View Poll Results: How were you hurt dancing?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have been hurt as a result of an aerial

16 31.37%
  • I have been seriously hurt as a result of an aerial

8 15.69%
  • I have been hurt by my dancing partner(elbowed/trodden on, etc)

29 56.86%
  • I have been seriously hurt by my dancing partner(off work/broken bones, etc)

10 19.61%
  • I have been hurt by another couple (elbowed/trodden on, etc)

33 64.71%
  • I have been seriously hurt by another couple (off work/broken bones, etc)

1 1.96%
  • I have hurt another person whilst dancing

31 60.78%
  • I have seriously hurt another person whilst dancing

1 1.96%
  • I have never been hurt dancing (touch wood)

4 7.84%
  • I only came for the free cake.... where is it?

10 19.61%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scar Wars (Murder on the Dance Floor)

Red face Scar Wars (Murder on the Dance Floor)

Much has been said recently about the decision to ban all aerials from Ceroc class nights, the main reason being one of safety. Now I am going to try not to get into that ban idea here (ban thread). I understand, as most of us do that dancing is a contact sport, and as such there is a risk of getting hurt. A ban is one way to try and address that situation. As aerials are current hot topic I have added their own questions.

So, what has happened to you out there on the dance floor? Please try not to get too picky over the poll questions. I have tried to break it into minor and major injuries - I think if you were off work, and/or unable to dance it's a major injury for the purposes of this thread. If you see a glaring error in the poll, feel free to flag it up.

Let's cut out the urban myths and friend of a friend stories, and stick to first hand personal experience. Let the Scar Wars stories commence

This is a Private Poll

Re: Scar Wars (Murder on the Dance Floor)

Caveat: even if every member on the forum voted, we are still less than 1% of the modern jive population of the UK. Let alone other dance styles.

I'm sure results will be interesting, but they will not be representative.

There's also a classification issue here - I think we've *all* been elbowed or trodden on by people whilst dancing - but that doesn't necessarily result in even a minor injury, fortunately, just a momentary 'sting', followed by you giving them an Evil Glare or apologising, depending on who was at fault.

Plus, I think there is room for something in between the "hurt by" and the "off work/dancing" - something like "My dancing activities have been restricted by (injury options as existing)". I would fall into that category - an extremely drunken couple fell on me, which didn't stop me dancing, but wrenched my back enough that I had to say to leads "no drops" for the rest of the weekender. I know I wouldn't be the only person to whom the "Restricted but not stopped" option would apply
    Last edited by LMC; 1st-May-2007 at 02:09 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    There's also a classification issue here - I think we've *all* been elbowed or trodden on by people whilst dancing - but that doesn't necessarily result in even a minor injury, fortunately, just a momentary 'sting', followed by you giving them an Evil Glare or apologising, depending on who was at fault.

Plus, I think there is room for something in between the "hurt by" and the "off work/dancing" - something like "My dancing activities have been restricted by (injury options as existing)". I would fall into that category - an extremely drunken couple fell on me, which didn't stop me dancing, but wrenched my back enough that I had to say to leads "no drops" for the rest of the weekender. I know I wouldn't be the only person to whom the "Restricted but not stopped" option would apply

I've been hurt enough to lay off dancing for a couple of weeks, but there were no bones broken and I was able to continue working with no ill effect, but it was a bit more than an elbow/treading on.

An Eclectic Toaster

For the interest of newer forum members, here's an

old thread

on similar ground, mainly related to drops.

It's just minor stuff for me. Hopefully it will stay that way. I managed to tread on poor Zebra Woman's foot (hoof?) at Chill whilst she was dancing with someone else (1,000 appologies again ).

I got a trodden on with a high heel at the J11 club, and couldn't put weight on my foot properly for the rest of the night I also caught an elbow in the corner of my eye from a lady at Wolverhampton (during an intermediate class) - man that hurt Put on a brave face though... what a tough little soldier I am

Had my finger dislocated at St Neots off work for a couple of days

I've been trodden on a few times. elbowed a few times, and had numerous collisions in general.

Twirly got stood on quite badly at HMS President by a couple doing space hungry drops and ariels (Well I assume they were ariels.. both the follower's feet were off the ground at times)

apart from that I've had no serious bumps or knocks !

So far the most painful thing that has happened to me was getting someone's high heel caught in the space between my arch and my sandal. Doesn't sound much but I have never had a big bruise on the underside of my foot before! And the usual stillettos on the toe nails, on the metawhatsits, ankles etc etc. Ban high heels - that's what I say

Dickie Davies' love-child Cruella's Avatar

Had whiplash from my partner. Have had a couple of major foot injuries (people standing on them) resulting in having to see a physiotherapist and a podiatrist.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke View Post
    It's just minor stuff for me. Hopefully it will stay that way. I managed to tread on poor Zebra Woman's foot (hoof?) at Chill whilst she was dancing with someone else (1,000 appologies again ).

what a tough little soldier I am
    yes, that was Frank go for it Stokie

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    I've been trodden on a few times. elbowed a few times, and had numerous collisions in general.

Twirly got stood on quite badly at HMS President by a couple doing space hungry drops and ariels (Well I assume they were ariels.. both the follower's feet were off the ground at times)

apart from that I've had no serious bumps or knocks !
    how can you do drops and ariels on H.M.S President good greif, no one better have any idea's along them lines on Monday while i'm there,

Weston, May last year I had my shoulder yanked for want of a better word although the noise it made was more of a Pop / Crunch. IT HURT!!!!!!! By a rather large bruitish gentleman who I now refuse to dance with. ( Twirlie, Fletch you know exactly who I mean!!!!!!)

Then Had a two hour drive home with my arm propped up on the car window ( i was the one driving ) as I couldnt move it. Couldnt dance properly for a couple of weeks

It still hurts to this day I dont think it ever popped back in properly and it makes some terrific noises when I do certain moves .

Dancing with sound effects, Do I get bouns points for that?!

Quote Originally Posted by 2Tone View Post
    By a rather large bruitish gentleman who I now refuse to dance with. ( Twirlie, Fletch you know exactly who I mean!!!!!!)

He is the only guy I refuse point blank to dance with and I have told him its cos he hurts me !

Snow White you need to do the same

I had a lady near by fling her spare arm about up around head height (which is fairly unusual because down here the ladies spare arm is usually hanging dead at their sides) and her thumb hit me in the left eye and the nail removed a bit of my cornea. I was off work for a week.

One lady with long nails gripped my hand so tightly she embedded four of her fingernails into my fingers and left wounds that bleed profusely over her dress (a sort of payback I guess) and kept me out of the laboratory for 4 days.

I have lost count of the number of times people have walked backwards onto a dance floor and trodden on my feet. I have lost nails, lost skin and I am sure I broke a toe once (couldn’t walk on the foot for two weeks). I can’t for the life of me work out why people think it is worth joining the dance floor with 20 seconds of a track left to play – and why do it backwards.

My partner recently got a tongue lashing from a woman because she had used her hand to prevent this woman from walking backwards onto her. The woman then went on to move backwards to the centre of the dance floor scattering dancers as she went. She was a newbie and didn’t know better but the taxi dancer that was leading her didn’t have that as an excuse. The next person to walk backwards onto a dance floor and break feet/toes will be getting a bill for loss of earnings, pain and suffering and loss of dance holidays we have paid for.

I have been lifted into a star jump (by Neandertal Man) and then left to plummet resulting in a sprained ankle. It was my first dance at a Camber weekender, the rest of the weekend's dancing was written off .

I have whacked a walking taxi-dancer in the ribs so hard with my spare arm he was totally winded and had to sit down.

Been trodden on so hard by women's stilletos that I have lost two toe nails, one of them has never quite recovered.

Have had the man's elbow hit me on the nose so hard that I was blacking out, but he continued to arm jive me!

My worst injury - Caused by being forced into an out of time pretzel so hard that I hurt my shoulder, result - 2 months off dancing. I have never quite recovered from this, 8 years later it aches for days afterwards if I am lead roughly.

Quote Originally Posted by StokeBloke
    Stokie, please don't fret over treading on my foot, it didn't hurt much at all. It is forgiven and forgotten . Every time I dance in a crowded venue I actually expect to get trodden on at least once.

Not ideal but it's par for the course. Being trodden on is absolutely the least of my worries. Being lead too strongly, having my fingers squeezed, unauthorised aerials/drops are IMO far worse.

One more thing...

It doesn't cause an injury but I can't bear it when the man's finger nails scratch the inside of my palm. Aaarrrgghhh!!! That is so yukky and irritating, luckily it's a rare thing too.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    He is the only guy I refuse point blank to dance with and I have told him its cos he hurts me !

Snow White you need to do the same
    At the moment I spend all night running away when I see him heading in my direction...

On the one occasion I tried to politely refuse, by saying I needed to go to the ladies - he was waiting outside the door when I came out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowWhite View Post
    At the moment I spend all night running away when I see him heading in my direction...

On the one occasion I tried to politely refuse, by saying I needed to go to the ladies - he was waiting outside the door when I came out!!!

yes I know you do

so I think you should do what I did, tell him stright, don't be hurtfull, just direct.

I said please don't be ruff with me or do any dips or drops, he was very ruff, and while we were dancing I said 'NO to ruff' he took no notice at the end of the dance I said i'm sorry you are to ruff for me and you hurt me when he asked me at Glouchester I said 'no you hurt me' you shouldn't dance with people that hurt you,or make you feel unsafe, but I always give peolpe a chance he might not know they are doing anything you dont like, if they don't listen, well you tried your best

end of!

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I said please don't be ruff with me or do any dips or drops, he was very ruff, and while we were dancing I said 'NO to ruff' he took no notice at the end of the dance I said i'm sorry you are to ruff for me and you hurt me when he asked me at Glouchester I said 'no you hurt me' you shouldn't dance with people that hurt you,or make you feel unsafe, but I always give peolpe a chance he might not know they are doing anything you dont like, if they don't listen, well you tried your best
    Superb post.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post

One lady with long nails gripped my hand so tightly she embedded four of her fingernails into my fingers and left wounds that bleed profusely over her dress (a sort of payback I guess) and kept me out of the laboratory for 4 days.

this wasn't me my nails have gone, I took them off at Xmas cos I had ecama on my fingers, there is always a reason for things

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra Woman View Post
    I have been lifted into a star jump (by Neandertal Man) and then left to plummet resulting in a sprained ankle. It was my first dance at a Camber weekender, the rest of the weekend's dancing was written off .
    {quote}

Stokie, please don't fret over treading on my foot, it didn't hurt much at all. It is forgiven and forgotten . Every time I dance in a crowded venue I actually expect to get trodden on at least once.

Not ideal but it's par for the course. Being trodden on is absolutely the least of my worries. Being lead too strongly, having my fingers squeezed, unauthorised aerials/drops are IMO far worse.

One more thing...

It doesn't cause an injury but I can't bear it when the man's finger nails scratch the inside of my palm. Aaarrrgghhh!!! That is so yukky and irritating, luckily it's a rare thing too.
    is this any Neandertal man or UGG!

OK Stokie you have been told what you need to do, go for it

oooo I don't like men with long finger nail unless they are well maniqured and pained like martin Harpers

Quote Originally Posted by David Franklin View Post
    Superb post.
    thank you

I just think about my lovely BARMPOT he has a well shall we say a differnt style.....but you know......he listens....and learns........any tries .....he seem to dance differntly with differnt people, Rachelle Lynn and Caz all dance with him and have helped him develop 'his' thing the best he can, we dance slightly differntly.

he used to squash Rachelle, he said she was like a little bird, 'of mice and men' comes to mind.....yes I know it was a mouse

Just before Christmas, I was 20 minutes into a beginners lesson where there was 1 extra woman moving round. Great. Then a man joined in and the numbers were even. So, the teacher stopped moving us round. Not so great.

I was stuck for 20 minutes and into the first freestyle track doing endless catapults and windmills with the same yanking man. It hurt and I tried to tell him so, but he took no notice. I gritted my teeth and prayed for someone else (man or woman) to join the lesson so I could move on. Prayers were unanswered. Paddington Hard Stares at the teacher also had no effect.

As a result, I had to leave early and spend 3 months without dancing due to the resultant upper arm injury.

How I wish I hadn't been quite so polite and had walked off the dance floor. It's my favourite venue but now, I have to arrive late and miss the beginners lesson in case I get him again. Luckily, he never does the intermediate lesson and I can avoid him in freestyle.

I shall never forgive that teacher.

Daisy

(A Polite but Damaged Little FLower).

Thread Information