great joy to see a room full of people really enjoying themselves when you know you have taught most of them to dance. It's and even greater joy when you notice that not one of them is bouncing their hand

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post

My last bit of advice is specifically for followers. And it goes against everything I believe modern jive is about. If you want to improve quickly, don't dance with beginners. Seek out the better dancers and stick to them like glue. For leaders, I don't think this applies - I find that I learn a great deal about lead and follow by dancing with total beginners.

:

It's much more fun (and productive) to dance with a fabulous leader than to yawn through a 45 minute lesson

I also learn most of my styling from watching other women on the dance floor.

Daisy

(A Lazy Little Flower)

i have finally joined the ranks of no longer attending classes on Ceroc nights as they bore me stupid, the teachers manage to annoy me at their own self importance and the beginners bless em, DO MY HEAD IN.

I am only going to attend the odd freestyles now and have to find something new to do.

CEROC - SURELY YOU HAVE TO WAKE UP AND REALISE, US EXPERIENCED PEOPLE NEED INSPIRATION TOO.

Well i agree with you. You have come out the other end of the sausage factory looking for more....and why not?

Investing time and money in something you enjoy give s experience and satisfaction so you shouldnt have to try and master something else to keep you inspired.

The only thing i can suggest at the moment is to carry on doing just that....spending more money and time. Maybe gettin DVDs from say Australias ceroc (their style is so much smoother) or go to Dancesport and pick out elements of their latin jive -at the same time wiping the self important smile of your teachers face or better still...maybe start teaching yourself......?

Congratulations, you are ready to leave primary school ...

Reglar Ceroc classes are actually quite good at doing what they set out to do, get people that cannot dance up to intermediate level. If they tried to do too much more it will result in them achieving less.

The beginners, bless them, are amongst my rewards. I recently saw one that I danced with on her first night have the courage to get out in the middle of the dance floor and do a solo cabaret with a chair. Ceroc, and the Ceroc ethos, did that.

Forum Bombshell - Our Queen! Lory's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I believe, as a follow in Ceroc, you reach a stage where you pick up 'more' from freestyling or watching other dancers, than you do from the lessons.

One day you suddenly realise that the tables have turned and your actually helping/teaching the leads, more than your learning yourself.

Obviously this does have some benefits, i.e. meeting people. giving something back and investing in future dancers, etc.

but IMO, once you've learnt the concept of following 'properly' you don't actually need to learn more moves, so sadly the lessons do feel a bit like a waste of time...

It would be nice if every four weeks or so, we could have a lesson concentrating purely on arm styling options or pretty/neat footwork or 'shines', etc.
    MODERATOR AT YOUR SERVICE
    "If you're going to do something tonight, that you know you'll be sorry for in the morning, plan a lie in." Lorraine

"My last bit of advice is specifically for followers. And it goes against everything I believe modern jive is about. If you want to improve quickly, don't dance with beginners. Seek out the better dancers and stick to them like glue. For leaders, I don't think this applies - I find that I learn a great deal about lead and follow by dancing with total beginners."

I understand where your coming from with this however i cant beleive you think it doesnt apply to leaders the rule really does apply to leaders too!!

This is because the more advanced follower you dance with the more she is going to follow everything you lead-right and wrong!. I reccomend leaders dancing with advanced followers if they want to add finishing touches to their lead and get rid of really bad habits. You will feel it as she will follow your slightest move.

Thread Information