Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Jive Masters Final - Walthamstow this Saturday!

Re: Re: Unconfirmed results

Originally posted by Graham
    Mick and Cynty are both ceroc teachers.

Thanks. Known (of) Mick for ages ... didn't know who Cynty was ... found out last night that she was his girlfriend .... lucky guy

Wasn't trying to make any point really about him being a Ceroc teacher ... just thought it woud be nice for the Ceroc Forum to realise that there are some Ceroc teachers who are up there with the best. Until recently Ceroc teachers don't seem to have enterd many competitions and some people may have drawn the wrong conclusions from that.

Re: Re: Re: Unconfirmed results

Originally posted by ianmate
    So what?
    I wasn't trying to make any point - merely expanding on the earlier post as obviously a number of people had heard of Mick but didn't know Cynty.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Unconfirmed results

Originally posted by Graham
    I wasn't trying to make any point - merely expanding on the earlier post as obviously a number of people had heard of Mick but didn't know Cynty.
    What do you mean wasn't trying to make any point ?!? are you saying we jump to conclusions in here ? well are you ??? frankly i dont like your tone...what a ridiculous slur Sir - and i demand satisfaction. Outside now...decide who your second will be and you can get choice of weapon*...10 paces turn and fire!

*halibut, jelly crocodile or chicklet basque are this years gentlemans weapons of choice, choose wisely Sir.

A twin salvo from that Chicklet basque will have your eyes smarting..thats for damn sure

Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Unconfirmed results

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
    A twin salvo from that Chicklet basque will have your eyes smarting..thats for damn sure
    smells a lot better than halibut though eh?

Commercial Operator

You can't please everyone

Originally posted by Andy McGregor
    Amir and Taz were the best by miles. The Australian couple showed now awareness of the music at all. The even seemed to start most moves on the 2nd beat of the bar of the music Do they know there are bars? But they did do big airsteps

The couple that came 2nd were good dancers but I didn't even vote for them to win their heat. I thought the Tramp was better. And what about Simon Selmon? He was my 2nd choice and he wasn't in the top 3! With this kind of judging even I could win

Still, there's no argument, the people have spoken. And they have voted for the people with the airsteps who show absolutely no evidence thet the are dancing to anything but a metronome
    Well I have to come out of hibernation for a short (?) one on this.
    It seems I agree with Andy on practically everything again (oh no! baaaa.) I had Amir and Tas ahead by just one point, they were the masters of the musicality, but did they have a small dip in dynamism part way through the second track? I was staggered that they only came third.

I think it is unfair to say Nicky and Rob showed no musical awareness at all, they did spot the end of the second track and made it big - I did expect them to win. But they were soooooo lucky to even get through their heat! IMHO for the first track they were totally blown away by Christine and Simon, who were just even more amazing than when they won their heat back in July, musicality, originality, variety and more. (I admit I'm biased, but I asked about a dozen people, who had they put first in that heat, only one of them said it was the Ozzies, the others all said Christine and Simon.) They ran out of energy a bit in the second track, and it did look like Simon wasn't that familiar with the music track. Maybe Nicky and Rob thought they could coast through the heat?
    So there was previously all that debate on the scoring methods, and how some of the best dancers could go out in the heats, and in my view, that's what happened, as I felt Christine and Simon were far better than Ben and Hollie, and Mick & Cynty, who made the finals.

I had Simon Selmon in third place, though it was a close thing with Mick and Cynty, who were much better in the finals. It looked to me as though Simon didn't know the second track "Farmer John", a great track, and he missed a number of the accents, his Lindy style airsteps, though excellent, were not going to compete with the more showcase stuff on offer.

I'm also agreeing with Andy about the Tramp and Debster, I had them going through to the finals, rather than Mick and Cynty from that heat.

Congratulations are in order for all the competitors, they all put on a fab show, and I'd like to know, is this the most nerve racking arena so far?

What was really spooky was comparing scores for the heats with Wendy (Mrs Sheepman!), we were sitting next to each other, (so both had the same viewpoint - which does make a difference when you're down on the floor), we weren't collaborating at all, but we had identical scores for every single placing, and for every single heat! (Is that what being together for 20 something years does to you?)

I had a great night (despite the uneven, sticky floor). It all finished far too early (I was in bed soon after 5!) Wonderful to meet up with more of the Scots. I'd hoped to get round to the Bristol crowd but kept getting waylaid. So Lou (or anyone else from Bristol if you're reading) please pass my best on, especially to Lesley, who I only got the chance to say "Hello" to, she must have left before the end, so I didn't get a dance

Greg

Commercial Operator

Re: You can't please everyone

Originally posted by Sheepman
    Well I have to come out of hibernation for a short (?) one on this.
    It seems I agree with Andy on practically everything again (oh no! baaaa.) I had Amir and Tas ahead by just one point, they were the masters of the musicality, but did they have a small dip in dynamism part way through the second track? I was staggered that they only came third.

I think it is unfair to say Nicky and Rob showed no musical awareness at all, they did spot the end of the second track and made it big - I did expect them to win. But they were soooooo lucky to even get through their heat! IMHO for the first track they were totally blown away by Christine and Simon, who were just even more amazing than when they won their heat back in July, musicality, originality, variety and more. (I admit I'm biased, but I asked about a dozen people, who had they put first in that heat, only one of them said it was the Ozzies, the others all said Christine and Simon.) They ran out of energy a bit in the second track, and it did look like Simon wasn't that familiar with the music track.
    Isn't it funny that Sheepman and I agree. I even agree that Amir and Tas lost their way a little in the middle of the 2nd track. They seemed to repeat themselves a bit - but it did fit the music.

And Nicky and Rob did spot the end of the 2nd track. You could even see a light come on in their eyes as they started listening to the music. The execution of their moves was flawless and very flashy, I expect that what won it for them. What made me mark them down was that the execution didn't seem to make any reference to the track that was playing at the time - I had them 3rd after Simon Selman and Taina.

Christine and Simon were brilliant in their heat and I had them down as winning it just like Sheepman.

What was really spooky was comparing scores for the heats with Wendy (Mrs Sheepman!), we were sitting next to each other, (so both had the same viewpoint - which does make a difference when you're down on the floor), we weren't collaborating at all, but we had identical scores for every single placing, and for every single heat! (Is that what being together for 20 something years does to you?)

I had a great night (despite the uneven, sticky floor). It all finished far too early (I was in bed soon after 5!) Wonderful to meet up with more of the Scots. I'd hoped to get round to the Bristol crowd but kept getting waylaid.

Greg
    I was there with my wife Sue, who I've been with for 25 years, and we agreed on our scoring too.

I didn't have a problem with the floor at all but maybe I just chose the good bits to dance on.

The whole night was great. All the competitors were fantastic in their own individual way and I was well worth the journey. I danced with dozens of women I didn't know who were all brilliant I spotted loads of women I usually manage to grab for a dance but the night would have needed to have finished lunchtime on Sunday for me to get round everyone

Final Results

Thought that I was watching a different competition on Saturday when the results were announced. Here are my thoughts on the finalists:

1) Ben & Holly
    Fantastic dancers, although thought that they ran out of ideas by the second track. A bit disappointed after their performance in the semi finals.

2) Simon & Taina
    Great Showmanship, and fantastic musicality along with some incredible and well performed aerials. Thought they were a bit unlucky with the choice of music in the final, but still my favourites.

3) Amir & Tas
    Style and sophistication personified and for me Tas was the pick of all the girls that danced. Some nifty moves as well although I think they danced better in the semi’s than they did in the final. I placed them 2nd.

4) Nicky & Robert
    Very polished and professional performance, although I did think that they could have been dancing to any piece of music. For me dancing is about what you do to the music and it was quite noticeable in the 2nd track that they missed all the breaks and none of their moves took any notice of what was going on in the music. As this is meant to be a dance competition and not who knows the most moves I placed them 3rd.

5) Mick & Cynty
    Good quality “ceroc” dancing. Not sure how they came 2nd though as were miles behind all the others on originality and musicality. I understand Mick is one of Adams teachers so maybe there was a little bit of “local” bias in the audience.

I think that there would probably have been a completely different set of results if the competition was being judge by a professional set of judges. My favourite couple of the evening were Simon & Christine from fleet and I was a little disappointed that they didn’t get through to the final.

Commercial Operator

Re: Re: You can't please everyone

Christine and Simon were brilliant in their heat and I had them down as winning it
    That makes it 15 to 1 (assuming Sarah above also voted for them in the heat), come on those of you who voted for Rob and Nicky, speak up, let's hear the view from the other side?

Which reminds me of something which was tricky re. the judging, you just don't see the numbers on the backs of the competitors while they dance, they were each introduced as "a, b, and c" at the beginning of each heat, at the end of each heat I was hurriedly trying to check who was what, we should have had a reminder from the stage. But imagine trying to do this when there are many more competitors on the floor, and you start to realise why distinctive costumes can be important!

and Sarah - a London dancer with good taste, how come I don't know you? (Oh yes, the clue is that you've got good taste!)

Greg
    Last edited by Sheepman; 22nd-September-2003 at 01:03 PM.

A v quick post as I have to go up to Halifax shortly -
    But just to let you know that I also voted Simon and Christine 1st in their heat. They were fantastic.

Though none of my votes reflected the final results in the slightest - I had Taz and Amir miles ahead of anyone else in the finals.

I also chose Franck and Lorna in their heat, and Tramp and Debs who were looking really stylish. And, yes, of course, I thought Marc and Lailli were absolutely stunning. I'm probably biased, but I thought they actually did better than Simon Selmon. I know that Simon can be the most awe-inspiring dancer ever, but he just didn't look right with that music. Still, everyone's opinion is different....

They all deserve congratulations, anyway, and were hugely entertaining to watch. How any one could get up there and dance in front of everyone like that is beyond me. They were alll brilliant!

Finally, many many thanks for the drinks in the hotel afterwards. It was so good to see you all again! Hope you had good journeys home.
    Rachel

Hello all,

despite feeling a little under the weather at the weekend, I did have an amazing weekend. Have been lying on the sofa most of the day reflecting on the weekends events, in between watching the 'Tweenies' with Lauren of course.

The competition was nerve wracking to say the least! Being my first competition I have to say I felt very nervous. But I was glad I did it. Thank you soooo much to Franck for being as ever a wonderful partner, funny and sexy I think they call us. I'll let you guys decide who's who.

Big congrats to Sheena and Brady. I thought you guys danced your sox off. You really did Scotland proud. Has anyone ever told you Sheena that you have a 'lovely figure'?

No one has yet spoke about Rob May's performance. Having done my beginner's training with him all those years ago it was great to see him again and watch him compete. I thought that he danced really well. He is a great performer and a great musician and boy can he hit those breaks and with some degree of originality. (Sorry, can't remember his partner's name).

I do think that the right people were in the final five. What dancers! What outfits! What style!

Had some wonderful dances later on in the evening. My favourite was with Asif, (not sure of the spelling). Really enjoyed dancing with him. Mmm Mmm, I'm still smiling. I got 'sandwiched' between Asif and Keith at the end of the night, wearing my pj's back at the hotel party.
    Lovely guys, thank you!

Special mentions also to Ian and Chris and Nigel and Neil with whom I had some fabby dances.

I had a couple of amazing dances with some guy wearing a blue shirt. Lisa seems to think that he is an actor of some description. Not very tall with short dark hair, cheeky looking. If you know who this may be then let me know. Very dramatic dancer. His picture may be on this forum somewhere.

Finally, well done to Adam and Nigel for organising the event and giving me the opportunity to strut my stuff.

Lotsa love Lorna x-x

Ceroc Franchisee & Teacher cerocmetro's Avatar

Re: Re: You can't please everyone

The whole night was great. All the competitors were fantastic in their own individual way and it was well worth the journey. I danced with dozens of women I didn't know who were all brilliant I spotted loads of women I usually manage to grab for a dance but the night would have needed to have finished lunchtime on Sunday for me to get round everyone
    Congratulations to everyone who took part in the JiveMasters on Saturday. A special congratulations to Nicky Haslam and Robert Winter who won the title and £1,000. Mick & Cynty who came 2nd and won £600 and Amir & Tas who won £400

It was great seeing all you guys down here, I wish I had been able to dance with everyone but once I had finally settled down, it was over.

The video of the whole JiveMasters will be available in three weeks. £12.50 plus £2.50 p&P. This means you will get to own one of the most amazing dance videos ever produced, for less than nearly ever dance video on the market. Call 07768 005858 or email ceroc@hotmail.com

(we did not video the Scottish heat, sorry)

As regards the judging, this time I am not getting the flack. How about next year we have the audience as judges and a pro panel. Two results?? Just an idea what do you think?

Finally thank you to everyone who supported this event and all the crew of CerocMetro who helped make it a great night, no not great, bloody awesome!!!

Adam

Blog Entries
    thinking out loud really ......

next year......any notions of doing a parallel "improvers" comp?
    thinking of people who have either never competed or only ever competed at Intermediate Level, a kind of "B race" ??
    (don't mean that to have negative connotations, would be thinking of it as people likely to be advanced just shortly but perhaps lacking in performance experience??)

Does this set exist??

really haven't put any thought into the practicalities, just throwing it in as a discussion point....

C

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: You can't please everyone

Originally posted by cerocmetro
    The video of the whole JiveMasters will be available in three weeks. £12.50 plus £2.50 p&P. This means you will get to own one of the most amazing dance videos ever produced, for less than nearly ever dance video on the market.
    Is it on DVD? Do people still use video tape ?

(we did not video the Scottish heat, sorry)
    Oh yes I did - on theTramps camera in fact. I can get the footage off him, edit it and upload it somewhere if anyone expresses an interest!

Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't please everyone

Is it on DVD? Do people still use video tape ?
    I am not a techy. I am told the quality would not be 1st rate. It would have to be burned not pressed which apparently also means it cannot be guaranteed to work on all systems.

Oh yes I did - on theTramps camera in fact. I can get the footage off him, edit it and upload it somewhere if anyone expresses an interest!
    It has to be compatible, but perhaps you could email me directly and we can chat ceroc@hotmail.com

thanks

Originally posted by Chicklet
    thinking out loud really ......

next year......any notions of doing a parallel "improvers" comp?
    thinking of people who have either never competed or only ever competed at Intermediate Level, a kind of "B race" ??
    (don't mean that to have negative connotations, would be thinking of it as people likely to be advanced just shortly but perhaps lacking in performance experience??)

Does this set exist??

really haven't put any thought into the practicalities, just throwing it in as a discussion point....

C
    We have been considering this. We have two ideas, one is heats around the country for amateurs, then regional champs, the winners +? go on to the JveMasters.

Alternatively, a complete parallel comp, with the finals held at the same time.

What do you all think?

Also I have heard much about the results, but not much about the event, venue, location. Some feedback here would be good too.

Also had an idea, we have now seen what the audience come up with, how about now the audience and a panel of pro judges?? Two results???

Adam

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't please everyone

I am not a techy. I am told the quality would not be 1st rate. It would have to be burned not pressed which apparently also means it cannot be guaranteed to work on all systems.
    Very true, the Chance to Dance DVD was burned not pressed of course. The quality is only as good as the original video source.

With good verbatim discs though, you're likely to be compatible with the majority. (strangely in the world of DVD players the more expensive the player the more fussy its likely to be).

re: video of Scottish heats, need to speak to Tramp first.
    As for compatible; i can make it available in any format anyone requests.

I thoroughly enjoyed the Jive Masters Event. Cheers Adam for organising such a great event. The venue, music and dancing were all excellent so you really couldn’t ask for more. I only wish I could have carried on dancing until ‘til they served brekkie. We used to dance until they served porridge in my student days.

All the competitors were fantastic to watch and cheer on. Very brave to get up there on the dance floor like that! Well done to Lorna, Franck, Sheena and Brady. I’m sure seeing you guys has encouraged lots more visitors to Scotland! Sheena…..just how far did you kick Brady? He went flying and he already has broken ribs!

Have to mention that I got that "cool! feeling" from the corkscrew turn that Mick and Cynty did…..very nice. I want them to visit Scotland and show us how to do that move!

Originally posted by Lorna

I had a couple of amazing dances with some guy wearing a blue shirt. Lisa seems to think that he is an actor of some description. Not very tall with short dark hair, cheeky looking. If you know who this may be then let me know. Very dramatic dancer. His picture may be on this forum somewhere.

Lorna-is your mystery man called Joe? Take a look on Deb’s Barcelona photo’s. Joe is such good fun to dance with. He’s into amateur dramatics, so he really enjoys playing on the dance floor. What’s more because he’s like that he inspires me to play even more so that it usually escalates into a mad great dance! Next time we see him we'll have to persuade him to come dancing in Aberdeen.

Cheers,

Lisa x

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't please everyone

Very true, the Chance to Dance DVD was burned not pressed of course. The quality is only as good as the original video source.

With good verbatim discs though, you're likely to be compatible with the majority. (strangely in the world of DVD players the more expensive the player the more fussy its likely to be).
    I prefer to cut out risk. Knowing my luck, it would just so happen that everyone who dances will have the wrong DVD player. If we can be more sure, then we will look at DVD, or unless you know better

I would love DVD, the idea of being able to go straight to no. One

In the meantime time, who wants the video £10, we are giving it away, I heard one comp is charging £25 for theirs and I do not believe any competition will have the same standard of dancers as there was in the JiveMasters

Adam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: You can't please everyone

In the meantime time, who wants the video £10, we are giving it away. Adam
    Can I have two copies please? Or if you're giving it away can I have a few dozen lol?

Seriously though, is it a tenner if you order now and 15 inc p&p in three weeks or was that a typo?

Commercial Operator
    but not much about the event, venue, location. Some feedback here would be good too.

Two results???
    OK, just a quickie on the event. I've already said I had a great night.
    Location - a nightmare from SW London, just 12 miles away, and 90 minutes to get there.
    Venue - reasonable (this makes it far far better than Hammersmith Palais whatever it's currently called). An impressive vista with that fountain as you drive up. The floor wasn't briliant, sticky, like treacle in places, also not very smooth in parts. Loos (men's only!) pretty dire (average for town council properties.) Bar was quick and efficient, but those bottles of coke were the smallest I've ever seen!
    Sound system - fine, though too loud at the front.
    Music - JB was awesome as usual, heard nothing of note from the other DJ(s).
    Organisation - seemed to run like clockwork.

You must be kidding re 2 results? The arguments would never stop, but maybe a combined result?

Re. an amatuers competition, a tempting idea, (specially if I could get in it), but would this be for a separate title? And if so would having extra competition detract from the amount of freestyle, which is a main attraction. Also it wouldn't be the same spectacle as the pros.

Greg

Oh and while I'm on:-
    come on those of you who voted for Rob and Nicky, speak up, let's hear the view from the other side?

We're still waiting to hear from those that voted for Nicky and Rob in their heat, rather than Christine and Simon . . .

Thread Information