View Poll Results: What's your responses to gayness in dancing?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no issues and feel equally comfortable with gays and straights

38 95.00%
  • I'm comfortable, until I'm asked to dance

0 0%
  • I'm embarrassed by gay people dancing together it still seems "odd"

0 0%
  • I wouldn't want to be taught by one

0 0%
  • Other please elaborate

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gay rights - job done

Gay rights - job done

BBC NEWS | Magazine | Gay rights. Job done?
    I was reading this article at lunch time.

I'm wondering dance is one of the most accepting communities I have been part of (unless your a jerker or a bouncer) - so it's a good indicater for the general population

I'm really interested. Being totally honest how comforatable are you with gay people?

Note: The poll is private
    Last edited by David Bailey; 1st-May-2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Removed thread ref.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Gay rights - job done

nah - it'll take decades for there to be true sexual equality. Look at women for an example, the concept that "a womans place is in the home" may be long gone (as far as most of British Society is concerned anyway) but there are still "glass ceilings" in pay and promotion level in certain industries as well as artificial "positive discrimination" policies which suggest the equality is still something people sometimes feel must be "forced".

When it becomes completely alien to think of sex as a differentiating factor: then we will have equality.

So I'd say gave homosexuality another 40 years before it reaches that same level.

Dancing: couldn't care less about sexual preference. Even if she was a lesbian, how arrogant it would be to assume that she fancies me.

Watching: I prefer any public physical contact between any two or more people of any combination of genders to be kept PG. Whether it's dancing or standing in the supermarket queue.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Danced with Jamie in front of some of the Hastings dancers and again in front of a very well respected former dance champ and teacher. Both sets of people looked disgusted.

Next time we will have to dance in public.

[QUOTE=woodface;366405]Danced with Jamie in front of some of the Hastings dancers and again in front of a very well respected former dance champ and teacher. Both sets of people looked disgusted.

Next time we will have to dance in public.[/QUOTE]

welcome back Woodface

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post

I'm wondering dance is one of the most accepting communities I have been part of (unless your a jerker or a bouncer) - so it's a good indicater for the general population
    Fist of all what is a jerker?

Seriously do I mind dancing with gay people? Am I comfortable with gay people? I really fail to understand what somebody's sexuality has to do with me. I don't prejudge anyone and it's the way that they treat me and are around me that determines if I feel comfortable with them.

My daughter was at the last weekender and she asked if a particular lady was gay. I told her I honestly didn't know. That's the truth. I honestly didn't know because it really does not matter to me. I dance with lots of men. They fact that I would imagine the majority of them are either heterosexual or bi does not mean they all want to jump my bones. Why should this be any different if I was dancing with a gay lady?

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post
    nah - it'll take decades for there to be true sexual equality. Look at women for an example, the concept that "a womans place is in the home" may be long gone (as far as most of British Society is concerned anyway) but there are still "glass ceilings" in pay and promotion level in certain industries as well as artificial "positive discrimination" policies which suggest the equality is still something people sometimes feel must be "forced".

When it becomes completely alien to think of sex as a differentiating factor: then we will have equality.

So I'd say gave homosexuality another 40 years before it reaches that same level.
    Probably agree but Id still prefer a man to rescue me from a burning building and carry me down to safety . Kind of in built factors there if you havent looked

Map reading cant see trusting a women for a least another 100yrs

Quote Originally Posted by DianaS View Post
    BBC NEWS | Magazine | Gay rights. Job done?
    I was reading this article at lunch time
    Hi Diana, good to see you again after Southport.

But for reference relating to your post, I have no problem with "straights" or "gays" as people seem to call them. At the end of the day everyone is just a person, who they find attractive and want to go out with is their personal choice.
    I also dance as a leader and a follower as I'm comfortable like that. BUT, what does get me is anybody who is deliberately pervs on someone during a dance. But this is purely down to the individual level and has nothing to do with sexuality.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 1st-May-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Removed thread ref.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Probably agree but Id still prefer a man to rescue me from a burning building and carry me down to safety . Kind of in built factors there if you havent looked
    Indeed, but any strong physically fit person can be a good fireman (using man in its generic setting) it does not need to be a man.

Watch "GI Jane" for an example of a fit female fitting into a mans world. Its got "Aragorn" and a fit Demi Moore in it

Its not a great film though, to be honest.

Not an issue for me. I will dance with anyone, no matter who or what they are - and beyond dancing it doesn't matter to me either.

What I don't like is double standards - I've never heard anyone complain about two women dancing together, but two men seem to get a lot of people's heckles up (even if they are not gay - just dancing together).

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Danced with Jamie in front of some of the Hastings dancers and again in front of a very well respected former dance champ and teacher. Both sets of people looked disgusted.
    I think it was your shoes

IMHO there is a long way to go before everybody accepts homosexuality. Some day there might even be a backlash where gays have to accept that homophobia is as natural as homosexuality.

Speaking personally I have no prolems with homosexuality, although I do have issues with the way some gays portray homosexuality. And I have a big problem with the sub-group of gays who have a huge number of sexual partners. It is the same problem as I have with smokers. They might argue that they are choosing to take the risks, but I can argue that it's my taxes that pay for their mistakes and divert NHS funding away from special care baby units to treat a disease that was contracted during a recreational activity in a nightclub toilet

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    They might argue that they are choosing to take the risks, but I can argue that it's my taxes that pay for their mistakes and divert NHS funding away from special care baby units to treat a disease that was contracted during a recreational activity in a nightclub toilet
    Maybe they'll put smoke detectors in the toilets after the 1st July

Cool Re: Gay rights - job done

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Danced with Jamie [snip] Both sets of people looked disgusted..
    Imogen had a similar response
    Did you get to do a showcase a solo performance

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    First of all what is a jerker? .
    some one who tugs your arm when you are leading often pulling you off balance. It causes the shoulders to ache.

Okay what about me, how comfortable am I with gay people? I'd like to say totally fine and dandy every things cool, but that wouldn't be entirely honest. Gay cultures can be very different to straight cultures, and I find that I'm only really comfortable when I'm being accomodated to some degree by gay friends or supported within the context.

A few times I have found myself totally out of my depth and range of experience and I felt embarrassed and confused. These were quite extreme circumstances though, as I reflect.

I think its a bit like being black. You accomodate the white people so they are comfortable and slip into your own space when you are with your own people.

I have danced with gay women and straight women and had intimate dances with both. At some level it does embarrass me though, I feel vunerable scared a little and exposed. A bit like it did when you danced with your first man. I blush, they smile, and I feel like a real silly girl! if I'm loving the dance I rise above embarrassmetn and float on the clouds. A few times I've been asked if I'm gay, all I can say is that I've never tried it!

When I dance with gay men I experience a different kind of freedom. I know that what I do isn't teasing them and I feel less inhibited. I know that they won't misconstrue or develop feelings and its less complicated!

The few that I dance with though do seem to understand that its the only way that I can experience totally myself without having to stand back, stand away or maintain some professional distance. For me physical attraction has some kind of responsibility and I feel that sometimes yes it does get in the way.

I think for me the day when a woman who finds me attractive comes and dances as intimately as a man does without me going ridiculously coy is problably some way off. However, I handle the other most evenings that I dance without batting an eyelid.
    Last edited by David Bailey; 1st-May-2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: Removed thread ref.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shodan View Post
    Unfortunately a "nice" moderator set it up and gave it a wrong title without my knowing or permission.

This lead to some comments towards myself and also "bad repping" as it was believed it was posted by me.
    You cant blame the moderators for what stupid people give you negative rep for

I would like to think I was a broad minded, tolerant and not prejudied against other people ....but... on the way to work on Saturday a lesbian couple in front of me were walking along holding hands and then had a big massive snog at the train station, which totally wierded me out. I was then really surprised and annoyed with myself for having that reaction. Maybe we have a gut level prejudice against anyone different from ourselves that we can override (or is it just me being a bad person! )

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Isis View Post
    Maybe we have a gut level prejudice against anyone different from ourselves that we can override (or is it just me being a bad person! )
    Yes it's the fact that it's different. If it was a man and a woman snogging in full view in public hardly anyone would notice let alone mind. It's simply because it was two women.

Everyone should be able to show their affection

Quote Originally Posted by Twirlie Bird View Post
    My daughter was at the last weekender and she asked if a particular lady was gay. I told her I honestly didn't know. :

didn't you read the 't' shirt

Given that one of the motivations for partner dance is the opportunity to meet folks of the opposite sex, I wonder whether we have a lower proportion of homosexuals than the general population.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadful Scathe
    I'd say longer.

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    didn't you read the 't' shirt
    Yes but I almost brought one of them for myself a while back

Thread Information