Thread: Dancing Abroad - How Is MJ Received?

Dancing Abroad - How Is MJ Received?

I'm off to Spain in three week's time, staying just outside Granada, and would really like to visit some of the city's Salsa clubs, the only downside being that I can't err, do Salsa. Just MJ. I was wondering whether I'd attract the scorn of numerous Spaniards if I went to a Salsa club in the city and started MJing with my partner? Has anyone else ever danced in a club overseas, and if so, how was it received?

Re: Dancing Abroad - How Is MJ Received?

Unless you particularly like salsa music, or particularly hate club/dance/pop music, I'd suggest you go to a normal club.

FH & I went dancing in Amsterdam recently. We avoided the Salsa places and instead went to dance in a cafe/bar/club place. We didn't have any problems with the locals – got some admiring looks – and had a lot of fun, though it did get a bit too crowded later on...
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. ā€“ Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Unless you particularly like salsa music, or particularly hate club/dance/pop music, I'd suggest you go to a normal club.

FH & I went dancing in Amsterdam recently. We avoided the Salsa places and instead went to dance in a cafe/bar/club place. We didn't have any problems with the locals ā€“ got some admiring looks ā€“ and had a lot of fun, though it did get a bit too crowded later on...
    Cheers for that - I like Latin music, but yep, there should be lots of other places to check out.

Has anyone gone to the eastern european destination and tried MJ-ing in the club/disco? I will be visiting my family there in a while, and want to show off (understandably) my new jive skills. Will I be scorned? Or admiredm as the lucky Amsterdamian visitor?

Umm probably not that relevant but have always found the yanks aboard cruise ships out of the States think its really great

anybody aboard the cruise ship thinks it's great!!!

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

No matter where i have been dancing no one has had a problem. I danced ceroc in a restaurant in spain and got a round of applause afterwards with people even coming up to me and asking was i a professional dancer!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    No matter where i have been dancing no one has had a problem. I danced ceroc in a restaurant in spain and got a round of applause afterwards with people even coming up to me and asking was i a professional dancer!!!!
    Did you get asked to dance by any Spanish guys? I've heard that it's a bit latin and territorial over there - apparently the blokes get funny if you ask women to dance. May be all cobblers, but it's just what I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsichorea View Post
    Did you get asked to dance by any Spanish guys? I've heard that it's a bit latin and territorial over there - apparently the blokes get funny if you ask women to dance. May be all cobblers, but it's just what I've heard.
    Well, I am back, and having now danced MJ in Spain, I can safely say that it raised curious Latin eyebrows, but on the whole, they seemed to think it was some strange variation of Salsa.

Thread Information