Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shiny New Sony Ericsson K800i

Shiny New Sony Ericsson K800i

Got my new phone recently. Dang It be Purty !!

Although I must say I had to have two go's at the phone, the first one I took back to the shop.

Just so you are aware there's a slight "bug" in the system (I say bug.. they say feature) When you plug in the USB cable and set phone to file transfer more it white screen resets itself. This is actually by design, when the phone reboots it acts as a USB key.. it appears in windows as a drive you can copy files to and from.

HOWEVER, if you DO NOT have the M2 card in place (and the SE K800i doesn't come with a M2 card as standard) the phone will reboot, go to start up, reboot, go to start up, reboot , go to.. etc

You CAN still use the phone on USB and transfer files, just don't select file transfer on the phone.

Personally I'd ditch the sony ericsson phone suite software (it's a necessary evil to install as it installs the phone drivers too) but instead switch to Float's Mobile Agent (FMA) . Use the version 2.2 beta as it supports the K800i architecture and allows you to sync contacts, send and receive SMS from the PC (while mobile is attached of course) and transfer files. it even allows you to remote control your PC using the mobile.. a feature I rarely have a use for.. but is still cool.

A good phone but be aware of the reboot problem and replace the sony software with FMA and you're laughing.

Re: Shiny New Sony Ericsson K800i

Exactly what I did, I use Float and have done for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Exactly what I did, I use Float and have done for a few years.
    Yeah me too. I used to be a dyed in the wool (EDIT wrote died not Dyed there hehe) Nokia guy.. until the day I wanted to use my Nokia BT to connect to my (then) Palm Pilot PDA.

I got so frustrated I switched from Nokia to the T61 and have been jumping to the next (free) model of SE phone (and FMA) ever since.

Am looking at flashing my phone on Online de-branding and software upgrade service SonyEricsson (SE) mobile phones | WotanServer.com to get the latest software and remove all the O2 Junk and naff SE ringtones you can't normally delete.

(Might consider flashing to the K810 but there is a known bug with the keypad lights when you do this flash)

All in all a nice phone though, the screen is amazingly sharp and actually WAP browsing isn't a chore for once, you can actually read what's on the screen
    Last edited by Beowulf; 25th-April-2007 at 12:42 PM. Reason: oops! spelling!! dyed .. not DIED haha

Hmm Interesting cos i just got sony E K800i last week actually and i have done the usb cable to transfer photos and my fone dont have m2 memory stick as they dont come with it, but i had no problems with the transferring, it didnt reboot etc.. that is probably cos i never installed the K800i cd rom cos the laptop i am using just recognise that i want to transfer pics.

But i will keep that in mind in future. I am loving it although but getting irritated by the fact i keep accidently press the internet button and i dont pay for wap useage!! My grumble is that the internet button is too close to the back up and select buttons.

Shzx

Just change the settings in your phone, so that it doesn't actually link to anything, that way when you press that button you will just get an error message.

how do you change the settings? i did have a look but had no idea how to.. and the instruction booklet were not helpful..

Thanks

Shzx

Quote Originally Posted by WittyBird View Post
    Just change the settings in your phone, so that it doesn't actually link to anything, that way when you press that button you will just get an error message.
    Yeah..you could do that.. I don't error messages though

Quote Originally Posted by Husky_Cat View Post
    how do you change the settings? i did have a look but had no idea how to.. and the instruction booklet were not helpful..
    No.. not the best manual in the world.. Thank heavens for Esato

Quote Originally Posted by Esato Forum
    Start the webbrowser, press right softkey, select navigate/enter address and type in the address of a file located in the phone. It's either file:///usb/ for files located in th ephone memory, or file:///card/ for files located on the memory stick. For example, if you have a picture of your girlfriend, named "girlfriend.gif" stored on the memory stick in the Pictures folder, the address would be file:///card/picture/girlfriend.gif. (Notice the difference between the folder names visible in the phone and the folder name in the address)

When the file is opened, then press right sofkey, select tools/add bookmark and press save. Then open the bookmarks list, locate the newly saved bookmark, press more, select "use as startpage".
    This will cause the internet button to display the picture of your girlfriend rather than connecting to the internet.
    This is what I did.. it's pretty straight forward, and now when I accidentally press the internet key I get a lovely picture instead

Also ,apparently, (I've not done this yet) upgrading the firmware to a newer version means you have to press and hold the internet button for 2 seconds before it connects. When i flash my phone I'll let you know how it turns out !

Thank you for your help Beowulf, but ... i didnt understand the instructions .. was looking at my mobile phone blankly trying to work out the instructions.

But All the same.. Thank you so much for going to the effort to give me the instructions

Shz
    xxx

Ceroc N.I. Franchise Owner drathzel's Avatar

maybe its a wolf phone as LONE WOLF just bought one too. It is very purdy i want one too!

Quote Originally Posted by drathzel View Post
    maybe its a wolf phone as LONE WOLF just bought one too. It is very purdy i want one too!
    Wait a couple of months and get the K810i, and be the envy of both of them!
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    Wait a couple of months and get the K810i, and be the envy of both of them!
    Or flash the K800i to the K810i (essentially the same phone bar the software) and stick your tongue out at smart arsed moderators

Anyway Back to Husky Cat's Problem

Here's a Beo-Guide

1. Get a suitable picture for phone. I quickly knocked up this one
    2. Upload picture to your phone and remember where you put it (Phone or Memory Card)
    3. Press the internet button on the phone (the one that causes you all the problems)
    4. You don't have to load all the page. just wait until you see something loading then press CANCEL (right select button under the screen)
    5. You should now have 2 options SELECT and MORE Press MORE
    6. Now Select TOOLS and then ADD BOOKMARK
    7. Select TITLE and enter something meaningful.. I used INTERNET
    8. Select ADDRESS and type in file:/// THEN usb if image is stored on phone or Card if stored on the storage card then continue with /pictures/ and then the name of your picture
    9. If you are using my image above the link would be file:///usb/pictures/internet.jpg
    10. Hit save.
    11. Go back until you see the list of bookmarks again. Find your new one, select it but don't click on it. Press MORE
    12. Scroll down and click on SET AS HOMEPAGE
    13. Say YES
    14. go all the way back to the main screen
    15. now press the internet button again. You shouldn't connect but instead it'll show you a picture.

if it doesn't work make sure have the file in the right place and have the correct file name. I think if you have a card and you upload images to the phone it defaults to putting them on the card NOT the phone but if it doesn't work just go back to the list of bookmarks and select the new one you added and change the address field.

if you need to use the internet feature again just select it from the main menu (1st and/or 2nd Icons on the menu)

Let me know how you get on

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf1970 View Post
    Or flash the K800i to the K810i (essentially the same phone bar the software)
    You forgot that the K810i is a little less brick-like too...

You forgot that the K810i is a little less brick-like too...
    touché

But as bricks go... it's a very pretty brick !

Ok after giving out some answers.. here is a question..

BodyGlove
    or ICE-25 ?

I normally buy BodyGlove cases.. but I'm not at all impressed with this one. it seems to obscure too much of the phone, the lens cover is blocked in part by the back of the case, and the clip has to be rotated out of the way before taking a pic.

Also (see last pic) the part of the case around the flash is very thin and I think after taking the phone and and out of the case will stretch and eventually snap this piece of the case.

What do you have?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Beowulf; 20th-June-2007 at 09:35 AM.

What do you have?
    I put my phone in my pocket – it seems to protect it enough, though maybe a "condom"-type protector would be useful... Anyone know a good place for them?

I put my phone in my pocket – it seems to protect it enough, though maybe a "condom"-type protector would be useful... Anyone know a good place for them?
    I don't want my phone in my pocket. I need it on my hip on silent and vibrate when I'm in the office so I know I have a call. As you said previously it's a bit of a brick and I don't really want a brick in my jeans pocket. Besides.. with keys and coins already in there.. it would soon get trashed !

And a "condom"?? I have no idea what you mean by one of those? I've seen phone socks but never a phone condom. Do you need to use one of those for all your sex chat line calls?

And a "condom"?? I have no idea what you mean by one of those? I've seen phone socks but never a phone condom. Do you need to use one of those for all your sex chat line calls?
    This was the kind of thing I meant...

This was the kind of thing I meant...
    I'm sorry Ducasi.. I respect your opinions on many things, but those are HIDEOUS !!

I've decided , come pay day, to go for the ICE-25 case and chuck my Body glove.

Thanks for your input anyway.. Appreciated as always.

I'm sorry Ducasi.. I respect your opinions on many things, but those are HIDEOUS !!
    They're not exactly what I'm looking for either, but I like the idea of a second skin.

Very hard to find something nice that works with my new Nokia N95, with its slider, so I think I'll stick to just sticking it in my pocket and seeing if I can find a nice key case to keep them from scratching it. (Think though that finding a good key case will be equally difficult. )

Thank you Beowulf for helping me. Pressing the internet button have stopped now ... :

Shzx

Thread Information