View Poll Results: Is Ceroc becoming old ?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

21 44.68%
  • No.

20 42.55%
  • Not sure.

2 4.26%
  • Anyone sell me the Sword of Everlasting Cheese on WoW?

4 8.51%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Re: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    Some of the most energetic dancing I've ever done was with a gentleman well advanced in years. It was pretty fast swing and it took more out of me than him.

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    What has never really got discussed much on the forum is how and when aging is likely to start having a significant effect on dancing skills and physical ability. It shouldn't really have an effect on purely social dancing for the reasons which have already been mentioned. But it's reasonable to suppose that the physical effects of age are going to make themselves felt sooner or later, so - how?

A big part of the thrill for me was acquiring fluency and expertise in a physical skill, pushing myself to my physical limits and enjoying the fact that I could train my body do exactly what I wanted it to do. Age will certainly have a bearing on that.

This might take this thread slightly off track, but not sure if it warrants an entirely new thread (so moderators – feel free if you think it does!).

My general feeling is that there are few older women in Ceroc (by which I mean 55+ - apologies in advance if that causes anyone offence, but please note that I am saying older and not old), than there are older men. Follows (who are generally women) expend more energy with all that spinning and stuff (usually – obviously there are many energetic male dancers too, as evidence by all that shirt changing). I’ve danced with some absolutely wonderful older male leads (60’s-70’s), and they’ve made me work very hard whilst apparently exerting little effort themselves! So I wonder if the aging process, as the physical ability to be so energetic wanes, has or will weed the sexes out differently?

Quote Originally Posted by Twirly View Post
    So I wonder if the aging process, as the physical ability to be so energetic wanes, has or will weed the sexes out differently?
    Well I'm 73 and I certainly feel my energy waning

sorry 37.. it just feels like I'm 73

I'm 20 and I've never felt uncomfortable dancing with someone older than me as i think dancing ability is far more important.

However most of my frinds are put off coming with me because they percieve the average age to be too old, and they chose to go to dances such as salsa instead, which is percieved 2be a bit cooler. Maybe this is also down to the lack of awareness of ceroc amongst younger people. My university halls are opposite the Ceroc venue and I'm yet to meet someone who's even heard of it, which i think is a wasted opportunity.

I've just got back from Chill and it was good to be around people my age who dance, but as always my best dances came from a varied age range. But above all i love to dance and I'm most concerned than other younger people might be missing out!

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    I can see that there may be a market for an event that would especially appeal to Ceroc dancers in the 18-30 age range (you don't have to be under 30 to get in just like the sort of music that is played there). ...I haven't been to Jive Nation in central London but from what I hear on this forum it gives me the impression that the music there is pretty new and high energy. Perhaps this is the place to look to see if such events are likely to attract a sufficiently large clientele.
    Okay, so my first post since joining this forum and I suppose I have to answer this post as I have a bit of, shall we say, inside knowledge ;-)

I'm 36 and I find that when I go to a regular Ceroc venue, I am at about the bottom age range of the majority. There are usually younger people around (though not always) , but it isn't many, just a handfull. When I started Ceroc, the Tories were in power, the Central Club was the place to go and Fulham was in the Leopard Lounge. At that time, in my mid 20's, I was at the bottom age range of the majority. How does that happen? The majority of the people that do Modern Jive (as I include a lot of the independants in this) are definitely much older than 10 years ago. In-fact, I would almost suggest that over the last 10 years, new younger people haven't really been targeted as the entry prices have gone up, the music hasn't stayed as current as it once was and the marketing is geard to the majority age group - who have disposable income.

So, what is going on at JN? Well, the music is much more current, certainly more music from the current charts. It isn't the music that people heard at the launch party - that was more clubbing type music, but it is music that appleals to younger people or those that what to challenge their dancing.

The age range at JN is much more diverse than any other night I know. The youngest are 18, there are many in their early to mid-20's and our top age is exactly the same as Ceroc (whatever that might be ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by seamus View Post
    Okay, so my first post since joining this forum and I suppose I have to answer this post as I have a bit of, shall we say, inside knowledge ;-)

welcome to the mad house

I hope we get lots of posts from you shay, and where were you hiding at the weekend

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    welcome to the mad house

I hope we get lots of posts from you shay, and where were you hiding at the weekend

Unfortuantely I had to leave the weekender Saturday morning to come back down to London to organise something with a TV company.......

I guess I owe you a few dances then do I?

Unfortuantely I had to leave the weekender Saturday morning to come back down to London to organise something with a TV company.......

I guess I owe you a few dances then do I?

defiantly, especially as you missed my birthday celebrations.

if you need any help with the TV company i'm always available so are the 'Fletcherette's'

Okay, so my first post since joining this forum and I suppose I have to answer this post as I have a bit of, shall we say, inside knowledge ............
    Welcome Seamus .......... good post and so true

Looking forward to 'hearing' lots more from you

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

The Lindy scene here has a decent-sized student contingent, with many events hosted by university groups on university property. It definitely results in a different atmosphere. Higher energy, certainly. Probably more extroverted. Still a diverse mix of people.
    I'd bet that many of the students aged 20-25 will become star quality dancers when they are 30-35, if they stick with it. One of the nice things about hooking people early is that they have the opportunity to become so much better than those of us who come to the hobby late.

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    give me a young man and a firm bum to grope any time

Well you groped mine during the DWAS competition at Chill Fletch, and you weren't even dancing with me! Was it my lycra-clad legs or your outfit that did it?

And does that mean I still qualify as being 'young' (at 31)?

This seems as good a place as any to make my debut post, so here goes.

I started dancing at 25, and was often one of the youngest at any number of venues down here on the south coast. I would have loved to have seen more, but it was hard to persuade friends of a similar age to take it up, perhaps because the majority of other dancers were at least a generation older. But to me, that was irrelevant, I went for the dancing, and it was my friends' loss, because there are lots of great people of every age out there, and I'm meeting more by the week.

It could be a local thing, because I have been to other venues in larger towns and cities, and there definitely seemed to be a better mix of ages, with noticeable groups of young people. And if I could ever get friends to weekenders, they would see that there are loads out there.

But perhaps money is a big influence. With average entry fees creeping up towards £10, and more venues running each week, and more weekenders throughout the year, it might dilute the mix of people attending, especially at the younger/poorer end of the spectrum.

I thought the title of this thread was ironic though, because I was getting the impression that Ceroc was actively targeting the younger generation, especially when you look at the current crop of teaching talent - everyone seems to be 21 these days.

I feel decidely old after posting this.

Roger (31)

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    One of the nice things about hooking people early is that they have the opportunity to become so much better than those of us who come to the hobby late.
    Honestly Martin, you make it sound like you are some old coffin dodging fart with one foot in the grave. You are in your 20's for goodness sake's, get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Honestly Martin, you make it sound like you are some old coffin dodging fart with one foot in the grave. You are in your 20's for goodness sake's, get over yourself.
    Well it's all relative, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by MartinHarper View Post
    Well it's all relative, isn't it?
    Only if you are addressing a bunch of 5 year olds. Oh...hang on...I see your point.

Anyway, shut it Harper...you are making the rest of us feel old.

I've only been dancing for a couple of years, so I can't say what the trend is. I do notice a lack of young people at certain venues though...

I figure though that with Ceroc now being 25, we're beginning to see second generation dancers coming in at the bottom. These young folks will help to keep MJ young and alive, and will bring in more people of a similar age.

So, no, I don't think that Ceroc is for old people, and I don't think we'll see the average age rise over the next decade.

That said, from a marketing point of view, I think classes and freestyles aimed at the 18-25 market would be valuable to attract more young people into the MJ world.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post
    So, no, I don't think that Ceroc is for old people, and I don't think we'll see the average age rise over the next decade.

why not where do the 'old people' go ?

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    Um... They die?

Seriously, I think there's a pretty balanced "bell curve" of ages doing MJ across the UK. And as we get older, some at the top will leave, and some new folks at the bottom will come in to balance things out again.
    Let your mind go and your body will follow. – Steve Martin, LA Story

Quote Originally Posted by The Librarian View Post
    Well you groped mine during the DWAS competition at Chill Fletch, and you weren't even dancing with me! Was it my lycra-clad legs or your outfit that did it?

just trying to knobble the competition

Quote Originally Posted by stewart38 View Post
    well on Friday i'm going to Utoipa Evasham ..........

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    Ceroc was run by a lot of old fuddyduddys who don't know what the younger set want.

Is Ceroc becoming old ?

Just for the record the majority of staff at the Ceroc HQ are under 30 (and Bradders still acts under 30!) and Alex who works for Ceroc full time now is 21 (most of us won't remember that far back! )

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by lindyloo View Post
    Just for the record the majority of staff at the Ceroc HQ are under 30 (and Bradders still acts under 30!) and Alex who works for Ceroc full time now is 21 (most of us won't remember that far back! )
    The last time I looked Ceroc was being run by Mike Ellard - we all know he has a painting in the loft that does his ageing - however, the version we see is still over 30.

We all know there is such a thing as the "arrogance of youth". But that doesn't mean that all arrogant people are young

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Lets ignore ceroc and talk about the bigger MJ scene for a sec.

Yes it is for old people but for young people too.

Unfortunatly most MJ teachers and event organisers can not see the last 20 years and people under 30 seem invisible.

MJ will die a death unless it is revolutionised.

Had a talk with Minnie about it at the weekend. Was talking about the new generation stuff that does seem to be going on. Lot's of young talent and a compleatly different way of dancing is coming through.

No one can dispute the WCS influance that is starting to take over. Nor can anyone dispute that when a young person walks in to a venue, they are more likely to be inspired by modern music and seeing Jamie dance than listing to some old obscure swing song and seeing Nigel Anderson.

The new gen thing isn't exclusive to age either. It is imaterial. more of a way of dancing and a mind set of playing games on the floor, enjoying the music in a different way and dancing with a different passion.

Thread Information