Thread: CRB and MJ Teachers

CRB and MJ Teachers

Came across this earlier today.

Last year, new provisions were introduced requiring school teachers to undergo criminal record checks.

In the case of Dance Schools, criminal record checks (CRB)can be carried out on Teachers, Teaching Assistants (including helpers) and Student Teachers who: "care for, train, supervise or are in sole charge of children".

In respect of the term 'children' this refers to persons up to the age of 18 years.

I was surprised that 'children' included 16 and 17 year olds. The reason this could have consequences is that there are increasing numbers of 'children' at MJ events.

I'm not sure what the CRB covers and what criminal records rule you out. Does Fraud or a driving ban mean you can't teach children. I know of at least one MJ teacher who has a criminal record. Is the fact that he teaches for an organisation mean that the employing organisation is in serious breach of the law? Does this ruling also mean that ALL instructors need to undergo CRB. Anyone know the answers?

Commercial Operator

Re: CRB and MJ Teachers

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post

Last year, new provisions were introduced requiring school teachers to undergo criminal record checks.

In the case of Dance Schools, criminal record checks (CRB)can be carried out on Teachers, Teaching Assistants (including helpers) and Student Teachers who: "care for, train, supervise or are in sole charge of children".

In respect of the term 'children' this refers to persons up to the age of 18 years.

I was surprised that 'children' included 16 and 17 year olds. The reason this could have consequences is that there are increasing numbers of 'children' at MJ events.

I'm not sure what the CRB covers and what criminal records rule you out. Does Fraud or a driving ban mean you can't teach children. I know of at least one MJ teacher who has a criminal record. Is the fact that he teaches for an organisation mean that the employing organisation is in serious breach of the law? Does this ruling also mean that ALL instructors need to undergo CRB. Anyone know the answers?
    Not having a CRB meens you are not to be left one on one or left in a comprimising position with a minor (pre 16, (soon to be 18).
    Having a CRB meens the school/college/FE are not likely to get grief if (and touch wood it never does) anyone touches are abuses a minor.
    As of yet it is not a must to have a CRB but it is the done thing once entering this line of work.

Therefore the above also counts for dance schools/MJ venues.

Also, the search is directed to the place of work, ie school teacher = search for sexual offences. ie zoo keeper = sexual offernces
    Last edited by Achaeco; 24th-April-2007 at 10:04 PM.

Hi Gus

This is an area I have some knowledge of. First up please be aware that legislation regarding CRB checks does differ slightly between England and Scotland, in some areas of sport and tuition the Scottish requirements are stricter than the English ones. In general it is only certain professions such as teachers where there is an actual legal requirement for CRB checks, in other spheres it is voluntary. I'm not quite sure where dance fits into all of this and which government QUANGO administers dance, if it is Sport England (or Sport Scotland) then there are specific guidelines laid down by those organisations. If there is a governing body for dance in the UK then they should have a policy.

If an organisation has contact with children (those under 18) then it is expected practise nowadays to have a written child protection policy, some councils will not hire facilities to organisations without one. Such a policy can normally be cloned from a governing body policy or that of another organisation. The basic policy regarding CRB checks adopted by most organisations is those with contact with children (e.g. do you demo Ceroc in schools?) will be required to undergo a CRB check. Actually getting a check done can be difficult for individuals or small organisations, that's normally where your governing body comes in. The checks cost money of course!

It's a complex area, further muddied by the "oh, we must protect the children check EVERYBODY" lobby. Call the NSPCC helpline for better info, but be aware that the NSPCC are a commercial organisation and will be delighted to sell you their consultancy services. But in general if there are children around you should have a child protection policy, if you are in direct supervision and instruction of children then CRB checks are common practise nowadays.

HTH

The CRB is there to protect vulnerable people, for example a MJ teacher with driving (or maybe even fraud) convictions is unlikely to affect their role as they are not in a driving role or dealing directly with money,

However if said MJ teacher was convicted of any type of abuse then his role may be under question as the "authority" linked to being a teacher may then open up avenues of possible future incidents that would concern the organisers. (and teachers could also be hired for private tuition)

In the care industry I work in we would not employ anyone who has abused peoples trust - even fraud and theft would affect anyone applying for a job with us, as we deal with vulnerable people and you need to be honest and trustworthy. (we are constantly being handed bags and purses by people who no longer understand money)

Driving convictions would not be a concern for us - but they would be a concern for the transport organiser who would need to have responsible drivers and not someone who had been previously convicted of dangerous driving.

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Rocky's a ceroc teacher he has a criminal record. Infact he quite often plays a whole set of them.

I joke, I joke....

I kidd because I love

Aye aye as a person who worked with children in school, as a trainee teacher i knew two or three people with criminal convictions who had been form x ed as it is where i worked.

Basically if the criminal conviction was, for instance for assault in a fight this would be taken on its own merit and that person was allowed to work with children because no sexual or child related crime was involved. XXX XX

Thanks for the reponses. I was chatting it over with a 'proper' teacher last night and its clear there is some real vaugeness about this area. Had advice, which I intend to follow up on, is to contact the CRB authorities to get their opinion (should have thought of that first ). The (un)funny thing is that I am aware of a teacher or so 'abusing' their position by 'dating' (put it politely) under 18 dancers .... but the CRB check wouldn't have made any difference as they don't have a record, AFIK

Whatever the true facts of the case, a recent statement from salsa sueno might also provide some thoughts on teaching private lessons.

SpinDr

Unfortunately, all a clean CRB check proves is that someone hasn't been caught yet Even so, forget the media hysteria about "X paedo caught trying to work with children" - all that proves is that at least the system is better than no checks whatsoever.

In the link that Spindr quotes, it appears that a teacher trusted a manipulative teenager who took revenge for a bruised ego (having her "advances" turned down). Whatever the rights of the case, the teacher taking a private lesson at his home with no-one else present was a little naive - however long he had known the girl beforehand.

Teachers need to cover themselves by ensuring that a 'chaperone' is present if they are doing a private lesson with someone - however old the pupil, and however well the teacher knows them. Keep personal separate from professional.

It appears in the above case that there was a level of trust and friendship which was abused by one of the parties concerned. Very sad.

I have an Enhanced Disclosure - and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here, given the current obsession with the damn things, sometimes for no real good reason. I'm also an evidence checker. The key thing really is "Is the teacher (whoever) alone with a teenager?". In a regular class, that would be extremely unlikely to be the case, so CRB check should not be necessary or mandatory. Disclosures are carried out by umbrella bodies, who have a vested interest in the cash. So best place for advice is with the CRB itself.

Thread Information