View Poll Results: Is Ceroc becoming old ?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

21 44.68%
  • No.

20 42.55%
  • Not sure.

2 4.26%
  • Anyone sell me the Sword of Everlasting Cheese on WoW?

4 8.51%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Re: Is Ceroc for old people ?

Quote Originally Posted by ducasi View Post

I figure though that with Ceroc now being 25

Yes they celebrated their 25th at Chill.

Let me see - Newbies retention level very low; average age at start of Ceroc say 20 = average age now, about 40!

At the next anniversary the average age will be 55, then 70

Quote Originally Posted by woodface View Post
    Jamie will always accept a dance but alot of people fear asking him. I used to feel like that when I first started MJ'ing about asking teachers/demos for a dance. Soon got over it and realised there is nothing to worry about as a majority of them are nowhere near as good as I would have thought them to be.
    I wasn't talking about teachers and demos in general - I was talking about the MJ superstars that have a queue of women halfway round the room waiting to dance with them, and a crowd of onlookers as well. There's only a handful of those.

I started dancing when I was 14 and everyone I danced with was much older in comparison. This fortunately didnt put me off, but it has detered my friends in the past.
    Age has no relevance in modern jive, my enjoyment of a dance is based on so many other factors. Modern Jive has something to offer every age range.
    IMO To appeal to the younger generation and to therefore keep MJ alive, organisations need to work on their promotion . DJ's also need to keep an eye on the charts, just a handful of up to date tracks an evening would encouage 18-30yr olds to attend.

Zara xxxxxxx

Quote Originally Posted by Chef View Post
    Most of the people that are a bit older than them (approx 25-35) seem to be doing the having and bringing up children thing and that occupies most of their time.

After that age people find themselves with more free time either due to their child rearing responsibilies decreasing or they have seperated from their partner and it is a convenient way of getting out and meeting the opposite sex without it looking too obvious.
    Damn it! At 31 I knew I was supposed to be doing something other than travelling, dancing and generally having a good time - I just didnt realise I was supposed to be speed rearing a child to adulthood in ten years, then ditching my partner and taking up ceroc to covertly look for another one!

Quote Originally Posted by the whale View Post
    I don't believe it, probably my first serious question on this forum...

and you make me blush
    I was going to say "a dance with me"

I'm 28 and MJ is the first form of dance I've tried. I remember when choosing between dance styles being mildly interested in the age demographic (but not nearly as much as other things), such that I'd prefer a "younger dance" like this or Salsa. Ceroc was certainly advertised as if it was a dance for the younger generation and there was a poll on this forum that made out it was pretty much an even spread all the way from 20-50 which was great. My first nights have been slightly older than I anticipated but it hasn't bothered me, and theres certainly been a share of younger people. Maybe the internet demographic skewed the results?! Would anyone say that Salsa or some other styles are generally younger?

I supose the complete answer to that is YES and its for young people as well.
    The regular venue i go to has a complete mix 16 to 80

Commercial Operator
    Blog Entries

Along the south Coast from Brighton through to Hastings apart from Ceroc Brighton which has a majority of younger dancers, all the venues are populated mainly by 60 + year olds.

There are a few very talented younger dancers in Brighton (vegtable, Zara etc) and none in Eastbourne, Bexhill, Hastings. The Teacher in Hastings is 70 this year !!.

I am aiming this year to try several projects to try and introduce younger people to dancing. Personally I think the way to do it is younger teachers and failing that, younger music. More Hip Hop, RnB etc.

One of the first things I am doing is running a Night Club 2 Step workshop and advertsing it at the local college.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Would anyone say that Salsa or some other styles are generally younger?
    Don't know what is classified as younger really, I am still 18 in my head although I have to confess ,and I am sure it will come as a shock to some that I am not.

I think that there is a lot of kudos with Salsa amongst the younger dancers, my experience of most of the Salsa clubs I have gone to around the Northwest, including Manchester city centre and outskirts is one where there are generally more dancers who would be ticking the 20 - 30 box. However the big club in Manchester is primarily a night club, and treated by the majority as such, rather than a specific dance venue.When I went last it became very obvious that I couldn't have the same connection with a dancer that I could in a MJ venue , because it would have been misconstrued and I was just going to have a dance.

In my experience AT, Ballroom and Latin seem to attract a mix that tend in the majority to be a bit older. At the Ballroom and Latin class that I go to there is a good mix of ages. One lady that goes to this venue in Sale Manchester is in her 80s and got picked to go into the Strictly Ballroom house the year I think Jamie Mcloughlin was in it. She had to leave because her partner who was in his 30s could not keep up with the demands that the dancing made on him. What a great lady she has been dancing all her life and is a fit as a flea with a great figure.

In my book dancing keeps you young and age is only a number.
    Last edited by rubyred; 6th-February-2008 at 06:15 PM.
    if you love the life you live then you'll get a lot more done

Quote Originally Posted by rubyred View Post
    In my book dancing keeps you young and age is only a number.
    Oh, I wish ..............

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    to still be fit enough to Jive/dance into my seventies, provided the ladies will still partner me.

Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dep View Post
    to still be fit enough to Jive/dance into my seventies, provided the ladies will still partner me.
    Oi - I'm not in my seventies (yet)

I guess I'd like to know how old "old" is...

Commercial Operator

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    I guess I'd like to know how old "old" is...
    It's no age, it's relative, usually 15 years older than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy McGregor View Post
    It's no age, it's relative, usually 15 years older than you are.
    Thanks - I checked TA's first post, and as he says he's in his 40's then I'm presuming he's calling that "old".

Quote Originally Posted by ~*~Saligal~*~ View Post
    Thanks - I checked TA's first post, and as he says he's in his 40's then I'm presuming he's calling that "old".
    if that's old then I'm ancient.

Age is no barrier when it comes to MJ.But now that there is a big swing towards Blues/WCS and more expressive interpretation of music it does pose a problem to me.Much as I love the current trend of Blues/WCS,as a 66 year old,I would feel uncomfortable for my partner as well as myself,dancing with anybody that is significantly younger than me for fear that the dance would be viewed by some,and they will,as anything but sleaze.That is of course assuming that any young lady would be comfortable in that situation in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Raul View Post
    Yes they celebrated their 25th at Chill.

Let me see - Newbies retention level very low; average age at start of Ceroc say 20 = average age now, about 40!

At the next anniversary the average age will be 55, then 70

I started ceroc when i was 29 and im sure the average age then was around 29

Im now 38 ok 42 for one more day and im sure the average age is around 40

I would suggest the average has gone up about 10yrs

Thats based on a few venues/weekenders

Im sure it will go up further over the next 10yrs probably to cira 45 ?

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post

Age is no barrier when it comes to MJ.
    Sad to say not quite true. Infirmities will take over eventually :-(

Quote Originally Posted by djtrev View Post
    But now that there is a big swing towards Blues/WCS and more expressive interpretation of music it does pose a problem to me. Much as I love the current trend of Blues/WCS, as a 66 year old, I would feel uncomfortable for my partner as well as myself, dancing with anybody that is significantly younger than me for fear that the dance would be viewed by some,and they will, as anything but sleaze. That is of course assuming that any young lady would be comfortable in that situation in the first place.
    Yes, as one with even more seniority, this is an issue of which I am all too well aware; even in the standard Ceroc experience. But most of this I am sure is in my mind; in reality I struggle to recall any signs or instances of ageism. I guess I'm part of the scene at my local classes and, whilst I mostly choose to dance with 50+ year olds (even they, significantly younger than me I have to say !!), a number of younger ladies seem quite happy to dance and request. I am grateful and humbled.

The trend toward slower tempos and the subtleties and sensualities of blues and wcs is only just beginning to impact out here in the limbo between the west country and the south midlands. A local Lindy outfit brought in a Nigel and Nina blues workshop a year or two ago, and now Strictly Ceroc introduces a coupl'a Sunday WCS workshops and a following Tea Dance. Not much to work on, but I do hope it's a trend that will continue.

However, as you intimate, present times are a real invitation and challenge to we oldsters as the music, I hope, moves in our direction. At its behest we must forget the years and dance and connect with intent and conviction so that, as we dance, leader and follower alike, reality may be subsumed and we can be whatever we may imagine.

One of the most active dancers in South Wales is in his seventies, and he's rarely off the floor all night. He'll dance with anyone of any age, and he really is an inspiration. If I'm as active as that if and when I reach his age I'll be happy!

Thread Information