View Poll Results: Is Ceroc becoming old ?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

21 44.68%
  • No.

20 42.55%
  • Not sure.

2 4.26%
  • Anyone sell me the Sword of Everlasting Cheese on WoW?

4 8.51%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Re: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Quote Originally Posted by jivecat View Post
    Well, if it is, suits me! I don't object to seeing young people at venues, but I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there. The under 25s make very little contribution to my dancing pleasure (although I thought the one dance I've had with young Jamie was absolutely fantastic - he looked a bit edgy though. )
    I feel that my 23 years are against me a little! There's no age discrimination in ceroc or any other kind of dancing, surely it's down to the music, the follower and the leader no matter the age.
    (Should I now go away till I hit my next big birthday? I'll get my coat if someone starts making the cake now!)

Some of the most energetic dancing I've ever done was with a gentleman well advanced in years. It was pretty fast swing and it took more out of me than him.

I don't think the age issue has anything to do with energy or dance style and everything to do with marketing.

I think an individual venue will attract a dominant age group, simply because people will bring their friends and others in the same age range will feel more comfortable.

I know I want to go dancing at venues that are inclusive and attract all ages (and my local venue does).

. . . . . I've had. .young Jamie . . . . .
    Jesus, That'll teach me to speed read

Go girl Go girl
    xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    Jesus, That'll teach me to speed read

Go girl Go girl
    xxx
    Sheesh, Trousers, you're frightening the horses!

Having had overnight to think about this I still believe that Ceroc is for people of all ages and being exposed to a wide range of dance music is a good thing for dancers of all ages.

BUT

I can see that there may be a market for an event that would especially appeal to Ceroc dancers in the 18-30 age range (you don't have to be under 30 to get in just like the sort of music that is played there). After all, Utopia was set up to serve the desires of dancers who wanted to dance to slower music so perhaps a few events that targeted the dancers that liked mostly fast music could be put on to see if they do attract enough people to make them a regular event.

I haven't been to Jive Nation in central London but from what I hear on this forum it gives me the impression that the music there is pretty new and high energy. Perhaps this is the place to look to see if such events are likely to attract a sufficiently large clientele.

All ages. I dance with everyone, be it old, young, fat, thin, male, female, white, green, black, blue, orange... Don't care.

Some of my best dances are with people of a "mature" age. Likewise, I've had a wicked dance with Joe, Fletch's son, and he's 9 or 10.

It's nice to speak to people my own age though, that said, many of my friends are double my age.

To me age is irrelevant. I love Minnie M's signature, "Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!"

I've probably gone hugely off topic cause I'm very sleepy from Chill, but hey.. WHAT U GONNA DO BOUT IT?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    All ages. I dance with everyone, be it old, young, fat, thin, male, female, white, green, black, blue, orange... Don't care.

...To me age is irrelevant. I love Minnie M's signature, "Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter!"
    What he said!

To say what many have already said, it was primarily the mix of ages and music which entranced me to start with, and which brings me back, week after week. The lack of any kind of -ism (add your own prefix). The complete acceptance of, and joy in, people as individuals - not as stereotypes.

Im *cough* a lot older than anyone who has admitted their age so far, and yet most nights, the minute I get on the dance floor I am a 16 year old again, and can keep up with anyone!

In fact, some cant keep up with me!

Is Ceroc for old people ?

Depends what you are going to Ceroc for

If it is for dancing ......... hey what has age got to do with it

I can have a great dance dance with Jamie, Jammy, Adam (of Adam & Tas) etc etc., and age has nothing to do with it, and I am old enough to be their grandmother

--ooOoo--
    Age is a question of mind over matter, if you don't mind, it doesn't matter
    Leroy (Satchel) Paige (1906-1982)

Mickey Mouse's girlfriend, Minnie, made her film debut, along with Mickey, in "Steamboat Willie" on November 18, 1928.
    That date is recognized as her official birthday.

I've done all of these except green, blue and orange.

Must find a punk on a cold day who has been spun a few times too many.

Well, if it is, suits me! I don't object to seeing young people at venues, but I wouldn't miss them if they weren't there. The under 25s make very little contribution to my dancing pleasure (although I thought the one dance I've had with young Jamie was absolutely fantastic - he looked a bit edgy though. )

they proberbly wouldn't miss you

I like to encourage younger people to come into MJ they seem to bring a don't care what we look like just keep practising and have a go attitude

Jamie gets load of people talking to him about spinning, but I carn't tell you how many time I have seen him fall over, he just gets up and tries again

I find as people get older they are less likely to 'go for it' incase they look silly

Some of my best dances are with people of a "mature" age. Likewise, I've had a wicked dance with Joe, Fletch's son, and he's 9 or 10.

many of my friends are double my age.

WHAT U GONNA DO BOUT IT?
    yeah! and can give you a run for your money

ooooooer thats sounds like fighting talk I will arange to have your Ar$e smacked next time I see you

and Joe's nearly as tall as you

Quote Originally Posted by Rios Dearg View Post
    :
    Im *cough* a lot older than anyone who has admitted their age so far, and yet most nights, the minute I get on the dance floor I am a 16 year old again, and can keep up with anyone!

In fact, some cant keep up with me!

I don't understand why people need to keep there age a secret, you carn't change it, its a number and what does it say about you if you wan't people to think your a differnt age, is it that they think if others see them as younger it will make them more popular

did I tell anyone i'm have just had a birthday i'm now 28

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie M View Post

Depends what you are going to Ceroc for

If it is for dancing ......... hey what has age got to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    I've done all of these except green, blue and orange.

Must find a punk on a cold day who has been spun a few times too many.
    there are a few of us old punks still left, i'm up for a spinning

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    they proberbly wouldn't miss you
    I think that's the point I'm trying to make. As I said, they probably aren't intending to contribute much to my enjoyment. The thread started off as a bit of an anti-old-people dig, I'm not going to resist wading in to redress the balance!

People have said everything that is right, proper and politically correct about dancing with blue, green, purple, multi-headed, etc (As I do when I go dancing, although I probably ask to dance less with very young people out of consideration for them!) but it would be interesting to see, in practice, how much crossover actually occurs between age-groups, and whether it occurs equally, younger men to older women and younger women to older men.

After all, it is not uncommon for women, in particular, to complain that they suspect age is a factor in getting invited (or not) for a dance. I don't know if that's true or not. How could we find out?

Sorry, this is off-thread, not really what TA Guy seemed to be asking. Is Ceroc dominated by people in older age-groups? Yes I think so, probably easily proved. It's the effect of masses of child-free, time-rich & affluent Baby-boomers who are probably in ascendance in the poulation as a whole, not just Ceroc. As I said, not a problem for me.

What has never really got discussed much on the forum is how and when aging is likely to start having a significant effect on dancing skills and physical ability. It shouldn't really have an effect on purely social dancing for the reasons which have already been mentioned. But it's reasonable to suppose that the physical effects of age are going to make themselves felt sooner or later, so - how?

Quote Originally Posted by Rios Dearg
    To say what many have already said, it was primarily the mix of ages and music which entranced me to start with, and which brings me back, week after week. The lack of any kind of -ism (add your own prefix). The complete acceptance of, and joy in, people as individuals - not as stereotypes.
    I agree that, if this is true, it is a delightful feature of attending a dance event - but it was most definitely not what kept me coming back for more. A big part of the thrill for me was acquiring fluency and expertise in a physical skill, pushing myself to my physical limits and enjoying the fact that I could train my body do exactly what I wanted it to do. Age will certainly have a bearing on that.

although I probably ask to dance less with very young people out of consideration for them!)

I don't get this comment

when I see a new young person that I havn't seen before, i'm straight over like a shot, I ask them to dance a always make an effort to chat, I wan't them to feel welcome, not differen and standing out

if you don't ignore the young that have the courage to come, hopfully they won't see us a 'misserable old gits'

Quote Originally Posted by fletch View Post
    I don't get this comment

when I see a new young person that I havn't seen before, i'm straight over like a shot, I ask them to dance a always make an effort to chat, I wan't them to feel welcome, not differen and standing out

if you don't ignore the young that have the courage to come, hopfully they won't see us a 'misserable old gits'
    I assume that a young bloke will be mainly interested in dancing with other young people. I observe that this is often the case. I don't wish to be, potentially, seen as perving on someone who might be 30 years younger than me so I am likely to keep my distance unless I have good reason to believe that they will be open-minded about who they dance with. As clearly, some are. But probably not all.

I bear in mind that for every person who swears on this forum that they're delighted to dance with all and sundry there's another one who has stated or implied that some partners are less desirable than others, based on purely physical characteristics. So I just find whatever way that suits me of tiptoeing through the minefield. Your way is to pile in and be everybody's friend. I applaud that, and think you are exceptional in your ability and willingness to do that.

Sometimes I like to look around me to see who might like to be included and made to feel welcome. But not always. I'm not a saint. But I wouldn't single out the under 25s as the most disadvantaged group in Ceroc & thus most needy of my welcoming ministrations.

What's with all these ? You opening a florist's shop?

I assume that a young bloke will be mainly interested in dancing with other young people. I observe that this is often the case. I don't wish to be, potentially, seen as perving on someone who might be 30 years younger than me so I am likely to keep my distance unless I have good reason to believe that they will be open-minded about who they dance with. As clearly, some are. But probably not all.

Your way is to pile in and be everybody's friend. I applaud that, and think you are exceptional in your ability and willingness to do that.

I'm not a saint.:rolleyes: But I wouldn't single out the under 25s as the most disadvantaged group in Ceroc & thus most needy of my welcoming ministrations.

What's with all these ? You opening a florist's shop?

firstly all the are because I am aware that posts can be take the wrong way, or not the way it was intended, I was hoping with the you would realise I my post was not meant nasty, you know me I was just been a saint.

why would you think that dancing with someone young will be looked at as perving, guilty minds and who is it that your so bothered about thinking this every one or just certin people

is it me trying to be what you think people want you to be, well it all seem like hard work and confussing

give me a young man and a firm bum to grope any time

ooooer I hope you don't think i'm perving

give me a young man and a firm bum to grope any time

Young & Firm don't always go ......ahem .....Hand in hand !!!

I have just voted that Ceroc is getting old. So am I, so are we all. But it does not mean it or us are losing energy. I danced with youngsters at Chill who could not keep up to a fast track and.... you only have to see whos around at 6 30 am to see where the energy lies.!!

(but then if you,ve run out of energy, you wouldn't would you )

I am also one of those people that is wary of dancing with young and pretty women because there is always a concern in my mind that they MAY harbour a suspicion that my desire to dance with them will be will be based mostly on their youth and beauty. I also think that the situation is more severe for older men asking young women to dance than it is for older women asking young men to dance. The terms “dirty old man” or “lecherous old man” are quite well used but there doesn’t seem to be a similar phrase to be pointed at females because that situation so rarely arises.

So, I am concerned how my approaches to young female dancers may be viewed. I feel much more comfortable when I am sure that they know that I am happily partnered and can see that I don’t exclusively dance with the young women in a venue. I also dance with the young ( 14ish) daughter of a forumite on those few occasions when we meet at events and I feel comfortable about that because I know that her mother knows me quite well and is present in the room as well. I just would not dance with her that otherwise.

I know my partners’ daughter was put off dancing, mostly because on her one and only trip to a dance venue the only people asking her to dance in the freestyle were the older men in the room despite our efforts at making introductions for her. Were these older men simply being kind and welcoming to new dancers or was there another agenda that they were following? I don’t know but it certainly put No1 daughter off of ever trying MJ again.

It also seems to be the case that is a man is accused of impropriety they find themselves in the situation of having to prove themselves innocent (as many a school teacher has found) and even if they can do that beyond doubt people still harbour suspicions long after the event. It is a position I would not like to lay myself open to and so I am very careful about dancing with young women that I hardly know.
    Last edited by Chef; 24th-April-2007 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TA Guy View Post
    I'd also point out that the general standard of fast dancing, I.E. Dancing which takes energy and life, has declined a lot in the last ten years or so. That has, of course, been matched by a rise in the popularity of slow dancing. To the point where Ceroc have opened there own old peoples home called 'Utopia' (sorry, couldn't resist that, only a joke!).

Personally, whenever I've walked into a freestyle, and I've felt amongst one of the youngest there (I'm in my forties, and it does happen), the freestyle has always been pretty uninspiring. I think you need the energy and enthusiasm of youth.
    I'm not sure you can really relate age and speed of the music. I'm 26, so I guess that makes me one of the younger ones, and I like slow (very slow in fact) music. I don't have any injury, I can dance fast, I just don't like it as much. To me the average music that is played in ceroc freestyle is too fast and pop-y for my taste (although I'll dance to it for lack of other options). Am I simply an exception?

I don't usually find fast dancing more inspiring than slow dancing either...

May be if you like faster music and a more energetic style, you should try some different style like rock'n'roll or lindy ?
    Last edited by Caro; 24th-April-2007 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    It does annoy me when people descriminate by age. I noticed that a few ceroc 'facebook' pages have been started but have been put off joining them by some of the comments made e.g. suggestions of 'under 30's free styles' or even 'under 25's free styles'. I think it is sad that people feel the need to encourage such segregation. One of the things that attracted me to ceroc was the way it was enclusive of all ages. Okay so some people might want to dance to faster/slower music but this doesn't necessarily correlate with age and you can't please everyone all of the time.
    I started doing ‘ceroc’ when I was 29 and felt my age was about ‘average’

Im 42 now and still think my age is about ‘average’

Probably the ‘average age’ has gone up 8/10 yrs ? in the last 13yrs ? I don’t know maybe it hasn’t ? what is the average age now ,40 ?

If I was running it as a business you bet id aim it at the younger market

I don’t think ceroc is for ‘old people’ but it will be interesting to see what happens with it in the next 15yrs.

I think there are far more people in ceroc in their 50s and 60s now cf mid 1990s. that could be bo***** of course

If you were running it as a business you would be missing the target. Older people have more money more time and more commitment.

that makes good business sense to me. The young target is a futures gamble. and for that of course its a valid one

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    I also think that the situation is more severe for older men asking young women to dance than it is for older women asking young men to dance. The terms “dirty old man” or “lecherous old man” are quite well used but there doesn’t seem to be a similar phrase to be pointed at females because that situation so rarely arises.
    Speak for yourself !

An older women at Chill said she had strained her thigh and asked me to have a feel, no lie

Checking the other thigh for comparison and dancing another 5 tracks ,afterwards I felt totally ‘used’. What do you call women like that ? (by phone I think ?)

Id never dance with someone under 20 (unless of course was a friends daughter etc)

Thread Information