Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cure for tiredness at weekenders

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Cure for tiredness at weekenders

Anyone got any suggestionson the best way to deal with tiredness at weekenders?

I know sleep is the best cure but if you dance till 6am then want to do workshops all day, it's not the best option.

I drink red bull so much it no longer works as well. I have become immune to caffine

Re: Cure for tiredness at weekenders

Practice sleeping standing up. Once you get good at that, practice sleeping while dancing.

I can supply the names of DJs who can help.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Practice sleeping standing up. Once you get good at that, practice sleeping while dancing.

I can supply the names of DJs who can help.
    Sheepy, I think he could mean you*

I mean, of course, that we have lovely sleepy dances...... NOT that your music sends people to sleep!!!!
    Last edited by Claire S; 30th-April-2007 at 06:48 PM. Reason: avoidance of potential, unintended insult

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Anyone got any suggestionson the best way to deal with tiredness at weekenders?

I know sleep is the best cure but if you dance till 6am then want to do workshops all day, it's not the best option.

I drink red bull so much it no longer works as well. I have become immune to caffine
    If you read 'The Game' by Neil Strauss (quite amusing book btw) - the guys try out the 'polyphasic sleep' pattern - so they can (hopefully) party on all night.

The 'Uberman Schedule' would be 6 20 minute sleep periods spread every 4 hours. So that would just be 2 hours sleep every 24 hours.

To get to this, you have to train. In the book, the guys try it - and it doesn't quite work out - maybe they didn't follow the training schedule quite right.

Commercial Operator

I learnt at Chill that if you have a dodgy heart then DON'T take pro plus.

I learnt at Chill to take your shoes off and rub your foot with an ice cube

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    The guys try out the 'polyphasic sleep' pattern
    It's been debunked. We get two sleeps per "day": one at "night", and one at "siesta". The only way to reliably sleep more often than that is through severe sleep deprivation.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    It's been debunked. .......
    Yes - it was Professor Mani Fasir and his seminal paper "Polyphasic: Don't do it in Bunk Beds" who drew attention to this aspect of the practice.

As I understand it, this has it roots in WW2, when polyphasic sleep was attempted during escapes from PoW camps. You may have seen the film 'The Great Escape'- when one of the prisoners returns from choir practice and jumps on his bunk bed, only to find that all the wooden slats have been taken out to prop up the escape tunnels - and he falls right through.

To avoid tiredness and feel stress free for a weekender here is what I do……

E.g Southport

I don’t sleep much the week before have a number of very late nights . On the Friday ill probably do the 90 mins journey to work in the city on crowded trains and tubes. Best get the Northern line cira 5.10pm to ensure max crowding.Will have worried about the M6 the whole week if there is going to be major delays.

Will get home 6.30pm knackered with a 4hr drive in front of me. Ill worry more about M6 and will the 4hrs become 8hrs (record is 11hrs). Wont really have packed and will iron any shirts when I get there. Be angry with work for not allowing me enough holidays etc all helps with being calm

Set of at 7.23pm and hope to get to Southport by 11.30pm well ‘rested’. Start to swear when hit the M1 delays. Allow my TOM TOM to take me a new route every time.

When there at 11ish

Will get in Shower and realise its not warmed up and curse the thing, then with lots of ‘spray’ dance till 6.00am and then say good bye to all my friends

Saturday

Sleep 6.01am to 10.30am ish.

Wake 6.02am and text your friends that your just going to bed. It makes you laugh and makes them think your sad

6.03am get hungry so eat dry rice crispicies (will get milk later) go back to bed 6.15am after eating the dry corn flakes as well. Get a text back from your friends ! .Respond ‘sorry mum’ didn’t mean to wake you etc

Sleep 6.30am

9.30am get woken by seagulls or happy people laughing out side , swear and put ear plugs in and roll over. Don’t think "its sunny I should be walking down to the beach" this thinking is a killer

Wake 10.30am ish and think god I need more sleep. You MUST get rid of this thought, that’s the killer also any thoughts re ‘I’ve wasted a day etc’

DON’T spend day saying to yourself I didn’t get enough sleep, just tell everyone else you didn’t get enough sleep

Sleep about 7pm to 8.30pm (ear plugs if you need them).

Repeat on Sunday

Eat crap food drink too much coffee and generally focus on all the women you missed dancing with the night before and the ones you want to dance with again. (or men)

On Monday when you get home knackered don’t go to bed but go out again, when you start hallucinating on the train on the Tuesday stay in that night

another option is to 'go to bed' at 1am every night

Staying awake at week enders takes training Lots of it.

Im a bit like s 38 in that I start training about a week before.

I start to go to bed at 3 am ish instead of my usual 1am ish ( I have the occassional early night of 12 ish)

Luckily as you may have guessed I dont need a lot of sleep as a rule ( wake up for work about 6 am).

A positive mind set is essential to good party stamina.

Think every hour slept is a potential 15- 20 dances lost!!

or an hours chat with friends lost

or an hour watching the world go by lost! Well ok sometimes thats no loss!!!

When I was with my ex we once went to bed to sleep at 8 pm. Something that I had not done since I was 8 years old!!! I felt it was a waste of a day and vowed never again!! To be fair though, I did sleep all the way through to breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by Mac View Post

When I was with my ex we once went to bed to sleep at 8 pm. Something that I had not done since I was 8 years old!!! I felt it was a waste of a day and vowed never again!! To be fair though, I did sleep all the way through to breakfast

I could quite easily go to bed at 8pm, If i'm at home with no one around, my body just shuts down and say sleep.

At the weekend I don't usually sleep on Fridays at all and the possibly 2/3 hours Saturday and then ?? Sunday depending weather i'm on a weekender or not but.........the rest of the week days I have to have 8/10 hrs per night with a nap most afternoons...in the sun today by the look of it

its like been a shift worker, thats my shift pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    I learnt at Chill that if you have a dodgy heart then DON'T take pro plus.

Thats absolutely right! and we will be watching like a hawk! Lay off the red bull too. ( I see you've changed your avarta again! Nice)

The best thing in the world is two shots of espresso

Oh and no sex! ( men get a 500% increase of testostorone after ejeculation which makes them tired and Grumpy! Thats why we can roll over and go straight to sleep in case you ever wondered!!!! )

Commercial Operator

Thats absolutely right! and we will be watching like a hawk! Lay off the red bull too. ( I see you've changed your avarta again! Nice)
    Ooopps Big Brother is watching. Yes new avatar. That is the final change. Happy with it now. Don't like Red Bull. It tastes like medicine!

The best thing in the world is two shots of espresso
    Probably best for me to stay away from that too.

Oh and no sex! ( men get a 500% increase of testostorone after ejeculation which makes them tired and Grumpy! Thats why we can roll over and go straight to sleep in case you ever wondered!!!! )
    That's not your advice to me is it??????? I take it you are answering the original question

My man doesn't need sleep

Oh and no sex! ( men get a 500% increase of testostorone after ejeculation which makes them tired and Grumpy!
    always wondered why i always seem so tired and grumpy

too much sex

ah well

I neck as much water as I possibly can - dehydration makes you tired. Caffeine withdrawal also makes you tired, so I only drink one or two cups more cups than usual. 2 to get me started on the day, maybe one during afternoon and one halfway through midnight freestyle. I eat as healthy as possible - easy food, but plenty of fruit and carbs.

I'll usually go back to the chalet for a coffee and a snack at 12-1am. Go to bed when I've had enough, which could be anything between 3-5 am. Sleep until first workshop I want to do. Workshops/dancing thru' day. Depending on workshops and/or how much fun I'm having freestyling, back to chalet any time between 4 - 7 pm. Sleep if get back earlier rather than later in that time slot. Eat. Get ready to go - aim to be there for 9.30/10-ish.

Lesson learned after first ever SP where I did the no sleep thing and was knocked out by the SP lurgy for the following three weeks. If I'm tired, I sleep. There's enough weekenders that there'll always be another one >shrug<

It's different strokes for different folks - I really hate the competitive attitude around who has the least sleep/stays up latest (earliest?) and worst of all the looking down noses at people like me who need 4 hours sleep in every 24 to make their own weekender the best possible - and the drive home safe.

Blog Entries

I find a shotgun to quieten down the seagulls helps.

As far as I'm aware, though, it's the only option that actually works. Other things like caffeine etc. will help keep you awake and give you energy, but they won't actually stop you feeling tired.

Why not try 15-minute "power naps" between sessions, with your feet raised higher than your head? It might help a bit.

I would advise you to be very careful with that stuff. Drinking too much Red Bull (or anything else with caffeine in it) can be dangerous. I know a local dance teacher who had a heart attack brought on by drinking too much Red Bull, and I know from my own experience that it can affect your heart rate and your dancing suffers. Now I only drink it in moderation.
    Last edited by Baruch; 1st-May-2007 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Correcting spelling.

Can you actually buy real expresso/coffee at weekenders?

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Can you actually buy real expresso/coffee at weekenders?

Don't be silly

I take my beautiful stainless steel bullet shaped percolator and some decent ground coffee. Couldn't survive without it!

Oh and no sex! ( men get a 500% increase of testostorone after ejeculation which makes them tired and Grumpy!
    Aha! At last I see a cure for tiredness and grumpiness.

Thanks Mac

Thread Information