Thread: Moving to Dartford

Blog Entries

Moving to Dartford

Could it be? Is Gav really going back to Dartford?

It's true!

Well for now at least.
    Starting the 14th of May I'll be staying with family in Dartford/Crayford (after a break of 17 years) and I'll be there for at least a few months before I decide where to settle down (will probably be north of the river somewhere).

Anyway, I know there are NW Kent and SE London forumites out there. Where are all the best places to dance?

I'm really looking forward to trying venues I've never been to and dancing with forumite friends and all the non-forumites that I've yet to meet.

I'm sure most don't care, hence the small type, but the reason for the move is I'm giving up my Job in Norwich and setting up a business in the London area.

Re: Moving to Dartford

Quote Originally Posted by Gav View Post
    the reason for the move is I'm giving up my Job in Norwich and setting up a business in the London area.
    I feel soooo rejected. I thought it was to be nearer to me.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    the reason for the move is I'm giving up my Job in Norwich and setting up a business in the London area.
    I feel soooo rejected. I thought it was to be nearer to me.
    and the reason I'm giving up my job and setting up a business in London is to be closer to Double Trouble

Congrats Gav. You won't be too far away from Greenwich then - fairly direct route. Russel's classes are great on a Tuesday evening, or the occasional freestyles on a Saturday.

My regular class is Clapham, but that's probably going a little too far west for a week night? And then there is the new class on a Saturday (occasionally) in Dulwich, but I'll report back on that when I've actually been and see how it's developing.

Registered User SeriouslyAddicted's Avatar

Welcome to back to Kent - 'tis where all the best people hang out you know and the best venue in Kent IMHO has got to be Salomans in Southborough on a Wednesday -about half hour/40 mins from Dartford but well worth the drive. It's be good to see you there

and the reason I'm giving up my job and setting up a business in London is to be closer to Double Trouble

Franck Cupid

I wish you both all the very very best

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

Gav ... you could check out Welcome To Ceroc Kent- The Home of Modern Jive for all of your local venues

Welcome Back to Kent...might even see you around one day...even tho i dont know what you look like ....lol

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Welcome Back to Kent...might even see you around one day...even tho i dont know what you look like ....lol
    Think Shrek with hair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DD+ View Post
    Gav ... you could check out Welcome To Ceroc Kent- The Home of Modern Jive for all of your local venues

I think I know who you are so I'll keep an eye out for you.

I do have a profile pic! I'm the one with short hair and no make-up

Yup - Greenwich on a Tuesday night is a fab bet - good teachers, standard of dancing and a very friendly crowd. Also recommended it to a couple whose wedding I'm photographing in August and want to learn to do something other than shuffle around for their first dance - they live in Beckenham.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Think Shrek with hair.
    Doesn't say a lot for your tastes.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

As SA said, Salamons is a great venue.

Dance Riviera hold good classes too. I on occasion pop up there for a freestyle.

I think I know who you are so I'll keep an eye out for you.

I do have a profile pic! I'm the one with short hair and no make-up
    and the tall one is Liev Schrieber, yes?

Hey Gav
    Well we danced at orpington so you know about that one, of course there is bromley (can of worms here, think im the only forumite who goes but I like it ) )
    Maidstone is good, only 20 mins away.........anyway will be good to catch up with you!

Lou xx

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    As SA said, Salamons is a great venue.
    Dance Riviera hold good classes too. I on occasion pop up there for a freestyle.
    Bloody hell!, the last person I expected a serious answer from!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Shnikov View Post
    and the tall one is Liev Schrieber, yes?
    What can I say? You're too kind

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbalou View Post
    Hey Gav
    Well we danced at orpington so you know about that one, of course there is bromley (can of worms here, think im the only forumite who goes but I like it ) )
    Maidstone is good, only 20 mins away.........anyway will be good to catch up with you!
    Lou xx
    Thanks and I remember some lovely dances so it will be nice to catch up. I don't go to venues just because forumites or friends go there, I try any ones I can and make my own mind up or DT makes my mind up for me .

Hey Gav - be good to see you down this end of the world! Depends what you look for in a 'good' venue. I've been to almost all of the Kent venues and could say good and bad things about all of them (from my perspective). As Bubbalou says, Maidstone (Thursdays) is very good, as is Shorne (Tuesdays) - but both can get really packed and the dancefloor at Shorne is tiny, so a lot of people end up dancing on the carpet round the edge . If you like a bit of space, Rochester (Mondays) is good - used to be busy, but is thinning out a bit these days, but still some good dancers there, a good teacher and great DJ. Sittingbourne is lovely - nice venue, great crew (eg Gentabout and myself ) , good teacher, and some lovely people ... but not that many of them, and a lot are only at the early intermediate stage. Your nearest one would probably be Crayford (Mondays) which is one I've not been to or Northfleet (Thursdays), and that's very similar to Sittingbourne (but without me most of the time!) So that's every weekday night covered. There are only 2 Friday venues - Beckenham (not been there) and Faversham which is fairly busy-ish without being jam-packed. But I usually only go for the freestyle there, not the classes. And Saturday Freestyles every two weeks alternately at Bromley (themed) and Orpington - I'd say Bromley is better than Orpington, but there is a Blues Room at the Orpington ones (not had a chance to try that yet - it only opened last month and I couldn't go to that one)

Look forward to seeing you sometime soon hopefully!

Don't do it!!! I have the misfortune of working in Dartford and wish it on my enemy! Perhaps a little harsh. I'm sure there are nice bits... somewhere... if you look hard enough...

Anyway, depends what you look for in a best place to dance. OK, so I'm biased, but I'd say come along to Ceroc at Crayford on a Monday night. It's a friendly venue, unassuming people, mixture of ages, cheapish bar. Not on the whole the most experienced dancers, although a few very nice dancers do go there. I like Virginia's teaching style and it's quite a lively, busy atmosphere nowadays.

Shorne, just down the A2 on a Tuesday night attracts lots of very high standard dancers. Great DJ.

I'd agree (again biased) that Salomons is great on a Wednesday night. I travel down there every Wednesday after work. Have done the journey in 28 minutes, desperate to make the intermediate class after a late evening at work! Plus, Steve's a great teacher and all-round thoroughly top bloke and Ian's another great DJ!

Northfleet's a fledgling venue on a Thursday night, just down the A2 from D'ford. It's got quite a fast floor, which is nice, but it hasn't really got going as a happening venue yet. Elaine's a lovely teacher though. Great DJ... again. Or there's Bromley also on Thursday, in SE London. Huge venue, lots of people and lots of established, very good dancers.

Friday's a bit quiet for CerocKent.

Freestyles are quite frequent, currently at 2 per month, rising to 4 soon, dotted around. The established ones at Bromley and Orpington are really popular and the dancing again is a high standard. Recommended.

That's my, well, more than tuppence worth, and I don't even work on commission, either. Looking forward to meeting you sometime in the area.

Planet Wacko (a now motorised world of my own):)

Thumbs up Re: Moving to Dartford

Hi Gav.
    Welcome to Crayford
    As everyone is saying you can not beat Greenwich on a Tuesday!
    Thursday has a close second with Dance Riviera at the Acacia Ballrooms in Dartford.
    If you fancy a slight detour North of the river Bow - Jongleurs is becoming a very good venue (and the bar downstairs offer quite a good food selection).
    Mondays and wednesdays, you could leave your car and walk to the old vic club in Crayford. (Dance riviera on wednesday and ceroc kent on monday - yes the same venue!!)
    That leaves you friday night to either travel to beckenham or go see double trouble
    Saturday evenings have a selection of party nights going on at Bromley or Greenwich and other not too distant venues,
    so apart from going to the boat up in london for sunday afternoons that leaves you plenty of time to be closer to double trouble, oops just remembered dont forget you have to fit work in somewhere

Thread Information