Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self Development Books

Self Development Books

Was wondering. Read any that have actually made a difference to you? I tried to read "Ultimate Power" by Tony Robbins but something in the writing style just stopped me getting into it. After attending his seminar I think I understand better where he is coming from and awakened my interest in trying to learn about myself. I'm still cynical about the majority of the books on the market, but I've just started reading Jack Canfield's "The Success Principles". Only part way through but already I've picked up a fair few usefull ideas.

SO .. any books that you thought had real merit?

By the way, and most surprisingly to me, the other book that also has helped me gain a better understanding was another best seller ... The New Testament.

Papa Smurf
    Blog Entries

Re: Self Development Books

best seller ? they can't even give them away - they even leave them in hotel rooms now and they're always left behind

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Was wondering. Read any that have actually made a difference to you? I tried to read "Ultimate Power" by Tony Robbins but something in the writing style just stopped me getting into it. After attending his seminar I think I understand better where he is coming from and awakened my interest in trying to learn about myself. I'm still cynical about the majority of the books on the market, but I've just started reading Jack Canfield's "The Success Principles". Only part way through but already I've picked up a fair few usefull ideas.

SO .. any books that you thought had real merit?

By the way, and most surprisingly to me, the other book that also has helped me gain a better understanding was another best seller ... The New Testament.
    I`ve read The road less travelled by M Scott Peck countless times and i`m always finding out more inside it every time i read it....worth looking at.....

Self help books, heh. I *was* Bridget Jones (except never read Road Less Travelled ironically).

For the last couple of years, I haven't bought a single one. The one that "changed" me - I'm OK, You're OK by Thomas Harris. Don't be put off by the fluffy title, as I was for a number of years. It's deep stuff and worth getting beyond the Americanisms. Basis: transactional analysis (good summary of more modern theory here). Games People Play (Eric Berne) was a superb follow up.

I'm still very much WIP and always will be, but believe it or not, I'm actually slightly less annoying these days than I was in early 2005.

Quote Originally Posted by LMC View Post
    I'm still very much WIP and always will be, but believe it or not, I'm actually slightly less annoying these days than I was in early 2005.
    Woman in Pink?
    Wistful in Paris?
    Woolly in Psyche?
    Wearing ill-fitting Pyjamas?

Not so much a self-help book as a book of wee inspirational stories which remind you there are magical things going on in the world, even if we don't always notice them- 'Chicken Soup for the Soul'. I know it sounds really cheesy but when I was going through a particulalry horrible time in my life a few years back, this wee book kept me going. Some of you might think that's a bit sad, but it worked for me. I'm willing to admit I'm one of the more sentimental people in the population though, and I know it doesn't work for everyone. Just made me wake up a wee bit and appreciate life for what it is.

Nikki
    xx

...The one that "changed" me - I'm OK, You're OK by Thomas Harris. Don't be put off by the fluffy title, as I was for a number of years. It's deep stuff and worth getting beyond the Americanisms. Basis: transactional analysis (good summary of more modern theory here). Games People Play (Eric Berne) was a superb follow up.

I'm OK, You're OK was compulsory reading for us in our final year at high school. The slightly odd thing was that we only had to read about the first third of it ... and after having read the whole thing (not that time consuming) realised this was probably because the latter two-thirds fairly much repeated earlier ideas. It's a really good tool for working out why certain interactions or relations do or don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by nikki View Post
    Not so much a self-help book as a book of wee inspirational stories which remind you there are magical things going on in the world, even if we don't always notice them- 'Chicken Soup for the Soul'.
    By the same author as "The Success Principles".

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

"Conversations with God" - Neale Donald Walsh...

I know... sounds boring. I got one of his books out of the library for my wee girl. a children's picture book about a little angel coming to earth (he wanted to experience forgiveness) and he was worried that in the midst of everything he'd forget he was an angel and wouldn't be nice and kind. It was beautiful and it made me want to read some of his work for adults. I really enjoy dipping into the book.

Another good one is the NLP Coach - Wendy Jago (I think)

Looking back I've read some bools that I've found very enjoyable or moving but didn't feel I'd been given something I could then use or that had inspired me to do something. In the 'good read but no use' category I'd put "Screw it, Lets do it" by Branson and "Heart of Succes" by Parsons. In the 'moving but no use' I'd put "Tuesdays with Morrie" ... but I'd still recommend that people read it.

in a world of my own... where people are nice and there's lots of honey!

Quote Originally Posted by Gus View Post
    Looking back I've read some bools that I've found very enjoyable or moving but didn't feel I'd been given something I could then use or that had inspired me to do something.
    Another one is The precious present.. spencer johnston md. nice book, ... and it really makes you try to focus on the here and now - and for someone who is a dyed in the wool backwards glancer (wow, serious mixed metaphors) that can only be a good thing.

Self help books, heh. I *was* Bridget Jones (except never read Road Less Travelled ironically).

For the last couple of years, I haven't bought a single one. The one that "changed" me - I'm OK, You're OK by Thomas Harris. Don't be put off by the fluffy title, as I was for a number of years. It's deep stuff and worth getting beyond the Americanisms. Basis: transactional analysis (good summary of more modern theory here). Games People Play (Eric Berne) was a superb follow up.

Yeah - this is all good stuff. In fact one of the lesser known Eric Berne books is probably the best: 'What do you say after 'Hello'?.

From a writing perspective in the Transactional Analysis genre, I prefer Claude Steiner - and 'Scripts People Live' is a classic. His Warm Fuzzy Tale is essential reading see online at A Warm Fuzzy Tale
    It takes 5 mins to read and could change your perspective on things.

As I said before, it's all about (psychological) strokes. (Cue Gav....)

Don't talk to me about the warm fuzzy tale.

For some reason, when I was working with a group of primary school kids several years ago, I decided it would be a really neat idea to turn it into a little play for the parents' open evening and they could make those wool pom pom things to be the warm fuzzies (cold pricklies were just screwed up pieces of blue paper, easy). Unfortunately, I failed to remember that 7-year olds take at least 6 times as long to do anything, multiplied by a factor of your own telephone number if that's to a deadline. I spent four days doing nothing but making wool pom poms. I never want to see another warm fuzzy. Ever. (It was all right on the night though )

Quote Originally Posted by JiveLad View Post
    A Warm Fuzzy Tale
    It takes 5 mins to read and could change your perspective on things.

That was a lovely wee story- I love reading all these wee things!

Nikki
    x

I once went on a date with a guy who turned out to have a bookshelf full of "How to...." guides - this was so offputting! It was like he had an instruction manual on how to live his life....... (you know who you are!not mentioning any names ) Worst of all - he gave me one as a gift!

There have been lots of books that have changed my life considerably, but one of the more recent ones would be "Who moved my cheese?" by John Spencer.

Picked it up in a second-hand bookshop in Newtown (Sydney) and read the whole thing, then ended up coming back another day to buy it.

Really good for coping with change and having the guts to up and move away from something less than ideal even if it's not yet totally unbearable. Probably one of the reasons I'm over here, now I come to think of it.

Prometheus Rising - it's a fantastic read that really opens your eyes to the world from the perspective of others.

My favourite has to be 'The Art of Happiness' by The Dalai Lama & Howard C. Cutler. It's very straightforward and easy to read and I find it makes a big difference to how you view and relate to other people, especially people you find difficult.

Another good one is 'Manage Your Mind' by Gillian Butler & Tony Hope. It's like a comprehensive manual of mental health, written entirely from a psychological point of view and is not in any way spiritual.

I also love the M. Scott Peck books and am in the middle of reading the 'Conversations with God' books that have already been mentioned. I'm not sure what I make of those but they are certainly interesting (especially the theory that Hitler went to Heaven!)

Another book I've come across recently is "Give me time" by The Mindgym. I bought it because I thought it was just a time management book. Well, it sort of its but its got a heck of a lot more. Its well broken down and has got some great guidance. Would highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    I once went on a date with a guy who turned out to have a bookshelf full of "How to...." guides - this was so offputting! It was like he had an instruction manual on how to live his life....... (you know who you are!not mentioning any names )
    Don't think we've met?

Quote Originally Posted by littlewiggle View Post
    Worst of all - he gave me one as a gift!
    Ah no that wouldn't have been me then.. I keep all my ones.

I have MORE than my fair share of Self help boobs which I used to read a lot. Practically all of Paul McKenna's books, A swathe of NLP books, books on talking, books on body language, books on improving ones confidence, reducing one's weight, increasing one's mental arithmetic skills, Tony Buzan's books on Memory.. you name it.. I probably had it.

In the end all you need is a good woman by your side...

Thread Information